Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Great! Back to dissapointment

Comments

• Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    Orchid13 wrote: »
    I'm getting tired of one EP per year. Great for those who are excited about the family GP, but I was expecting pets... and an EP in general.

The stuff pack... so we are just getting stuff we already have? A-ma-zing!

This is getting ridiculously slow.

Do you prefer rushed and mediocre content, or very slow to release but great content (like toddlers) ?
    Between speed of release and quality, you've got to choose. You can't have both.

This argument needs to die.

Slow production =/= Guarenteed quality. It's possible for there to be a correlation, but it is not a guarentee. I'd remind you that Late Night and Ambitions were both made in half the time of GTW and City Living, and I got news for you: the quicker made EPs got better acclaim.

If we were getting absolutely amazing EPs once per year, you might not hear complaints if they were worth the weight.

Our last EP was a really pretty backdrop. The one before it was a concept that would synergize wonderfully with a fully fleshed out game...but we don't have a fully fleshed out game. (yet?) The one before that decided to mimic the general structure of one of Sims 3's least popular expansions (Showtime), and seemingly phoned in some of it's more unpolished features.

We are getting neither speedy development nor quality content from the EPs. That's the problem.

It's not even a real argument? Quality really we have a crazy amount of patches that are STILL making up for stuff we didn't get 3 years ago. The game started out being half baked cause developers cared more about the release date than the quality of the game. I won't forget family tree , pool, cops, firemen, gardener, transportation, toddlers, repairmen, DISHWASHERS. I mean thank god we got maids!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited April 2017
    @DoloresGrey- not trying to be rude or come off as anything like that. But you have to admit... TS4 does get quite tiresome after awhile? When I go back and play TS4 since the only two games I play at the moment are TS4 and Planet Coaster, I play with a household for about 2 to 3 hours, but once they've completed aspirations, mastered their profession, had children, and grandchildren, and die, it begins to get repetitive. You begin to run out of things to do.

At times, when I start the game, I dread playing the actual game because I've done everything there is to do in the game. So I end up creating 20 households and some new builds, and even that can become tedious at times. Simmers will always want more... we're dedicated fans. Some are newbies who became infatuated with The Sims during TS3 days and even TS4. Some got acquainted with The Sims in TS2 glory days, and others have been die-hard fans since the very beginning with the stick figures and their cookie-cutter houses.

We just want more and exciting ways to play. All other major game titles deliver on game play content that keeps their fans coming back for more. Look at Elder Scrolls Online... they're about to release Morrowind, the biggest DLC in 3 years, not to mention my husband is addicted to that game, and he's always playing and never become bored. Planet Coaster has limits but I can do anything with that game and never get bored. I didn't get bored with The Sims, Sims 2 or Sims 3, but Sims 4 is... eh, it's like a app game, a time waster, it doesn't hold much value and consistency anymore.

Sorry, it is not for me. But, I understand simmers want more and they always will. And new stuff will come for sure. You just need to wait for it. They can't release everything immediately right now. Complaining won't help. Words can hurt. Devs are just human, they read it and it can hurt them too (I don't mean this post).

I mean, critic opinions are okay, it is feedback too but it could be more of constructive then destructive. And from what I read, they are mostly destructive, I would say offensive.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Yubell wrote: »
    I'm getting tired of one EP per year. Great for those who are excited about the family GP, but I was expecting pets... and an EP in general.

In my opinion I'm fine with the layout of everything so far; I like having more Game packs over expansions because it gives the devs a specific topic to work on that's more fleshed out for example Vampires game pack was great because vampires had a lot more thought and focus put into them, they were more fleshed out than lets say a Supernatural expansion pack with has about 4 supernatural life stages to focus on than just the one and plus it's cheaper than an expansion.

I think 2017 has been a great year for the sims and that the team is really trying to show us that they are listening, heck we get to choose a theme for a stuff pack and see the in depth creation of a sims 4 stuff pack. Plus we got toddler which were perfectly implemented into the franchise, giving us a glimpse at a brand new variation of toddlers that honestly works great with the emotion system.

I honestly think we will get 2 expansions this year because for the first 2 years the team have probably been secretly working on toddlers, so more time can now go into working on expansions and gamepacks now that toddlers are released. And I don't know about you but I'm super hyped about this new gamepack because from what I can make out we'll get some sort of school theme/hobbies for each lifestages which will be great; and in my opinion I thought I saw a different variation of child in the quarterly teaser, may just be my eyes playing tricks of me :smiley:

I honestly think pets is the next EP, because when have the code leaks ever been wrong? they weren't about toddlers, City Living or Vampires who says it won't be for pets? :wink:

In my opinion I'm fine with the layout of everything so far; I like having more Game packs over expansions because it gives the devs a specific topic to work on that's more fleshed out for example Vampires game pack was great because vampires had a lot more thought and focus put into them, they were more fleshed out than lets say a Supernatural expansion pack with has about 4 supernatural life stages to focus on than just the one and plus it's cheaper than an expansion.

I think 2017 has been a great year for the sims and that the team is really trying to show us that they are listening, heck we get to choose a theme for a stuff pack and see the in depth creation of a sims 4 stuff pack. Plus we got toddler which were perfectly implemented into the franchise, giving us a glimpse at a brand new variation of toddlers that honestly works great with the emotion system.

I honestly think we will get 2 expansions this year because for the first 2 years the team have probably been secretly working on toddlers, so more time can now go into working on expansions and gamepacks now that toddlers are released. And I don't know about you but I'm super hyped about this new gamepack because from what I can make out we'll get some sort of school theme/hobbies for each lifestages which will be great; and in my opinion I thought I saw a different variation of child in the quarterly teaser, may just be my eyes playing tricks of me :smiley:

I honestly think pets is the next EP, because when have the code leaks ever been wrong? they weren't about toddlers, City Living or Vampires who says it won't be for pets? :wink:

I'm sure we are getting pets too, I did like vampires but I think it's sad that we have to look forward to GPs cause EPs are a constant disappointment. I think it's almost a good thing that if the new GP is like generations... who knows what stuff would be missing in an EP
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

Agree with you 100%
    It's not just the toddlers remember...it's pools ghosts and whatever else they patched in the game that's undoubtedly cost them resources.

With all of that presumably behind them I'm optomistic that we will see 2 EP's this calnadar year as well.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm honestly feeling pretty good about this game. Yes, there are definitely a lot of SPs. I don't have to buy what I don't want though. I did end up getting Bowling over the weekend and I'm fine with it. I send some of my sims bowling sometimes as an activity. Plenty of them don't go bowling but it is another option for them. Right now, I have a few specific sims who like bowling. I haven't developed bowling clubs/teams yet but it might happen as they gain more skill. The Oasis Springs Dust Bowl fits in well in my game, it solved the question of what would replace the trailer in that neighborhood for me. Also, adding bowling lanes to my cinema in Newcrest has brought a lot more sims in the door both to bowl and to do other activities. All in all, I'm happy with it.

I would have loved to see Pets soon. I basically showed up on this board because of the hype that swirled around about Pets. I'm still grieving for one of the dogs in my screen name who passed away last year. I'm glad to see a family-oriented GP though. Sometimes I'm a family player - nearly all of my sims have children eventually - and I did love Generations. I was shocked to hear that it wasn't popular on here because I was a big fan.

Anyway, I know that I'm mostly a lot of rambling positivity on here but it's because I generally do like most what they are doing. I agree with you though that it would be nice if it weren't always just one EP a year. That said, I'm glad that some of the other content comes at lower price points than $40. Yes, I realize that it all adds up but we can choose when or if we buy it. In my case, I can generally buy more content over time, but I'd rather not always drop $40 when I want to add something to the game. I also never used the TS3 Store and I completely see how they have tried to get more control over that market share of content by releasing so many SPs. I don't mind it but I see why others do.

I also agree that some of the EPs have been buggy or have had notable limitations. GTW needs some major love. I liked CL personally but I agree about that not being able to edit apartments at all coupled with the lack of lot space is a limitation. GT has been great for me and I've gotten so much gameplay from it but I'm sure that not everyone else has gotten into the cesspool of characters in that game like I have. Lol.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    I'm honestly feeling pretty good about this game. Yes, there are definitely a lot of SPs. I don't have buy what I don't want though. I did end up getting Bowling over the weekend and I'm fine with it. I send some of my sims bowling sometimes as an activity. Plenty of them don't go bowling but it is another option for them. Right now, I have a few specific sims who like bowling. I haven't developed bowling clubs/teams yet but it might happen as they gain more skill. The Oasis Springs Dust Bowl fits in well in my game, it solved the question of what would replace the trailer in that neighborhood. Also, adding bowling lanes to my cinema in Newcrest has brought a lot more sims in the door both to bowl and to do other activities. All in all, I'm happy with it.

I would have loved to see Pets soon. I basically showed up on this board because of the hype that swirled around about Pets. I'm still grieving for one of the dogs in my screen name who passed away last year. I'm glad to see a family-oriented GP though. Sometimes I'm a family player - nearly all of my sims have children eventually - and I did love Generations. I was shocked to hear that it wasn't popular on here because I was a big fan.

Anyway, I know that I'm mostly a lot of rambling positivity on here but it's because I generally do like most what they are doing. I agree with you though that it would be nice if it weren't always just one EP a year. That said, I'm glad that some of the other content comes at lower price points than $40. Yes, I realize that it all adds up but we can choose when or if we buy it. In my case, I can generally buy more content over time, but I'd rather not always drop $40 when I want to add something to the game. I also never used the TS3 Store and I completely see how they have tried to get more control over that market share of content by releasing so many SPs. I don't mind it but I see why others do.

I also agree that some of the EPs have been buggy or have had notable limitations. GTW needs some major love. I liked CL personally but I agree about that not being able to edit apartments at all coupled with the lack of lot space is a limitation. GT has been great for me and I've gotten so much gameplay from it but I'm sure that not everyone else has gotten into the cesspool of characters in that game like I have. Lol.

I think GT is like the only decent EP
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    2HubbiesNLove2HubbiesNLove Posts: 658 Member
    @DoloresGrey And truth be told, I don't blame Maxis... if anyone is to blame it's EA. I feel so bad for the Gurus. That's why I would never intentionally call out a Guru, since The Sims is technically an EA property. Maxis is EA's superior. Everything Maxis does has to be approved by EA. EA pockets the money Maxis produces with their products. Sims 4 could make $5 million in sales, but only gives Maxis a budget of $100,000.00 for content to be produced for a year. It's unfair, but that's how greedy corporations work. Something that I respect from Frontier. They worked under Atari so they left Atari, and is now producing and developing games that fans actually want and they do deliver.

I think that's something a lot of fans forget about when it comes to Maxis and EA. Everything Maxis wants to do has to be pre-approved. They could work on something brilliant, but EA can step in and tell them to scratch it off. Why do people not think that so many packs come out half-baked? They don't want to throw all the great stuff in one pack. That's less money in EA's pocket. Like Get Together and Movie Hangout. Movie Hangout could have been part of Get Together. It's great business for corporations. EA rather Maxis produce content here and there so we, the consumer, will buy it up... but if you dissect each pack (stuff, game and expansion) you can easily find content that could have been merged into one, leaving more content to be produced with a higher budget.

That's why the game itself is a let-down in general, but we can't blame Maxis/Gurus... they have to work to pay the bills. If we want to blame anyone it should be EA and their greedy money-making practices.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Boo hoo.

The release too much, it's crazy, who can keep up?

They don't release enough, I'm so disappointed.

The complaints happen no matter what the devs do.

Boo freakin hoo.

this person always complains.

No. I love this game. I point out the ridiculous whiners. Get it right.

I was talking about the OP :)
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    @Orchid13 Yes, I agree for sure that it's disappointing having only one EP per year.

And you are correct about the fitness pack... we have Spa Day already, plus a lot of fitness options already. So not too sure what this would really offer. I mean I'm not saying there's nothing new that could be done in the fitness area, it just feels repetitive is all. I hope they wow me
  • Options
    Lomelindi7 wrote: »
    @Orchid13 Yes, I agree for sure that it's disappointing having only one EP per year.

And you are correct about the fitness pack... we have Spa Day already, plus a lot of fitness options already. So not too sure what this would really offer. I mean I'm not saying there's nothing new that could be done in the fitness area, it just feels repetitive is all. I hope they wow me

To me is not only repetitive but they are trying to get money out of features they have actually added along with half baked EPs, like basketball which is buggy
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member

I'm sure we are getting pets too, I did like vampires but I think it's sad that we have to look forward to GPs cause EPs are a constant disappointment. I think it's almost a good thing that if the new GP is like generations... who knows what stuff would be missing in an EP

Yeah I agree I mean I brought GTW for the doctor Career I thought it would be cool but the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing hardly ever works and the retail and café is a mess so I'm sat feeling like I've wasted $40, and although CL was better (Only because i can create cool lots with the lot traits.) the apartments hardly ever work and are so painfully buggy I just end up creating an awesome country house in Newcrest; so I do understand your point of disappointing EP's ad buggy fixes.
  • Options

Yeah I agree I mean I brought GTW for the doctor Career I thought it would be cool but the plum thing hardly ever works and the retail and café is a mess so I'm sat feeling like I've wasted $40, and although CL was better (Only because i can create cool lots with the lot traits.) the apartments hardly ever work and are so painfully buggy I just end up creating an awesome country house in Newcrest; so I do understand your point of disappointing EP's ad buggy fixes.

I don't understand the point of having actual hospitals for the first time ever if sims can't even go when they are sick. CL was a great concept which they limited and created lag for many and not even like it's worth the lag since we can't even build the apartments
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited April 2017

Do you prefer rushed and mediocre content, or very slow to release but great content (like toddlers) ?
    Between speed of release and quality, you've got to choose. You can't have both.

Slow production =/= Guarenteed quality. It's possible for there to be a correlation, but it is not a guarentee. I'd remind you that Late Night and Ambitions were both made in half the time of GTW and City Living, and I got news for you: the quicker made EPs got better acclaim.

If we were getting absolutely amazing EPs once per year, you might not hear complaints if they were worth the weight.

Our last EP was a really pretty backdrop. The one before it was a concept that would synergize wonderfully with a fully fleshed out game...but we don't have a fully fleshed out game. (yet?) The one before that decided to mimic the general structure of one of Sims 3's least popular expansions (Showtime), and seemingly phoned in some of it's more unpolished features.

We are getting neither speedy development nor quality content from the EPs. That's the problem.

But my argument was going in the other direction. True, if something is slow to release, that won't necessarily mean high quality. But if you want to release something fast, it's almost guaranteed to be both mediocre and bugged. This is the point of my argument.
    So imagine if developers listened to people demanding to work faster. That means rushed content (= horrible content) and the most unstable game ever. There are already budget issues with the Sims 4, obviously, so let's not worsen them with saying "work faster ! faster ! even faster !!" please. No human being can produce quality content in those very stressful conditions.
  • Options

But my argument was going in the other direction. True, if something is slow to release, that won't necessarily mean high quality. But if you want to release something fast, it's almost guaranteed to be both mediocre and bugged. This is the point of my argument.
    So imagine if developers listened to people demanding to work faster. That means rushed content (= horrible content) and the most unstable game ever. There are already budget issues with the Sims 4, obviously, so let's not worsen them with saying "work faster ! faster ! even faster !!" please. Nobody can work right in those very stressful conditions.

so to sum up this game releases new stuff slowly and it still lacks quality but if we rushed it, it would be worse than right now. Well that sounds promising
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited April 2017

So imagine if developers listened to people demanding to work faster. That means rushed content (= horrible content) and the most unstable game ever. There are already budget issues with the Sims 4, obviously, so let's not worsen them with saying "work faster ! faster ! even faster !!" please. Nobody can work right in those very stressful conditions.

so to sum up this game releases new stuff slowly and it still lacks quality but if we rushed it, it would be worse than right now. Well that sounds promising

What do you think of toddlers and vampires ?
    We need to look at what's currently produced. The base game is the past already. As disappointing as it is, what's done is done.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

No, no it's not.

OP never explicitly stated any timeframe. It would make sense to assume OP meant the standard release rate that the last two games both shared: one EP every ~6 months.

Two entire editions in the Sims franchise produced wonderful quality by using the 6 month timeframe. Suddenly, Sims 4 has surrendered that plan with little to no explanation as to why, and what's worse, the slow releases also tend to be rather bad releases rather than good ones.

You have no source for budget issues with Sims 4, but I agree it's at the very least a fairly rational conclusion. Yknow how you fix the problem? Increase the budget. No one has said we absolutely demand the team release packs at a breakneck speed; the rational conclusion is we want the old rate of packs back. If that old rate is currently impossible because EA needlessly slashed the budget of their most successful franchise in half...? Maybe they should raise the budget or hire a second EP team like they did for Sims 3.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options

What do you think of toddlers and vampires ?

I think we had to wait 3 years for content we should have had since day one, but they wasted the recourses on a failed game. Vampires are great. Also I'm guessing you are asking me this because these are the only GREAT things they have released?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member

Yeah I agree I mean I brought GTW for the doctor Career I thought it would be cool but the plum thing hardly ever works and the retail and café is a mess so I'm sat feeling like I've wasted $40, and although CL was better (Only because i can create cool lots with the lot traits.) the apartments hardly ever work and are so painfully buggy I just end up creating an awesome country house in Newcrest; so I do understand your point of disappointing EP's ad buggy fixes.

I don't understand the point of having actual hospitals for the first time ever if sims can't even go when they are sick. CL was a great concept which they limited and created lag for many and not even like it's worth the lag since we can't even build the apartments

Yeah I don't understand that either I think, the hospital, police station and science lab should have been accessible in magnolia promenade instead of just making them invisible and only accessible when you do said career.
  • Options

No, no it's not.

OP never explicitly stated any timeframe. It would make sense to assume OP meant the standard release rate that the last two games both shared: one EP every ~6 months.

Two entire editions in the Sims franchise produced wonderful quality by using the 6 month timeframe. Suddenly, Sims 4 has surrendered that plan with little to no explanation as to why, and what's worse, the slow releases also tend to be rather bad releases rather than good ones.

You have no source for budget issues with Sims 4, but I agree it's at the very least a fairly rational conclusion. Yknow how you fix the problem? Increase the budget. No one has said we absolutely demand the team release packs at a breakneck speed; the rational conclusion is we want the old rate of packs back. If that old rate is currently impossible because EA needlessly slashed the budget of their most successful franchise in half...? Maybe they should raise the budget or hire a second EP team like they did for Sims 3.

The game was doomed when they wasted most of the resources on the online game... I've never in my life seen these forums like this in the 17 years I've played this game
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Yeah I don't understand that either I think, the hospital, police station and science lab should have been accessible in magnolia promenade instead of just making them invisible and only accessible when you do said career.

I agree... I still laugh when I think of the fact that they charged us for a "world" with 4 lots and secret places in a parallel universe ...
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

No, no it's not.

They didn't neccesarily cut it in half.
    The reason you don't want people looking in the direction of GP's is because of your precious Supernaturals...
    But a fourth grader could see where that production went.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    Gees no one can say anything bad about the game without being insulted. Family Game Pack sounds like a easy $20 way to break up Generations in a sense which isn't good but if it comes as game packs then it won't be so lacking since Sims 4 expansion packs are nothing compared to past ones. Only positive thing is if its a GP and not a EP then it won't be as bad and more worthy of its price tag. As for Fitness....eh...nothing really great about getting stinky and being around Sims with abnormal bodies that just like doing random push ups everywhere they go. If they introduce new exercise equipment then that might be neat but still what gameplay is there to it? More treadmills?

STUFFpacks are about STUFF they are not about gamplay objects :p lol

STUFFpacks are about STUFF that comes with at least one gamplay object and sometimes two.
    Last one had only the bowling lane. But it even still lacked stuff for $10 compared to other Stuff Packs just like Vintage Glamour. Hardly any new furniture or even CAS stuff. Normally there's a good amount of CAS content though for female Sims teen and up. lol
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    Gees no one can say anything bad about the game without being insulted. Family Game Pack sounds like a easy $20 way to break up Generations in a sense which isn't good but if it comes as game packs then it won't be so lacking since Sims 4 expansion packs are nothing compared to past ones. Only positive thing is if its a GP and not a EP then it won't be as bad and more worthy of its price tag. As for Fitness....eh...nothing really great about getting stinky and being around Sims with abnormal bodies that just like doing random push ups everywhere they go. If they introduce new exercise equipment then that might be neat but still what gameplay is there to it? More treadmills?

STUFFpacks are about STUFF they are not about gamplay objects :p lol

STUFFpacks are about STUFF that comes with at least one gamplay object and sometimes two.
    Last one had only the bowling lane. But it even still lacked stuff for $10 compared to other Stuff Packs just like Vintage Glamour. Hardly any new furniture or even CAS stuff. Normally there's a good amount of CAS content though for female Sims teen and up. lol

Thats another thing... if they didn't add gameplay objects we wouldn't have mucha in each SP and without CASt it's even more obvious
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    boykinater18boykinater18 Posts: 237 Member
    I agree as well, Orchid13. However, I did really like Dine Out. Out of the game packs that were released, I use Vampires and Dine Out the most. I'm really hoping we get another destination world soon. I've gotten so tired of Granite Falls.

Things I hope we get in 2017

-Pets or On Campus/University
    -Destination World
    -Witches or Weather/Seasons
    -Laundry

I know laundry sounds silly but it would be awesome to have a new task to keep up with. Now for the Weather, I'm hoping they do that in a Game Pack instead of an Expansion. I'd love to have more of the focus on the actual weather and include storms and stuff. I saw a forum poster mentioning disasters, like power outages, etc. That'd be amazing! I could keep going, but at the end of the day, I just hope we get a good expansion pack this year!
  • Options
    I agree as well, Orchid13. However, I did really like Dine Out. Out of the game packs that were released, I use Vampires and Dine Out the most. I'm really hoping we get another destination world soon. I've gotten so tired of Granite Falls.

Things I hope we get in 2017

-Pets or On Campus/University
    -Destination World
    -Witches or Weather/Seasons
    -Laundry

I know laundry sounds silly but it would be awesome to have a new task to keep up with. Now for the Weather, I'm hoping they do that in a Game Pack instead of an Expansion. I'd love to have more of the focus on the actual weather and include storms and stuff. I saw a forum poster mentioning disasters, like power outages, etc. That'd be amazing! I could keep going, but at the end of the day, I just hope we get a good expansion pack this year!

I don't think dine out was bad , but I never really mention it cause it wasn't my cup of tea, I was glad for people who wanted it. The problem was that we had to wait an entire year for that GP. I also hope for what you said, but I wouldn't count on laundry since it's one of the features they thought about for one of the possible future 2018 SPs
    21mbz47.jpg