Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 > Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    karasuhimechankarasuhimechan Posts: 41 Member
    After I got the money to start playing games again, I immediately gravitated towards the sims 3 even though I stalked the sims 4 forums for a loong time. :p the reason was that sims 4 is so closed to me. Theres not much to do, and ultimate I hate the drawing style. The sims are a bit too robotic and emotions are strange there. Admitedly I still play sims 2 ultimate edition very often, but ultimately I prefer sims 3 grafics.
  • Options
    HARIBOWSHARIBOWS Posts: 115 Member
    I find myself going back to Sims 3 every single time I give Sims 4 another try. I have tried in TS4 to create different stories, build unique houses and generally bring some fun into the game, as I've paid good money for it. Each time I get intensely bored or frustrated with the lag, go back to TS3, am amazed with the open world and customisation and wonder why I left in the first place.

As a builder, I highly enjoy some aspects of TS4 build mode. However, I enjoy fully building whole towns, and even though Newcrest is there, it's highly buggy, not my sort of town and because I only have one expansion (GTW) and no way to fully customise, the only real choices for houses are Victorian or Modern. I sometimes found myself building a house just to realise that it is ending up looking exactly the same as the last 4 houses I've built. I never have this problem with TS3, and I only activate one Expansion pack at a time because my laptop is a potato.

I'm currently building up @Rflong7 's Mayfair Island (Absolutely gorgeous btw, the attention to detail...EA should take some advice from you), and my God do I love TS3 for allowing me to do that. I spent ages even considering the themes of the town, what lots should go where and what stories of the families I wanted. I have started building and customising all the little areas, giving them all their own charm. How in God's name can builders like me do something like that in TS4?
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    It is because TS2 and TS3 had so much more to offer and then TS4 comes out and they take out so many features that we love and they made it some cheesy game. I own TS4 and I can hardly play it because it is pretty bad. I hate the new interface and I hate the minimalist theme, design about it. Please make TS5 like 2 and 3.
  • Options
    juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    It is because TS2 and TS3 had so much more to offer and then TS4 comes out and they take out so many features that we love and they made it some cheesy game. I own TS4 and I can hardly play it because it is pretty bad. I hate the new interface and I hate the minimalist theme, design about it. Please make TS5 like 2 and 3.

well, as it has plenty of times said, let TS5 = TS2 + TS3, that´s good maths I think!
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • Options
    BuildingStructuresBuildingStructures Posts: 40 Member
    Nobody wants to see the plumbob sign while just crossing the street. I hate it.
    IfvKgi.jpg[/URL]
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Confession time - I've been recently playing Sims 3 again, and enjoying it -- probably enjoying more than when I'd originally gotten it several years ago.

Honestly? I enjoy both Sims 3 and Sims 4 - for different reasons. They are both Sims games but qualitatively different in feel and gameplay, so comparison is not easy. Sometimes I've played both games in the same day.

Right now I'm more "attached" to my Sims in TS4. I love playing rotationally and I have a few saves going where I am rotating around different families, playing from different angles. TS4 is easier for me to get into-- it's easier to start, play, build, and create due to shorter load times, smoother animations, ease of building, and the Gallery. I also love the look and feel of TS4; it may not be as realistic, but it's pretty, and I like pretty.

However, TS3 has a lot more content (being the complete game) as well as more depth of gameplay. And gameplay is very important to me. I'm an analytical person and I like to sink my teeth into things. There is a lot going on in TS3. And that makes it fun. For example I have a writer sim and I can see a list of the books she's written, as well as how much in royalties she's making. Stuff like that, which is missing in TS4.

There are a lot of things I miss from TS3 when I'm playing TS4, and vice versa.

So the best of both worlds is to play both worlds. Why not?
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @Pegasys Great post!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    johnjetjohnjet Posts: 101 Member
    One of the biggest issues for Sims 4 is that unlike Sims 3 there is no story progression. Unless the base game sims are married or have children, then you pretty much are stuck with either single sims or childless couples. Then this leads to a world where everyone eventually dies out and the only alive sims are your family members, unless you import more sims manually.

The fact that many of us have to resort to a mod, to get the story progression is a big oversight on the part of the game makers.

While I do like playing Sims 4 with the upgraded graphics etc, personally for me Sims 3 wins just on the bases that the game feels more alive.
  • Options
    johnjet wrote: »
    One of the biggest issues for Sims 4 is that unlike Sims 3 there is no story progression. Unless the base game sims are married or have children, then you pretty much are stuck with either single sims or childless couples. Then this leads to a world where everyone eventually dies out and the only alive sims are your family members, unless you import more sims manually.

The fact that many of us have to resort to a mod, to get the story progression is a big oversight on the part of the game makers.

While I do like playing Sims 4 with the upgraded graphics etc, personally for me Sims 3 wins just on the bases that the game feels more alive.
    There is no story progression in my Sims 3 game, there hasn't been for about five years now. No babies are born, nobody marries, nobody gets promoted in their jobs. When I play several generations in one save, my town dies out as well. Babies used to be born in the beginning (not enough to populate a new generation though), but I suspect they changed that in a patch because people didn't like it, spontaneous births beyond their control. I regret that. I'd really really really want an advanced SP system in this franchise. Sims 3 had it sort of, in Sims 4 it indeed is completely gone.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited April 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

There is no story progression in my Sims 3 game, there hasn't been for about five years now. No babies are born, nobody marries, nobody gets promoted in their jobs. When I play several generations in one save, my town dies out as well. Babies used to be born in the beginning (not enough to populate a new generation though), but I suspect they changed that in a patch because people didn't like it, spontaneous births beyond their control. I regret that. I'd really really really want an advanced SP system in this franchise. Sims 3 had it sort of, in Sims 4 it indeed is completely gone.

So in the newspaper in Ts3 when it says "The x family welcomed baby boy" into their home last night, blah blah blah" is that not an actual baby being born? I'm confused.

I can't say I've noticed it in the sims 3 as my generations find plenty of friends and the town never feels empty of too familiar. In the sims 4 by generation 3 I can have a ghost town. Then I got mc command which solved it, can't play without it as the game is boring otherwise.
  • Options
    Teslachick2Teslachick2 Posts: 442 Member
    Like others have said, there are certain aspects to both games that appeal to me. I love the emotions, multitasking, gardening, party life and above all, the different walk styles that TS4 has to offer. Though a lot of people complain about children in TS4, I much prefer them to TS3 kids because it seems like they're always on the move, always hyper and just generally adorable. That said, when it comes to YA, adults, I love TS3 sims simply because there is so much for them to do, places to go, things to explore and in romantic interactions, TS3 knocks TS4 out of the way.
    I'm lucky to not have much of an issue with empty lots in TS3, my venues are usually hopping within a few minutes of arriving so it's fun watching my sims interact with others even though sometimes I have to force them to do so. But I still end up missing my far more social sims in TS4 who within seconds of arriving at a venue, are off chatting merrily and doing tasks on their own.
    In a nutshell, I love both games and can easily waste days getting immersed in either of them. I understand TS4 is lacking in some aspects, but I can see the devs are starting to put out content that could really make the game more fun.
    I regret some of my life choices.
  • Options

So in the newspaper in Ts3 when it says "The x family welcomed baby boy" into their home last night, blah blah blah" is that not an actual baby being born? I'm confused.

I can't say I've noticed it in the sims 3 as my generations find plenty of friends and the town never feels empty of too familiar. In the sims 4 by generation 3 I can have a ghost town. Then I got mc command which solved it, can't play without it as the game is boring otherwise.
    It never says that in my newspapers, unless I have played some part in setting up that baby myself ;) (my sims hardly ever read the newspapers by the way, but I'd say that if the newspaper says that it's true)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member

So far I know, it only happens when there's an actual baby born. Which happens with Nraas SP (so a lot in my game, can recommend it but be careful your system can handle it, my game is remarkably slower since I have SP) or with scripted pregnancies at the beginning of a new game, due to premades already made pregnant by EA, like it is the case with the Keatons.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @JoAnne65 @GITTE2001
    I have noticed it a few times. Not regularly but occasionally. My sims don't read the newspaper that much. Noticed it a lot in my first generation before my sim could afford entertainment and if they were too tired to go out lol

Mods I have are Overwatch and Errortrap.
  • Options
    I do understand that some people prefer the graphics style of TS4, but after fully stalking the TS3 section's "I still love scenery" thread yesterday and being totally blown away, I just can't enjoy TS4 graphics without trying to understand I'm in the cartoon network channel. Some of the screenshots in that thread look like photos, and they've only used one lighting mod and high settings graphics. For a game that came out nearly 8 years ago now, it's beyond amazing.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/802147/i-still-love-scenery#latest

Like take a look through that thread and tell me that TS4 graphics are objectively better.
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 @GITTE2001
    I have noticed it a few times. Not regularly but occasionally. My sims don't read the newspaper that much. Noticed it a lot in my first generation before my sim could afford entertainment and if they were too tired to go out lol

Mods I have are Overwatch and Errortrap.
    The last time a baby was born outside my control, was in my 11th generation, halfway 2011. I must add that heir 12 moved to Hidden Springs, a Store world, and I've always wondered if that might have had something to do with it. I've never played in EP worlds after that, untill I played a homeless sim in Bridgeport. No spontaneous babies there either, but the reason for that may have been that he himself made sure babies were born. Maybe the game has some sort of a quota?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    HARIBOWS wrote: »
    I do understand that some people prefer the graphics style of TS4, but after fully stalking the TS3 section's "I still love scenery" thread yesterday and being totally blown away, I just can't enjoy TS4 graphics without trying to understand I'm in the cartoon network channel. Some of the screenshots in that thread look like photos, and they've only used one lighting mod and high settings graphics. For a game that came out nearly 8 years ago now, it's beyond amazing.

Like take a look through that thread and tell me that TS4 graphics are objectively better.

I totally agree with everything you just said... :)

I love looking in that thread at all of the beautiful screenshots of the players gameplay... :smiley:

• Options
    TiffanyepiphanyTiffanyepiphany Posts: 2 New Member
    I love both games. At times I go back and forth on which one I prefer, but when it comes down to it I would pick 4. I try not to use CC or Mods, and even with the create a style, I am not a fan of the cas items in 3. If I add mods to 3, it becomes laggy. I do not need cc in 4. I also really enjoy the cartoony graphics, and the animations. Although, I do think that 3 has better graphics when it comes to the environment, 4 is just a better game overall.
  • Options
    dorcsyfuldorcsyful Posts: 851 Member

You can take nice "scenery" pics in TS4 too. The problem with that is that you're basically taking a pictures of the same backgrounds over and over again. With CAW and the countless worlds made by TS3 players, we will never have that kind of problem. ;)
  • Options
    Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member

I fully agree with that there's no story progression in TS3 at all. I enjoyed the story progression in TS3 as long as it lasted, but I don't think it was changed in a patch, it just became weaker the more expansion packs came out. One day, when I wanted to test something and disabled every ep that came out after Ambitions, as soon as I started the game, there moved new families almost every day. But as soon as I enabled more expansion packs, the less story progression was noticeable. If you want to have story progression in your game, you could use the NRaas mod for it.

However, I don't mind the lack of story progression in TS4 at all. I am a player who plays with aging off, and since the release of the game, my sims only aged once, so it isn't that noticeable in my game (yet). And if story progression should become too important for me that I miss it, I just use the MCCC, not a big problem.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »

I fully agree with that there's no story progression in TS3 at all. I enjoyed the story progression in TS3 as long as it lasted, but I don't think it was changed in a patch, it just became weaker the more expansion packs came out. One day, when I wanted to test something and disabled every ep that came out after Ambitions, as soon as I started the game, there moved new families almost every day. But as soon as I enabled more expansion packs, the less story progression was noticeable. If you want to have story progression in your game, you could use the NRaas mod for it.

However, I don't mind the lack of story progression in TS4 at all. I am a player who plays with aging off, and since the release of the game, my sims only aged once, so it isn't that noticeable in my game (yet). And if story progression should become too important for me that I miss it, I just use the MCCC, not a big problem.
    I'd love all the great things I hear about NRaas SP, but I doubt I mind enough to take the risk of the game becoming very slow or borky. At the end of the day we all choose what is important to us in thise game, and how far we'll go to get it. I've always played the game vanilla, I fell in love with the game vanilla and I also like, in a very odd way, to find work arounds. I watched a kid today on YouTube who created a waterslide for Sims 2. And people underneath that video were sort of moaning "I don't see you using it". But he clearly was very happy with what he had created and I think he had more fun than a whole lot of players who put a ready to go waterslide in the garden and tell their sims to use it by clicking.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    I find myself going back to Sims 3 every single time I give Sims 4 another try. I have tried in TS4 to create different stories, build unique houses and generally bring some fun into the game, as I've paid good money for it. Each time I get intensely bored or frustrated with the lag, go back to TS3, am amazed with the open world and customisation and wonder why I left in the first place.

As a builder, I highly enjoy some aspects of TS4 build mode. However, I enjoy fully building whole towns, and even though Newcrest is there, it's highly buggy, not my sort of town and because I only have one expansion (GTW) and no way to fully customise, the only real choices for houses are Victorian or Modern. I sometimes found myself building a house just to realise that it is ending up looking exactly the same as the last 4 houses I've built. I never have this problem with TS3, and I only activate one Expansion pack at a time because my laptop is a potato.

I'm currently building up @Rflong7 's Mayfair Island (Absolutely gorgeous btw, the attention to detail...EA should take some advice from you), and my God do I love TS3 for allowing me to do that. I spent ages even considering the themes of the town, what lots should go where and what stories of the families I wanted. I have started building and customising all the little areas, giving them all their own charm. How in God's name can builders like me do something like that in TS4?

Building in TS4 is sooo easy I'm actually getting really lazy cause when I make my houses I'm like ok let's just pop in that pre-made room instead of dragging out the walls myself. I mean you can do that if you really want to but I'm like why bother? Only thing I don't like about building is that I have to manually add in the hallways when making my houses and after popping together everything else it's made me a little impatient and lazy to manually put in the hallways. I figured out how to add a basement but how do you get steps up to it? I tried and tried to get a front step up to my door I placed but I couldn't get them to orient to the door they kept wanting to backwards into a pile of steps and I only needed one little one.

:o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • Options
    dorcsyful wrote: »

You can take nice "scenery" pics in TS4 too. The problem with that is that you're basically taking a pictures of the same backgrounds over and over again. With CAW and the countless worlds made by TS3 players, we will never have that kind of problem. ;)

I hate the backgrounds in TS4 because 70% of it is fake decoration that you can't get to. That beautiful house on the hill in TS3? Oh you can go there! And the people that live there are townies with stories, not randomly generated people who just fill up houses because you've moved in. Oh the beach at the bottom of Sunset Valley? You can go there too! Want to swim in that water at the beach? Go for it!

Cartoon graphics are one thing, awful block textures and 90% of what is around you being fake is another. :/
  • Options
    Jenzup wrote: »

Building in TS4 is sooo easy I'm actually getting really lazy cause when I make my houses I'm like ok let's just pop in that pre-made room instead of dragging out the walls myself. I mean you can do that if you really want to but I'm like why bother? Only thing I don't like about building is that I have to manually add in the hallways when making my houses and after popping together everything else it's made me a little impatient and lazy to manually put in the hallways. I figured out how to add a basement but how do you get steps up to it? I tried and tried to get a front step up to my door I placed but I couldn't get them to orient to the door they kept wanting to backwards into a pile of steps and I only needed one little one.

I just find that because I only have one expansion, everything either has to look the same or nothing matches. :/ Don't get me wrong, I really really like some aspects of TS4 build mode, and you are very right in that some aspects are A LOT easier, like I love being able to move the whole lot and take the roof off of basements, but the lack of customisation makes it really boring once you've built a few houses. There are a lot of bugs in build mode though too, one of which has been there since the start of the game and they still haven't fixed it. :neutral:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top