Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    If the pattern of slow rate (1 EP per year) and lack of substantial EPs, and limitations keeps up, and this iteration ends in two more years...then, yes, by then I would consider it a failure compared to past sims games. :cry:

I would rather have it end in 2 years (or earlier) than drag on and on and on with 1 EP and 1 SP per year like it is now. Put it out of it's misery (and mine).

I really wonder if it will be ending in two years, though? Maybe once EA really feels the money pinch?

I feel that, as long as EA is making a profit, it will keep releasing and milking a game.

Hmm... How long did SimCity (the recent failed one that ended suddenly) last?

Around 1 year if you want to be generous. The game ultimately got one EP (Cities of Tomorrow) in November of 2013 which flopped. I assume the only work done between November 2013 and March 2014 was for the offline mode they had to add in order to stop production on the title.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I am not going to Rant much but 1 SP a year? I could of sworn we had a lot more then that per year, but anyways I am not sure if the Sims 4 is a total failure, But after not getting any Gothic type stuff from day 1 is a bit frustrating, as well as not having Pets and Seasons yet, I will say though that I do like some of the items from some of the packs, other then that the game makes Me not want to play it due to relationship culling & the fact that while I am on 1 family , the rest I made are getting all messed up cause they do not stay in saved mode, tired of finding My Pregnant Sims having their kids when I am not there, and Babies getting names I do not want at all, that is why I keep playing My Sims 2 & 3, at least in those games My families stay where they are and do not get messed up.
  • Options
    I am not going to Rant much but 1 SP a year? I could of sworn we had a lot more then that per year, but anyways I am not sure if the Sims 4 is a total failure, But after not getting any Gothic type stuff from day 1 is a bit frustrating, as well as not having Pets and Seasons yet, I will say though that I do like some of the items from some of the packs, other then that the game makes Me not want to play it due to relationship culling & the fact that while I am on 1 family , the rest I made are getting all messed up cause they do not stay in saved mode, tired of finding My Pregnant Sims having their kids when I am not there, and Babies getting names I do not want at all, that is why I keep playing My Sims 2 & 3, at least in those games My families stay where they are and do not get messed up.

There's been plenty of stuff packs, there was only one EP this year. So far only one GP has released as well but there is a rumored second one next quarter. Ultimately The Sims 4 has a really slow release cycle when it comes to larger packs, and the content they ship with doesn't really expand the game all that much.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2016
    If the pattern of slow rate (1 EP per year) and lack of substantial EPs, and limitations keeps up, and this iteration ends in two more years...then, yes, by then I would consider it a failure compared to past sims games. :cry:

I would rather have it end in 2 years (or earlier) than drag on and on and on with 1 EP and 1 SP per year like it is now. Put it out of it's misery (and mine).

I really wonder if it will be ending in two years, though? Maybe once EA really feels the money pinch?

I feel that, as long as EA is making a profit, it will keep releasing and milking a game.

Around 1 year if you want to be generous. The game ultimately got one EP (Cities of Tomorrow) in November of 2013 which flopped. I assume the only work done between November 2013 and March 2014 was for the offline mode they had to add in order to stop production on the title.

Wow, only 1 year!? :hushed:

Yeah, if Sims 4 is not successful, I fear it will probably either get shut down, or the company will make DLC even more of a cash-cow and divide the DLC down even more (and provide less substantial content in bigger packs like the EP).

Now I am worried about how Sims 5 is going to be like--or if there is going to be a Sims 5 (or if it is even going to be for the PC or it it's just going to be on tablet/mobile phone or something)...

I am skeptical Sims 5 will be better. I don't feel like feedback is being taken well, or that the company is listening and catering to a different or new target audience.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options

Wow, only 1 year!? :hushed:

Yeah, if Sims 4 is not successful, I fear it will probably either get shut down, or the company will make DLC even more of a cash-cow and divide the DLC down even more (and provide less substantial content in bigger packs like the EP).

Now I am worried about how Sims 5 is going to be like--or if there is going to be a Sims 5 (or if it is even going to be for the PC or it it's just going to be on tablet/mobile phone or something)...

I am skeptical Sims 5 will be better. I don't feel like feedback is being taken well, or that the company is listening and catering to a different or new target audience.

What killed SimCity was the limitations imposed on the game. Small cities, no customization, always online. All things that The Sims 4 has in common, with the exception of online which was only dropped after the collossal failure of SimCity.

I believe TS4 has already seen its peak. As in, it's not going to suddenly explode and become a hugely successful title. Within two years we've already seen a drop off in expansion packs, and the one they released this year is mediocre at best. I don't hold much hope for Sims 4 - they sold us the game shouting that it had so much potential, and within two years have done nothing to show us this potential, and if they have then the game didn't have nearly the potential we were led to believe.

I don't even want to think about TS5. Maxis is not an industry leader in any sense, they now officially make one PC game and can't even offer that audience what they ask for. They as a company have a vision, and a big part of that is forcing unwarranted changes and restrictions on their customers and ignoring criticism against them. It's what killed SimCity - The Sims 4's only saving grace is that it has a wide range of appeals. It's not quite as black and white as SimCity, the player has different options or ways to play (CAS, fashion, building, story telling, goals, etc). As we saw with CL they have no issue implementing major restrictions; they dismissed the complaints against apartments almost immediately turning it into a non-issue on their end. That attitude from the development studio is what will end The Sims 4.
  • Options
    Absolutely not. The Sims 4 is the most successful game in the series and one of the best games ever made. It was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is an international sensation.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Absolutely not. The Sims 4 is the most successful game in the series and one of the best games ever made. It was the best selling PC game of 2015 and is an international sensation.

@Loudon_Wainwright - I'd be curious to see the figures to back up your claim of it being one of the best games ever made.

Did you play previous iterations?
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »

Glad to see you are in your safe room. Sounds like your delusions and hallucinations are getting much worse and emergency treatment is needed. :wink:

*cackles* :naughty:

Are we sure this guy is just not Colton147147 with a different name? One would think people like this would have better things to do with their time.

--T
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member

There's been plenty of stuff packs, there was only one EP this year. So far only one GP has released as well but there is a rumored second one next quarter. Ultimately The Sims 4 has a really slow release cycle when it comes to larger packs, and the content they ship with doesn't really expand the game all that much.

Ya I know, I am tired of having to demolish homes and such just to put in others, it is a pain for Me, I want Room for My Homes and Businesses not less, :)
  • Options
    MinecraftdSimmerMinecraftdSimmer Posts: 561 Member

Yeah because they started trying to appeal to casual gamers, like you.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

There was somethng odd about that best selling list, Sims 3 came second I think? Which is quite remarkable for a 2009 game :| And apart from that, it also sold a lot of copies because it's a Sims game. Doesn't mean people are satisfied with it.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

There was somethng odd about that best selling list, Sims 3 came second I think? Which is quite remarkable for a 2009 game :| And apart from that, it also sold a lot of copies because it's a Sims game. Doesn't mean people are satisfied with it.
    Best selling lists can only be made for games which are sold on discs in the stores or maybe through Amazon or Steam. They can't be made too for the games which (also) are sold through Origin because only EA knows those sales numbers and EA won't release them. But if Origin isn't included in the statistics then they aren't worth anything ;)

Guessing Origin's sales numbers by studying sales numbers on Amazon has sometimes been attempted. But this way isn't convincing either ;)
  • Options
    Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member

I get you. keep on doing what you're doing. it's hilarious B)
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Yes and no. I like it for the most part, it entertains me. I don't love it as much as I remember loving TS2 at the time, I don't think it's the worst game ever made, and I can really have fun with it sometimes. So, for me, it isn't a failure. But I do think that it's sad how much this game has divided the sims communities, and I do believe that previous sims game provided more depth than this one does. So I guess that it isn't a failure in the sense that I can have fun with it, but it's a little bit of a failure for the franchise as a whole because I do, regardless of my personal enjoyment, hold the belief that game series are supposed to increase in quality with each new release (i.e. become larger, better, offer more or at the very least the exact same amount features than / as before, fix what doesn't work instead of abandoning concepts people did like and would've liked even better if they had been implemented more thoughtfully, etc.). Personally, again, I don't think TS4 has managed to do that, and if it had been a stand-alone game, without reference to its predecessors, I think there'd be a lot less divisiveness about it. But since it isn't, and does belong to a long history of sims games ... yes, I think they could've done a lot of things better. That's just true, even if you love it, I think it's hard to really argue against that. So is it a failure, objectively speaking? That, I think, depends on whether you can view it on its own, isolated from the rest of the series, or not. And I for one can most of the time, but I do understand why a lot of people can't.
  • Options
    KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    edited December 2016
    Absolutely. Nothing ground-breaking has been done with The Sims 4 compared to previous installments in the Sims franchise. Features are watered down, the emotions system is annoying to manage, constant party invites are irritating, lack of family play is beyond disappointing, and the career system is dry as the Sahara. Overall, the worst Sims game. I find myself having more fun with the first game. I thought with sequels we were supposed to progress, not regress. :neutral:

It's like EA's marketing to depressed teenagers and whiny, weak adults who are to scared to go out and party.
  • Options
    papersuitcasepapersuitcase Posts: 838 Member
    Yes it's a failure. As a family player I am at a loss. There is next to nothing for me to do in game.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Kurotard wrote: »
    Absolutely. Nothing ground-breaking has been done with The Sims 4 compared to previous installments in the Sims franchise. Features are watered down, the emotions system is annoying to manage, constant party invites are irritating, lack of family play is beyond disappointing, and the career system is dry as the Sahara. Overall, the worst Sims game. I find myself having more fun with the first game. I thought with sequels we were supposed to progress, not regress. :neutral:

It's like EA's marketing to depressed teenagers and whiny, weak adults who are to scared to go out and party.

Interesting reply.

The thing is though, you are right, there has been nothing ground breaking that takes the series forwards.

TS1 was new anyway and focused 'play with life' while TS2 kept the same popular concept but I troduced aging while TS3 kept all that made made it all about the Open World and how Sims fit into the landscape.

TS4 has missed a few, if not a lot of these points. Prior to launch most of the hype was centered on emotions. Now it is just centred on a talking toilet. Not exactly what I would class as ground breaking

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member

it's a failure. complete lack of variety and too many limitations for Builders... and the game play is a snooze fest. the fact that they eliminated an entire life stage for a life simulation game is just plain idiotic. And why do teens look like young adults??? And why does there need to be a loading screen to have a sim walk across the street to the park. FAIL!!

The Building or lack of tools and variety is what killed it for me. The 4th installment of this game and we don't have a terrain tool or a color wheel??? really???? I wish I had known EA would kill this franchise... Just the way they Killed SimCity. I will not dish out another cent for any more of their frivolous GP, SP, or EPs. What a waste of money and hard drive space.
  • Options
    MarcustzbMarcustzb Posts: 140 Member
    edited December 2016
    It's Simcity's Fault... Now TS follows after Simcity 2013
    Find me via Origin, Search by my name from my profile :)
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Marcustzb wrote: »
    It's Simcity's Fault... Now TS follows after Simcity 2013

Actually it's the 'we want it online/coop multiplayer' crowds fault.

You can't take what is essentially a singleplayer experience and simply make it online, it doesn't work with all genres and SimCity and The Sims happen to be among them.

raw
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Kurotard wrote: »

The teenagers are curious but not depressed and most adult simmers have kids and a family such that they can't just go out and party as singles anymore. So both groups use the game to outlive dreams that they aren't ready to live out in their real life. This is also what gaming should be about: to expand the real world by getting more options by adding a fantasyland to it ;)

All this is fine for me. I just don't like the superficial way TS4 does it and all the simplifications and restrictions in this game. TS4 is for me way too much about stuff and looks and much too little about interesting and challenging gameplay.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Honestly, I don't care who's fault it is, I am more concerned that nothing has been done about it. They won't even address the fans, the very people who PAY for this game, about toddlers. Or anything for that matter (and I really don't give two flying you know what's to their reasons either).

Imagine somebody you deeply care about stringing you along. Not nice is it? This is basically what EA are doing to each and every one of us.

You can like or dislike the game but how anybody is ok with that is shocking. EA are a business who answers to its customers. No answers mean no money. It baffles me to no end that EA are silent. It's like they don't want people to play this game. That worries me more than anything.

I very much doubt there will be a Sims5. I think this game will die and somebody else will step up to the plate in a few years.

--T
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    To7m wrote: »
    I very much doubt there will be a Sims5. I think this game will die and somebody else will step up to the plate in a few years.

--T

Look on the bright side, they could hardly do a worse job.
    raw
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top