Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 4 a reboot of The Sims ?

Comments

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It is neither a reboot nor is it a new episode.

I actually hate the term 'reboot' and it seems to get used a lot these days. I am actually talking to someone on Facebook right now about the forth coming film, the Mummy with Tom Cruise in it. It is a reboot apparently and I will be watching it with caution. The older (1999) film was awesome back in the day just as the original Sims was.

We do not need reboots for he Sims, instead we need steps forwards and the last time we had a step forward back when TS3 came out back in 2009.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2016
    TxrdlyPxxp wrote: »
    All of this "The Sims 1 was better" feels like a ton of nostalgia-contaminated thoughts. The Sims 1 was incredible, new, refreshing, and it was the COOLEST way to play house when I was a kid. THE COOLEST. But if I was the same age I was then, I would absolutely fall in love the same exact way with the Sims 4. And then, 16 years later I would probably nit pick everything that didn't give me that exact same feeling. Are we all just chasing that high we felt when we first played?

Also, the game-play improvements are definitely undeniable. Being able to eat food while watching TV is pretty much the reason I'll probably not ever go backwards.
    As tempting and plausible as that may sound: no. I quit playing Sims 1 after five hours. Yet there was something about it that immediately grabbed me by the throat. I just disliked this one thing (need bars decreasing like mad). I played Sims 1 for five hours, still I agree with everyone who says that game had an addictive side to it. It was so funny and organic and clever. I can't imagine people ever got bored by it.

I must admit by the way I really don't understand how a sim watching tv while eating food is enough to 'not ever go backwards' again. "Oh look, there he goes again. Watching tv with his plate on his lap, weeee, clever boy, I'm so enjoying myself right now!" I simply seriously and genuinely don't get that. That's not gameplay. I mean, it's nice they can do it, but how does that work. You sit back and watch that and that's playing the game? And you don't mind about the other completely unnatural things that take place? The many times multitasking spoils things and leads to silly situations? The random push-ups? The talking to someone who's not even looking back? Or walking away even? Say what you want but when a sim in 1 adressed someone, they adressed someone.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited December 2016

I actually hate the term 'reboot' and it seems to get used a lot these days. I am actually talking to someone on Facebook right now about the forth coming film, the Mummy with Tom Cruise in it. It is a reboot apparently and I will be watching it with caution. The older (1999) film was awesome back in the day just as the original Sims was.

We do not need reboots for he Sims, instead we need steps forwards and the last time we had a step forward back when TS3 came out back in 2009.

Totally agree. I want to forget Sims 4 ever happened and the next Sims game start up where Sims 3 left off with hopefully Sims 2 heart and soul and humor. I have learned my lesson thanks to Sims 4 though - I will approach it with caution and not buy into any promises for it's future content like I did for Sims 4. If it doesn't contain what I consider vital life stages like toddlers - then I am not buying anymore.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    Hi,

More I look at TS4, more I think it's a reboot of The Sims 1 :
    • The official site is TheSims.com instead of TheSims4.com
    • The characters like Bella Goth are here but with stories unrelated to the previous games
    • The world is a set of small maps like TS1
    • The world map can't be modified like TS1
    • There is no toddler like TS1
    • There is no playable car like TS1
    • The game is a big step backwards compared to TS3 (and maybe also TS2)
    • The Pack release dates don't follow the previous pattern
    • The development is completely reorganized

Or is TS4 the first episode of a new trilogy like Star Wars movies ?

It reminds me when BioWare left Shepard and the Mass Effect trilogy for a new story in Mass Effect Andromeda.
    TS4 is nothing like TS1! All the Sims games have had a different theme:
    1. TS1 was the first game where it was very hard just to take care of the sims and fulfill their needs.
    2. TS2 was a game about aging, neighborhood stories and family stories.
    3. TS3 was a game about an open world where random things could happen (like culling and other sims moving randomly around in the game world). But with focus on only your played family.
    4. TS4 is game with easier, happier and simpler gameplay where your sims do more things on their own. (Almost the opposite of TS1.)
    5. The Sims Freeplay is btw a game where the focus is on hobbies and earning Lifestyle Points through hobbies. It is also about controlling all the sims in the whole gameworld.

So all the Sims games have quite different themes ;)
    3. TS3 was a game about open world and customizing and neighbourhood development.

Rotational play was possible, as long as you made sure to disable automatic aging (it was harder than in 2, but not impossible). And culling was way too rare to mention it in a list like this. I should know, with my worlds filled with relatives. They only sometimes get culled when they live alone.

Totally agree with what you say about 4 in relation to 1 by the way; in fact I think you've nailed it there.
    I was talking about TS3 as EA made it. Not how it could be if you used Nraas to modify it ;)

I didn't like to play rotational in TS3 because you couldn't build neighborhood stories anyway like you could in TS2. The problem also was if you wanted to switch world and had a big family living around in your current world because the it wasn't possible to switch world at all.
    I'm basing it on my experiences before using NRaas (and the mods I do have now don't influence anything connected so I'm not sure what you mean). I too was talking about TS3 as EA made it ;) You can build neighborhood stories all you like by the way, because you can disable SP (and there's not much SP in the modless game anyway). I don't understand what switching worlds has to do with this?

My point was, your presentation of Sims 3 isn't what the game is about at all (as if 'culling' is a feature and sims moving randomly around). The open world is, CASt is, the freedom to do with those worlds what you want to do is.
    There are many worlds in TS3 and apart from the vacation worlds in WA you couldn't change world without losing all relations between your sims. So if you move adult children out and keep playing them rotational then you can't switch world without losing all family relations to your relatives in other houses. But who wants to play in the same world forever?

Other things can also happen even if you disable aging in the other families like your sims getting fired from their jobs, getting lower grades in school or losing friendships while you aren't playing them. They can also insult somebody and become enemies or they can be spotted by their partner while flirting or kissing with other sims. So you still can't freeze the other families until you play them next time.

Therefore I didn't play rotational in TS3 because it wouldn't have any purpose when I couldn't make neighborhood stories and knew that I would like to play in other worlds too. Instead I just started new games very often.

The only thing that I sometimes did in TS3 was to switch to the other houses to study the other sims and to see how they were doing. But I saved the game before I switched and reloaded my savegame when I had finished studying those sims.
    I don't understand what this has to do with your description of Sims 3 features, I always end up having a completely different conversation with you than I started off with :D But you got me curious, is that possible in Sims 2? I found this site where people are struggling how to move sims in 2 to another neighborhood and in the end someone says: "It is possible [...] Everything will be the same as it was, except you lose all of your friends." That sounds exactly the same as in Sims 3 to me? I always save everybody important to the bin and place them into the new world. From there I can continue playing with the same sims and their families (I've played in many different worlds in 3 with my one family).

When you disable SP sims won't get fired and their school grades stay neutral (which is totally unimportant anyway). Sims in 2, I've been told, can destroy relationships beyond your control as well. Or flirt beyond your control.
    No I wasn't talking about TS2. It is true that you can't move sims between the 3 original worlds in TS2 either. But as I remember it you can move your families to all the "worlds" which came in TS2 EPs because those "worlds" are just subhoods.

This isn't possible in TS3 because the new worlds from the EPs are real worlds and not subhoods. (The vacation worlds in WA are the exceptions where you can visit the new worlds even though you can't live in them.) So if you play rotational in TS3 then you can only use one EP (plus WA) until you start a new game. But who would want to not use the other EPs forever?
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Hi,

• The characters like Bella Goth are here but with stories unrelated to the previous games

It reminds me when BioWare left Shepard and the Mass Effect trilogy for a new story in Mass Effect Andromeda.
    1. TS1 was the first game where it was very hard just to take care of the sims and fulfill their needs.
    3. TS3 was a game about an open world where random things could happen (like culling and other sims moving randomly around in the game world). But with focus on only your played family.
    4. TS4 is game with easier, happier and simpler gameplay where your sims do more things on their own. (Almost the opposite of TS1.)
    5. The Sims Freeplay is btw a game where the focus is on hobbies and earning Lifestyle Points through hobbies. It is also about controlling all the sims in the whole gameworld.

3. TS3 was a game about open world and customizing and neighbourhood development.

Rotational play was possible, as long as you made sure to disable automatic aging (it was harder than in 2, but not impossible). And culling was way too rare to mention it in a list like this. I should know, with my worlds filled with relatives. They only sometimes get culled when they live alone.

Totally agree with what you say about 4 in relation to 1 by the way; in fact I think you've nailed it there.
    I was talking about TS3 as EA made it. Not how it could be if you used Nraas to modify it ;)

I didn't like to play rotational in TS3 because you couldn't build neighborhood stories anyway like you could in TS2. The problem also was if you wanted to switch world and had a big family living around in your current world because the it wasn't possible to switch world at all.
    I'm basing it on my experiences before using NRaas (and the mods I do have now don't influence anything connected so I'm not sure what you mean). I too was talking about TS3 as EA made it ;) You can build neighborhood stories all you like by the way, because you can disable SP (and there's not much SP in the modless game anyway). I don't understand what switching worlds has to do with this?

My point was, your presentation of Sims 3 isn't what the game is about at all (as if 'culling' is a feature and sims moving randomly around). The open world is, CASt is, the freedom to do with those worlds what you want to do is.
    There are many worlds in TS3 and apart from the vacation worlds in WA you couldn't change world without losing all relations between your sims. So if you move adult children out and keep playing them rotational then you can't switch world without losing all family relations to your relatives in other houses. But who wants to play in the same world forever?

Other things can also happen even if you disable aging in the other families like your sims getting fired from their jobs, getting lower grades in school or losing friendships while you aren't playing them. They can also insult somebody and become enemies or they can be spotted by their partner while flirting or kissing with other sims. So you still can't freeze the other families until you play them next time.

Therefore I didn't play rotational in TS3 because it wouldn't have any purpose when I couldn't make neighborhood stories and knew that I would like to play in other worlds too. Instead I just started new games very often.

The only thing that I sometimes did in TS3 was to switch to the other houses to study the other sims and to see how they were doing. But I saved the game before I switched and reloaded my savegame when I had finished studying those sims.
    I don't understand what this has to do with your description of Sims 3 features, I always end up having a completely different conversation with you than I started off with :D But you got me curious, is that possible in Sims 2? I found this site where people are struggling how to move sims in 2 to another neighborhood and in the end someone says: "It is possible [...] Everything will be the same as it was, except you lose all of your friends." That sounds exactly the same as in Sims 3 to me? I always save everybody important to the bin and place them into the new world. From there I can continue playing with the same sims and their families (I've played in many different worlds in 3 with my one family).

When you disable SP sims won't get fired and their school grades stay neutral (which is totally unimportant anyway). Sims in 2, I've been told, can destroy relationships beyond your control as well. Or flirt beyond your control.
    No I wasn't talking about TS2. It is true that you can't move sims between the 3 original worlds in TS2 either. But as I remember it you can move your families to all the "worlds" which came in TS2 EPs because those "worlds" are just subhoods.

This isn't possible in TS3 because the new worlds from the EPs are real worlds and not subhoods. (The vacation worlds in WA are the exceptions where you can visit the new worlds even though you can't live in them.) So if you play rotational in TS3 then you can only use one EP (plus WA) until you start a new game. But who would want to not use the other EPs forever?

There are more worlds than just the 3 base game Sims 2 worlds that came with eps, like Bella's Cove (Belladonna). Riverblossom, Desiderata. They are not subworlds. We can also make non-subworlds for Sims 2 besides the ones that come with the game too.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    I agree with the OP. Actually, I think that it is a lot like The Sims Online. The building restrictions in Sims 4 are a lot like the building restrictions in The Sims Online. One example: no terrain tools!
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    I do not compare any sims games as to me they are their own entity. Maybe that is why when I was able to play before fire, I could enjoy some parts of all the games when I wanted to play certain parts of the games from the past I did. Sims 4 is just that a newer game with the limitations being what they are. I do not see the future games getting any better. There are things that bother me in all the games the limitations in all the games. They are all a trade off. You trade performance for open worlds in sims 3 in sims 1 you trade off the graphics because of when it was made. In sims 2 you trade off building there are trade off in all of them.
    Could the games be better, they all in my opinion could be better they all lack something that I have been playing and think why didn't they expand on that. Why did they leave out blank and blank? The same kinds of problems seem to show up again and again. I do not think there will ever be a sims game that you can compare and have one come out more perfect than another, just my opinion.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    edited December 2016
    I see a lot of simmers here compare TS4 to TS1 so all I have to say about this is... To this day I can spend hours for several days playing TS1, while I tend to get bored with TS4 fairly quickly...

So on topic, if TS4 is indeed a reboot, it shouldn't have been given a '4' to it's name... :|
  • Options
    Omri147 wrote: »
    I see a lot of simmers here compare TS4 to TS1 so all I have to say about this is... To this day I can spend hours for several days playing TS1, while I tend to get bored with TS4 fairly quickly...

So on topic, if TS4 is indeed a reboot, it shouldn't have been given a '4' to it's name... :|

I agree - in many way it is actually less than Sims 1 as I can still find ways to enjoy Sims 1 that I can't in Sims 4. Sims 1 humor alone is off the charts fun. The hardest part of Sims 1 is between the speed of time and the fact sims never have a day off - they work or go to school continuously 7 days a week. But you are right I can enjoy Sims 1 for hours more than I can tolerate Sims 4. Sims 4 just grates on my nerves to be so modern yet missing so much I've grown accustomed to over the years with all the improvements up thru Sims 3. Of course unlike a number of simmers I don't have issues with Sims 3 so it may be why it makes no sense to me that Sims 4 has any issues at all as it is pretty much empty and very limited when I compare it to Sims 3 at all. I still find Sims 2 extremely enjoyable as well. Not Sims 4 at all and it makes me so sad as I so love the Sims games.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

Totally agree. I want to forget Sims 4 ever happened and the next Sims game start up where Sims 3 left off with hopefully Sims 2 heart and soul and humor. I have learned my lesson thanks to Sims 4 though - I will approach it with caution and not buy into any promises for it's future content like I did for Sims 4. If it doesn't contain what I consider vital life stages like toddlers - then I am not buying anymore.

I think that a lot of players might 'aproach with cation' if their is a new game announced.

One thing that I do know though is that a lot of players will drop TS4 like a stone once TS5 is announced and a few players would be glad to move on into something new
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Hi,

There are more worlds than just the 3 base game Sims 2 worlds that came with eps, like Bella's Cove (Belladonna). Riverblossom, Desiderata. They are not subworlds. We can also make non-subworlds for Sims 2 besides the ones that come with the game too.
    I only bought the first 5 EPs for TS2 and I know that we could use SimCity 4 to make other worlds. But I usually only played in one of the 3 worlds that came with the basegame. Nevertheless I was able to have 10 to 15 subworlds for my sims to live in too.

So I never ran out of space like I did in TS3 if I wanted to add some of the new buildings from one of its EPs. Therefore I always had to start over in a new game if I wanted my sims to visit such new buildings.

My problem therefore never was about moving sims from Strangetown to Veronaville or visa versa because I never wanted such a thing. It was always just about adding new buildings without having enough space for them. This was easily solved in TS2 but not at all in TS3.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited December 2016
    @Omri147 wrote: »

TS4 is more a new beginning than a new evolution, the "4" could be removed.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Hi,

I only bought the first 5 EPs for TS2 and I know that we could use SimCity 4 to make other worlds. But I usually only played in one of the 3 worlds that came with the basegame. Nevertheless I was able to have 10 to 15 subworlds for my sims to live in too.

So I never ran out of space like I did in TS3 if I wanted to add some of the new buildings from one of its EPs. Therefore I always had to start over in a new game if I wanted my sims to visit such new buildings.

My problem therefore never was about moving sims from Strangetown to Veronaville or visa versa because I never wanted such a thing. It was always just about adding new buildings without having enough space for them. This was easily solved in TS2 but not at all in TS3.

Has never been an issue for me in Sims 3 and I own everything ever made for Sims 3 - the whole store - all eps and sps - everything - but no CC or mods. I help with worlds so I could not use mods and CC or else I would not see issues in the user made worlds where mods fixed issues - lol so I have just never used them. As for worlds well I use tons of user made worlds that run flawless and are much bigger than any of the Maxis worlds.

I do like a lot of the store worlds too - so do play smaller in those but generally I don't change them a lot anyway - but Maxis store worlds always had lots of empty lots for us to use so it wasn't a real problem. I also like all my populations to be different in the different worlds so it was never an issue of my even wanting to move a family to a different world. It is the one annoyance I get in Sims 2 in the Maxis made sub worlds unless you use them in other worlds you get the same sims so I generally just use the templates to populate them myself.

In real life I don't go to different towns and see the same people so I don't expect that in my sims worlds. LOL. I enjoy making sims so not an issue.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    @Omri147 wrote: »

TS4 is more a new beginning than a new evolution, the "4" could be removed.

I agree. That was my argument with Sims 4 to begin with as it is not a Sims series game but more of a side game like Castaways etc - and I never bought into those. I would have never bought a Sims side game because I did not like how they were so different than the way I enjoyed playing and thus I would not have bought Sims 4 nor cared it didn't have the tots and cars and such because it was a side game. No they put the 4 on it trying to fool us into believing it was the 4th rendition of the Sims and it is NOT!

So totally agree with this.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Hi,

I think there's no doubt Sims 2 was best for rotational play. I think I understand what you mean when it concerns family (because family ties are broken when you move different households to a new world). But that's it really. For the rest you can take as many households to a new world as you like, put them all in there and continue playing (rotational if you want). I never understood why they never allowed us to restore family ties in 3, it was an unnecessary restriction (and not hard to implement because with a NRaas mod you can, it was possible to implement this). Still don't understand what this has to do with anything discussed in this topic though ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Hi,

Has never been an issue for me in Sims 3 and I own everything ever made for Sims 3 - the whole store - all eps and sps - everything - but no CC or mods. I help with worlds so I could not use mods and CC or else I would not see issues in the user made worlds where mods fixed issues - lol so I have just never used them. As for worlds well I use tons of user made worlds that run flawless and are much bigger than any of the Maxis worlds.

I do like a lot of the store worlds too - so do play smaller in those but generally I don't change them a lot anyway - but Maxis store worlds always had lots of empty lots for us to use so it wasn't a real problem. I also like all my populations to be different in the different worlds so it was never an issue of my even wanting to move a family to a different world. It is the one annoyance I get in Sims 2 in the Maxis made sub worlds unless you use them in other worlds you get the same sims so I generally just use the templates to populate them myself.

In real life I don't go to different towns and see the same people so I don't expect that in my sims worlds. LOL. I enjoy making sims so not an issue.
    The problem wasn't for me to get enough empty lots for my sims to live in because TS3 didn't allow me to play that many families anyway. Instead it was to get public buildings from all the EPs placed in the same game such that my sims could use them. This wasn't possible like it was in TS2 because TS3 didn't allow us to add subhoods. I don't know if the problem was solved in later expansions though because I only bought the first 3 EPs for TS3. But I didn't like TS3's disconnected worlds at all which was one of my reasons for not continuing to play that game longer than I did.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I actually play about 30 or more families in each of my worlds in Sims 3. Did you get all the updates? They did several fixes to the rotational play as well as seriously stopped the culling in 3 also. If you move your family and tombstones together it will keep the family tree intact in one of the later patches. I think it was a patch to do with the last ep ITF - not sure. But like I said I am not one to move to new worlds anyway. I like to play new worlds with new Sims.

But anyway - I still agree Sims 4 is closer to being like Sims 1 - but more a separate sidegame period and really should not have the 4 in it's title in my opinion to get back on topic. I'm aware lots of people like the side games - I just am not one of those and do not appreciate being fooled into believe it was the 4th rendition of the series.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Hi,

Do you own all EP's for Sims 3? I do and I never ran out of space. Because I don't need every building to be in that world. I see Sims 4 players complaining about lack of space, not Sims 3 players. The only time I had to move my sims to a new world was when IP was released. For me it was one of the down sides of that EP, the fact I was forced to do that. Every single other EP however I played in the world where my sims were living. Mostly Store worlds.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    edited December 2016
    I like to think of sims 4 as a facade of the sims. Sims 4 is so good at facades, you know ;)
    Edit: if you don't know meaning of facade, please google before commenting
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    I like to think of sims 4 as a facade of the sims. Sims 4 is so good at facades, you know ;)

You got that right - like the city in CL, the cars, the fx all over the place. Like the Truman show. Hollywood. All for show - little substance.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Hi,

Do you own all EP's for Sims 3? I do and I never ran out of space. Because I don't need every building to be in that world. I see Sims 4 players complaining about lack of space, not Sims 3 players. The only time I had to move my sims to a new world was when IP was released. For me it was one of the down sides of that EP, the fact I was forced to do that. Every single other EP however I played in the world where my sims were living. Mostly Store worlds.
    No I ownly bought the first 3 EPs for TS3 and I stopped playing it before the later updates were released. Apparently there were some improvements later. But they weren't enough to get me back. The focus on only one family while all the other families were just NPCs and the lack of neighborhood stories and family stories didn't suit my playstyle at all. For me the price of the open world was way too high and World Adventures was almost the only thing I liked in TS3.
  • Options
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    Yes it is about the looks and to watch the sims act autonomously on their own instead of controlling them so much as we used to. I don't like that they made especially the multitasking this way because I like to control my sims. Therefore the multitasking should have been about giving the sims a second task of our own choice instead of letting the sims just choose such extra tasks themselves.
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited December 2016
    No no no no... guess you weren't around for the actual launch. The guy who was at the time heading up Maxis was fired shortly after launch of Sim City Online. He planned to put Sims 4 online just like Sim City Online but after failure of Sim City Online AND the simple fact EA doesn't like listening to their fans(we didn't want sims 4 online at all). At this time Sims 4 was almost nearing completion and EA realized how big of a failure Sims 4 could be if it goes online just like Sim City Online. So EA like bonehead cash grabber they are went through with Sims 4 without the Online.

Okay that said, this is totally the reasoning behind the animations, graphics, gameplay. The Sims 4 was suppose to be a MMO title and it has all the staple marks of a current gen MMO. The game would have been 100x better if they had created it from the start to be a single player video game... every aspect from content, graphics, anims would been better and its why I expect to see Sims 5 news this coming summer. I personally can barely stomach to play Sims 4 the Sims 3 is so much better overall and thats not saying much it being such old technology. Sims 4 while fun for some isn't quite as fun for me but if they could get seasons and proper vacation pack into the game it may be enough for me to go ahead and begin playing again... if not? I will sit and wait for Sims 5.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited December 2016
    Maybe they tried to avoid the curse of SimCity 5 aka SimCity (2013), so they didn't claim The Sims 4 as The Sims (2014)
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Harrison wrote: »
    Are you kidding? Are you kidding?
    I just watched the sims supply video of the sims 1 and what I have noticed so far is:

-Building is extremely limited

-Cannot customize roof

-Can only build 2 story high houses

-Only 2 dimensional

In fact, I haven't even gotten to the actual gameplay! But how do you people not see the limitations?

Yes, building was very limited. There were no foundations, half-stairs, half-walls, or basements. Subcategories of walls and floors did not exist in Sims 1. Collections did not exist in Sims 1. There was no search function, like Sims 4 has, and everything was sorted low to high by price. Players like myself used hint books to figure out where in the catalog to find specific objects, walls, and floors. Two stories was the limit.

The roof TEXTURE could be customized. The roof shape had only 4 options, varying only by height of roof. Players could and did create their own custom roof textures.

Two-dimensional is relative: the characters and objects did not look completely flat (like Pac Man), but the graphics really were structured two-dimensionally. When creating custom objects for Sims 1 using the Transmogrifier, one only had to clone an object, and supply pictures of the object facing 4 different directions in the correct size, resolution and picture format, taking care not to clip the object into walls, or else instructing anyone with download access to the object not to place it near a wall. (Many green flamingos were created this way.)

The gameplay however, made the game. It was a very challenging time-management exercise if you had more than 2 Sims in a household and you wanted to keep their mood up. Sims 1 AI was very limited: Sims would pick a random need to fill on their own if their needs were low - the usual one they seemed to pick most was fun, which was a problem if their hunger need was low. Sims controlled by the player would not usually socialize unless prompted to. (However, couples that were at a high romance level were likely to reduce the romance level by nagging each other.) There was a room need, which was influenced by whether the lot the Sim was on had an open floorplan or not. The novelty of the game made it popular initially, but each expansion pack added a lot of gameplay features, and loads of new objects with NEW functions, new NPCs, and activities, often new venues, and sometimes even new neighbors (Unleashed). By the time Sims Complete Collection came out, there was a lot for Sims to do. But there were no game packs or even stuff packs created for Sims 1.

Toddlers, teens, young adults, and elders did not exist in The Sims. Adults could be created that *looked* like young adults or elders, but teens could only be made through a mod, and they always looked odd. There was no aging in the Sims, and no birthday cakes that facilitated aging. In Makin Magic, finally one of the child charms allowed a child to magically grow up to an adult. There was also no such thing as a "married" relationship, or a "girlfriend/boyfriend" relationship. There was just different levels of romance, and jealousy was a major thing that made it very difficult to have multiple romantic relationships at the same time. (Even complimenting another Sim in front of your Sim's lover would cause the relationship to take a major hit, and your lover, if present on the same lot, became instant enemies with whoever was complimented.) Sims would not woohoo unless their romance was at 100 and they were in a good mood. There were no aspirations either - the player playing the game made up their own ideas of what they would do with their Sims. The most common ways of playing made it into Sims 2 as aspirations (and then grilled cheese was added). Speaking of which, the food options in The Sims were very limited, and there were no food descriptions, except for custom food that was made by talented fans of the game.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.