Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Don't Forget Us!

Comments

• Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    ravamaile wrote: »
    meeoun wrote: »
    Here's an idea:
    Maybe the developers should just give us the tools to make our own worlds. Or even, the ability to modify existing worlds.
    You know?
    Like they did in TS2 and TS3.
    I mean, they...played..that..right?.... :|

I doubt that all of them have played TS2 or TS3, as some of them, while replying to the questions about City Living, wondered how building of an apartment complex would differ from building a regular lot.

Exactly. Gurus that don't even have any knowledge of previous games or are purposely acting oblivious so their game doesn't seem as lacking. smh

Not true - many - many of the Sims 4 devs (and all the programmers) for Sims 4 were there through Sims 2 and Sims 3 - there is even a few that go back to Sims 1. What made no sense was who they brought in to head Sims 4 development - who is now gone - who knew zilch about the Sims. Trouble is she started this ball rolling so we are stuck with this ball until "GAME OVER" more or less.
    I still don't believe that it was her fault though because I am quite sure that she made the game just like EA wanted her to and she clearly had a lot of discussions with all the other developers too. But how could she make the game much different if EA told her to:
    1. Get the minimum requirements so low that most young teens could run the game on their cheap laptops at the cost of the open world which had given both the developers and EA's support so many problems in TS3.
    2. Focus on new things like multitasking, even better and simpler CAS, better and simpler buildmode plus new emotions and partying which so many had loved in the previous games while traditional family play had become old and probably less interesting for new young teen simmers.

I don't claim that this is her exact orders - but I actually think that they are much closer to the truth than people expect. So what could she have done different?

That probably has some truth to it but I also think that many of the decisions were made by her. There are the interview statements about telemetry showing TS3 toddlers weren't played much. I would have investigated why and not just accept the gathered data.

This is backed up by a recent post here by SGLyndsay. She didn't know why players were not using the voodoo doll. People replied things like they didn't even know it was in the game or that they tried it and thought the game play that came with it was 'lame'. Same went with recolors of buy items. Players responded with it was so hard to find matching items that when they found things that matched they used them over and over.

I've also seen interviews where she stated some things were in the game because she liked them and thought they were fun. That strikes me as similar to one of the devs saying he didn't add chef or server to DO because he didn't think it would be fun to play them.
    It still isn't her fault if she discussed the time limits with EA who then told her to omit toddlers if that would help because EA's telemetry had proved that toddlers weren't played much and because EA didn't want TS4 to focus as much on babies and children as the earlier games. (I am quite sure that EA's focus was on TS4 becoming as different from especially TS3 as possible because EA probably didn't believe that enough people would buy the Sims 4 basegame if they were told that "The Sims 4 is almost the the same game which just doesn't have any expansions yet. So I would just wait a year and go on playing TS3 - at least until we also can get some expansions for TS4!"

This would have been a catastrophe for EA. So therefore I am sure that EA is very focused on giving a lot of new content in each new Sims game already in the basegame. Therefore I don't believe that EA would have accepted it if she had decided to omit the new emotions or multitasking to give TS4 better babies, toddlers and shorter teens instead.

And I find it ironic that these two things are what give the game problems for many. The multitasking can interfere with actions (player)placed in the queue and the emotions are what override a lot of the traits.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    Oh dear, playing the victim again I see.

@Arletta yes, I think that you did jump in this thread just to tell the OP that they can't possibly do everything everyone requested - and the implication is that people should stop asking. If that's not what you meant, then exactly what was your motivation for doing that? As has been pointed out, obviously no one was speaking for you, but they were speaking for a lot of people who feel the same way. Although why you would not want things in the game that can be interacted with Instead of being just visual things to look at is beyond me, but to each their own.

There are things that I don't care about either, but I don't jump into threads and tell people that the devs can't do everything for everyone. That's for the devs to say and not me. And honestly if you don't want more depth in the game I don't think you have anything to worry about because as much as I'd love to see it, I think the game is too difficult to modify and it will never happen because it's too hard and too expensive. :#

And your comment about "too hard and too expensive has already been addressed by Drake as being misquoted and taken out of context. This is the kind of toxic "feedback" that some of you constantly put out, and then you wonder why the dev, and gurus ignore you? People have every right to come into any thread and post their opinion, and Arletta is correct in that everything can't be put into a game. And nowhere did she say that people can't ask.
  • Options
    simspeaker4simspeaker4 Posts: 5,999 Member
    Mendota wrote: »
    Oh dear, playing the victim again I see.

@Arletta yes, I think that you did jump in this thread just to tell the OP that they can't possibly do everything everyone requested - and the implication is that people should stop asking. If that's not what you meant, then exactly what was your motivation for doing that? As has been pointed out, obviously no one was speaking for you, but they were speaking for a lot of people who feel the same way. Although why you would not want things in the game that can be interacted with Instead of being just visual things to look at is beyond me, but to each their own.

There are things that I don't care about either, but I don't jump into threads and tell people that the devs can't do everything for everyone. That's for the devs to say and not me. And honestly if you don't want more depth in the game I don't think you have anything to worry about because as much as I'd love to see it, I think the game is too difficult to modify and it will never happen because it's too hard and too expensive. :#

And your comment about "too hard and too expensive has already been addressed by Drake as being misquoted and taken out of context. This is the kind of toxic "feedback" that some of you constantly put out, and then you wonder why the dev, and gurus ignore you? People have every right to come into any thread and post their opinion, and Arletta is correct in that everything can't be put into a game. And nowhere did she say that people can't ask.

Toxicity comes from both sides, I fear.
    I am a perfectly decrepit withered old hag who enjoys self-mockery.

Need help falling asleep? http://wry7000.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2016
    Here's an idea:
    Maybe the developers should just give us the tools to make our own worlds. Or even, the ability to modify existing worlds.
    You know?

I doubt that all of them have played TS2 or TS3, as some of them, while replying to the questions about City Living, wondered how building of an apartment complex would differ from building a regular lot.

Exactly. Gurus that don't even have any knowledge of previous games or are purposely acting oblivious so their game doesn't seem as lacking. smh

Not true - many - many of the Sims 4 devs (and all the programmers) for Sims 4 were there through Sims 2 and Sims 3 - there is even a few that go back to Sims 1. What made no sense was who they brought in to head Sims 4 development - who is now gone - who knew zilch about the Sims. Trouble is she started this ball rolling so we are stuck with this ball until "GAME OVER" more or less.
    I still don't believe that it was her fault though because I am quite sure that she made the game just like EA wanted her to and she clearly had a lot of discussions with all the other developers too. But how could she make the game much different if EA told her to:
    1. Get the minimum requirements so low that most young teens could run the game on their cheap laptops at the cost of the open world which had given both the developers and EA's support so many problems in TS3.
    2. Focus on new things like multitasking, even better and simpler CAS, better and simpler buildmode plus new emotions and partying which so many had loved in the previous games while traditional family play had become old and probably less interesting for new young teen simmers.

I don't claim that this is her exact orders - but I actually think that they are much closer to the truth than people expect. So what could she have done different?

That probably has some truth to it but I also think that many of the decisions were made by her. There are the interview statements about telemetry showing TS3 toddlers weren't played much. I would have investigated why and not just accept the gathered data.

This is backed up by a recent post here by SGLyndsay. She didn't know why players were not using the voodoo doll. People replied things like they didn't even know it was in the game or that they tried it and thought the game play that came with it was 'lame'. Same went with recolors of buy items. Players responded with it was so hard to find matching items that when they found things that matched they used them over and over.

I've also seen interviews where she stated some things were in the game because she liked them and thought they were fun. That strikes me as similar to one of the devs saying he didn't add chef or server to DO because he didn't think it would be fun to play them.
    It still isn't her fault if she discussed the time limits with EA who then told her to omit toddlers if that would help because EA's telemetry had proved that toddlers weren't played much and because EA didn't want TS4 to focus as much on babies and children as the earlier games. (I am quite sure that EA's focus was on TS4 becoming as different from especially TS3 as possible because EA probably didn't believe that enough people would buy the Sims 4 basegame if they were told that "The Sims 4 is almost the the same game which just doesn't have any expansions yet. So I would just wait a year and go on playing TS3 - at least until we also can get some expansions for TS4!"

This would have been a catastrophe for EA. So therefore I am sure that EA is very focused on giving a lot of new content in each new Sims game already in the basegame. Therefore I don't believe that EA would have accepted it if she had decided to omit the new emotions or multitasking to give TS4 better babies, toddlers and shorter teens instead.

You speak as if EA is an entity giving commands, when it is the name of the publisher and parent company first of all. Second of all. the one who was in charge of EA at the time she was brought in is not the same CEO in charge of EA when the game came out. The vision of the company changed but funny the direction of the game stayed the same even though the new CEO himself even stated he wanted the player first - RF stuck with her program though - not doing - as far as we can see what the company was asking.

I know one thing I attend the meetings and I hear directly what EA's CEO and other officers say - believe me they are very much player oriented since Andrew Wilson took the helm. A world of difference than when the former CEO ran things - and all to the better for the players. It is very possible Sims 4 cannot just be turned completely around seeing it was a finished game when Andrew took over too. I cannot say for sure - as they rarely mention Sims 4 at all in the quarterly meetings to be honest. Sims FreePlay and Sim City Build It get more acknowledgement than Sims 4 does.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Here's an idea:
    You know?

You speak as if EA is an entity giving commands, when it is the name of the publisher and parent company first of all. Second of all. the one who was in charge of EA at the time she was brought in is not the same CEO in charge of EA when the game came out. The vision of the company changed but funny the direction of the game stayed the same even though the new CEO himself even stated he wanted the player first - RF stuck with her program though - not doing - as far as we can see what the company was asking.

I know one thing I attend the meetings and I hear directly what EA's CEO and other officers say - believe me they are very much player oriented since Andrew Wilson took the helm. A world of difference than when the former CEO ran things - and all to the better for the players. It is very possible Sims 4 cannot just be turned completely around seeing it was a finished game when Andrew took over too. I cannot say for sure - as they rarely mention Sims 4 at all in the quarterly meetings to be honest. Sims FreePlay and Sim City Build It get more acknowledgement than Sims 4 does.
    When I write something like "EA decided" I don't refer to just one person because even the CEO doesn't usually make decisions on his own without discussing them with other people first. So if I talk about EA's decisions you should most often not interpret it as "EA's CEO" but instead more like "EA's board of directors". But even that expression isn't always true because EA's board also discuss some of the decisions with other people who aren't even members of the board.

Besides that all leaders in EA probably to some extent can sometimes make decisions on their own and give orders without discussing everything withe the board first. So when we don't know who exactly gave the orders and discussed the decisions with RF it is easier to just write "EA" instead of guessing if it was the CEO, the COO or somebody else in the top of EA. Therefore I usually do that ;)
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I think gameplay decisions are taken at Sims Studio level. The "higher ups" in EA will be given presentations by the top people in the Studios and if the presentation makes the case for economic viability the big bosses will probably not be the slightest bit interested in hearing about things like whether we can edit our worlds or give our sims pointy ears.
  • Options
    IngeJones wrote: »
    I think gameplay decisions are taken at Sims Studio level. The "higher ups" in EA will be given presentations by the top people in the Studios and if the presentation makes the case for economic viability the big bosses will probably not be the slightest bit interested in hearing about things like whether we can edit our worlds or give our sims pointy ears.
    I only partly agree in this although you are probably right in assuming that small details usually don't interest the higher ups. But I am quite sure that things that are vital for optaining high sales number always will have huge interest for them and that they want to make sure that such things aren't ignored by the developers just to satisfy a few simmers in the forum.

Things of vital interest for EA's top are probably the game's minimum requirement and new things that can be used in the advertising. Also the time and amount of resource used on the game are of course of vital interest for EA's top.

So for TS4 I think that EA's top wanted low minimum requirements and after negotiations with the developers about the options for the main new things insisted on multitasking, the new emotions, improved CAS and improved buildmode. After this decision I don't think that even RF had EA's permittance to change those things and I don't think that RF would have dared to omit toddlers without special permission from EA's top either. She probably told EA that especially the multitasking had taken a lot of time to develop so she either needed more time to make toddlers, babies and teens or to omit toddlers and simplify babies by tying them to their cradle and to give teens the same height as adults. Then I think that EA's top told her to keep the budget, the new emotions and the multitasking and to omit toddlers and simplify babies and teens as needed to get the game ready before its time limit.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    I can believe that EA insisted on low minimum requirements for the game. But I do not believe that they would have dictated any kind of game play elements.

I think what they probably asked for was a game that could be played on many different devices. This is a big thing for EA these days; they believe that people want to play the same games on PC, consoles, and socially with others online. After being given these parameters, I believe that it was totally up to Maxis how to build a game that fit them.

When you look at the original Olympus concept (as far as we know of it), it had some console-like play, an online social component, and a 'freeplay' component (nothing to do with the mobile game, but a component representing a streamlined traditional Sims game made up from the other components). One of the first interviews they did before the game came out also mentioned the possibilit of having some mobile apps that would tie into the game; one was suggested as tying into careers so it would be about helping your sim advance and the other was for creating sims that you could use in the game. All basically theoretical at that point I suspect, but it tells you they had big multi-platform plans for the game.

I'm also not entirely sure who was managing the game. I'm not sure that Rachel was working with Maxis until 2014, so she would have mostly made decisions after the game came out. There were some other execs who are now no longer with EA that may have had more to do with early decisions than Rachel did, I do believe that the game didn't improve as much as many of us wanted it to because of the amount of money it would cost to make those changes, and I suspect that's going to remain true even though I think they'll do their best with what they've got to work with.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    @HappySimmer3 What you write is in a huge conflict with reality because it seems obvious to me that EA's decision was to only have TS4 on Windows PCs and on Mac while EA only wanted the Sims Freeplay to be on all types of mobile devices (even on Blackberry and Kindle). It also seems clear that EA doesn't want to have any Sims games for consoles right now.

But I know that it is extremely important for EA to have something new in each new Sims games because otherwise it would unavoidably have a negative affect on the sales numbers. For TS4 those new things were the new emotions, multitasking, a new and improved CAS and a new and improved buildmode and EA has used those things in all the advertising for TS4. Therefore I don't believe that EA would have accepted it if RF had told EA or suggested to EA that any of those things wouldn't be in the game anyway. Marketing and advertising has always been the most important things for EA since EA started as a pure game publisher in 1982 (and first later became a game developer too in the 1990s).
  • Options
    OK. Feel free to believe what you want, @Erpe. The reality is that you don't speak for EA (unless there's something you haven't told us, wink wink), so my interpretation could be true. I certainly feel free to believe it over your interpretation. :D

BTW, I'm not saying that EA didn't like the new components like multi-tasking that were added to the game, of course they want new twists that might interest customers, but IMO evidence points toward their desire for multi-platform games, which Olympus seems to have been designed for and which I believe was the origins of the current game. And I also do not think EA gets involved in game development other than to set parameters and give approvals. So we will just have to agree to disagree. ;)

• Options
    OK. Feel free to believe what you want, @Erpe. The reality is that you don't speak for EA (unless there's something you haven't told us, wink wink), so my interpretation could be true. I certainly feel free to believe it over your interpretation. :D

BTW, I'm not saying that EA didn't like the new components like multi-tasking that were added to the game, of course they want new twists that might interest customers, but IMO evidence points toward their desire for multi-platform games, which Olympus seems to have been designed for and which I believe was the origins of the current game. And I also do not think EA gets involved in game development other than to set parameters and give approvals. So we will just have to agree to disagree. ;)
    It isn't about what we believe or who of us is right but instead about the reasons :)

I just don't know from where you have that idea that "EA likes multiplatform games"?

It could be true for some of EA's other games but I don't play them because they are mainly sports games and first-person-shooters. So I don't know much about them.

But for the Sims games I can't see that you can have that idea from anywhere? For me it seems that EA is going in the exact opposite direction:
    1. The Sims 2 and/or the Sims 3 were multiplatform games although the versions for consoles and mobile devices were much smaller than the PC versions.
    2. But TS4 is a PC-only game which still only is available for Windows and Mac and not on neither consoles nor mobile devices and there are no signs that this will change.

I think that the reason is that TS2 and TS3 never sold very well for consoles or mobile devices. And the other reason of course is that EA now has the Sims Freeplay. But even this doesn't explain why EA still doesn't seem to be interested in TS4 on consoles. So how would you explain this?
  • Options
    I think you haven't been reading very many articles that get published that discuss the multi-platform business model. But I really have no desire to sit here arguing with you about it, so like I said - feel free to believe whatever you want. But nothing you have said changes my own perceptions, just like nothing I have said changes yours. End of story.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    @HappySimmer3 What you write is in a huge conflict with reality because it seems obvious to me that EA's decision was to only have TS4 on Windows PCs and on Mac while EA only wanted the Sims Freeplay to be on all types of mobile devices (even on Blackberry and Kindle). It also seems clear that EA doesn't want to have any Sims games for consoles right now.

But I know that it is extremely important for EA to have something new in each new Sims games because otherwise it would unavoidably have a negative affect on the sales numbers. For TS4 those new things were the new emotions, multitasking, a new and improved CAS and a new and improved buildmode and EA has used those things in all the advertising for TS4. Therefore I don't believe that EA would have accepted it if RF had told EA or suggested to EA that any of those things wouldn't be in the game anyway. Marketing and advertising has always been the most important things for EA since EA started as a pure game publisher in 1982 (and first later became a game developer too in the 1990s).

Actually HappySimmer is right. Like I said I attend EVERY conference call. Also Sims FreePlay is not their only Sims Mobile App - they also have Sims 3 Mobile - check it yourself - you can find them at both the Apple Store and Itunes. Not free though like Free Play. There is also Sims Cities - Build It - as popular an app as FreePlay. Better recheck your sources - as you are very wrong.

But Maxis Studio is in charge of The Sims period. They decide. Of course EA 's reps can object to their decisions if they disagree with a new concept or idea - but to the best of my knowledge this has not happened at least up to August 10th anyway. Can't say what has happened since that last Earnings call yet. Maxis decided there wouldn't be Sims 4 for console as well or so they announced it as such.

ETA - Oh - almost forgot The Sims Medieval App too - and more: yes - they have more Sims/Maxis Apps - just search for your self or go to EA's actual site and read the news for the last several years. Check the app stores too - If it has been in Sims/Maxis - it is already at the app store - ironically not Sims 4 though. The Sims 4 is not EA's star pupil or cash cow after all - and quite frankly EA the company seems much more interested and involved in the Apps than running overseeing Sims 4 and what Maxis is doing. They meet with them after they have a Maxis meeting - ask what do you need - they tell them - and EA gives it to them - and that came out of the mouth of EA's COO Peter Moore - himself. ( I actually saw the live interview on Spike TV but here is a written interview made around that same time as well with Peter. He said pretty much the same thing in both interviews.)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-sims-3/id317904170?mt=8

http://play.mob.org/game/the_sims_3.html

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/simcity-buildit/id913292932?mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.simcitymobile_row&hl=en

http://www.ea.com/sims-medieval-ios

EAs Coo - Peter Moore:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-07-01-eas-moore

And here is the CEO - this is EA News and he says:

http://www.ea.com/news/an-organizational-update

Pretty much agrees with what HappySimmer says if you ask me -

Finally - I see Frostbite is now the official EA game engine - and now - believe me I dream of a Sims game on Frostbite... That happens and we will see the best Sims game ever - at least I sure hope so. That is one righteous game engine there - and things dreams are made of for some of us gamers....

Oh yes - almost forgot - want to read and see how Maxis decides things and does things - see for your self - complete with pictures.

http://www.ea.com/news/the-sims-roundtable-adding-more-choices-to-the-sims-4
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,972 Member

Actually HappySimmer is right. Like I said I attend EVERY conference call. Also Sims FreePlay is not their only Sims Mobile App - they also have Sims 3 Mobile - check it yourself - you can find them at both the Apple Store and Itunes. Not free though like Free Play. There is also Sims Cities - Build It - as popular an app as FreePlay. Better recheck your sources - as you are very wrong.

But Maxis Studio is in charge of The Sims period. They decide. Of course EA 's reps can object to their decisions if they disagree with a new concept or idea - but to the best of my knowledge this has not happened at least up to August 10th anyway. Can't say what has happened since that last Earnings call yet. Maxis decided there wouldn't be Sims 4 for console as well or so they announced it as such.

ETA - Oh - almost forgot The Sims Medieval App too - and more: yes - they have more Sims/Maxis Apps - just search for your self or go to EA's actual site and read the news for the last several years. Check the app stores too - If it has been in Sims/Maxis - it is already at the app store - ironically not Sims 4 though. The Sims 4 is not EA's star pupil or cash cow after all - and quite frankly EA the company seems much more interested and involved in the Apps than running overseeing Sims 4 and what Maxis is doing. They meet with them after they have a Maxis meeting - ask what do you need - they tell them - and EA gives it to them - and that came out of the mouth of EA's COO Peter Moore - himself. ( I actually saw the live interview on Spike TV but here is a written interview made around that same time as well with Peter. He said pretty much the same thing in both interviews.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ea.game.simcitymobile_row&hl=en

EAs Coo - Peter Moore:

Finally - I see Frostbite is now the official EA game engine - and now - believe me I dream of a Sims game on Frostbite... That happens and we will see the best Sims game ever - at least I sure hope so. That is one righteous game engine there - and things dreams are made of for some of us gamers....

Oh yes - almost forgot - want to read and see how Maxis decides things and does things - see for your self - complete with pictures.

Sure enough will :)

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    @Writin_Reg You are talking about mobile versions of TS3 and claims that only Maxis makes Sims games. Didn't you read what I wrote and don't you know that Maxis has nothing to do with the Sims Freeplay?

EA and Maxis didn't only make one mobile TS3 game. They actually made 4 such games:
    1. The Sims 3.
    2. The Sims 3 Ambitions.
    3. The Sims 3 World Adventures
    4. The Sims Medieval.

But they were all made a long time ago before the Sims 4 even existed. For consoles EA had two Sims 3 games:
    1. The Sims 3
    2. The Sims 3 Pets.

Some of those games can (like the PC versions of TS3) still be bought. But that doesn't change the fact that there still isn't even a single Sims 4 game neither for mobile devices nor for consoles and afaik EA hasn't any plans about releasing such games at all.

The Sims Freeplay isn't made by Maxis but by Firemonkeys in Australia where their game studio is. Firemonkeys is owned by EA just like Maxis is. But Firemonkeys also has their own support for the Sims Freeplay and EA's support in the US doesn't know anything to give help if people call them about problems with the Sims Freeplay. Therefore people instead have to contact the support from Firemonkeys online if they have problems with the Sims Freeplay.

So as it seems EA now has the Sims Freeplay which EA doesn't want to also have in PC versions or versions for consoles and EA has the Sims 4 which EA doesn't want to have in versions for mobile devices or consoles. The two games are developed by two different EA studios on two different continents. How does that fit with the idea that EA wants to only develop multiplatform games and to have the same Sims games on all platforms???
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

EAs Coo - Peter Moore:

Below is an article about why I have high hopes our Sims 5 might be riding this game engine. So hope it does - There will be no more can't do that in the Sims kind of thng we keep seeing in Sims 4 -

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/from-battlefield-to-fifa-here-s-what-ea-s-frostbite-revolution-means-for-you-1323291

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

EAs Coo - Peter Moore:

Below is an article about why I have high hopes our Sims 5 might be riding this game engine. So hope it does - There will be no more can't do that in the Sims kind of thng we keep seeing in Sims 4 -

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/from-battlefield-to-fifa-here-s-what-ea-s-frostbite-revolution-means-for-you-1323291
    The following from your link about Frostbite doesn't promise well for the Sims 5:

"Using a single graphics engine for all of its games will not be easy considering EA is involved with genres as diverse as sports games, shooters and racers, but what we've seen so far suggests that the initiative"

Does that mean that Frostbite won't be used at all for the Sims games? Or did EA just forget them?
  • Options

EAs Coo - Peter Moore:

I have now had the time needed to study your links. But I still can't agree with your conclusions for the following reasons:
    1. Frostbite is a tool made for games like Battlefield and Need For Speed. See http://www.frostbite.com/about/this-is-frostbite/ But they are action games and the Sims games certainly aren't. Nothing points in the direction that Frostbite in the next couple of years will be expanded in a way that make it usually for games like the Sims games too.
    2. RF and EA's COO of course won't tell us that "EA decides everything and the game studios only obey EA's orders" because RF would then probably be fired and the COO would be accused of arrogance and get into serious problems too. But other sources show that EA usually has forced their game developers to take a lot of unpaid overtime to things done quicker, cheaper and more efficiently. Leaders usually want to make the decisions but at the same time attempt to get the employees think that it only are ides from the employees that matter even though this rarely is the truth.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    OP, your two posts in this thread so far are so on point! Good job coming up with a concrete example of shallow gameplay and missed opportunity in TS4. I'm going to remember the maze example in future discussions about "shallow gameplay".
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    Thank you, OP, for a great post. You have put your finger on something that has been bothering me for a long time.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Erpe said - @Writin_Reg You are talking about mobile versions of TS3 and claims that only Maxis makes Sims games. Didn't you read what I wrote and don't you know that Maxis has nothing to do with the Sims Freeplay?

unquote -

No, I did not say that at all. Read what I said again. Can't help it if that is how you interpreted what I actually said. That's on you. I am well aware Maxis does not handle any of the mobile Sims games. It's rather common knowledge.

And Please do not give me a list of who makes what at, or for EA - I am well versed on what is made, where, for EA for the last 20 plus years . I was with EA well before even Maxis was.

And again - your quote - "2. RF and EA's COO of course won't tell us that "EA decides everything and the game studios only obey EA's orders" because RF would then probably be fired and the COO would be accused of arrogance and get into serious problems too. But other sources show that EA usually has forced their game developers to take a lot of unpaid overtime to things done quicker, cheaper and more efficiently. Leaders usually want to make the decisions but at the same time attempt to get the employees think that it only are ides from the employees that matter even though this rarely is the truth. "

unquote - First of all - where have YOU been? Rachel is very much gone - no longer at Maxis or EA. She moved on to other horizons. That was even announced in the forum. How were you unaware of that? So basically RF no longer matters anyway as far as Maxis and the Sims go. Mute point.

Second of all - the monarchy does not exist in the USA and the last I knew slavery is against the law - so that leaves what? I assure you there is no such thing as unpaid overtime in any industry in the USA for US citizens anyway - it is against the law - just as slavery is against the law. All personnel get paid for the jobs they do according to their contracts. Technically none of that is any of our business anyway - now is it? But Yes, many years ago there was an issue with overtime long since solved - you really need to read all that ancient history much more thoroughly - but also make sure you read the outcome of all that and the numerous changes and EA restructuring done so very long ago to rectify all that really old news that no longer exists. It had nothing to do with Maxis or the Sims period, so what is the point in bringing all that old stuff up in this forum. Believe me - you make industry sound like big powerful butchers and tyrants who can run around inflicting insanity all over the place. Trust me - not remotely scary in the least. EA happens to be the best place to work voted by it's employees as such for the last several years - do you think they would have that kind of long running position for not good reason if they were remotely like you suggest? That by the way has NOTHING to do with consumers rating it the worse company for customer service several years ago for 2 years running - which EA is doing their best - or claim to with their customer first promises to eradicate that as well. (Also if one has a contract there is no such thing as overtime to start with. You are paid according to your contract regardless of hour - whether it is 1 hour or 20 hours. Devs usually have contracts - not hourly employees so there is no overtime - per sec -.)

Peter Moore has been saying what he thinks for a very long time and needless to say that will never change. In fact he IS an EA BOSS ( and a stock holder)- keep that in mind and actually since that interview went higher up the totem pole at EA even as he was then the COO and is now the CCO. I actually like Peter Moores frankness - even though I admit he doesn't really know a whole lot about the Sims but is very knowledgeable in other EA games though.

But anyway - what does all this have to do with the state of Sims 4?
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    cracklenesscrackleness Posts: 72 Member
    Agreed.

1A6SAWv_zps5a7ea4d6.gif

• Options
    Erpe said - @Writin_Reg You are talking about mobile versions of TS3 and claims that only Maxis makes Sims games. Didn't you read what I wrote and don't you know that Maxis has nothing to do with the Sims Freeplay?

unquote -

No, I did not say that at all. Read what I said again. Can't help it if that is how you interpreted what I actually said. That's on you. I am well aware Maxis does not handle any of the mobile Sims games. It's rather common knowledge.

And Please do not give me a list of who makes what at, or for EA - I am well versed on what is made, where, for EA for the last 20 plus years . I was with EA well before even Maxis was.

And again - your quote - "2. RF and EA's COO of course won't tell us that "EA decides everything and the game studios only obey EA's orders" because RF would then probably be fired and the COO would be accused of arrogance and get into serious problems too. But other sources show that EA usually has forced their game developers to take a lot of unpaid overtime to things done quicker, cheaper and more efficiently. Leaders usually want to make the decisions but at the same time attempt to get the employees think that it only are ides from the employees that matter even though this rarely is the truth. "

unquote - First of all - where have YOU been? Rachel is very much gone - no longer at Maxis or EA. She moved on to other horizons. That was even announced in the forum. How were you unaware of that? So basically RF no longer matters anyway as far as Maxis and the Sims go. Mute point.

Second of all - the monarchy does not exist in the USA and the last I knew slavery is against the law - so that leaves what? I assure you there is no such thing as unpaid overtime in any industry in the USA for US citizens anyway - it is against the law - just as slavery is against the law. All personnel get paid for the jobs they do according to their contracts. Technically none of that is any of our business anyway - now is it? But Yes, many years ago there was an issue with overtime long since solved - you really need to read all that ancient history much more thoroughly - but also make sure you read the outcome of all that and the numerous changes and EA restructuring done so very long ago to rectify all that really old news that no longer exists. It had nothing to do with Maxis or the Sims period, so what is the point in bringing all that old stuff up in this forum. Believe me - you make industry sound like big powerful butchers and tyrants who can run around inflicting insanity all over the place. Trust me - not remotely scary in the least. EA happens to be the best place to work voted by it's employees as such for the last several years - do you think they would have that kind of long running position for not good reason if they were remotely like you suggest? That by the way has NOTHING to do with consumers rating it the worse company for customer service several years ago for 2 years running - which EA is doing their best - or claim to with their customer first promises to eradicate that as well. (Also if one has a contract there is no such thing as overtime to start with. You are paid according to your contract regardless of hour - whether it is 1 hour or 20 hours. Devs usually have contracts - not hourly employees so there is no overtime - per sec -.)

Peter Moore has been saying what he thinks for a very long time and needless to say that will never change. In fact he IS an EA BOSS ( and a stock holder)- keep that in mind and actually since that interview went higher up the totem pole at EA even as he was then the COO and is now the CCO. I actually like Peter Moores frankness - even though I admit he doesn't really know a whole lot about the Sims but is very knowledgeable in other EA games though.

But anyway - what does all this have to do with the state of Sims 4?
    You refuse to read what I really wrote. If I should refer to your writing in the same way I would ask you why you don't know that the Sims 4 basegame was developed while RF still was head of the development ream???

And then you tell me that Maxis didn't make mobile Sims games. But then I could also claim that the following expansions weren't made by Maxis but instead by EA Salt Lake:
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Supernatural
    Sims 3 University Life
    Sims 3 Into the Future

So it is all about EA's internal structure. Firemonkeys made the Sims Freeplay but they didn't make any of the three mobile Sims 3 games or the mobile version of the Sims Medieval because those four mobile games were all made by EA Mobile. But EA Salt Lake who made the mentioned Sims 3 expansions for Windows actually also made Sims 2 Pets for Wii and Sims 3 Pets for DS.

But back to TS4. What RF has to do with TS4?? You should know that she was the head of the development team for TS4 until she left EA ;)
  • Options
    GardeningGardening Posts: 207 Member
    Im not going to lie but the worlds are too small and not detailed enough to be an open world.
  • Options
    VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    @Writin_Reg
    If the quote button doesn’t work for you, try to type the BBCode manually – [quote=username]quoted text[/quote] – maybe it will work that way :)
    Note: actually type them, don’t copy them from my post – I used zero width space to leave them unparsed.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile