Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

LGR Refuses EA Invitation

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited September 2016
    @Ifreshyeh wrote: »
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    I must ask this- Has Anyone only bought a pack because he liked it? O.o Really?

I really take his review into account before buying but that could be said about any reviewer?

Okay. :)
    I like his reviews because I like how he played them out in TS3 but no review has made *me want buy a pack. Not meaning just his but EA's and Any of the fansites. :)
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    crinrict wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    AND I remember how so many people here were upset that he wasn't invited by EA because his fans believed he would give an "Honest" review but now that he is invited it's seen as if EA is trying to buy his review? This idea so blows my mind.

*Yes, I am upset because you all put into question MY integrity. Well, pfft. I say.

Just remember that half the crowd has one opinion and the other half hold the opposing opinion. So just because people said one thing and are now saying the other doesn't mean it was all the same people.

I actually think it was good of him to refuse the expenses paid portion. He is highly influential and his opinions do make a huge difference. So that he acknowledges that is a positive for him and his brand. That's not to mean any disrespect toward you for going. It's just the choice he has made based on the publicity that it might cause in the event that people find out. Look at his 2 year review. When he said he had been receiving the stuff packs for review some simmers turned rabid saying his positive reviews were paid for. So I get where he is coming from.

But that's what's so wrong about it all.

I've been going to many events .. I've been getting preview codes. Not once have I been asked that I have to make a positive review to have all expenses paid.

My CM always asks me personally for my opinion after every event. What did I like, what did I not like. You don't have to send in your review in advance or anything and I've never ever been asked to change anything about them either.

So I'm with RFlong o this one. It's very hurtful to have to read that people that get invited to events are bias and bought.

I do not want to undermine LGR's decision and I respect that he decided it would be bad for him to go unless he can go on his own terms.. but I find it sad that he felt that way.

And I would almost go as far as to say: Even if he would paid on his own, he might still need to sign the NDA cause he will be about to see stuff before the public does.

Yep. And even then, people wouldn't trust him because he "sold out" to EA. So unfortunately, I think until LGR's fanbase becomes less suspicious of NDA's and having expenses paid, he won't ever be able to go to a Sims event to get info without getting called a sellout.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    @Ifreshyeh wrote: »

I really take his review into account before buying but that could be said about any reviewer?

Okay. :)
    I like his reviews because I like how he played them out in TS3 but no review has made *me want buy a pack. Not meaning just his but EA's and Any of the fansites. :)

Oh yeah I see what you're saying. The only review that made me want to buy a pack was his Dine Out review. I initially liked it a lot but I got my hopes up too quickly because soon after all the bugs came that were still not addressed in the latest patch.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Bought? Are you All Freaking Kidding me? I was not bought because I signed a nondisclosure. :lmao:

*No one in EA said I had to say Positive Comments about what I was shown nor did I have to Only Ever give them Good Reviews. I signed saying I wouldn't give My Comments or Views on what was shown until a certain time. Not that it HAD to be Wonderful Comments.

What is going on around here? O.o

I think LGR declined what was offered because I think things have changed since SimsCamp etc. It's just things we hear here and there. The new 'influencer' program EA has been using for it's MMORPGs for quite a long time has now come over to TS4 game? Please, SimGuruDrake don't bother with need to correct me. I think he wasn't happy with the Influencer program and didn't want to be a part of it.

It's not only the new way EA wants to reach players through influencer sites and individuals, but has many other responsibilities.

Oooh...Okay. :grimace: So they have a New Program. K... I'll be quiet and Sorry. :muchescookietokeepmymouthbusy:

I don't know, it sounds new. :D
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    AND I remember how so many people here were upset that he wasn't invited by EA because his fans believed he would give an "Honest" review but now that he is invited it's seen as if EA is trying to buy his review? This idea so blows my mind.

*Yes, I am upset because you all put into question MY integrity. Well, pfft. I say.

Just remember that half the crowd has one opinion and the other half hold the opposing opinion. So just because people said one thing and are now saying the other doesn't mean it was all the same people.

I actually think it was good of him to refuse the expenses paid portion. He is highly influential and his opinions do make a huge difference. So that he acknowledges that is a positive for him and his brand. That's not to mean any disrespect toward you for going. It's just the choice he has made based on the publicity that it might cause in the event that people find out. Look at his 2 year review. When he said he had been receiving the stuff packs for review some simmers turned rabid saying his positive reviews were paid for. So I get where he is coming from.

But that's what's so wrong about it all.

I've been going to many events .. I've been getting preview codes. Not once have I been asked that I have to make a positive review to have all expenses paid.

My CM always asks me personally for my opinion after every event. What did I like, what did I not like. You don't have to send in your review in advance or anything and I've never ever been asked to change anything about them either.

So I'm with RFlong o this one. It's very hurtful to have to read that people that get invited to events are bias and bought.

I do not want to undermine LGR's decision and I respect that he decided it would be bad for him to go unless he can go on his own terms.. but I find it sad that he felt that way.

And I would almost go as far as to say: Even if he would paid on his own, he might still need to sign the NDA cause he will be about to see stuff before the public does.

Yep. And even then, people wouldn't trust him because he "sold out" to EA. So unfortunately, I think until LGR's fanbase becomes less suspicious of NDA's and having expenses paid, he won't ever be able to go to a Sims event to get info without getting called a sellout.

That's what makes me so sad.

Oh well, I will continue to go to events and give you my opinion as it is and will do what I have done the past 7 years, even if some of you think I'm bought and biased these days.

Guess that's just something I have to live with.

I certainly don't think that. However, I think people don't understand EA moving to an influencer market as laid out by Peter Moore. Where the games are given to well known famous Youtubers instead of pressers. And by nature one would believe they may have to highlight the more positive things of a game than they would be allowed to dwell on the negative. But that is just human nature to think it may work that. Have no idea.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/279531/As_influencers_rise_Peter_Moore_foresees_a_game_industry_without_press_conferences.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)

Some think the YT might have to be a little more peppy than usual is what I see going on in the community.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Well I don't like Peter Moore's idea.
  • Options
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Well I don't like Peter Moore's idea.

This isn't exactly about games but explains how an 'influencer' outreach works in many businesses across the world.

http://racepointglobal.com/capability/fieldfacts-influencer-management-software/
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited September 2016
    I don't know about what is asked of the youtubers, I can just talk for the events I've been to.

There's so many aspect to this program(s) that there isn't simply one correct answer but I do think it would have been great if LGR could have gone to this event and not have to feel like the community would think he was bought.

I still don't think the NDA is about having to be positive. I don't know but I don't think so.

I read reviews in magazines when I was a child. That's what I I went by. All that has changed is the channel. Some felt they have to give good reviews to be included, others gave honest opinions. So you basically had to find out which reviewer fit your style .. that hasn't changed.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I will try to explain this using my line of work as an example. When I work with other companies, sometimes they offer to pay for certain expenses. Even though they are not bribing me and it isn't against company policy to refuse these things, I always do. For one, I do not want to get too friendly with clients and, two, I think that it can be misconstrued as a bribe in the event that business goes south. I do not want anyone to have the opportunity to slander my name or business.

And that's what I think LGR is doing. He is simply making a choice for his brand and name. He does not only review sims game, he reviews them all. So it is important for his brand that nothing be misconstrued.

This is nothing against those of you who are attending or have attended in the past. Heck, I would jump at the opportunity. But I am not LGR. He has to make a choice for his brand.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited September 2016
    Bought? Are you All Freaking Kidding me? I was not bought because I signed a nondisclosure. :lmao:

*No one in EA said I had to say Positive Comments about what I was shown nor did I have to Only Ever give them Good Reviews. I signed saying I wouldn't give My Comments or Views on what was shown until a certain time. Not that it HAD to be Wonderful Comments.

What is going on around here? O.o

thats a fair thiong for EA to ask

whats going on is we only know what we are told

still thinks it is great that people stand with their ideals even if it makes it ahrder to get things they want... nothing bad about going especially if thats all they ask you to sign.

that said some do let them self be bought... even if it is not in the print (don't think you do)
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    Oh yeah...and seriously, go read all the pre-TS4 reviews and news...those yibSims would not dare speak a negative word because your inclusion does seem dependent on what you say...or at least that's how it always came off. I remember those whole no toddlers thing and how all those sites tried to spin it positive. It's one thing to not have so much of a stake in it, but these influencers make their money from their preview information. They bicker with each other because someone is getting more views than them. They get angry when EA gives a newbie access to info when they feel that newbie hasn't had to work as hard as they have. They throw tantrums. All of this has played out in public on twitter and YouTube. This generation of "influencers" is pretty bad. Tis why I do not visit any fansites anymore. They cannot be trusted in the least.
  • Options

never
    some have been influented by his opinion, but that might as well be I bought it becouse he pointed out a feature he did not like... that I thoguht where interesting.
    and his never stand alone... but I find them funy and informativ...
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    But they pay us for a trip to go attend the event. Is it a bribe that I don't have to pay out of my own pocket to go to a different country to be able to see an EP in advance ? *)

There's many that could not attend if they would have to pay for their own trip.

It's not like we get anything on top of that (except a piece or two of merchandise). We have our EXPENSES paid to go there (and yes, that includes food and hotel if we need to stay overnight)

If I go to a client for my firm, I don't have to pay for that out of my own pocket. They pay for my train ride, if I have to go overnight, they also pay for that.

Sims might just be a hobby for most but it's still very time consuming and many have to take a day off their RL job to go. So what's so bad about EA paying for the trip ?

*) I should also add that every country works differently. There are people that have to pay out of their own pockets to go to events.
    Post edited by crinrict on
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    I must say: I would think it'd be Wonderful for him to take the invitation. As long as he doesn't have to sign anything agreeing to Only Give Good reviews/comments, I think he deserves to be invited and paid to go for how long he's been giving his reviews of The sims and how he didn't get invited to any before. He's fans should be happy for him- imoo.

I think he deserves this- if the agreement is fair review. I'm also sad that people think he would be bought out IF he did go. :(

he does deserves it

but I can see why he says no (do to fanebase), though for me have no reason to say no, with the things he have to promise being what you said.

wonder if he could simply post what the NDA say, and then people be ok... that is what many danish bloggers do if they given things to rewiuv
  • Options
    But they pay us for a trip to go attend the event. Is it a bribe that I don't have to pay out of my own pocket to go to a different country to be able to see an EP in advance ?

There's many that could not attend if they would have to pay for their own trip.

It's not like we get anything on top of that (except a piece or two of merchandise). We have our EXPENSES paid to go there.

If I go to a client for my firm, I don't have to pay for that out of my own pocket. They pay for my train ride, if I have to go overnight, they also pay for that.

Sims might just be a hobby for most but it's still very time consuming and many have to take a day off their RL job to go. So what's so bad about EA paying for the trip ?

nothing bad about EA paying as long as they don't expect positive rewiuv (that be written in the NDA or not) from people they invite.

but respect for people setting standards and sticking to them (also does going when EA invites and still speaking their own mind)
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Oh yeah...and seriously, go read all the pre-TS4 reviews and news...those yibSims would not dare speak a negative word because your inclusion does seem dependent on what you say...or at least that's how it always came off. I remember those whole no toddlers thing and how all those sites tried to spin it positive. It's one thing to not have so much of a stake in it, but these influencers make their money from their preview information. They bicker with each other because someone is getting more views than them. They get angry when EA gives a newbie access to info when they feel that newbie hasn't had to work as hard as they have. They throw tantrums. All of this has played out in public on twitter and YouTube. This generation of "influencers" is pretty bad. Tis why I do not visit any fansites anymore. They cannot be trusted in the least.

Both Rflong and I want to SimsCamp 2013 when the YibSims was the 'big' thing. And yes, I wrote a review. It's in my blog. Mind you, that was VERY early info and they didn't have much to show.

I didn't feel like I had to be positive back then and I still don't

AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    I use him for many games. His reviews are worthy and yes he has finalized a few do I buy or not for me. This is outside of the Sims. I believe what he does is for his viewers. Their thoughts of him mean something to him. This matters to me and it makes me trust his views more than fansites and ads. He is a YouTube reviewer. And for me I can see what he is talking about as he shows what he is talking about. I do trust his words. He is the only reviewer I turn to now to get an unbiased opinion when I see a game I am interested in. I read also the typed reviews and the discussions, then go to his reviews.
  • Options
    @Mstybl95 wrote: »

Excuse me? I don't have to read it, I was there. I know I wasn't a Yibsib and was invited after everyone else but still, I Always get lumped in and I resent a lot of these Blanket points of view.

I loved CAS and some things in Build mode; I didn't understand the game and that is what I said- I don't get the Playing with Emotions. We only say a clip (the same clip they released!) of TS4, they didn't answer any questions that weren't about what they showed us. So, yes- we got the "We Hear You" and "We're Listening" with our feedback but nothing more.

Not All who go have/had Fansites, not All who go are/were unhappy with the game- believe it or not- that would make what they said true.

EA spun the whole Toddler thing. We reported what we were told and our Opinions on it. :sigh:

I'm pretty sure I was specific in my wording, "yibSims, they, twitter and YouTube". I did not mention you or anyone else by name. If you know you were not part of those people, then you would know I was not talking about you. What you are doing is projecting what you think others feel about you onto what I said. I have given my valid points of view on the matter. I have said several times that it shouldn't matter what people think of you. I hold no resentment towards you. But I am entitled to my opinion on why *I* think LGR refused by using examples from my own life or past experiences.
  • Options
    missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    I'm glad LGR made that decision.
    He's always been open and honest about his opinions and concerns for TS
    Right on LGR!
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited September 2016
    @Mstybl95 wrote: »

Excuse me? I don't have to read it, I was there. I know I wasn't a Yibsib and was invited after everyone else but still, I Always get lumped in and I resent a lot of these Blanket points of view.

I loved CAS and some things in Build mode; I didn't understand the game and that is what I said- I don't get the Playing with Emotions. We only say a clip (the same clip they released!) of TS4, they didn't answer any questions that weren't about what they showed us. So, yes- we got the "We Hear You" and "We're Listening" with our feedback but nothing more.

Not All who go have/had Fansites, not All who go are/were unhappy with the game- believe it or not- that would make what they said true.

EA spun the whole Toddler thing. We reported what we were told and our Opinions on it. :sigh:

I'm pretty sure I was specific in my wording, "yibSims, they, twitter and YouTube". I did not mention you or anyone else by name. If you know you were not part of those people, then you would know I was not talking about you. What you are doing is projecting what you think others feel about you onto what I said. I have given my valid points of view on the matter. I have said several times that it shouldn't matter what people think of you. I hold no resentment towards you. But I am entitled to my opinion on why *I* think LGR refused by using examples from my own life or past experiences.

No, just no... but I am projecting from My Life Experiences with this whole Yibsim stuff and how it Blankets everyone- yes, even me and anyone else who does hold to their integrity. Just because they might give good reviews it can't be seen as they enjoy the game? :lol:

*I now feel sorry for him. To be worried about what fans say because they might believe he's taken a Free Trip which means he's sold out to EA. To me that shows on the people who feel that way. They've trusted him for this long and yet- Poof, he's a bad guy? Incredible.