Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Rachel Franklin is leaving The Sims 4.

Comments

• Options
    claudiamarie1964claudiamarie1964 Posts: 25 Member
    I agree. This doesn't sit right with me as I have a feeling more mobile and social based play will be pushed onto us in the future.

I actually wouldn't mind having my full Sims game on my tablet. Some of my iPad's specs are superior to my old gaming rig at home, but alas it lacks a fan and sufficient storage. I'm not sure how playing TS4 is working for people using a Surface; I would imagine that even with the i7 Surfaces, cooling has to be an issue with graphics-intense games. But I'm sure the tech will exist someday. And when it does, I'm on board with playing mobile. After all, I have my iPad with me always; not so my desktop (lol). Even laptops are limited for truly mobile gaming due to battery life when they're not plugged in.

I'm with you, though, about the social play. Also, I don't want my game dumbed down in any way or to play like Sims FreePlay. But, yeah, the ability to play Civ VI (due out next month) and a full, truly immersive Sims game on a tablet would be the bee's knees for the two hours of commuting on a van pool. I have no doubt the tech will get there - I just hope it happens before I retire. ;-)

• Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited September 2016
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I don't know why they don't treat the modding community with more respect. They're literally the ones that keep the community alive and active. For real...go look around for TS2 CC...there isn't anything you can't find for it. People are still creating for it. And with CC and mods, the game can look quite modern. It's timeless. Why wouldn't they want that for all of their games?

I feel they are treating modders with respect - more so now than ever, with an entire forum section for them and a couple of gurus who have taken it on to answer questions about the data formats etc. This is more support than we have ever had in a previous sims game

Yet modders are quiting this game in droves. How many of the good mods out there are no longer supported. Yes, they said they were making this game mod friendly and have created a support board, but their update schedule and lack of features to work with makes the effort not worth it.

Didnt you visit MATY and say this game just isn't going to happen? I haven't been to your forum lately, but I don't recall seeing much activity there for TS4. I know there is none on any of the old popular modding sites.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited September 2016
    I agree. This doesn't sit right with me as I have a feeling more mobile and social based play will be pushed onto us in the future.

I actually wouldn't mind having my full Sims game on my tablet. Some of my iPad's specs are superior to my old gaming rig at home, but alas it lacks a fan and sufficient storage. I'm not sure how playing TS4 is working for people using a Surface; I would imagine that even with the i7 Surfaces, cooling has to be an issue with graphics-intense games. But I'm sure the tech will exist someday. And when it does, I'm on board with playing mobile. After all, I have my iPad with me always; not so my desktop (lol). Even laptops are limited for truly mobile gaming due to battery life when they're not plugged in.

I'm with you, though, about the social play. Also, I don't want my game dumbed down in any way or to play like Sims FreePlay. But, yeah, the ability to play Civ VI (due out next month) and a full, truly immersive Sims game on a tablet would be the bee's knees for the two hours of commuting on a van pool. I have no doubt the tech will get there - I just hope it happens before I retire. ;-)

I have an i7 and I use 4 standard cooling fans for the case and I have an 850 Thermaltke power supply and it does get a little above my comfort zone of warm, when I play too long. I also have a water cooling system for my CPU so it should be adequate.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    I don't know why they don't treat the modding community with more respect. They're literally the ones that keep the community alive and active. For real...go look around for TS2 CC...there isn't anything you can't find for it. People are still creating for it. And with CC and mods, the game can look quite modern. It's timeless. Why wouldn't they want that for all of their games?

I feel they are treating modders with respect - more so now than ever, with an entire forum section for them and a couple of gurus who have taken it on to answer questions about the data formats etc. This is more support than we have ever had in a previous sims game

Yet modders are quiting this game in droves. How many of the good mods out there are no longer supported. Yes, they said they were making this game mod friendly and have created a support board, but their update schedule and lack of features to work with makes the effort not worth it.

Didnt you visit MATY and say this game just isn't going to happen? I haven't been to your forum lately, but I don't recall seeing much activity there for TS4. I know there is none on any of the old popular modding sites.

I have made some mods but so far just for my own use I have not uploaded them. I don't want to commit to updating them monthly which I will feel obliged to do once I share them. TS4 makes it far harder to do the type of modding I usually like to do, although it seems to have facilitated people who make tuning mods, and new foods and skills etc. "more of the same" is easier now, but doing something completely new is harder than before. That may be why modders are leaving, nothing to do with neglect or disrespect from the gurus who are actually going out of their way to help. And it's needed too!
  • Options
    Going off of some of the interviews i have read online i'm thinking its a very good thing. Who in their right mind thinks fans dont want toddlers. Alot of people seem to have left in the last year! That is very worrying!! I wont say anything else as i dont want it to sound like im being rude.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm a diehard fan who has been indifferent to the toddlers ever since their introduction in TS2. The decision to exclude them from this iteration was apparently the result of telemetry. I have no idea what percentage of avid Sims players frequent and post on this forum, but perhaps the percentage is small or no more than 50%? Again, I don't know the numbers. The family players have been vocal, true, but the money made is what influences company decisions.

• Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Rachel left, huh?! Hopefully this won't affect the direction TS4 has been going (although, the focus on family play was kind of annoying, to be honest).
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    I have nothing personal against Rachel Franklin and wish her the best in her next job. However this change was absolutely necessary, the people responsible for making Sims 4 and to an extent SimCIty 2013 (Bradshaw) had to be removed before they could destroy Maxis entirely. If Rachel Franklin had stayed, I would have had much less confidence that Sims 5 would be the worthy successor to Sims 2/3 that we all expected Sims 4 to be. The buck has to stop somewhere. The people who made all those bad decisions have to be held responsible, and new people need to be given a chance to move the series in the right direction. This is the best news we've had in a long while.

@SimGuruDrake stated several times that Rachel 100% left of her own volition. I don't think Drake would protest so much if Rachel had been fired. We need to stop assuming this decision was made by the powers-that-be and accept that Rachel simply found a better offer. In which case, good for her for finding a more attractive opportunity. If we don't accept it, some of us may be in for disappointment when the game's direction doesn't change for a couple of years. Remember that SimGuruDrake told us plans for the game are set pretty much in stone far in advance. Rachel tried something new, had a different vision for this game. It turned out that many people vocal in Sims community aren't happy with that vision or the exclusion of certain features from the game. But if she hadn't forged on anyway, the company wouldn't be aware of it. They had to figure it out somehow.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

I have made some mods but so far just for my own use I have not uploaded them. I don't want to commit to updating them monthly which I will feel obliged to do once I share them. TS4 makes it far harder to do the type of modding I usually like to do, although it seems to have facilitated people who make tuning mods, and new foods and skills etc. "more of the same" is easier now, but doing something completely new is harder than before. That may be why modders are leaving, nothing to do with neglect or disrespect from the gurus who are actually going out of their way to help. And it's needed too!

But tuning mods and food don't make the game much more fun than it is. In order for this game to succeed long term, they need the big mods that could change the game, that could personalize it.

By treating the modding community with respect, I meant official tools. It would make it easier for modders to update with the release schedule, especially if they had early access to the code. I mean...TS2 still has a thriving community and it's 11 years old. Not only because the game is that awesome, it's also very customizable.
  • Options
    mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
    I truly wish Ms. Franklin the best of luck in all her future endeavors. She is clearly a woman who has a lot of vision and motivation to bring to the gaming world. Unfortunately, I have never and will never believe she was the right fit for leading The Sims series. Her leadership of the fourth installment has led the community into turmoil more often than not, and I can't consider that to be a good thing.

With that said, I so hope that whoever earns her position next will be more inclined to address the long held issues many consumers have had since launch. I very much hope that the progression of the series is not "set in stone" according to her vision, and that changes can be made accordingly. I'd like to see someone who is as in love with this game series as well all are at the helm, which is something I felt that she lacked. She always stuck me as all business about The Sims, which I can understand from a company stand point, however it has not served the community overall very well. A balance of business and passion is needed for this series, and with any luck, the new head of Maxis will be able to strike that balance with more success than their predecessor.
  • Options
    YungGigi wrote: »
    Shouldn't this thread be moved to off topic or something? Clearly this person whoever they are leaving whatever job they were doing is not going to affect how The Sims games run. This was already stated. So can we move this thread? Thanks

This woman was instrumental in determining the direction of TS4 as we experience it now and how we will continue to experience it for probably a few packs down the line. I'd say it's pretty on topic.
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    GREAT! Only a few years too late if you ask me. Ts4 is already ruined.
  • Options
    teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    I have some important news to share with you all today. It’s never easy to say goodbye but today, we wish a fond farewell to our friend and colleague Rachel Franklin. She has decided to leave Maxis to explore new opportunities. We're going to miss her creative spark, her infectious enthusiasm, and the passion that she brought to the studio every day. I can definitely say I’m excited to see what she does next and will be cheering her on!

Rachel leaves Maxis stronger than ever. We’re all so excited by the incredible passion we see from you in The Sims 4 nearly two years after we first released the game. We’ve proven to you our commitment to regularly providing new experiences, like the recent Dining Out Game Pack and expansion to Create A Sim, and that won't change. We've got lots more planned for the months and years ahead that we can't wait to share with you.

We have a strong leadership team in place at Maxis and we're focused on one thing: delivering great things to you, our players. We're looking to fill Rachel's shoes, but in the meantime myself and all the other SimGurus will continue to connect with you and share our enthusiasm for the game and new things to come.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/899258/maxis-organizational-update#latest

What do you think?

I think this might be a good thing for the franchise. I hope they will find someone worthy enough to lead this game, since this game needs strong leadership and a CLEAR open vision.

Make the Sims great again!

That actually gives me a lot of hope:)))) I wish Rachel all the best and I do hope the person who will replace her will make sims 4 one of the best games:)))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    edited September 2016
    A random question for all you simmers that are far more knowledgable about gaming world and/or EA...

Does EA already pretty much have all the expansions designed from get-go, or do they actually design and build as they go?

I know that the sequel version to a game is started years before the base game is initially released, so I would have to assume that they know exactly (or marginally close to exactly) what and when all the expansion content will be released. Or do they design as they go, based on player feedback, game ratings, and technology performance?

I guess I'm just trying to determine if we are already locked into all the decisions for the future of Sims 4, regardless of the change in management?!?!
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    A random question for all you simmers that are far more knowledgable about gaming world and/or EA...

Does EA already pretty much have all the expansions designed from get-go, or do they actually design and build as they go?

I know that the sequel version to a game is started years before the base game is initially released, so I would have to assume that they know exactly (or marginally close to exactly) what and when all the expansion content will be released. Or do they design as they go, based on player feedback, game ratings, and technology performance?

I guess I'm just trying to determine if we are already locked into all the decisions for the future of Sims 4, regardless of the change in management?!?!

From SimGuruDrake said in the LGR thread in video haven

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15188537/#Comment_15188537
    Happy to help clarify :)

We essentially have a general roadmap of what type of content we'd like to hit around a certain month / quarter. We have an idea of what the theme of that pack content will be but it's never set in stone until we get to the actual start of the theme selection of the pack (which includes researching and brainstorming of the possible content themes for a pack). I don't have a hand in any of that process outside of asking about what the options are when talking to the producers for that specific pack so I can't really speak to much more than my general understanding. Also yes they do look at ideas / feedback you give here in the forums and other places as well. Graham or someone else might have to come in to do a deeper dive on how theme selection and stuff works though (he is really good at talking about the development process.)
  • Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    @Arletta Thank you :) That's kind of the response that I was expecting to hear!
  • Options
    Going off of some of the interviews i have read online i'm thinking its a very good thing. Who in their right mind thinks fans dont want toddlers. Alot of people seem to have left in the last year! That is very worrying!! I wont say anything else as i dont want it to sound like im being rude.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm a diehard fan who has been indifferent to the toddlers ever since their introduction in TS2. The decision to exclude them from this iteration was apparently the result of telemetry. I have no idea what percentage of avid Sims players frequent and post on this forum, but perhaps the percentage is small or no more than 50%? Again, I don't know the numbers. The family players have been vocal, true, but the money made is what influences company decisions.

I feel the same as you do I am indifferent to them and would like a choice if I play them or not. The game has made them money without toddlers, CAW and a better CAS. They are making money. The sims 3 to me was a cash cow, the store and all the ep's and sp's were really raking in the dough for them and still the sims 4 is selling well without all that glitter.
  • Options

Arletta is a sweetheart, she gets to the heart of the matter Hi Arletta!
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »

Arletta is a sweetheart, she gets to the heart of the matter Hi Arletta!

Hi, Jimmysnan :) Thank you.

• Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    Even though I disliked what she did to the game, I wish her luck in her future endeavors.
  • Options
    SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    mmt3363 wrote: »
    I truly wish Ms. Franklin the best of luck in all her future endeavors. She is clearly a woman who has a lot of vision and motivation to bring to the gaming world. Unfortunately, I have never and will never believe she was the right fit for leading The Sims series. Her leadership of the fourth installment has led the community into turmoil more often than not, and I can't consider that to be a good thing.

With that said, I so hope that whoever earns her position next will be more inclined to address the long held issues many consumers have had since launch. I very much hope that the progression of the series is not "set in stone" according to her vision, and that changes can be made accordingly. I'd like to see someone who is as in love with this game series as well all are at the helm, which is something I felt that she lacked. She always stuck me as all business about The Sims, which I can understand from a company stand point, however it has not served the community overall very well. A balance of business and passion is needed for this series, and with any luck, the new head of Maxis will be able to strike that balance with more success than their predecessor.

I've answered this in another thread so I will quote myself here:
    We essentially have a general roadmap of what type of content we'd like to hit around a certain month / quarter. We have an idea of what the theme of that pack content will be but it's never set in stone until we get to the actual start of the theme selection of the pack (which includes researching and brainstorming of the possible content themes for a pack). I don't have a hand in any of that process outside of asking about what the options are when talking to the producers for that specific pack so I can't really speak to much more than my general understanding. Also yes they do look at ideas / feedback you give here in the forums and other places as well. Graham or someone else might have to come in to do a deeper dive on how theme selection and stuff works though (he is really good at talking about the development process.)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    edited September 2016

Roaring Heights is a perfect example of this. All the feedback and loud requests for a similar high-rise world style, the design theme and carnival gameplay were combined to give a big send-off to the series and a thank you to long-term players/investors. That release was jam-packed with as many elements the developers could aggregate from various requests and all wrapped up in a particularly cool package.

I think some people may lose sight of the time needed to organise a release from beginning to end, or not have a particularly deep understanding of a development cycle. Maybe a blog piece/retrospective on past content by a seasoned developer would help to give that perspective to some players? It'd be an interesting read and a nice historical one at that.
    Post edited by MrHawk on
  • Options
    shaposh2012shaposh2012 Posts: 760 Member
    I wish Rachel Franklin well as she moves on to other adventures.

For me, I don't think this change will shift what makes the game fundamentally broken for me. The chaotic, but easy to manipulate emotions, linear gameplay-style and limited individuality aren't going to change. I wish that I could have hope for a Sims 5, but I don't know if there's anyone at Maxis who really understands what makes The Sims, The Sims.
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    What do you think?

I think this might be a good thing for the franchise. I hope they will find someone worthy enough to lead this game, since this game needs strong leadership and a CLEAR open vision.

I think that the community managers should never have tolerated the community-wide defamation and daily abuse from users in response to false assertions regarding the quality and capabilities of the product, the competence of EA's leadership, and the intentions or intelligence of the developers.

It's more likely that we've lost The Sims.

If we have lost the sims, it's not because of the community. It starts and the top. Seeing how the top is moving on after not being at the top for very long, I can reading the writing on the wall. A relative of mine who is in the gaming industry, gave me some interesting incite on the announcement. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

I don't really see any vast changes in this version of the sims going forward. Up until now, the sims was dead to me. Maybe now I can follow a little more closely.
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    mmoblitz wrote: »
    What do you think?

I think that the community managers should never have tolerated the community-wide defamation and daily abuse from users in response to false assertions regarding the quality and capabilities of the product, the competence of EA's leadership, and the intentions or intelligence of the developers.

It's more likely that we've lost The Sims.

If we have lost the sims, it's not because of the community. It starts and the top. Seeing how the top is moving on after not being at the top for very long, I can reading the writing on the wall. A relative of mine who is in the gaming industry, gave me some interesting incite on the announcement. It will be interesting to see what the future holds.

I don't really see any vast changes in this version of the sims going forward. Up until now, the sims was dead to me. Maybe now I can follow a little more closely.

Please share with me! I wanna know, inbox me!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2016
    MrHawk wrote: »

Roaring Heights is a perfect example of this. All the feedback and loud requests for a similar high-rise world style, the design theme and carnival gameplay were combined to give a big send-off to the series and a thank you to long-term players/investors. That release was jam-packed with as many elements the developers could aggregate from various requests and all wrapped up in a particularly cool package.

I think some people may lose sight of the time needed to organise a release from beginning to end, or not have a particularly deep understanding of a development cycle. Maybe a blog piece/retrospective on past content by a seasoned developer would help to give that perspective to some players? It'd be an interesting read and a nice historical one at that.

Then perhaps Mr. Hawk what the Sims 4 needs then is the Sims 3 store team making it to make our game play dreams come true and cram pack the eps with great stuff the simmers "have in their vision" - seeing it was often why we got the worlds and content was most asked for including that world you mentioned. Too bad most of those people are elsewhere now. Is there still hope? Right now I jump between hope and none. As I don't see a promise SO far that Sims 4 will ever measure up to what many players love about the Sims series and stayed so faithful to for 16 long years. Longer than a lot of marriages if you think about it and twice as long as the presidency of the USA can possibly be in office. Long time to be faithful and just have the rug pulled out from under you for being true blue.

Aw well great thoughts any way Mr. Hawk. Glad you can at least see some promise of this game. You made me smile anyway. Bless you for that. Some times living in and remembering the past is not a bad thing at all.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top