Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on what is left of The Sims 4 era?

1234568...Next

Comments

• Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    faytheful wrote: »
    I can't wait for it to be over. I hope EA stops playing social justice warrior, most of all.
    If anything, TS4's focus on partying, clubbing, barflies, casual WooHoo, and dude-bro "culture" is a celebration of toxic masculinity, and therefore anti-SJW.

and just think they're promoting all that behavior on teens. No teens its not good to do casual woo hoo with everyone you meet.
    It entangles your emotions & will have you all messed up especially if the relationship doesn't continue; opening you up for negative
    emotions from rejection or sadness, you won't be able to concentrate on school, you may get depressed and on & on it goes.
    The partying etc is okay to a degree, at appropriate times like weekends, because if you're not careful that could mess you up too. Moderation guys
    On top of that, the kids of today that they're trying to sell the game to (the last of the Millennials, and a new generation that has yet to have an agreed-on name after them) were raised with fewer freedoms than Generation X (the midlife adults, of age to be the suits in charge at EA and Maxis). These kids will see the partying and the casual WooHoo as self-destructive, and the dude-bro "culture" as barbaric.

It could be a parody, but it's beating a dead horse at this point.

I think the YA's of today are finding out the hard way all that stuff is not good for them; but they're YA's
    The teens are open to trying because that's what teens do, they like to explore. Nothing wrong with exploring but if you have to
    find out the hard way like I did about a few things it can make your life miserable.
  • Options
    deception122deception122 Posts: 5 New Member
    faytheful wrote: »
    I can't wait for it to be over. I hope EA stops playing social justice warrior, most of all.
    If anything, TS4's focus on partying, clubbing, barflies, casual WooHoo, and dude-bro "culture" is a celebration of toxic masculinity, and therefore anti-SJW.

and just think they're promoting all that behavior on teens. No teens its not good to do casual woo hoo with everyone you meet.
    It entangles your emotions & will have you all messed up especially if the relationship doesn't continue; opening you up for negative
    emotions from rejection or sadness, you won't be able to concentrate on school, you may get depressed and on & on it goes.
    The partying etc is okay to a degree, at appropriate times like weekends, because if you're not careful that could mess you up too. Moderation guys
    On top of that, the kids of today that they're trying to sell the game to (the last of the Millennials, and a new generation that has yet to have an agreed-on name after them) were raised with fewer freedoms than Generation X (the midlife adults, of age to be the suits in charge at EA and Maxis). These kids will see the partying and the casual WooHoo as self-destructive, and the dude-bro "culture" as barbaric.

It could be a parody, but it's beating a dead horse at this point.

Not fewer freedoms, more sense.
  • Options
    AtomicSimmerAtomicSimmer Posts: 1,133 Member
    Stick a fork in it its done. I don't expect that there will be a Sims 5 if were only 2 years into sims 4 and so little has changed.
    ATOMICSIMMER
    Sims Fanboy
    Play with Life
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    Stick a fork in it its done. I don't expect that there will be a Sims 5 if were only 2 years into sims 4 and so little has changed.

This community certainly is done but I'm sure that EA can sell the product regardless of how offended or disenchanted the veterans become. It's easier to follow trends than to support a community and we can clearly see that they have no interest in maintaining this one, especially after the comments about toxicity and moving on to other products.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

This community certainly is done but I'm sure that EA can sell the product regardless of how offended or disenchanted the veterans become. It's easier to follow trends than to support a community and we can clearly see that they have no interest in maintaining this one, especially after the comments about toxicity and moving on to other products.
    The short and fast way may seem the easy way, it can turn out to be the hard way in the end.
    (this is what I tell my children when they tend to take the easy fast way at school with their homework and so far I've been proven right :p )(is there a connection?; I think there is)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Unlike the general opinion, I'd be really upset if Sims 4 ended in two years. I absolutely enjoy the game, but I don't want a Sims 5 unless it's something REALLY special, If the models were like GTA or better, until they can successfully do something that realistic, there's no point. Sims 1/2/3/4 pretty much cover everyone's preferred style of gameplay and they can revert to whichever suits them. I want them to work on Sims 4 till its a completed, fleshed out game with many interesting expansions. I feel like in the two years it's been out, the game has barely come to life and we need to give it a chance. It's also not fair on players like myself who adore Sims 4 and aren't fans of Sims 3 that you're all dismissing the game and saying 'Forget it, get on with sims 5'. Finish the game, no matter how many extra years it takes.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Unlike the general opinion, I'd be really upset if Sims 4 ended in two years. I absolutely enjoy the game, but I don't want a Sims 5 unless it's something REALLY special, If the models were like GTA or better, until they can successfully do something that realistic, there's no point. Sims 1/2/3/4 pretty much cover everyone's preferred style of gameplay and they can revert to whichever suits them. I want them to work on Sims 4 till its a completed, fleshed out game with many interesting expansions. I feel like in the two years it's been out, the game has barely come to life and we need to give it a chance. It's also not fair on players like myself who adore Sims 4 and aren't fans of Sims 3 that you're all dismissing the game and saying 'Forget it, get on with sims 5'. Finish the game, no matter how many extra years it takes.
    You weren't thrilled when they announced Sims 3's successor then? When you heard the Sims 3 era would come to an end? The fact you say it barely has come to life should tell you something by the way, because I don't think there's one player that enjoyed Sims 3 who said that about the game at the same stage (they'd just released Generations I believe). Isn't that an ingredient here as well, regardless whether you enjoy the game or not? If it didn't come to life by now, when will it. How much other chances does the game deserve before you say 'ok, enough now, go work on something that's alive from the start'.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 269 Member
    edited September 2016
    Whatever you can read between the lines with this news article.

Supposedly the sims 5 is far off until they sell more sims 4 copies. Supposedly, the franchise is in jeopardy unless it brings in more sales, even though the sales are pretty good and better than previous iterations around this time. It sounds like they're whining to me.

There were also rumors that the sims team had already started work on the sims 5 earlier than usual, but I think they (The article writers) recanted that story.

Who knows what u can believe, really. Personally, I'd like the sims 5 ASAP.

And it looks like they're going to release a City expansion soon, if u believe the rumors. I don't know how much of it to trust.

http://neurogadget.net/2016/09/01/sims-5-will-not-released-soon-sims-4-might-get-new-dlc/38775
  • Options

Supposedly the sims 5 is far off until they sell more sims 4 copies. Supposedly, the franchise is in jeopardy unless it brings in more sales, even though the sales are pretty good and better than previous iterations around this time. It sounds like they're whining to me.

There were also rumors that the sims team had already started work on the sims 5 earlier than usual, but I think they (The article writers) recanted that story.

And it looks like they're going to release a City expansion soon, if u believe the rumors. I don't know how much of it to trust.

http://neurogadget.net/2016/09/01/sims-5-will-not-released-soon-sims-4-might-get-new-dlc/38775
    You have any information about sales?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Neurogadget is a notably unreliable source for Sims rumors. They've also posted console rumors for Sims 4 - even a release date rumor - that SimGuru Lindsay flat-out denied. FWIW, you can also ignore Christian Today, Lawyer Herald, Nude Gossip News, and the rest of the sites that post the same rumors... rumors not a single actual gaming or Sims site has.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Assuming it is like the predecessors, The Sims 4 has 2 years left of dedicated support/content (3 at most). With those 2 years passed by, any thoughts on how they dealt with patches and content, and the time they take to release each pack (mostly expansion packs, do you think we will have enough by the time The Sims 5 gets announced?)

ME:

I am speechless (in a bad way, if you can't tell)....2 years left and we only have 2 expansion packs? Patches only having such little content? (With a few exceptions). Stuff packs have been swarming and overtaking any other packs, which is accpetable, but not when we barely have any other packs. At this rate The Sims 4 will only have 5 expansion packs unless they release 3/4 per year. I don't know what to say really...

I disagreed with that last sentence there. Due to all the secrecy and the extended time it takes to make an expansion pack I say we will be dumbfounded with 144 stuff packs and two expansions and one more game pack.....thank goodness for those endless but frequent stuff packs otherwise we would just be getting dust!
  • Options
    AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    If EA carry on as they are, probably not much is left to some people. I hope they will open their eyes more and look at how much the game is lacking. Although I enjoy certain aspects, other aspects need to be adjusted. New expansion packs is a must and if silence on toddlers doesn't end, mayhem will occur.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    If EA carry on as they are, probably not much is left to some people. I hope they will open their eyes more and look at how much the game is lacking. Although I enjoy certain aspects, other aspects need to be adjusted. New expansion packs is a must and if silence on toddlers doesn't end, mayhem will occur.

That could be much worse than the outrage we see every day then? ;)

On a serious note though, I think the next EP could be a make or break for the game.

It could either make it more interesting, or break more features...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited September 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    TS2 and TS3 were aimed at a general audience, but TS4 is aimed hard at the teens. And they're going to have an increasingly harder time throughout TS4's run.

Selling shallow games to the youth worked when their parents didn't grow up with games, or who were old enough to see games as a mere diversion and fad that appeared to have died with the crash of '83. The parents of today's youth were themselves youth in the NES days and the 16-bit wars. They had higher expectations of games, which publishers frequently failed to meet. Having bought awful games as kids themselves, they're not about to let the likes of EA or Activision sell their kid a reeking plum.

On top of that, social media is no longer a novelty, and the dude-bro culture is rightfully being criticized. The upcoming batch of teens will groan at the selfie obsession and side-eye the dude-bro garbage.

Rumour has it that the 'bro culture' was a thing in the UK in the 90s.

You had the so called 'lad culture' which was all about beer, football and attractive woman. The female equivalent was the 'ladette' and this culture,nwhich was really more or less 'tounge in cheek' was at it's height in the 2000s.

Attitudes seemed to have changed and even 'social networking' is not as it was 10 years ago so it seems that the 'selfie culture' seems to have finally passed.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    edited September 2016
    Maxis needs to stop trying to reinvent their games. They tried with SimCity and ended up killing the entire franchise (SimCity build it is far from the traditional experience).

They did the same with The Sims 4 and so far have failed IMO. Sure they reinvented the game with a new look, but the underlying structure is a complete mess. The game was severely lacking at launch, and so far the only pack that's really expanded the game in a meaningful way was Spa Day. Expansion Packs do not expand the game - seriously. GTW was focused on the active careers (all gameplay for those is limited to those careers) and GT was focused on clubs that came with no new gameplay to actually show off the feature.

I honestly think the team is done with existing players. They know they have failed us, and for whatever reason instead of trying to fix that relationship they are throwing tons of energy and time into bringing onboard new players - many of whom are coming to the same conclusions as the disappointed players.

The only reason TS4 hasn't been cut entirely is because EA knows it can be very profitable. They know that at one point they had a really passionate, loyal fan base who would buy content with minimal questions asked. That probably played a major role in the terrible quality of the game at launch (and now), and I thoroughly do not believe the game is doing as well as they claim. There's no reason for the lack of development on the game, it was released two years ago. I assume they're scraping the bottom of the spare change jar because they clearly aren't bringing in big $ from their Stuff Packs.

This. They keep changing things that worked perfectly. It's like they want to boycott themselves.

The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • Options
    Does the target audience even know what an era is or why it would be of relevance to the evolution of the product? :D
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    TS2 and TS3 were aimed at a general audience, but TS4 is aimed hard at the teens. And they're going to have an increasingly harder time throughout TS4's run.

Selling shallow games to the youth worked when their parents didn't grow up with games, or who were old enough to see games as a mere diversion and fad that appeared to have died with the crash of '83. The parents of today's youth were themselves youth in the NES days and the 16-bit wars. They had higher expectations of games, which publishers frequently failed to meet. Having bought awful games as kids themselves, they're not about to let the likes of EA or Activision sell their kid a reeking plum.

On top of that, social media is no longer a novelty, and the dude-bro culture is rightfully being criticized. The upcoming batch of teens will groan at the selfie obsession and side-eye the dude-bro garbage.

Here's an interesting thought. When The Sims first came out, I felt it was a mediocre game. Way below my leauge. Too... I don't know...not a game? I even refused to buy it for my daughter on that merit. It wasn't a game. It was a thing—a gimmick. Then my sister went behind my back and bought her the game. I mocked them. After time, I played it and was addicted. This was not like anything I'd ever played before. It was addictive and fun. And. Oh. So. Unusual and neverending. It was so not like any game that ever existed before. There was no target audience. That may very well be what made it the cult classic it became. No one can re-create that. Trying is trying to hard. Back then, it was merely an idea that was built upon an idea; nothing more. Now, it's an idea that can be cashed in on. Disappointing.
    Does the target audience even know what an era is or why it would be of relevance to the evolution of the product? :D

That would depend on how conscious the target audience was.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    That would depend on how conscious the target audience was.

I believe that it would depend more on their (nurtured) intelligence level and professional experience therefore, if this product was intended for the 'younger demographic,' then discussion of era and legacy is pointless. Just ensure that it's fully functional and that they have access to competent customer service - in this case they have neither.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    If they really wanted to successfully target the GTA V generation then they'd raise the rating so they'd think the Sims was more edgy and interesting... and forbidden. Most teens don't want Teen ESRB rated games. At least the teens that I know.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2016

Well, not sure how it works in your family - but in my family and the families of many of my friends - if we "the Veterans of the Sims" get offended and cut off buying the game - no body in the family gets any more of that game - as generally for 1 - we are the ones who do almost ALL of the game buying seeing few of our teens have much disposable income to waste on games (if anything they use or save THEIR money for concerts, clothes shopping, and outings - never games no matter how bad they want them - as let's face it a 10 dollar allowance only buys so much) and number two - in my family the younger generations remarkably stand behind the older family members. It is amazing really - seeing my own generation we did nothing but rebel against our parents I am rather ashamed to admit, but the young of today seem very much in syncs with thoughts and ideas of their parents. Then there is number 3 - in my family Sims 4 has been very much abandoned by the ALL the youngsters - not just some of them, but all of our 20 and under group. They call it mindless and boring and "just sooo meh". So, so much for Maxis hoping to get the youngsters to jump on board the Sims train - they aren't falling for the Sims 4 at all. The few kids in my family still playing any Sims at all are buying (asking us actually to buy them) and playing Sims 3 - as they have been watching all us, veterans of the game, playing the games we went BACK to.

In total Between Sept. 2, 2014 and December 25, 2014 we had 32 simmers in this family and all 32 did jump on the Sims 4 train at some point during late 2014. As of the last pack release only 1 lone simmer out of our group of 32 family members is still playing and buying Sims 4. Co incidentally that one player still playing is very much a veteran and was the only other member of my family besides me that started with the sims testing the game for Will Wright in 1999. She is now 40, very much a veteran and not 12. (Her two teen daughters were one of the first to reject Sims 4).

To be fair, many of my family did hang in there through at least GT coming out before they too tossed in the towel. A couple even bought up to Dine Out. Maxis lost them when DO did not allow them to run restaurants like we had in Sims 2. That was their last straw. All of my family, even the youngsters go a bit insane when the lack of toddlers come up - yes even the 12 year olds - so it is even an issue with new simmers when they see older simmers playing their Sims 2 or 3 with toddlers. Horses, watercraft (mermaids), and supernaturals are also a big fav in the Sims games of all the newest simmers in my family - so naturally they are now asking for Sims 3 packs ONLY.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    If they really wanted to successfully target the GTA V generation then they'd raise the rating so they'd think the Sims was more edgy and interesting... and forbidden. Most teens don't want Teen ESRB rated games. At least the teens that I know.

I don't think their intention is to target the GTA generation. I'm not convinced 'target audience' refers to a generation in the sense of age. The rating is simply to set a suitable age to play. It more or less states the level of violence/aggression to safe for any age or those who take offence to every little thing. With the ratings aside, games are more genre-based and can appeal to any age range, really. My sister is well within her 50's and has played all the GTA games. She loves them. Her teen years are long gone. ;)
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

I don't think their intention is to target the GTA generation. I'm not convinced 'target audience' refers to a generation in the sense of age. The rating is simply to set a suitable age to play. It more or less states the level of violence/aggression to safe for any age or those who take offence to every little thing. With the ratings aside, games are more genre-based and can appeal to any age range, really. My sister is well within her 50's and has played all the GTA games. She loves them. Her teen years are long gone. ;)

Totally agree with this as my family has a lot of GTA, WOW, Fallout, and Final Fantasy players - all of which seem to fall into the 32 -44 age categories. At most it seems all our youngsters tend to join in with what ever the parents are playing - although I do have to admit many of the kids in the family get a kick out of some of the games I play - and I am well past their parents ages. Strangely my playing Fallout 4 in particulars seems to make me especially "righteous rad". LOL. Can't believe they still use that word (indicating ones coolness factor, not religion) anyway now a days....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....