Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on what is left of The Sims 4 era?

Comments

• Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited August 2016
    Just a couple of points, the 1.67 patch was still available here last time I looked, in game help I think. I've kept a copy of that on my PC as well in case I ever need to reinstall again and that patch disappears. Patch can e found in this thread: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/175477/official-ea-download-link-for-the-sims-3-cumulative-manual-update#latest

I use the TS3W.exe to launch the game without the launcher. I can still download store content, or at least I should say the last time I did (April, maybe?) it brought up the launcher when I hit the download button and i never had to change my shortcut that way. Or I can double-click the ITF icon (or your most recent EP) on my desktop and that brings up the launcher also. It's always possible that they've changed this as I'm sure they would dearly love to get everyone tied to Origin, but at least for me at that time it was not necessary to change my shortcut.

Last thing is that the 1.69 update is delivered through Origin only. It doesn't hurt to uncheck auto update on the launcher (I checked that option years ago) but this update (again, unless they've changed this) only happens through Origin so it's very important to disable all updates there. At least for now, I do have both TS3 and Origin installed on my notebook PC and haven't had any problems so far.

Oh, I thought of one more thing. Around the time they released Showtime, they came out with a new version of the base game that might require Origin. My memory is a little fuzzy on that but I'm thinking that anyone who has the newer version of the base game, even on disk, might be stuck with Origin. Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2016
    Just a couple of points, the 1.67 patch was still available here last time I looked, in game help I think. I've kept a copy of that on my PC as well in case I ever need to reinstall again and that patch disappears.

I use the TS3W.exe to launch the game without the launcher. I can still download store content, or at least I should say the last time I did (April, maybe?) it brought up the launcher when I hit the download button and i never had to change my shortcut that way. Or I can double-click the ITF icon (or your most recent EP) on my desktop and that brings up the launcher also. It's always possible that they've changed this as I'm sure they would dearly love to get everyone tied to Origin, but at least for me at that time it was not necessary to change my shortcut.

Last thing is that the 1.69 update is delivered through Origin only. It doesn't hurt to uncheck auto update on the launcher (I checked that option years ago) but the this update (again, unless they've changed this) only happens through Origin, so it's very important to disable all updates there. At least for now, I do have both TS3 and Origin installed on my notebook PC and haven't had any problems so far.

Yes. Good points. If you go through the web Store to get your content, it will open automatically. Just make sure you have TSW3 (or whatever that is?) always as your shortcut. Forgot about that tidbit. Store content still works regardless of what your shortcut is set to.

They didn't change the bit where you unchecked that option for the update. Remember. I am a newer player and I'm all up to date now. Everything is finally installed thanks to my impatience. The only instance where i didn't have the choice to update is when I went strictly through Origin. I was not happy in this instance. I uninstalled everything and went through my discs, which I stated were purchased shortly before Sims 4 was released.

Origin really isn't my issue per se. My real issue is the launcher that is forced upon you from 1.69. I like to play with CAW, and when I want to play a game, I simply just want to play it. I don't want to click on an icon and wait for a:
    1. Open Origin
    2. Wait for launcher to load, which I don't need.
    3. Launcher to wait for me to click on play?
    4. Then the game
    5. Then the intro which requires another click
    6. next step for that click
    7. Then my save?

Whatever happened to just opening the game?

Come on! I just want to play the fricken game I purchased. Is this really necessary?

No answer required. I'm not personally attacking you and I think you know that. It's just that this company... Seriously? This is an update?
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    IKR? :D

Not only everything you said, but this game is already starved for memory since its 32bit. As if all those thumbnails from the Store and memory pictures aren't bad enough (seriously people, turn off the in-game memories in TS3), having another program or two constantly running in the background is just not a good idea.

Anyway, what was this thread about again? Oh yeah, thoughts on the TS4 era. I'm really curious to see what they will come out with for the next EP, but I don't plan to touch it with a 10 foot pole. ;)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2016
    IKR? :D

Not only everything you said, but this game is already starved for memory since its 32bit. As if all those thumbnails from the Store and memory pictures aren't bad enough (seriously people, turn off the in-game memories in TS3), having another program or two constantly running in the background is just not a good idea.

Anyway, what was this thread about again? Oh yeah, thoughts on the TS4 era. I'm really curious to see what they will come out with for the next EP, but I don't plan to touch it with a 10 foot pole. ;)

Yeah. Agreed with everything. 64-bit would've been so much better for an update. I'm enjoying it quite a bit though, acutally. houseboats. I dream about them now. Just watching my sim use one is so relaxing, but yea. as for the future of S4? *scrunches face*

To put it bluntly: I just don't care.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »

But they did post how many copies where sold. Or did I imagine that? lol

Not that I've ever seen.

I must have imagined that then. Or maybe it wasn't units, but the over all number, like X amount sold during a certain time.

There's a certain poster or two on these forums who are constantly spouting speculation over sales as facts; maybe that's where you read "copies sold."

Possibly!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    @S100Headache, shhhhh, don't give EA any ideas. Then again, this could be their plan for Sims 5.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    What if the next step is to make TS4 free-to-play, just selling an unlock pack that enables mods/cheats/aging-off?

Many people do not like the Goal-Oriented Gameplay, the Level Grinding (starting from childhood with the Child Skills necessary to grind away so that teens aren't empty-headed and useless due to lack of skills), and the Time Management (making the game challenging by making simple and necessary actions take a long time). That's why so many players mod/cheat to skip these restrictions. EA could stand to make a lot of money by putting the game in players' hands for free and selling the mod/cheat enabler. All these enablers combined would add up to a full $20/$40/whatever game.

Giving away a restricted version of a product to get people to try it and hopefully like it enough to pay to lift the restrictions is a time-honored and fair business model. Admittedly, it's done more with productivity software than with games.

Do you mean like a mobile app? It already reminds me of one.
  • Options
  • Options
    deception122deception122 Posts: 5 New Member
    I can't wait for it to be over. I hope EA stops playing social justice warrior, most of all.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I can't wait for it to be over. I hope EA stops playing social justice warrior, most of all.
    If anything, TS4's focus on partying, clubbing, barflies, casual WooHoo, and dude-bro "culture" is a celebration of toxic masculinity, and therefore anti-SJW.

:D:D:D Is that even socially "legal" any more? :D

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    PrincessSaturnPrincessSaturn Posts: 564 Member

What's with the influx of politics lately?
    People who think like you perpetuate a problem
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

I know. Sad. But believe me. Their sentences have words. Sometimes three words. Or two. And they're not great sentences. Or terrific sentences. That I can tell you. Believe me. They're there. With the best words. Terrific repeated words. Not very big words. But every one of their sentences has words.
  • Options
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

I know. Sad. But believe me. Their sentences have words. Sometimes three words. Or two. And they're not great sentences. Or terrific sentences. That I can tell you. Believe me. They're there. With the best words. Terrific repeated words. Not very big words. But every one of their sentences has words.

I love you.
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

I love you.

It's the hair. Right?
  • Options

I love you.

It's the hair. Right?

It's the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 ;)
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    yeah the Sims 4 is still a baby, I say we're almost a quarter in. I think they can push Seasons, Supernaturals and other life states, a lot of World Adventures including Island Paradise, Pets, Showtime, Senerations, University, Luxury bedroom party stuff.
    A person who's a quarter in when a baby dies at four. In no way is Sims 4 a baby. Just a limited 25 year old with issues and a lot of limitations.
    25 is still young, Although it is the age to get yourself together.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    Bristolkat wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious that EA considers the sims 4 to be a flop. I believe Them when they say that they sold 5 million copies of the base game.

No numerical statement has been made to date about how many units of the game have been sold, I believe. All we ever saw was a 5 million badge. None of the Guru's ever confirmed what it was for. It is community speculation that led to that assumption.

I don't think that the franchise is dead, so to speak. I believe that the Sims still has life. I am just not sure that the current team knows enough about CPR to bring it back for the next round.

I think it was probably 5 million instances of woohoo, from their data-grabbing aka telemetry. Maybe 5 million angry poops, not sure. Five million games of musical chairs???

LOL ! woohoo - ing in a bush (when I first saw that I said to myself all the pricklies are now in the crack) or fertilizing it
  • Options
    Patch 1.69 was made to tie peoples' TS3 games to Origin. TS3 came out before they had Origin ready as their DRM and marketing tool. It's my understanding that it does run in the background and tie up precious resources, which TS3 cannot afford. I solved that problem by uninstalling Origin from my PC in order to prevent it from hijacking my game. :*

I don't buy the theory that they made this current game in order to keep selling TS3. I do think they did not wish to spend the amount of money that it cost them to develop TS3 and they thought that making a smaller, simpler game would still sell to their target market. I guess they didn't think their customers would notice everything they took out, or else they thought they could find a new market for it.

Apparently some didn't mind, but I don't think they understand a lot of their prior customers well at all, and they've not been as successful as they would have hoped in finding new customers.

I uninstalled Origin but I still couldn't play. I got a message stating something along the lines to please download Origin to access this game. How did you avoid that? Please, please, tell me. I hate the launcher and I don't want to use it anymore. :(

Did you update to patch 1.69? If so, it's my understanding that you have to have Origin. I refuse to go beyond 1.67. If you don't have 1.69, you should be able to run TS3 right from the .exe file; that's what I've done for years to bypass the launcher, which I don't need taking up resources in the background. Good luck!

Yes. :( Sadly I was forced to update my game. I had gone to play, clicked in my S3 icon and it refused to load. I logged onto Origin and saw that my games were all uninstalled. I was livid! And could not figure out how they got uninstalled. So I downloaded all of them, and lo and behold, I had to be signed in with Origin and then launch through the game launcher. Ever since I've been having crashing issues. It's a real pain. I can only play for around an hour before I crash, and if I save, it crashes directly after. I asked the gurus if there was anyway around the launcher, and just to fire the game from my icon, but none answered.

I thought about uninstalling and reinstalling from my CDs, but two or three are scratched or broken, so I'm stuck with a borked game.

If your base game disc is in tact and pre 2012, or you can at least get your hands on one, I might have a solution for you. When I accidentally patched to 1.69 what worked for me was uninstalling and reinstalling just the base game. It took me back to patch 1.57 (I was only up to Movie Stuff at the time) and I superpatched my way on up to 1.67. When I got ITF I was asked if I wanted to update to 1.69 and declined.

This wasn't the original thread I'd read about that tip on but it's very helpful if that's the route you decide to go. Your only issue may be store content. I didn't have that issue, luckily, but you never know what might happen.

ETA: Missed a part, got distracted by something outside! :sweat_smile: If there's some way you can get new disc of the of the ones you have that are messed up, this method should work. I think any of the EPs or SPs that are downloaded from Origin might not work with patch 1.67. They really want people to use that thing... Amazon might have them cheap and Target puts them on sale from time to time (usually buy one get one half off), especially around the holidays.

awesome and enlightening post (gave you an insightful rating) my game patched to 1.69 without my knowledge & it made me very angry but it was kind of my fault because I had update games automatically in Origin. But I didn't like that at all & was trying to figure out a way to go back.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    If anything, TS4's focus on partying, clubbing, barflies, casual WooHoo, and dude-bro "culture" is a celebration of toxic masculinity, and therefore anti-SJW.

and just think they're promoting all that behavior on teens. No teens its not good to do casual woo hoo with everyone you meet.
    It entangles your emotions & will have you all messed up especially if the relationship doesn't continue; opening you up for negative
    emotions from rejection or sadness, you won't be able to concentrate on school, you may get depressed and on & on it goes.
    The partying etc is okay to a degree, at appropriate times like weekends, because if you're not careful that could mess you up too. Moderation guys
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    O...M...G

This is the new favourite screenshots thread D:
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options