Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on what is left of The Sims 4 era?

Comments

• Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited August 2016
    kremesch73 wrote: »
    Gruffman wrote: »
    @kremesch73

I thought the aliens themselves were done well in Sims4. Though the voices tend to get annoying. My only real complaint with aliens is how difficult it is to get abducted and/or pregnant.

They were done well. The issue I ran into was I was one of the lucky ones where abductions happened every single night. I did complain. I wanted them to fix it. Unfortunately, they're fix was not the fix I was asking for. It became so rare after that, and if you were abducted, the chance for pregnancy was practically non-existent.

If that changed since December, I am unaware. I haven't played since then.

I saw Sim Guru Nick say that the abductions were at 100% and they tweaked them down to 25% and he's going to look into the possible reasons why some Sims aren't getting abducted. In 18 months I've had either 1 or 2 abductions and 0 pregnancies.

He lied. They tweaked the chances of pregnancy on top of that. It was mentioned shortly after the fix was released (by a guru and I forget which one). The the proof is in the pudding. I don't need to be hopeful over lies any more.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @kremesch73

I thought the aliens themselves were done well in Sims4. Though the voices tend to get annoying. My only real complaint with aliens is how difficult it is to get abducted and/or pregnant.

They were done well. The issue I ran into was I was one of the lucky ones where abductions happened every single night. I did complain. I wanted them to fix it. Unfortunately, they're fix was not the fix I was asking for. It became so rare after that, and if you were abducted, the chance for pregnancy was practically non-existent.

I saw Sim Guru Nick say that the abductions were at 100% and they tweaked them down to 25% and he's going to look into the possible reasons why some Sims aren't getting abducted. In 18 months I've had either 1 or 2 abductions and 0 pregnancies.

He lied. They tweaked the chances of pregnancy on top of that. It was mentioned shortly after the fix was released (by a guru and I forget which one). The the proof is in the pudding. I don't need to be hopeful over lies any more.

This thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15115082#Comment_15115082

This post

"@Terra - The chance of pregnancy from abduction is set to 25%. I don't know what the chance of the abduction itself is. That's probably based on tons of things. Sounds like you guys aren't seeing 25% though, so yeah, we'll look into it. :) "
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    @kremesch73

~~~

@kremesch73 My big problem with the 'fix' is that I actually bought GTW for the aliens and abductions. Now I have an EP that doesn't have the one thing I bought it for.

I've had 2 abductions and one pregnancy both working as scientists.

I get that before it was way too much, sims were getting abducted every 2 sim hours no joke. But they dumbed it down too much now, I honestly can't believe it's at 25% it seems like 0.9%.

Only sims that work on the science career have any chance of getting abducted.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    @kremesch73

~~~

@kremesch73 My big problem with the 'fix' is that I actually bought GTW for the aliens and abductions. Now I have an EP that doesn't have the one thing I bought it for.

I've had 2 abductions and one pregnancy both working as scientists.

I get that before it was way too much, sims were getting abducted every 2 sim hours no joke. But they dumbed it down too much now, I honestly can't believe it's at 25% it seems like 0.9%.

Only sims that work on the science career have any chance of getting abducted.

The thing is that before the tweak I had no abductions.....even though I did all the things to entice those silly aliens....after I've had two and 0 pregnancies.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    I don't get why they didn't just add an option or checkbox. Maybe 2 boxes with one being "allow alien abduction" and then another with "allow alien pregnancies". Or add a slider so that players can change the percentage themselves. They always tout that the game is full of options but never add any, and the patched-in content is especially bad about it.
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016

The thing is that before the tweak I had no abductions.....even though I did all the things to entice those silly aliens....after I've had two and 0 pregnancies.

Well. Then again. He lied. If it were 100% you would have surely suffered the same fate as me. Given that this is the response. The truth is that they really don't know what went wrong. Saying that they did know was lies.

EDIT: after really thinking about this. For Pete's sake. Do they even know what they're doing?
  • Options
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I don't get why they didn't just add an option or checkbox. Maybe 2 boxes with one being "allow alien abduction" and then another with "allow alien pregnancies". Or add a slider so that players can change the percentage themselves. They always tout that the game is full of options but never add any, and the patched-in content is especially bad about it.

I dunno.......it's basically what they did in the gender patch isn't it?
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2016

No.

Male sims that get others pregnant can get pregnant by alien abduction, which is fine, it's the point of the situation, it's always been like this in the series, it's just that some people tend to not understand it, they don't take it as a joke and get all worked up about it, even though you can send the baby to it's home planet if you don't want it, which wasn't even possible before.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    I know you enjoy the game and I appreciate that. It was nice to see you comment on the topic.

I really wish they could have just fixed it. You know? Not obliterated it all together. I know it's not everyone's thing. But it was a thing I always like about The Sims. It was also the first time I had ever complained about a feature being far too dominating. The result was less than satisfactory. I never said I wanted it gone. I participated and suggested, ad nauseum about the best way to approach the issue was. What I got was. Nevermind.

I stopped reporting because the results were always more disappointing than the actual problem for me. I just can't support this team.

I was one of the few way back when the game was released. For some odd reason, I enjoyed the difficulty that was there in the beginning ... some say it was a grind fest, and for a while I enjoyed the challenge. For the first time ever in any sims game, my sim never got to level 10 in their career. I love the added difficulty for school to get that A. Looking back, it was a grind but it was one I found worthwhile. Not everyone had to reach the max in their career, not every student had to get that A grade ... it opened up the way I could play. Then the nerf came. The game that I enjoyed up to that point was gone. The 'you rule' bit was a lie, I no longer ruled how I wanted to play. Granted, I did (and still do) enjoy the game ...

Now the aliens. I loved aliens in all the sims series. They are my favorite life state to play ( followed by fae and then werewolf ). I enjoyed them when they first came out. I didn't mind the abduction city if you were a scientist. And when I started to see the complaint threads, my heart did sink. Again, the 'you rule' was a lie.

My one main take from the Sims4 is that the powers that be seem to do a one size fits all policy instead of a you rule one. They cannot appease everyone and yet, that is what they try to do. In the process, they end up alienating everyone. Instead of letting the players have the options of what they want, don't want there is just a giant band-aid to cover everything. The game is too grindy ... everything advances too slow. Band-aid. Nerf it all down. Alien abductions happening too frequently. Band-aid. now they are so rare they are almost not in game at all. Now there are threads popping up of how my sims have too much money ... is there going to be a band-aid to increase bills/frequency of bills/lower sim wages in response. It wouldn't surprise me.

My main disappointment, my main complaint with the Sims4 has little to do with the game itself. It is more the knee jerk response fixes to issues that players had instead.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I was another player who suffered from too-frequent abduction attempts of one of my sims (almost nightly). I remember specifically asking at the time please DO NOT reduce abductions to where they'd be non-existent, please just give us some options so that we could control it a little ourselves. My personal request was two gnomes. One, an alien gnome that puts out a "Welcome Aliens!" signal, and a military gnome that sends the "NO Aliens! Go Away!" signal. Problem solved. Players can fine tune how they want their sims to be played, household by household. We're supposed to rule, right?

I'm still mad about it. If I'd known they'd just nerf it, I would have never opened my mouth. Great that they're looking into it now, but geez, it's nearly a day late and a dollar short with how much time has passed since we first brought it up.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    They strayed too far form the original concept, slashed and burned what they should have kept and improved and reduced the experience to some immature level and effectively alienated a huge percentage of it's fan base. Sims 4 has killed off the Sims legacy and each day just seems to twist the knife in deeper.

What bothers me most is beside the point that they did stray off the path.I was willing to accept it as a new game. I was enjoying it for what it was. Then came the:
    • Broken bar glitch that lasted a month. I became frustrated.
    • They fixed it, I got back in the groove. All was well.
    • Then I discovered culling. I became frustrated.
    • Found a mod. All was well.
    • Then I discovered all these bugs. I'm talking about the ones that never got fixed ti this date. I became frustrated.
    • I let it slide.
    • I told myself it would get better. They said it would.
    • Spa Day? Everyone became muscular=frustration.
    • GTW. Was told I didn't need to follow my sims to work. All lies except for the Science Career.
    • GTW. Aliens. Couldn't get it right. Gone now.
    • Autonomous Woohoo. What? Couldn't get that right. All my sims acted like their libidos were on fire. Every. Single. One. Great month that was. didn't play for that month. Frustration.
    • GT. Great. Wait! What's this? My sims have all forgotten each other?
    • Pools. No one used them autonomously for over month. Pointless.
    • Every release. Not tested. Problems. Frustration.
    • Mods broken every month. Have to wait until I can get the updated mod. Frustration.
    • Play with emotions? Why? They change every 2 seconds. Pointless.
    • New features every month? Oh wait. They broke the way I was playing. Time to change strategy again. Not fun.
    • Family trees? Culling: need I say more?
    • Ghosts: culling. Ad nauseum.

Toddlers, terrain tools, world building, CAW, CASt are so not what's wrong with this game. Not for me. What is wrong with this game is that they tell you one thing. Then they change that the next month. They omit to tell you that they're breaking the way you play. Increase the population limit? Sounds good. Wait a minute. Why is everyone forgetting who they've always known before this fix was implemented?

Nothing was said about relationship decay. That's beyond me. I stopped playing long before that. But again. Ooh. Great feature they've implemented! Off to go update another mod!

What happens if that modder gets tired of having to update all the time?

Not worth it. Mess. Game over!

I agree with everything but you actually can send sims off to work without following them :blush:

I know you can, but mine never got promoted unless I actively participated. Did yours?

No we can't get promoted sadly, which I think is a stupid move from the devs
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

No.

Male sims that get others pregnant can get pregnant by alien abduction, which is fine, it's the point of the situation, it's always been like this in the series, it's just that some people tend to not understand it, they don't take it as a joke and get all worked up about it, even though you can send the baby to it's home planet if you don't want it, which wasn't even possible before.

I meant that the gender patch supplied us with a can get pregnant/ can get others pregnant tick box.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    No we can't get promoted sadly, which I think is a plum move from the devs

I take it very personally. I was very clear that I did not want active careers (others can have them), but I did not want to 'actively' participate in those careers. I wanted others to, but I wanted an option for me to select them without having to. I specificially asked and made my question very clear. That was when the Q & A was still a thing. It was the only time I was ever actively involved. I was told I did not have to participate in order to advance. That was the main reason I purchased it. Aliens were the second reason.

Granted. They never said it was only the Science career which I discovered on my own. So I guess they didn't really lie. They were just very political about omitting the other truths like they are with the patches. They also never said they'd fix the abduction issue by dealing with it in the laziest possible way. Did they? No. They said they were 'looking into it.'

Sound familiar? Not directed at you, by the way. More directed at the powers that be.
  • Options
    TerminathanYTTerminathanYT Posts: 38 Member
    i just want sims 5 already
  • Options
    BristolkatBristolkat Posts: 43 Member
    Its fairly obvious this game is being held together with scotch tape and bubble gum, The foundation is already cracking. which is why They seem to take older features away with every new feature they add. I'm fairly certain "culling" and "relationship decay" wasn't done purpose ..it just makes no sense for them to do that. I really think its a symptom of a much larger issue. I think we will see 1 more expansion pack but a lot more stuff and game packs. they will Probably continue to make those until its no longer worth it to continue.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    They strayed too far form the original concept, slashed and burned what they should have kept and improved and reduced the experience to some immature level and effectively alienated a huge percentage of it's fan base. Sims 4 has killed off the Sims legacy and each day just seems to twist the knife in deeper.

What bothers me most is beside the point that they did stray off the path.I was willing to accept it as a new game. I was enjoying it for what it was. Then came the:
    • Then I discovered all these bugs. I'm talking about the ones that never got fixed to this date. I became frustrated.
    • I let it slide.
    • GTW. Was told I didn't need to follow my sims to work. All lies except for the Science Career.
    • Autonomous Woohoo. What? Couldn't get that right. All my sims acted like their libidos were on fire. Every. Single. One. Great month that was. didn't play for that month. Frustration.
    • Pools. No one used them autonomously for over a month. Pointless.
    • Mods broken every month. Have to wait until I can get the updated mod. Frustration.
    • New features every month? Oh wait. They broke the way I was playing. Time to change strategy again. Not fun.

Toddlers, terrain tools, world building, CAW, CASt are so not what's wrong with this game. Not for me. What is wrong with this game is that they tell you one thing. Then they change that the next month. They omit to tell you that they're breaking the way you play. Increase the population limit? Sounds good. Wait a minute. Why is everyone forgetting who they've always known before this fix was implemented?

Nothing was said about relationship decay. That's beyond me. I stopped playing long before that. But again. Ooh. Great feature they've implemented! Off to go update another mod!

They really need to understand that their problem is not about missing features. They need to understand that they've gone about the entire thing in the most ridiculous way one could ever go about it.

I don't know if you were following the 'Q&A about Gamescom' thread, but this is something that @SimGuruDrake and I were going back and forth about a bit there. To sum up the relevant part there, I presented this argument (specifically in relation to culling, relationship culling, and inactive played relationship decay, and how they hurt rotational players in particular) about features being put in without warning, and she told me that they only put notices in the patch notes about features they think will be "a big deal to the players". I think by now though she's gotten the message loud and clear that these features are "a big deal to the players" and she said that when she's back in the states she's going to be having a meeting with some people about the Sim relationship issues in particular - I told her that we want options, and she said she's going to try to get an answer for us but it might take a little while. So, just wanted to update you that there's been a slight bit of progress on those points.

In regards to the actual topic, I tend to disagree with those who say that TS4 won't last. I think it's going to last longer than 4 or 5 years. I imagine they're going to milk it as long as they can.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    i just want sims 5 already

Same here ;)

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :smiley:

Also welcome to @Bristolkat

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I was one of the few way back when the game was released. For some odd reason, I enjoyed the difficulty that was there in the beginning ... some say it was a grind fest, and for a while I enjoyed the challenge. For the first time ever in any sims game, my sim never got to level 10 in their career. I love the added difficulty for school to get that A. Looking back, it was a grind but it was one I found worthwhile. Not everyone had to reach the max in their career, not every student had to get that A grade ... it opened up the way I could play. Then the nerf came. The game that I enjoyed up to that point was gone. The 'you rule' bit was a lie, I no longer ruled how I wanted to play. Granted, I did (and still do) enjoy the game ...

Now the aliens. I loved aliens in all the sims series. They are my favorite life state to play ( followed by fae and then werewolf ). I enjoyed them when they first came out. I didn't mind the abduction city if you were a scientist. And when I started to see the complaint threads, my heart did sink. Again, the 'you rule' was a lie.

My one main take from the Sims4 is that the powers that be seem to do a one size fits all policy instead of a you rule one. They cannot appease everyone and yet, that is what they try to do. In the process, they end up alienating everyone. Instead of letting the players have the options of what they want, don't want there is just a giant band-aid to cover everything. The game is too grindy ... everything advances too slow. Band-aid. Nerf it all down. Alien abductions happening too frequently. Band-aid. now they are so rare they are almost not in game at all. Now there are threads popping up of how my sims have too much money ... is there going to be a band-aid to increase bills/frequency of bills/lower sim wages in response. It wouldn't surprise me.

My main disappointment, my main complaint with the Sims4 has little to do with the game itself. It is more the knee jerk response fixes to issues that players had instead.

I think you know I really liked this game at first too. Honestly, I didn't find it all that grindy. Once I figured out the mechanics, everything was just as easy as it was in past games. S1 was the most difficult game to date, but once you figured it out, all was good. The challenge was to figure it out. I've always enjoyed that challenge.

What I bolded is the problem for me. I'm playing S3 right now, and I never liked that game before. What I've noticed is that they have so many options. I can choose weather elements that I want or don't want in my game. I keep it all selected. What fun is there if I have too much control? But it's nice knowing it's there. It isn't upsetting those who do or don't want the control. Population settings and lunar controls are also there.

I'm not boasting S3 or trying to start a parade on the topic. What I'm really trying to say is why didn't they tackle the issues in the same way? This game really had so much potential for me. The approach is what really went wrong, imo.
  • Options
    @Terra I wasn't following it, but I did read some links that were posted in other threads regarding it. I take everything with a grain of salt these days.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2016

• Then I discovered all these bugs. I'm talking about the ones that never got fixed to this date. I became frustrated.
    • I let it slide.
    • Pools. No one used them autonomously for over a month. Pointless.

They really need to understand that their problem is not about missing features. They need to understand that they've gone about the entire thing in the most ridiculous way one could ever go about it.
    Awesome (I forgive the 'Toddlers, terrain tools, world building, CAW, CASt are so not what's wrong with this game' :p ).

One question out of curiosity: "Was told I didn't need to follow my sims to work. All lies except for the Science Career." How come? (I'm playing the science career and with just one sim I constantly follow, so I wasn't aware there was a problem in that department).

ETA: never mind, it's in the following posts ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Awesome (I forgive the 'Toddlers, terrain tools, world building, CAW, CASt are so not what's wrong with this game' :p ).

One question out of curiosity: "Was told I didn't need to follow my sims to work. All lies except for the Science Career." How come? (I'm playing the science career and with just one sim I constantly follow, so I wasn't aware there was a problem in that department).

ETA: never mind, it's in the following posts ;)

Lol. Yeah. The science career was the only one I'd play because I didn't need to be actively involved. In one of my stories. 2 scientists are married. One is very scientific, and the other isn't, but would like to be. The scientific one is cruel and mean. The one who's not so successful is romantic and dreamy.

There is no way I could have played that out if I could only send one at a time. So I decided to see what would happen if I didn't. One completed their daily tasks outside of work. All tasks were attainable without having to actively attend. The other didn't achieve their goals.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member

*puts on tin foil hat*

I think both issues are related. They not only seem to be having difficulty adding new content to the game, they also appently have difficulty managing or changing/fine tuning content they've already added. It's my suspicion that both issues are related to the same problems with the game. JMO
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options

*puts on tin foil hat*

I think both issues are related. They not only seem to be having difficulty adding new content to the game, they also appently have difficulty managing or changing/fine tuning content they've already added. It's my suspicion that both issues are related to the same problems with the game. JMO

No need for tinfoil. You have a valid concern. One I share.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2016
    yeah the Sims 4 is still a baby, I say we're almost a quarter in. I think they can push Seasons, Supernaturals and other life states, a lot of World Adventures including Island Paradise, Pets, Showtime, Senerations, University, Luxury bedroom party stuff.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    yeah the Sims 4 is still a baby, I say we're almost a quarter in. I think they can push Seasons, Supernaturals and other life states, a lot of World Adventures including Island Paradise, Pets, Showtime, Senerations, University, Luxury bedroom party stuff.

Well TS4 is probably more or less a toddler by now, yet it has no toddlers... :open_mouth:

On a series note though, there probably is still time for the game to receive some content but it is more of a question of when, rather than just what...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg