Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too much focus on the Young Adult/Adult life stage

123457...Next

Comments

• Options
    auramarisauramaris Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2016
    I don't usually play with my elder sims but i can say that they're not so different from the adults. Even their looks are very similar to adults, i don't use the white hair for them so it's kinda like they're dying their hair but then it doesn't feel like they're old and one day all of a sudden they die of old age and i still feel like they were too young to die cause they weren't acting old at all, it's weird.
    Teens are like that too, another copy of the young adult stage, i even need mods to make them shorter to feel like they're actual teens.
    I expected much more from the kids room stuff, i thought kids could at least play usual games together like tag but nope. I watched them the first time they played with objects and i didn't even bother after that.
    Do i really need to say anything about babies? I don't think so lol.

But yeah i'm a young adult and i agree with @Erpe that YAs play with their own stage the most, it's the most fun stage for me but i still want to see more depth in other life stages and experience the problems and the fun parts of their age. Right now i feel like i'm going through several life stages just to get to the young adult one and the others don't matter at all.
    Post edited by auramaris on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited September 2016
    Elder starts at retirement (in USA) around 65 and very few people live to be 100 and are still able to do things so I would say 80 is about average for that. You skipped 5 years between Adult and Elder (55 to 60? unaccounted for, do you disappear for five years?) So that's 47 years vs. 15 years. A much bigger difference than your version which had errors.

Edit: YAs and Adults are just more active IRL than Elders.
    Erpe wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    The simple fact is, is that the YA and adult stage are the longest stages of your life. Of course more focus would be on those two stages. Forty to fifty years.
    I would think that YA could be 18 to 35 and adult then 36 to 55. Elders are at least from 60 to 100 which isn't shorter (even though the exact limits between the age groups depend on the persons who set them).

The real reason why the game focuses on YA and adult is that teens and young adults is the game's target group and young people are supposed to be mostly interested in their own near future where YA is meant to be about life as students or singles before they get a real family of their own and adults is mainly about the life as parents. The life after their children have grown up is of no interest for young people. So there isn't much focus on elders in the game.

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited September 2016
    Elder starts at retirement (in USA) around 65 and very few people live to be 100 and are still able to do things so I would say 80 is about average for that. You skipped 5 years between Adult and Elder (55 to 60? unaccounted for, do you disappear for five years?) So that's 47 years vs. 15 years. A much bigger difference than your version which had errors.

The simple fact is, is that the YA and adult stage are the longest stages of your life. Of course more focus would be on those two stages. Forty to fifty years.
    I would think that YA could be 18 to 35 and adult then 36 to 55. Elders are at least from 60 to 100 which isn't shorter (even though the exact limits between the age groups depend on the persons who set them).

The real reason why the game focuses on YA and adult is that teens and young adults is the game's target group and young people are supposed to be mostly interested in their own near future where YA is meant to be about life as students or singles before they get a real family of their own and adults is mainly about the life as parents. The life after their children have grown up is of no interest for young people. So there isn't much focus on elders in the game.
    I know that I skipped the age between 55 and 60 because most people in that age group could be insulted if we call them elders. People above 60 are more likely to accept that they aren't seen as adults who are still young and likely to have children who haven't yet grown up.

In the US newborn babies will in average live until they are 80 yrs old. But some of them will die already before they are 20. So the average isn't worth much because this must mean that if you live until you are 50 then in average you will be much older (and especially if you aren't already seriously ill when you are 50).

Also there are huge differences between the countries. Worldwide newborns can in average expect to live until they are 71 yrs old. But newborn babies in Sierra Leone can in average only expect to live until they are 50 yrs old and newborn girls in Japan can in average expect to live until they are 87 yrs old.

The above numbers are from WHO. But the US CIA actually expect newborn girls in Monaco to live until they are 94 yrs old in average.

Some people live until they are way above 100 (in Japan more than 10,000). But they are still so few that I would say that elders are about 60 to 100 yrs old if we think of elders as people who often don't work anymore or are close to retirement and usually only have adult children.

You can't disregard people who are older than the average life length because then you disregard half of the whole population who at some time will reach a higher age.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited September 2016

I know that I skipped the age between 55 and 60 because most people in that age group could be insulted if we call them elders. People above 60 are more likely to accept that they aren't seen as adults who are still young and likely to have children who haven't yet grown up.

In the US newborn babies will in average live until they are 80 yrs old. But some of them will die already before they are 20. So the average isn't worth much because this must mean that if you live until you are 50 then in average you will be much older (and especially if you aren't already seriously ill when you are 50).

Also there are huge differences between the countries. Worldwide newborns can in average expect to live until they are 71 yrs old. But newborn babies in Sierra Leone can in average only expect to live until they are 50 yrs old and newborn girls in Japan can in average expect to live until they are 87 yrs old.

The above numbers are from WHO. But the US CIA actually expect newborn girls in Monaco to live until they are 94 yrs old in average.

Some people live until they are way above 100 (in Japan more than 10,000). But they are still so few that I would say that elders are about 60 to 100 yrs old if we think of elders as people who often don't work anymore or are close to retirement and usually only have adult children.

You can't disregard people who are older than the average life length because then you disregard half of the whole population who at some time will reach a higher age.

Not sure how old you are, but none of my 55- to 69-year-old relatives (that would be everyone older than my husband and me, which is a whole lot of family) consider themselves as "seniors". And some of them retired before 60. Same with my friends, many of whom are in that age group. Past 70, up at 75? Fair game. Sociologists use 65 as the defining point, and subdivide "old age" into two stages: 65-74, and 75+ (though I've seen 80+ used occasionally for the the second stage of old age). Average life expectancy in the U.S. is about 78. Only for a tiny percentage of the population does old age extend to near 100—the equivalent of those occasional Sims who Just. Won't. Die.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    @luthienrising As you can see on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_living_people there are even currently living people who are more than 110 yrs old and the oldest verified age was the French women Jeanne Calmert who died in 1997 about 122.5 yrs old. In Japan there are now so many people who get more than 100 yrs old that the government had to reduce the gift which it earlier gave to 100 yrs olds. Most people have even members in there own near family who get more than 90 yrs old. My dad's aunt was just one of them. So ages between 90 and 100 are very common.

I live in Denmark where one of our most famous musicians actually will be 101 yrs old if he still is alive next February. He was remarried once more in 2005 when he was 89 yrs old btw. He also still played his famous violin when he was in his mid 90s.

The statistics says that more than half of us will still be alive when we are at least 80 yrs old. But the statistics is based on old data about people who are already dead. We get older and older and more and more people live until they are even more than 100 yrs old. So the younger we are the longer we can expect to live. I agree with the CIA who expect that half of the babies born today will become more than 90 yrs old before they die.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    You are talking about a few people out of millions on this planet. Those that live to 100 are not the norm, they are the exception.
  • Options
    You are talking about a few people out of millions on this planet. Those that live to 100 are not the norm, they are the exception.
    Yes they still is. But the people who livi until they are in their 90s aren't and especially they won't be in the future (unless a new world war or some other huge disaster happens). Therefore saying that elders are from 60 or 65 to 100 is the most reasonable description of the age group. But if you prefer something like 60 to 99 instead then it is okay with me :)
  • Options
    IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    There's a lot of talk about statistics but in a game where you can talk to a cow-plant hybrid, I don't see why this would matter. And I also don't see why more content couldn't be added to other stages along with YA, not just YA (with the exception of the 1 and only kids pack. If you have to ask, no, that's not enough.) Sure, YA might be a considerably long stage, but it isn't the only one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.