Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too much focus on the Young Adult/Adult life stage

carly552carly552 Posts: 119 Member
edited August 2016 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The Sims 4 focuses way too much on the young adult life stage. Almost every pack/ EP is for the young adults. Obviously excluding Kids pack spooky pack and maybe backyard stuff?

The Sims 4 is a life simulator. The Young adult stage (your 20s) and adult stage is not the only stage you go through in life. I feel as if the too much focus on young adults/adult life stage is the reason for the repetitive, annoying, useless theme in the sims 4 I absolutely despise; Partying. We have all been through the baby stage, some of us have been through and finished the child stage, others here are in the or have finished teen stage and so on. If they are putting this much focus on the young adult and adult stage then they should put more focus on the other life stages. Why don't we look at the other current life stages.

Baby:
Oh wait, never mind. This isn't a life stage, its simply an object.

Toddlers:
Oh wait...

Child:
The Kids pack was a great start, but I feel like there isn't much you can do with the children. Trust me they are cute to look at I fell like we need more to do with them. My ideas: an option to enroll them to boarding school, summer camp (if we ever get seasons), sleepovers with friends, etc.

Teens:
One of the most disappointing life stage in my opinion. Teens have always been my favorite life stage to play with and I feel like in the sims 4 they are a washed out version of YA. You can barely tell them and YA apart. (I really want want a height slider) My ideas: prom, graduation ceremony, sleepovers, school dances, random fights with their parents

So, what do you think?
baby-pink-cute-cute-night-gif-Favim.com-3891443.gif

Post edited by carly552 on

Comments

• Options
    sassy_simmer727sassy_simmer727 Posts: 87 Member
    I agree completely. Sometimes when playing legacies I just age up sim child and teen before it is there birthday because I get so bored with the blandness of childhood. Children and teens have no personality or interactions. I also think a get to school pack could be introduced to add to childhood. It could be kind of like get to work but for your kids and teens.
    Happy simming to all and to all a good night.
  • Options
    WillowG145WillowG145 Posts: 351 Member
    edited August 2016
    I agree. And for what I have played, is not like elders got much to do too. I'd love to see more stuff for them too. Actually, I found them quite lacking in the sims 2/3 too. Now, I still have to play elders in my rediscovery of the sims 2, but if I remember correctly, they didn't had much to do of "elder specifically". In the sims 3, with generations, they could grumble about the young, use a cane, remember old times and be proud of the nephews. I love those little things!

I'd like to see something for them too. Organyzed journeys for elder only, for example, ot other more specific elder-things (teach a family recipe to younger sims, or tell stories, or some activity.

I find it depressiong how a game that sayd it wanted to concentrato the sims themselves made the life stages ony sligtly better than the original the sims. Teens and lack of toddlers are owever my biggest problem with this game. I can't play without those life stages. :(
    Post edited by WillowG145 on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    carly552 wrote: »
    The Young adult stage (your 20s) and adult stage is not the only stage you go through in life.
    But it is the largest portion of your life.
    If you think of being an young adult/adult, as being from 18-60
    You're only a baby for about 12 months, and a toddler for 3 years, then a child for 7 years, and a teen for only 5 years (even though it sticks with you, and stands out for the rest of your life).
    Someone in their 60's isn't really an "elder," they're sort of a transition to elder, 70's, 80's, and if you make it that far, 90's are the real elder years.
    Yes, not the only stage, but certainly the longest, and where quite a lot generally happens (jobs, marriage, kids, etc)
    I absolutely despise; Partying.
    I don't. There was a time when I partied quite a bit, and I really miss it. So I live vicariously through my sims.
    We have all been through the baby stage,
    Not that anyone remembers it, it's short, and it's before memories stick.
    some of us have been through the child stage
    Some? Are there toddlers on this forum?
    some are in the teen stage
    I think the majority are on the tail end, or past it already.

Baby:
    Yeah, ts2 babies are more 'fun'
    At least you can bathe them in the sink, and leave them on the floor.
    Toddlers:
    Oh wait...
    Yes, rugrats would be nice.
    Child:
    The Kids pack was a great start, but I feel like there isn't much you can do with the children. Trust me they are cute to look at I fell like we need more to do with them. My ideas: an option to enroll them to boarding school, summer camp (if we ever get seasons), sleepovers with friends, etc.
    Every time somone mentions summer camp, I'm always left thinking, is that a real thing?
    And as for bording school: Great idea! Then the kids will be out of the house, and the parents can go back to partying :p

Teens:
    One of the most disappointing life stage in my opinion. Teens have always been my favorite life stage to play with and I feel like in the sims 4 they are a washed out version of YA. You can barely tell them and YA apart. (I really want want a height slider) My ideas: prom, graduation ceremony, sleepovers, school dances, random fights with their parents
    Ha. Prom. that's another one where I'm asking, is that a real thing?
    We don't have proms downunder. We usually have school formals, with a formal being more of a formal dinner, than a dance. School dances were much more casual, and my school often had dress up themes, I dressed as a robot for one, and a woodelf for another. Fun times.

Perhaps if teens had curfews, and had to ask permision to go out on school nights, it might make things a bit more believable. And acne, like they had in ts2.

Not so fond of the graduation ceremony, but how about adopting an australian tradition: Schoolies!
    It's a week long party for senior students, after the school year is over. It happens in summer, just before christmas. It usually happens in particular coastal towns, with certain areas fenced off as alcohol free safe party zones, with djs etc. The legal drinking age here is 18, and school leavers are usually 17/18, so they need the alcohol free zones for those who can't legally drink.

So, what do you think?
    I think that you're right, in that other ages need more focus.
    But I also think you forgot elders.
    I didn't
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/895668/were-not-dead-yet-pack-for-elders
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I want the liberation of the babies! #babyliberation Once the babies are freed once again, then we need more clothing options for them, Everyday, Sleep, Outwear (if we get Seasons), and possibly Swim, so they can have some fun in a splash pool in their back or front yards. I also missing bathing them in the skin, and they could also have a baby bath tub, and when they learn to sit up and crawl, then a bath seat, high chair, walker, toys, baby snacks, the whole nine yards.

Toddlers can be bathed in the tub, have booster seat for the table, toddler books to read and color in, toddler beds, little potty lips for the toilet so they can be potty trained if it wasn't something done when they were still bigger babies, and again, the whole nine yards for them as well!

Kids can be kids again! The ability to play Tag, Miss Mary Mac, Cops n Robbers, hopscotch, hide n go seek, fly kites, draw on the sidewalk with chalk, etc. They still could use their imagination, and bring back gaming consoles.

Teens could be teens again, that awkward time between childhood and adulthood. Sleep overs, hanging out with friends, after school activities, and more.

There is so much more that they could flesh out for all lifestages, adding to and making the game a way better experience. The question is, will they actually do it?
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    Movotti wrote: »
    The Young adult stage (your 20s) and adult stage is not the only stage you go through in life.
    You're only a baby for about 12 months, and a toddler for 3 years, then a child for 7 years, and a teen for only 5 years (even though it sticks with you, and stands out for the rest of your life).
    Someone in their 60's isn't really an "elder," they're sort of a transition to elder, 70's, 80's, and if you make it that far, 90's are the real elder years.
    Yes, not the only stage, but certainly the longest, and where quite a lot generally happens (jobs, marriage, kids, etc)
    I don't. There was a time when I partied quite a bit, and I really miss it. So I live vicariously through my sims.

Baby:
    Toddlers:
    Oh wait...
    Child:
    Every time somone mentions summer camp, I'm always left thinking, is that a real thing?
    And as for bording school: Great idea! Then the kids will be out of the house, and the parents can go back to partying :p

Teens:
    We don't have proms downunder. We usually have school formals, with a formal being more of a formal dinner, than a dance. School dances were much more casual, and my school often had dress up themes, I dressed as a robot for one, and a woodelf for another. Fun times.

Perhaps if teens had curfews, and had to ask permision to go out on school nights, it might make things a bit more believable. And acne, like they had in ts2.

Not so fond of the graduation ceremony, but how about adopting an australian tradition: Schoolies!
    It's a week long party for senior students, after the school year is over. It happens in summer, just before christmas. It usually happens in particular coastal towns, with certain areas fenced off as alcohol free safe party zones, with djs etc. The legal drinking age here is 18, and school leavers are usually 17/18, so they need the alcohol free zones for those who can't legally drink.

So, what do you think?
    I didn't
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/895668/were-not-dead-yet-pack-for-elders

Ha ha, the cons of writing at lightening speed. I fixed my wording on some of my sentences.

Okay wow, I didn't know Australia didn't have summer camp or prom. Well I learned something new today.

As for Elders... I am not a huge fan of that life stage. I have always felt they were an extension of the ya/a stage.

• Options
    Aesir26Aesir26 Posts: 304 Member
    I agree that I would like to see more focus placed on the other lifestages as well. Currently they feel a little bland so I'm hoping we might get a Generations style EP somewhere along the way.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Okay wow, I didn't know Australia didn't have summer camp or prom. Well I learned something new today.
    Well, there are summer camps, but they're rare, hardly anyone even knows about them, we tend to have school camps instead, during the school year, mid week, go camping with your class.
    As for Elders... I am not a huge fan of that life stage. I have always felt they were an extension of the ya/a stage.
    Check out the link I posted, it gives a different view of elders, making them more like grandparents, rather than just grey haird adults.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    cracklenesscrackleness Posts: 72 Member
    I know its been said many times, but the sims just isnt the same without toddlers. Its weird to watch babies age up from a helpless object, practically into a little adult that can take care of itself right away.
    I do love when my sims throw parties, but you can only do so much. I feel like EA wanted to create a more perfect Sim world, with almost no problems. No more burglars, Repo-man, washing machines, etc. These were kind of a pain, but they made it more realistic. (Besides the Repo-man lol) I feel like TS4 has that bland feel because there aren't little challenges. Everything is happy and perfect feeling. And that gets boring after awhile honestly.

1A6SAWv_zps5a7ea4d6.gif

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Here: carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/

There has yet to be an exclusive YA pack. Not that you'll care, but the link above lists all the packs in detail. Adults and elders are just as able and likely to do any of the adult stuff (such as retail or restaurant ownership), and kids and teens can participate in most of the pack offerings too.

You could use GT exclusively for kids' clubhouses, for example. There's a card table item in the game where Sims can sit around and play a card game, that you could use for elders in a club as well. You can have a restaurant designed for kids, more so since they can draw while they wait for food. You can throw kids' parties for halloween or other holidays.

It's all in how you use it. I'm still waiting for a strictly YA pack so this sort of exaggeration might have some weight to it. You can play this game in its entirety and skip the YA stage altogether.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    I love that children and teens are able to use most of the new SP/GP/EP objects. That's one thing they are doing right with TS4 in my mind.
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »

Baby:
    Toddlers:
    Oh wait...
    Child:

Teens:

So, what do you think?
    I didn't

Ha ha, the cons of writing at lightening speed. I fixed my wording on some of my sentences.

Summer camp aren't that much a thing in Italy, too. There are some, but mostly are managed by nuns or Catholic organization, mostly under the Don Bosco association, or the Scout. At least for my experience.

Prom is something most italian laugh off as the classical american teen movie stuff. I was surprised it was a real thing, I must admit.
  • Options
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    http://www.salon.com/2016/03/05/homework_is_wrecking_our_kids_the_research_is_clear_lets_ban_elementary_homework/

Meanwhile, TS4 doubles down on homework. "Extra Credit" being required to improve grades.

It's clear that homework in The Sims is a time-sink designed to provide "challenging gameplay" and "time management" for the player.

Sim children are not required to do extra credit to improve grades.
  • Options
  • Options
    Gruffman wrote: »
    http://www.salon.com/2016/03/05/homework_is_wrecking_our_kids_the_research_is_clear_lets_ban_elementary_homework/

Meanwhile, TS4 doubles down on homework. "Extra Credit" being required to improve grades.

It's clear that homework in The Sims is a time-sink designed to provide "challenging gameplay" and "time management" for the player.

Oh right, I forgot the whole goals-being-removed thing. It was that way during launch if I remember right.

The other point of my post was that homework is about to become as much a "thing of the past" as newspapers are now.

It was in the base yes, but the extra credit requirement is gone ... the action is still in the game though, kids can do extra credit ... but it isn't a requirement. I do kinda wish it was for those with the Whiz Kid aspiration.

Homework becoming a thing of the past actually worries me. I am saddened by the state of our education system. Everything from the common core math, to how little academics is being taught. I find it horrifying that kids are not taught to write in cursive, print only. That just blows me away. Take away the technology and this school age kids are lost. They can't make change from a cash register, can't write ...

I was out and about, went through a drive thru. The bill was like 10.50. I handed the cashier a twenty and a dollar bill. (21.00 - I wanted a ten back, didn't want a five and four ones). The cashier didn't know what to do and called a floor manager over. Literally. I was floored.

It is a sad state of affairs, the older generation can't figure out technology. Can't program the TV, DVD, box. Can't figure out the microwave or a cell phone and the younger generation can't figure out life without the gadgets.
  • Options
  • Options

Oh right, I forgot the whole goals-being-removed thing. It was that way during launch if I remember right.

The other point of my post was that homework is about to become as much a "thing of the past" as newspapers are now.

It was in the base yes, but the extra credit requirement is gone ... the action is still in the game though, kids can do extra credit ... but it isn't a requirement. I do kinda wish it was for those with the Whiz Kid aspiration.

Homework becoming a thing of the past actually worries me. I am saddened by the state of our education system. Everything from the common core math, to how little academics is being taught. I find it horrifying that kids are not taught to write in cursive, print only. That just blows me away. Take away the technology and this school age kids are lost. They can't make change from a cash register, can't write ...

I was out and about, went through a drive thru. The bill was like 10.50. I handed the cashier a twenty and a dollar bill. (21.00 - I wanted a ten back, didn't want a five and four ones). The cashier didn't know what to do and called a floor manager over. Literally. I was floored.

It is a sad state of affairs, the older generation can't figure out technology. Can't program the TV, DVD, box. Can't figure out the microwave or a cell phone and the younger generation can't figure out life without the gadgets.

First I think cursive is absolutely useless to learn. I'm glad kids are not learning it today. Waste of time.

Second why don't we get back to the main topic of this thread

• Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I long for the good ol' days when my sim neighbors would leave their babies lying on the lawn all night long... screeching and wafting green smog.
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    I live in the US, and I can say for certain that Prom's I know not about since I missed both My Junior Prom and My Senior Prom, Why? because the first one I missed from having Major Poison Ivy, the second one I missed due to a Car Crash, so I guess I can say It was not much of a Big deal to Me, since I can not miss what I did not experience right?, anyway I want besides My Gothic type stuff that is, Clothes for baby's and playpens, more styles for changing tables and also a washing & dressing table set to be able to bathe our babies and change them in different clothing as well as different style diapers, who says the diapers have to be one style, they should be in different styles and colors, just like they are in the real world, and If they ever do add in Toddler's, then we need Different style High Chairs, Walker's, Baby Swings are also needed, a lot of stuff is needed for this game in My Opinion, I just hope they start adding soon, cause I have been waiting from day 1, tired of the wait.
  • Options

First I think cursive is absolutely useless to learn. I'm glad kids are not learning it today. Waste of time.

...What? I never heard anything like that?!? I... have no idea what to say. How can school not teach to write in cursive? And how can people not write in cursive? I hope I'm translating wrong, here...
  • Options
    WillowG145 wrote: »

...What? I never heard anything like that?!? I... have no idea what to say. How can school not teach to write in cursive? And how can people not write in cursive? I hope I'm translating wrong, here...

Well I think some schools are not teaching cursive, I don't think all schools. I'll have to check on this. I remember learning cursive in elementary school but today we don't use it at all. So that's why schools are questioning if they should teach it anymore

• Options
    @WillowG145 @carly552

Just did a quick google ... here is a news article dated Aug 12, 2013. In 2013, 41 states did not require students to learn cursive writing. I know the schools in my area do not. I have friends/family in various states that do not.

Here is the article, USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/12/is-cursives-day-in-classroom-done/2642071/
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, @Gruffman ... Something new to learn... I can't really think of not writing in cursive... I really hope this will never happen in Italy... cursive have always been the "big kids" writing for my class. Writing in cursive is obligatory outside elementary school anyway. And even in elementary school, you can only not write in cursive if is told explicity.
  • Options
    Here: carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/

There has yet to be an exclusive YA pack. Not that you'll care, but the link above lists all the packs in detail. Adults and elders are just as able and likely to do any of the adult stuff (such as retail or restaurant ownership), and kids and teens can participate in most of the pack offerings too.

You could use GT exclusively for kids' clubhouses, for example. There's a card table item in the game where Sims can sit around and play a card game, that you could use for elders in a club as well. You can have a restaurant designed for kids, more so since they can draw while they wait for food. You can throw kids' parties for halloween or other holidays.

It's all in how you use it. I'm still waiting for a strictly YA pack so this sort of exaggeration might have some weight to it. You can play this game in its entirety and skip the YA stage altogether.

A Pack does not have to be called "Young Adult Pack" for it to be for young adults. Its what is in the pack. A majority of packs we have been given have game play that offered specifically fro young adults/adults. Even in trailers, they only show the young adults doing the things that are in the pack that is being displayed.

When we got the first looks the sims 4, they only showed us young adults. People asked EA to show us what the teens, children and before we knew about toddlers, they would ask to see what they looked like. But we would constantly get looks of young adults. You can't deny that young adults in the sims 4 have been heavily favored by EA/Maxis. It shows in the packs they make. If an EP/ stuff pack was really made for every life stage, they would be more things for them to.

Watch the Get Together Trailer. I have watched it twice, I did not see any kids in the trailer. If I'm wrong , someone please let me know.