Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too much focus on the Young Adult/Adult life stage

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    WillowG145 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link, @Gruffman ... Something new to learn... I can't really think of not writing in cursive... I really hope this will never happen in Italy... cursive have always been the "big kids" writing for my class. Writing in cursive is obligatory outside elementary school anyway. And even in elementary school, you can only not write in cursive if is told explicity.

With the advent of the internet, and e-mail, and texting many schools think hand writing is a thing of the past. I do not, and since I homeschool, I teach my kids how to write in cursive. The hubby and I also have them write at least one letter week to their grandparents and friends. :) And we put them in the mail.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    ShaddBoiShaddBoi Posts: 795 Member
    I have not added a single teen to my game yet, because, as you said, it's hard to tell them apart from the young adults. I keep hoping that if we ever get a family pack, the teens will be fixed up a bit. From what I've seen, it looks like teens are pretty much young adults in disguise, with homework obligations to accomplish. I hope we get back some of the teen play options that we had in 3. I'm not getting my hopes up for cars, but I loved the "learn to drive" interaction in 3.

I would also love to see more options for the elders, and physical features that make them look like elders. Kind of like what Sims 3 did in Generations expansion. Elders need more to do, like maybe watching old time television (black n white), playing bingo, and allowing grandchildren to spend the night.
  • Options
    @ShaddBoi, My two favorite lifestages in Sims 2 where toddlers and teens. And again, the same in Sims 3. This version ruined both for me. And I would love to see elders playing bingo. You could build a Bingo hall too!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    To be fair, even in the wee early 90s when I learned cursive, it was never required for anything outside of that very class. And outside of that very class, I promptly never used it again. So it's not some new trend or anything. I've always preferred clear and easy to read print, even before having a computer. Never saw the point of cursive, to be honest.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    @GoldenBuffy Agreed. I loved the S3 teens...particularly the stink juice and the mischief that they could get into. I also liked their prom night and such.

As for elders, we need something else for them to do other than going skinny dipping at the bluffs haha
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    But my thing is when you focus on kids stuff, I'm always looking at content. "Well Adults can do that too."

and Even adult content, "Well kids can do that too."

I mean I love that Teens are kind of Young adults, I would be devastated if Teens didn't have access to the revealing adult clothing.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    ShaddBoi wrote: »
    @GoldenBuffy Agreed. I loved the S3 teens...particularly the stink juice and the mischief that they could get into. I also liked their prom night and such.

As for elders, we need something else for them to do other than going skinny dipping at the bluffs haha

Ha, ha! I haven't even played with elders in S4. I love sending my "evil" teen sims out to pull pranks around the town. It's so much fun!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    @GoldenBuffy I loved the egg house interaction in 3. My teens were always up to no good!

Btw, what is that gif in your signature from? Looks like some kind of horror movie?
  • Options
    @ShaddBoi, right now I have two teens in my town who love to get up to no good! All my other teens are goodie two shoes.

My gif is from this awesome show "Stranger Things" on Netflix. I love, love, love it! Can't wait for season two. For me it falls along the lines of a horror/thriller/mystery. And it's set in the early 80's.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    LenaDieters11LenaDieters11 Posts: 1,346 Member
    Kids room stuff was a step in the right direction....but obviously not enough. We need a lot more.
  • Options
    Kids room stuff was a step in the right direction....but obviously not enough. We need a lot more.

Still waiting for our treehouse!
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    carly552 wrote: »
    The Young adult stage (your 20s) and adult stage is not the only stage you go through in life.
    But it is the largest portion of your life.
    If you think of being an young adult/adult, as being from 18-60
    You're only a baby for about 12 months, and a toddler for 3 years, then a child for 7 years, and a teen for only 5 years (even though it sticks with you, and stands out for the rest of your life).
    Someone in their 60's isn't really an "elder," they're sort of a transition to elder, 70's, 80's, and if you make it that far, 90's are the real elder years.
    Yes, not the only stage, but certainly the longest, and where quite a lot generally happens (jobs, marriage, kids, etc)

[snip]
    The YA stage, your 20s, is only ten years of your life. In my experience you're a YA between 20-37, after that your life is about aging, feeling you are getting older. So in fact the largest part of your life, if your lucky, you're not young. In the game I do prefer playing that younger stage by the way, because it's the stage where you're not settled yet. Anything can happen, also in the partner department. So I don't mind personally they focus on that, but I do regret the other life stages aren't defined better.
    Neia wrote: »
    I love that children and teens are able to use most of the new SP/GP/EP objects. That's one thing they are doing right with TS4 in my mind.
    For me that only goes for the instruments and gardening. I don't need them to do everything an adult can. In fact there's a mod for this now in TS3 and I'm going to really make a choice which things I want my kids being able to do.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Just because EA earlier used the term "life simulation" as one of the many ways to describe the game this doesn't mean that EA's goal was to focus equally on all age groups or make the game as realistic as possible. (Other descriptions included "dollhouse game" and supernaturals have always been added all the time too.)

The Sims 4 is even more than the earlier Sims games targeted at young teens and the things which young teens love. Therefore it is mainly about partying and not about babysitting for babies and toddlers which is something that young teens mainly only do for money. Teens are given the same height as young adults because teens want to look like adults. So why use extra money on giving them a lower height which maybe would be more realistic but which they don't like for themselves anyway?

Adult simmers in this forum didn't want neither TS3 nor TS4 to be made at all. They just wanted more EPs for the previous games instead. But now at least they for nostalgic reasons want their favorite EPs like Pets, Seasons or University to be released also for TS4 so they can have as much as possible back from their previous Sims game. But EA and the developers don't just want to make the same game again. So they attempt to make a new game even more focused on being a game for young teen simmers and about their dreams. Fast changing emotions are also something that most young teens are very familiar with. So fast changing emotions are also an important part of TS4.

I am not sure that Pets, Seasons or University ever will be released for TS4. Obviously EA didn't see them as the most important EPs to make because then they would have been released already. But if EA runs out of other ideas then EA maybe will make (some of) them anyway.

Just remember that people in this forum only buy a few hundred copies of each game or expansion while the game is supposed to sell millions of copies all over the world. Therefore we can't really blame EA for caring more about making a more limited game about young teens, young adults and partying and targeted at new young teen simmers instead of being targeted mainly at elder veteran simmers who just want previous content to return for nostalgic reasons if EA knows that most of the Sims games are bought for or by young teens who dream about a life focused on partying instead of a life focused on boring work and babysitting.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Summer camp aren't that much a thing in Italy, too. There are some, but mostly are managed by nuns or Catholic organization, mostly under the Don Bosco association, or the Scout. At least for my experience.

Prom is something most italian laugh off as the classical american teen movie stuff. I was surprised it was a real thing, I must admit.

Church camps are a thing in Australia, I know at least the Uniting church does. And we have Scouts too, for both boys and girls, often together.

First I think cursive is absolutely useless to learn. I'm glad kids are not learning it today. Waste of time.
    It's a waste of time learning to write like an adult?
    Are you spending your adult life writing like a child?

Also, if you don't learn to write it, it makes it so much harder to read, which means future generations will struggle to read the written words of the past.

JoAnne65 wrote: »
    The YA stage, your 20s, is only ten years of your life. In my experience you're a YA between 20-37,
    Did you miss the part where I'm treating young adult and adult as one thing? Combine them, and they are the largest portion of your life (unless you live to 130)

And you're actually an young adult from 18, since that is when you get to do adult things (voting, drinking, get married, paying taxes, being treated like an adult, able to join the army, etc), though I guess you could almost be classed as a young adult at 16, since you can drive, have a job, leave school, drink (in some countries).

In Australia, you're an adult from 18 to 60, from 60, you're a senior citizen

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I wish the whims would be more connected to the sims age. I often ignored the midlife crisis in Sims 3, but if they brought it back, I think I would enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Summer camp aren't that much a thing in Italy, too. There are some, but mostly are managed by nuns or Catholic organization, mostly under the Don Bosco association, or the Scout. At least for my experience.

Prom is something most italian laugh off as the classical american teen movie stuff. I was surprised it was a real thing, I must admit.

Church camps are a thing in Australia, I know at least the Uniting church does. And we have Scouts too, for both boys and girls, often together.

First I think cursive is absolutely useless to learn. I'm glad kids are not learning it today. Waste of time.
    It's a waste of time learning to write like an adult?
    Are you spending your adult life writing like a child?

Also, if you don't learn to write it, it makes it so much harder to read, which means future generations will struggle to read the written words of the past.

The YA stage, your 20s, is only ten years of your life. In my experience you're a YA between 20-37,
    Did you miss the part where I'm treating young adult and adult as one thing? Combine them, and they are the largest portion of your life (unless you live to 130)

And you're actually an young adult from 18, since that is when you get to do adult things (voting, drinking, get married, paying taxes, being treated like an adult, able to join the army, etc), though I guess you could almost be classed as a young adult at 16, since you can drive, have a job, leave school, drink (in some countries).

In Australia, you're an adult from 18 to 60, from 60, you're a senior citizen
    No, I didn't miss that, but I think it's nonsense to treat Y and A as one thing. In fact in my opinion the game would be better of calling those life stages adult and middle aged. And those are two very different life stages in real life. I don't think it really matters whether you consider your YA in the game an 18 year old or a 20 year old, you'll find people have different ages in their minds concerning the stages which is fine of course.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2016
    Until a TS4 "adult" is more than a "young adult with a few wrinkles", and starts to focus on midlife roles, I'm going to go with this "adult might as well be young adult" line too.

What kind of midlife roles? I'm an Adult now IRL, but I don't know what those would be that are different from being a Young Adult. (I do know that my peers look older than we did 20 years ago, though!) FWIW, I go by the definitions used in Sociology and Psychology, which draw the line between Young Adult and Adult at 39/40.

I'd be interested in knowing if any settings like time to tiredness differ in-game between YA and Adult.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    I wish the whims would be more connected to the sims age. I often ignored the midlife crisis in Sims 3, but if they brought it back, I think I would enjoy it.

I agree. Whims should def be more age specific! Should not be just dictated by traits.
  • Options
    Of course, we are all exactly the same as when we were 20. Young at heart and all, age is just a number. The thing is, it's not. And as for me, that's absolutely not a negative thing in every respect.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Of course, we are all exactly the same as when we were 20. Young at heart and all, age is just a number. The thing is, it's not. And as for me, that's absolutely not a negative thing in every respect.

Oh for sure! As individuals we change, and I agree that it's a good thing. I'm a different person now in some ways than I was 25, 30 years ago - my tastes have changed, my goals in life have shifted (that second one being something easy to make happen in Sims 4, which I particularly like). I'm mostly curious what people would generalize into differences between "young adult" and "adult". "Midlife crisis" is more common in fiction than reality, to the extent that making that age-defining would be like making all Sims non-heretosexual. If it's make a "thing" for Adults, I'd personally prefer the chance of it to be lower than it was in Sims 3. (With a way to nudge the system to make it happen for a particular Sim, for a storyline.) So anyway, I'd really like to hear other people's ideas of how they'd like to see YA and Adult more differentiated!
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NetteNette Posts: 205 Member
    As I say in all posts similar to this: Teens used to have ACNE in previous games. They could run away from home. Throw tantrums. Get arrested. Alot is missing now.
  • Options
    @Nette I agree I miss those things. The only thing I hated was the pranks...yes, it can be fun if a teenager is a prankster when it fits their personality. However, in Sims 3 all teenagers would play pranks....constantly and all my appliances would break/get dirty every few seconds.
  • Options
    budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    I want the liberation of the babies! #babyliberation Once the babies are freed once again, then we need more clothing options for them, Everyday, Sleep, Outwear (if we get Seasons), and possibly Swim, so they can have some fun in a splash pool in their back or front yards. I also missing bathing them in the skin, and they could also have a baby bath tub, and when they learn to sit up and crawl, then a bath seat, high chair, walker, toys, baby snacks, the whole nine yards.

Toddlers can be bathed in the tub, have booster seat for the table, toddler books to read and color in, toddler beds, little potty lips for the toilet so they can be potty trained if it wasn't something done when they were still bigger babies, and again, the whole nine yards for them as well!

Kids can be kids again! The ability to play Tag, Miss Mary Mac, Cops n Robbers, hopscotch, hide n go seek, fly kites, draw on the sidewalk with chalk, etc. They still could use their imagination, and bring back gaming consoles.

Teens could be teens again, that awkward time between childhood and adulthood. Sleep overs, hanging out with friends, after school activities, and more.

There is so much more that they could flesh out for all lifestages, adding to and making the game a way better experience. The question is, will they actually do it?

I also miss bathing them in the skin :D
    Good times!