Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too much focus on the Young Adult/Adult life stage

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Roisinh wrote: »
    I agree. I usually play legacy style. So all this focus on young adult/adulthood plum. It's interesting for a while but gets repetitive. I just spent $30 on the two newest stuff packs and it made basically no difference to my game.
    I would like much more support in the game for the legacy style too. But without that I find the legacy style too boring. It isn't EA's intention that we play this way because the game is targeted at casual gamers even more than the previous games were.

(Casual gamers are gamers who only play their games shortly and not so often. In the Sims games they are supposed to mainly have fun making sims and building houses and only use the gameplay quite little or only rarely when they are bored with creating sims and houses.)

Alas EA seems to be right because I believe that the SPs sell very well. So the majority of simmers probably create more than they play.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Roisinh wrote: »
    I agree. I usually play legacy style. So all this focus on young adult/adulthood plum. It's interesting for a while but gets repetitive. I just spent $30 on the two newest stuff packs and it made basically no difference to my game.
    I would like much more support in the game for the legacy style too. But without that I find the legacy style too boring. It isn't EA's intention that we play this way because the game is targeted at casual gamers even more than the previous games were.

(Casual gamers are gamers who only play their games shortly and not so often. In the Sims games they are supposed to mainly have fun making sims and building houses and only use the gameplay quite little or only rarely when they are bored with creating sims and houses.)

Alas EA seems to be right because I believe that the SPs sell very well. So the majority of simmers probably create more than they play.

Interesting points.

Sadly there are a lot of Simmers who I have spoke to who say that they only enjoy TS4 for CAS which seems to be it's only major feature

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    QuiteIzzzyQuiteIzzzy Posts: 293 Member
    @LenaDieters11 but there is an option to teach kid swimming in the pool. But I get your point. There isn't many activities for children and not many family oriented options in game.

@Roisinh I played TS2 like mad for many years, and I watched many TS3 let's plays and challenges on Youtube (my computer is too weak for TS3, so I couldn't play myself). Everything becomes repetitive after some time. TS2 was more playable, and TS3 had many more options in game, but still, after few generations it all got boring. The only way to improve gaming experience through sims generation is to change the game itself through passing time in sims world. I mean to implement different decades (like 1950, 1960, 1970 etc, with different styles in fashion, different social rules, different furniture and devices) or even different ages like Middleages or ancient times, or Victorian Epoque. It is a lot of work and it will cost a lot, so it won't happen, but one can dream ;)
    I'm not totally worthless, I can be used as a bad example.

Adorno Family from Rebuilding Worlds
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited September 2016
    QuiteIzzzy wrote: »
    @LenaDieters11 but there is an option to teach kid swimming in the pool. But I get your point. There isn't many activities for children and not many family oriented options in game.

@Roisinh I played TS2 like mad for many years, and I watched many TS3 let's plays and challenges on Youtube (my computer is too weak for TS3, so I couldn't play myself). Everything becomes repetitive after some time. TS2 was more playable, and TS3 had many more options in game, but still, after few generations it all got boring. The only way to improve gaming experience through sims generation is to change the game itself through passing time in sims world. I mean to implement different decades (like 1950, 1960, 1970 etc, with different styles in fashion, different social rules, different furniture and devices) or even different ages like Middleages or ancient times, or Victorian Epoque. It is a lot of work and it will cost a lot, so it won't happen, but one can dream ;)
    I've recently started my 21nd generation in Sims 3 and I haven't been bored during one of the other 20. Each generation had its own character, doing other stuff, other jobs, other adventures. Generation 21 will be no different. In fact I'm planning to do some same stuff with her as I did with heir 14 (Egypt) and I'm convinced it won't feel repetitive. Because she's a completely different character with a completely different background and story. That being said, I'd LOVE your idea of having the option to choose certain decades as a setting. That would be absolutely awesome. Hard to develop no doubt, but it would be utterly amazing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I've recently started my 21nd generation in Sims 3 and I haven't been bored during one of the other 20. Each generation had its own character, doing other stuff, other jobs, other adventures. Generation 21 will be no different. In fact I'm planning to do some same stuff with her as I did with heir 14 (Egypt) and I'm convinced it won't feel repetitive. Because she's a completely different character with a completely different background and story. That being said, I'd LOVE your idea of having the option to choose certain decades as a setting. That would be absolutely awesome. Hard to develop no doubt, but it would be utterly amazing.

21st?! Thats freaking awesome! Im still in my first but then again I got my game back from my old origin account a few months back. I cannot wait to be where you are with generations. Theres just so much you can do in the game. So many different people you can be.
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    @JoAnne65 21 generations or so...? Do you realize that in real world years it will be about 525 years? xD It's like from Middleages to present! I will love playing through different epoques, but in the Sims it won't happen. I know that in TS3 there is plenty to do if you have all EP, but still... 21 generations it is a lot. Respect. ;)

• Options
    @JoAnne65 21 generations or so...? Do you realize that in real world years it will be about 525 years? xD It's like from Middleages to present! I will love playing through different epoques, but in the Sims it won't happen. I know that in TS3 there is plenty to do if you have all EP, but still... 21 generations it is a lot. Respect. ;)
    Yes, exactly, that simply is not an ingredient in the game when you play generations, historical background. I don't really mind by the way, it's Sims, it's fantasy, but to be able to play the game in different historical settings would ad something very interesting. Like medieval, industrial revolution, roaring twenties, the fifties, the seventies, including of course technical possibilities and limitations in those areas. Thanks for the respect :mrgreen: (in fact it's been nothing more than simply continuing with my sims' kids since May 2010 instead of starting a new family with new sims ;))

@MzPigglyPooh Absolutely! It's why I'm still addicted :blush: I'll never get tired of that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Yes, exactly, that simply is not an ingredient in the game when you play generations, historical background. I don't really mind by the way, it's Sims, it's fantasy, but to be able to play the game in different historical settings would ad something very interesting. Like medieval, industrial revolution, roaring twenties, the fifties, the seventies, including of course technical possibilities and limitations in those areas. Thanks for the respect :mrgreen: (in fact it's been nothing more than simply continuing with my sims' kids since May 2010 instead of starting a new family with new sims ;))
    Different historical settings would be great. But it will probably never happen. Even more than this I would like more varied and tricky personalities to be included in the game though and I would also like many more challenges also about playing the elder sims who have been too boring to play in all the Sims games.
  • Options
    CharKittyBooCharKittyBoo Posts: 569 Member
    I want to feel like my sims are growing up, like they are learning certain skills because they went through a certain experience that taught them the lesson. There's really not a lot you can do in TS4 in terms of parenting, or at least-not a lot that makes any real difference. We really need more life stages. You can't get all that attached to a sim in 3 life stages (child, teen, YA/A, I don't count elder because you should know by then). I promise all the sims gurus out there that if we get toddlers into TS4 and an EP or GP focused on toddlers, children, and teens, the positive feedback will increase tremendously.
    Family player we got toddlers...my life is complete 1/12/17 best. day. ever.
    7ZDKKOkt.png
    My Plum Family Tree
  • Options
    Different historical settings would be great. But it will probably never happen. Even more than this I would like more varied and tricky personalities to be included in the game though and I would also like many more challenges also about playing the elder sims who have been too boring to play in all the Sims games.

About elders - we do not need revolution to improve this life stage. I have some simply ideas. For example: every sim has his own statistics. You can see how many times he was happy/unconfortable/angry, etc. So... if your sim during his life was mainly happy he receives a "happy trait" when he ages to elder. If he was mainly angry or sad he receives a "grumpy trait".

• Options
    I would help if we at least would be able to disable phones and cars. The way it is now, in both 3 and 4, it's impossible to completely play old style. At one point a phone will ring :s
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

About elders - we do not need revolution to improve this life stage. I have some simply ideas. For example: every sim has his own statistics. You can see how many times he was happy/unconfortable/angry, etc. So... if your sim during his life was mainly happy he receives a "happy trait" when he ages to elder. If he was mainly angry or sad he receives a "grumpy trait".
    Yes! Great idea as well.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Yes! Great idea as well.

Thanks ;)

And it can go on. If your sim (not only the elder one) has few heartbreaks, or somebody yells at him constantly, he receives another trait. For example: "trust issues". Or if you play your sims as very good and faithful couple they recieve trait "faithful". It's like moodlets in TS3. I think that 3 traits in CAS is too less, so it would be fun to collect more traits just during gameplay. Of course sometimes your sim will get trait you don't want him to have, so there can be some kind of elixirs to remove them. You know, just to keep everyone happy.^^'

• Options
    edited September 2016

Yes! Great idea as well.

Thanks ;)

And it can go on. If your sim (not only the elder one) has few heartbreaks, or somebody yells at him constantly, he receives another trait. For example: "trust issues". Or if you play your sims as very good and faithful couple they recieve trait "faithful". It's like moodlets in TS3. I think that 3 traits in CAS is too less, so it would be fun to collect more traits just during gameplay. Of course sometimes your sim will get trait you don't want him to have, so there can be some kind of elixirs to remove them. You know, just to keep everyone happy.^^'
    Just one restriction: I wouldn't want drastic personality changes. Like a loner becoming a party animal when he for some reason interacted with a certain amount of people. I'd prefer to explore the edges of a personality, having a sim do things they may not like, without changing them. Like having a sim who hates kids get triplets. I'd prefer to see him suffer, not become a kids lover >:)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Yes! Great idea as well.

Thanks ;)

Just one restriction: I wouldn't want drastic personality changes. Like a loner becoming a party animal when he for some reason interacted with a cetain amount of people. I'd prefer to explore the edges of a personality, having a sim do things they may not like, without changing them. Like having a sim who hates kids get triplets. I'd prefer to see him suffer, not become a kids lover >:)

Well said! :smiley:

I do love how in TS3 Sims who hate children feel awkward around them, even I can relate to that sometimes ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options

Yes! Great idea as well.

Thanks ;)

Just one restriction: I wouldn't want drastic personality changes. Like a loner becoming a party animal when he for some reason interacted with a cetain amount of people. I'd prefer to explore the edges of a personality, having a sim do things they may not like, without changing them. Like having a sim who hates kids get triplets. I'd prefer to see him suffer, not become a kids lover >:)

Well said! :smiley:

I do love how in TS3 Sims who hate children feel awkward around them, even I can relate to that sometimes ;)
    :D
    (I think in fact they could even do it better than in Sims 3)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    lisamtownlisamtown Posts: 206 Member
    cursive writing is a must... What are you going to do if you are at some place and they need you to sign? They won't accept printing your name... Something to think about!!!! :wink:
    graphics-wallet-540882.gif
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Sadly there are a lot of Simmers who I have spoke to who say that they only enjoy TS4 for CAS which seems to be it's only major feature :disappointed:

But ... but ... @king_of_simcity7

We also have .... EMOTIONS!

Emoticons.gifc200_zpshf1te3ql.gif

and ... don't forget the PARTIES!

dance-party-dj-smiley-emoticon_zpsmbibdvgp.gif
  • Options
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Sadly there are a lot of Simmers who I have spoke to who say that they only enjoy TS4 for CAS which seems to be it's only major feature :disappointed:

But ... but ... @king_of_simcity7

We also have .... EMOTIONS!

Emoticons.gifc200_zpshf1te3ql.gif

and ... don't forget the PARTIES!

dance-party-dj-smiley-emoticon_zpsmbibdvgp.gif

Reminds me of this meme I saw ages ago: ;)

1a2sd3.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Interesting points.

Sadly there are a lot of Simmers who I have spoke to who say that they only enjoy TS4 for CAS which seems to be it's only major feature

In all seriousness, CAS is probably the Sims4 best feature to date. But I do wish it could have incorporated some of Sims3 in it, specifically ... sliders for skin tone, eye color and hair color and more options for hair ... like highlights. Even with the clay style of hair for Sims4, highlights still could have been incorporated in.

Body hair for male sims. Every sim game starts off with the fresh shaved metro-sexual male sim.

The club feature from GT is also very good. I hope it is incorporated into Sims5 as well.

• Options
    CAS is amazing but build mode too. I love building in TS4. Of course, there are some things missing like L shaped stairs, or elevators, or different high of fundations, but still it is very good.
    I remember my first impression about this constantly changing moods sims. I thought they are very disturbed and suffer from some kind of mental disorder xD But then I got used to it. I even say that now I develop stronger attachment to TS4 sims, than to TS2 ones.

• Options
    Interesting points.

In all seriousness, CAS is probably the Sims4 best feature to date. But I do wish it could have incorporated some of Sims3 in it, specifically ... sliders for skin tone, eye color and hair color and more options for hair ... like highlights. Even with the clay style of hair for Sims4, highlights still could have been incorporated in.

Body hair for male sims. Every sim game starts off with the fresh shaved metro-sexual male sim.

The club feature from GT is also very good. I hope it is incorporated into Sims5 as well.
    Yes, very much agreed.
    And indeed, I'd love the building tools Sims 4 came with, but without CASt and terrain tools it just doesn't appeal to me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Interesting points.

I myself like the sliders in TS3 and I use them for Sim's weight or skin tone.

Height sliders get requested from time to time, I heard someone made a mod for TS4 to have 'shorter teens' but I am not too desperate to see that in The Sims and I would probably keep the default heights anyway
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    The simple fact is, is that the YA and adult stage are the longest stages of your life. Of course more focus would be on those two stages. Forty to fifty years.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    The simple fact is, is that the YA and adult stage are the longest stages of your life. Of course more focus would be on those two stages. Forty to fifty years.
    I would think that YA could be 18 to 35 and adult then 36 to 55. Elders are at least from 60 to 100 which isn't shorter (even though the exact limits between the age groups depend on the persons who set them).

The real reason why the game focuses on YA and adult is that teens and young adults is the game's target group and young people are supposed to be mostly interested in their own near future where YA is meant to be about life as students or singles before they get a real family of their own and adults is mainly about the life as parents. The life after their children have grown up is of no interest for young people. So there isn't much focus on elders in the game.