Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do people even want cars?

LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
edited August 2016 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Think: Cars.

Think: Closed world/Open world.

Now in Sims 1, what did cars do? They turned up at your door and took you to work, getting more expensive as your job progressed. Occasionally they passed by your house, but you didn't use them and neither did anybody else in the neighbourhood. They were purely aesthetic.

They worked similarly in Sims 2 and Sims 3, which was Open World; you could use them to carpool with your buddies and Woo-Hoo in them. Expensive cars were cooler and faster. Fair enough.

Sims 4 is Closed World, and once again, cars are basically more aesthetic than ever, since you take a walk to the kerb and disappear to get to work. And yet people ask for cars and insist that the game is inferior without them.

But what use would they be? Loading screens are our carpools now. You don't even finish a meal before you go to the loading screen, so you can't miss the car. Nobody in this world or any other likes loading screens, but they don't exactly go wild over lag either. What possible use are cars? How could they make a game with Closed Word BETTER, apart from being purely aesthetic, wasting good hot-tub space in your driveway? WHY DOES ANYBODY WANT THEM?!
Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.

Comments

• Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I have to admit, that I only want cars for decorations to make some public lots look more realistic having parked cars in front of them. And also if I want to build a house with a garage and a car in front or inside the garage. The little toy cars can be enlarged and look fine to me. :)
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2016
    Sims 2 wasn't open world. Cars in this game could work like those did, with a lot of gameplay that isn't watching cars commute.

Anyway, you might want to post this in a different forum category - this one's for computer help.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Immersion.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2016
    Loanet wrote: »
    Think: Cars.

Think: Closed world/Open world.

Now in Sims 1, what did cars do? They turned up at your door and took you to work, getting more expensive as your job progressed. Occasionally they passed by your house, but you didn't use them and neither did anybody else in the neighbourhood. They were purely aesthetic.

They worked similarly in Sims 2 and Sims 3, which was Open World; you could use them to carpool with your buddies and Woo-Hoo in them. Expensive cars were cooler and faster. Fair enough.

Sims 4 is Closed World, and once again, cars are basically more aesthetic than ever, since you take a walk to the kerb and disappear to get to work. And yet people ask for cars and insist that the game is inferior without them.

But what use would they be? Loading screens are our carpools now. You don't even finish a meal before you go to the loading screen, so you can't miss the car. Nobody in this world or any other likes loading screens, but they don't exactly go wild over lag either. What possible use are cars? How could they make a game with Closed Word BETTER, apart from being purely aesthetic, wasting good hot-tub space in your driveway? WHY DOES ANYBODY WANT THEM?!

For realistic purposes plus I want them so sims can snuggle,cuddle,kiss,makeout, woohoo and try for a baby.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    op cars are an important part of the game since the sims2 nightlife and the sims3 and for story makers it would had more realisme to there story as well as for some simmers that makes there own cc or likes cc would love to have there rl car in there sim game.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Since the world is closed and the lots are smaller there is no real reason for them except decor and another WooHoo spot.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Personally, I want cars more for immersion purposes (much like TS2). It's annoying how sims disappear into thin air as soon as they set foot outside of their house. And I miss seeing the school bus picking up my kids too. Besides, there are a lot more activities/interactions they could give us that involve cars and could expand gameplay too. They could add a mechanic career, sims could wash their cars, sit on top of the hood watching the stars with other sims, go on roadtrips, things like that.

Not to mention, in TS4 the neighborhoods are starting to get quite large so it can take a while for sims to run to the edge before disappearing, so cars could come in handy, unlike TS2 where they would disappear almost immediately because you could only see a tiny portion of the road in front of your lot. So they could be a mix of TS2 and TS3: a bit of immersion and a bit of transportation.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Immersion.

Your sig is gorgeous
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    It doesn't take them long to run to the edge unless they are fat.
  • Options
    SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    why not? would be nice to have cars in the sims 4, altho i agree it's probably not the most important thing, but it would still be a nice addition :)
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The thing is, if people got cars in their drives, they would start getting all uppity - more so - than ever about "I want to drive cars."

Besides, I don't have a 5x2 space - it's taken up by my greenhouse, which is much more useful.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I'd like them because one of my Sims owned a mechanics garage in TS2 and TS3, fixing up cars and selling them for a profit. He got them from the junkyard (with the savvier seller mod) and took them home and worked on the engines and the body. There are lots of ways cars could provide new content:

- Mechanics interactions: imagine the Dad and son working on a car together at the weekends and the Dad gives his son the keys when they're done!
    - Car maintenance: cars could need servicing to keep them running smoothly. Adults could teach teens how to change the oil and stuff (with funny results!).
    - Cars could be hand-washed and waxed. A good way for teens and students to raise money?
    - Upgrades - Think Need for Speed and GTA! Add different coats to your car: metallic; neon; pearlescent. Add decals like racing stripes! Upgrade your rims and add a super-bouncy suspension!
    - Radio - Sit in the car and chill out listening to the radio, or turn up the volume for a rave. Upgrade the speakers to really get the bass pumping! (See the one in The Urbz).
    - Make out and woohoo in the car!
    - Driving lessons!
    - Hide in the car when embarrassed.
    - Drive in movie theatres!
    - Have different cars to suit your Sims' lifestyle. Do they have a rusted old junk car? A cute mini? A family car? A super-car? A bat-mobile? Different cars could give different buffs and/or emotions.

We only had an open world in TS3 but cars have been a constant in the Sims since day 1. We had the carpool in TS1, we had cars that pulled off the driveway in TS2. We do not need an open world to justify the existence of cars in the game. It was never an issue before. Cars are a status symbol. An everyday object. Learning to drive is a right-of-passage. Woohooing in, crying in, making out in, hiding in... all these things could add story-telling opportunities to a game! Most people who've watched Titanic will remember THAT scene with the car, right? But you didn't see Rose and Jack complaining they couldn't drive it about on the deck. ;)

The mechanic's car is one of my all time favourite objects and I'd desperately like to have it back.

screenshot_original.jpg

sims2_freizeit_auto_big.jpg%22width=600%22

Screenshot-48-3.jpg

Screenshot-50-3.jpg

• Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Personally, I want cars more for immersion purposes (much like TS2). It's annoying how sims disappear into thin air as soon as they set foot outside of their house. And I miss seeing the school bus picking up my kids too. Besides, there are a lot more activities/interactions they could give us that involve cars and could expand gameplay too. They could add a mechanic career, sims could wash their cars, sit on top of the hood watching the stars with other sims, go on roadtrips, things like that.

Not to mention, in TS4 the neighborhoods are starting to get quite large so it can take a while for sims to run to the edge before disappearing, so cars could come in handy, unlike TS2 where they would disappear almost immediately because you could only see a tiny portion of the road in front of your lot. So they could be a mix of TS2 and TS3: a bit of immersion and a bit of transportation.

I read your post after writing my own. I love the idea of sitting on the hood watching the stars!
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    It would be nice to have a transport option for walking within neighborhoods. Because some of them actually are spacious enough to make me think "if only I had a car, or even a bike" when having a sim go from end-to-end in search of collectables.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2016
    KatyJay88 wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Immersion.

Your sig is gorgeous
    Thanks, yes, the ruin at night is amazing.
    @Cinderellimouse Awesome post. And no @Loanet , I don't agree. I love and miss open world in this game, I love driving my car through it, but Sims 2 proves a world doesn't have to be open for cars to be important.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I'd like them because one of my Sims owned a mechanics garage in TS2 and TS3, fixing up cars and selling them for a profit. He got them from the junkyard (with the savvier seller mod) and took them home and worked on the engines and the body. There are lots of ways cars could provide new content:

- Mechanics interactions: imagine the Dad and son working on a car together at the weekends and the Dad gives his son the keys when they're done!
    - Car maintenance: cars could need servicing to keep them running smoothly. Adults could teach teens how to change the oil and stuff (with funny results!).
    - Cars could be hand-washed and waxed. A good way for teens and students to raise money?
    - Upgrades - Think Need for Speed and GTA! Add different coats to your car: metallic; neon; pearlescent. Add decals like racing stripes! Upgrade your rims and add a super-bouncy suspension!
    - Radio - Sit in the car and chill out listening to the radio, or turn up the volume for a rave. Upgrade the speakers to really get the bass pumping! (See the one in The Urbz).
    - Driving lessons!
    - Have different cars to suit your Sims' lifestyle. Do they have a rusted old junk car? A cute mini? A family car? A super-car? A bat-mobile? Different cars could give different buffs and/or emotions.

We only had an open world in TS3 but cars have been a constant in the Sims since day 1. We had the carpool in TS1, we had cars that pulled off the driveway in TS2. We do not need an open world to justify the existence of cars in the game. It was never an issue before. Cars are a status symbol. An everyday object. Learning to drive is a right-of-passage. Woohooing in, crying in, making out in, hiding in... all these things could add story-telling opportunities to a game! Most people who've watched Titanic will remember THAT scene with the car, right? But you didn't see Rose and Jack complaining they couldn't drive it about on the deck. ;)

The mechanic's car is one of my all time favourite objects and I'd desperately like to have it back.

I did not know there was a fix 'em up car in ts3! I loved that in ts2 and I always wanted that in ts3. Where did you find it? Is it in the junkyard?
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    Cars are kind of useless since you can just teleport where ever, but I'd like cars to just for aesthetic purposes and the new gameplay they could provide.

However, I don't know how they'd make them work, especially in Windenburg. The old town and island neighborhood don't have any lots attached to a road. Then willow creek, the neighborhood that the Pancakes live in, that street is cut off by bollards. Then we have the raised sidewalks with grass sections that a driveway would have to cut in to. They could park on the street, but I don't think all the streets are wide enough to park on and still have cars driving by...

But IF they do cars, they better have animations and gameplay options. Doors opening, being able to just sit in it and listen to the radio, going for a spin around the neighborhood, installing an alarm, a new woohoo spot... If they're like the sims 3 where sims teleport inside and put the cars in their pocket, then I don't want them. I'd rather have no cars at all than have cars like the sims 3.
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,288 Member
  • Options
    Since the world is closed and the lots are smaller there is no real reason for them except decor and another WooHoo spot.

They can still drive a small distance before they hit a loading screen. Their needed for machinima.
  • Options
    Sel wrote: »
    why not? would be nice to have cars in the sims 4, altho i agree it's probably not the most important thing, but it would still be a nice addition :)

Cars would be a major milestone to the game just like restaurants were.
  • Options
    Bagoas77 wrote: »

- Driving lessons!

I did not know there was a fix 'em up car in ts3! I loved that in ts2 and I always wanted that in ts3. Where did you find it? Is it in the junkyard?

It came from the store thanks to SimGuruCopeland.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    @Bagoas77, the one from TS3 came with the Roaring Heights world... :)

Danke. I shall investigate.
  • Options
    CunninghamCunningham Posts: 1,310 Member
    I'm not bothered after getting used to not having them. However I do have custom content cars in my driveway.
    'I'm Just Another Plum Faced Irishman, Am I Not?'
    "Dr Moose's daycare challenge "
    The Sims 3 - Wishlist/Top5
    oGh7KNi.gif
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,288 Member
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    @Bagoas77, the one from TS3 came with the Roaring Heights world... :)

Danke. I shall investigate.

You're welcome... :)
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    immersion
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.