Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

'Family Play' isn't just toddlers

Comments

• Options
    the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    Like, I was SAYING...

Maxis needs to release a statement of some sort.
    This is an embarrassment. For their company. And for the franchise.
    Period.
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    The Sims community could be more vocal, IMO.
    Maxis gets away with a lot of stuff.

Vocal? Vocal should be the rightful url for this forum, to be honest. TheVocalSims.com :smiley:
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

The part of the Sims community that is upset about absence of toddlers is vocal. But I hope you can understand that many of us enjoy the game as it is and don't necessarily feel that our a few-days-long life stage needed by other people than us in a video game is what we want to take a big stand on, where we want our energy to go.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member

There are, I've read it somewhere but the number is being disputed, about five million sold copies of Sims4. Only a fraction of that number visit the online community forums. It's players who care enough to invest time to have their questions answered or meet other players who populate this forum. I would be interested in how many active members are here. If, just a guestimate, 4,5 million players are playing and 500.000 are on here and 25.000 are passionate about toddlers- it won't impress upper echelon management one tiny bit. Not enough to push for toddlers if (again just an example) Sims3 telemetry showed them that Seasons sold much better than Generations. Numbers tell them, true or not, that a lot of people are happy as clams without toddlers, so why bother? Developers and gurus do what their bosses want them to do or they'll lose their jobs.
  • Options

Vocal? Vocal should be the rightful url for this forum, to be honest. TheVocalSims.com :smiley:

Well, that makes it all the more disgraceful.
    You have a forum of people discussing an issue and STILL nothing is said about it?
    Yet, they expect us to continue to support their product?
  • Options
    Like, I was SAYING...

Period.

Their usual statement is: "we can't talk about future content". As for statements on why toddlers where left out, Rachel Franklin already said everything that she could say about it.
    KEBB11a.png
  • Options
    MorriSan wrote: »

There are, I've read it somewhere but the number is being disputed, about five million sold copies of Sims4. Only a fraction of that number visit the online community forums. It's players who care enough to invest time to have their questions answered or meet other players who populate this forum. I would be interested in how many active members are here. If, just a guestimate, 4,5 million players are playing and 500.000 are on here and 25.000 are passionate about toddlers- it won't impress upper echelon management one tiny bit. Not enough to push for toddlers if (again just an example) Sims3 telemetry showed them that Seasons sold much better than Generations. Numbers tell them, true or not, that a lot of people are happy as clams without toddlers, so why bother? Developers and gurus do what their bosses want them to do or they'll lose their jobs.

It's all mess, no matter how you put it, IMO.
  • Options

The part of the Sims community that is upset about absence of toddlers is vocal. But I hope you can understand that many of us enjoy the game as it is and don't necessarily feel that our a few-days-long life stage needed by other people than us in a video game is what we want to take a big stand on, where we want our energy to go.

I respect that.
    And I think anyone with some sense, should realize that a supporter of the toddler stage does not mean others can't enjoy the game. Or shouldn't be enjoying the game. No one wants Maxis to go down in flames. We may not get another Sims if they went out of business.

But for me, there is TRUTH, my truth, of the game not being family orientated. In the least.
    It plays like a social media, online, bachelor, type of gameplay.
  • Options

You have a forum of people discussing an issue and STILL nothing is said about it?

The point is: I've noticed that you use "us" like all of us here are mad or feel the same about the toddler issue or the game itself.
    A LOT of players do really enjoy TS4 and will support the product even with toddler still missing, maybe waiting for them to make a happy return or maybe wishing they're never coming at all. We're all different and we all want different things, we play differently too. But this game still has a lot of supporters and satisfied or just contempt players.
    KEBB11a.png
  • Options

In a democratic society it isn't the loudest voice that counts, it is the number.
  • Options
    NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    edited June 2016

That's because it's a DISCUSSION. I seriously doubt boycotting will happen, nor will there be an angry mob outside their workplace demanding toddlers. Just cross your fingers and hope they add them in eventually.

Goodness gracious they have already said all there is to say on toddlers. And do they expect us to continue support? Well duh! We're all just consumers. We're going to buy what we want to see or what we like, what we find attractive to us etc. We've done our part and they have done theirs by releasing the game.
  • Options
    Look, I'll continue to say what I want. And you could just disagree... no one is forcing you to have my opinion, Noogster.
    So I'd advise you to STEP off. The same way I'm respecting your GRAND OL TIME with the game, you will RESPECT my views on the game. Period.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Well I have to agree that toddlers aren't the only family thing lacking in the Sims 4. They are just the tip of the iceberg. Babies are boring, children can't play, teens and elders look like clones of adults and young adults, and Sims couldn't care less what happens to their family members. Plus there is the bloody incest that occurs between family members because some relationships aren't recognized in the family tree. I mean there isn't even real romantic interactions between couples anymore. It looks like Sims have cooties with each other with how lame makeouts are on the couch and bed. Sims can't even cuddle with each other. :( Plus they look like ducks when kissing. So am I happy how family play has been treated in the Sims 4? No I'm not. It's an embarrassment especially for a franchise that has been around for 16 years and for an AAA game. I don't find Sims realistic or relatable. That's the thing about life simulation games, it is hard making it appear like real life. Right now the Sims 4 is not depicting real life for me or even an entertaining game yet. It is depicting a sitcom show which can be very annoying. I can honestly say in my opinion, the Sims 4 has the worst version of family play ever to hit the series. Sometimes I wish it could have been called the Sims Singles, but that seems to be the only lifestyle the Sims 4 is doing decently at. It is failing at the romantic and family aspects that should bring two or more Sims together with. That is why when you read most stories, people are playing with only one Sims because that is mainly the only type of gameplay the game allows. It is not built for more than one Sims play between the culling and the relationship culling and ghost culling and employee culling and the small hoods. The game just isn't built for growth. It is stunted to single Sim gameplay only. That is what I find the most sad.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Mizz_Creative48Mizz_Creative48 Posts: 1,044 Member
    mskube wrote: »
    I don't know why some people assume I'm enjoying the game just because I don't care for virtual toddlers. Sims 4 needs a lot of work in my opinion.

If you are referring to my post. My comment is directed at people who have stated that they are enjoying the game without toddlers. Not to people who don't want toddlers and still not enjoying the game.

Oh ok. I just wanted to let you know I'm not one of the fans who blindly buys everything for the game just because missing toddlers don't bother me
  • Options
    Like, I was SAYING...

Period.

They have a few choices there:

- Make a statement that toddlers cannot be added, the way they have that the game can't be made open world. But that would be pretty blatantly untrue.
    - Make a statement that they won't be added, which might be untrue and which, if true as far as they know now, would mean they couldn't change their minds with breaking that statement and further frustrating players. IIRC, they've recently made it clear that they don't want to make such statements about things because they don't want to backtrack on statements. (Sorry, don't have links)
    - Make a statement that they will be added, in the same quarter as they're going to be doing that adding (it's complicated, involves securities regulations, seems to have been clamped down on recently, and has other topics devoted to it on these forums).
    - Make a statement that they will be added later than the same quarter the statement is in, after altering securities regulations or, perhaps actually possible but I think highly unlikely, convince EA that's it's worthwhile to let them have messed up accounting for a while without consequences even if it means answering to shareholders over it.

Not sure which you'd prefer :/

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    I can't respect when others are condemning you for having a negative view on the game.
    Like we're ALL supposed to be happy and "JUST BE" consumers.
    No I'm not JUST a consumer.
    I am a supporter of their business.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    @scobre very well said. I laughed so hard when I read the part about the ducks kissing.
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Well I have to agree that toddlers aren't the only family thing lacking in the Sims 4. They are just the tip of the iceberg. Babies are boring, children can't play, teens and elders look like clones of adults and young adults, and Sims couldn't care less what happens to their family members. Plus there is the bloody incest that occurs between family members because some relationships aren't recognized in the family tree. I mean there isn't even real romantic interactions between couples anymore. It looks like Sims have cooties with each other with how lame makeouts are on the couch and bed. Sims can't even cuddle with each other. :( Plus they look like ducks when kissing. So am I happy how family play has been treated in the Sims 4? No I'm not. It's an embarrassment especially for a franchise that has been around for 16 years and for an AAA game. I don't find Sims realistic or relatable. That's the thing about life simulation games, it is hard making it appear like real life. Right now the Sims 4 is not depicting real life for me or even an entertaining game yet. It is depicting a sitcom show which can be very annoying. I can honestly say in my opinion, the Sims 4 has the worst version of family play ever to hit the series. Sometimes I wish it could have been called the Sims Singles, but that seems to be the only lifestyle the Sims 4 is doing decently at. It is failing at the romantic and family aspects that should bring two or more Sims together with. That is why when you read most stories, people are playing with only one Sims because that is mainly the only type of gameplay the game allows. It is not built for more than one Sims play between the culling and the relationship culling and ghost culling and employee culling and the small hoods. The game just isn't built for growth. It is stunted to single Sim gameplay only. That is what I find the most sad.

!!!!!!!
  • Options

I respect that.
    And I think anyone with some sense, should realize that a supporter of the toddler stage does not mean others can't enjoy the game. Or shouldn't be enjoying the game. No one wants Maxis to go down in flames. We may not get another Sims if they went out of business.

But for me, there is TRUTH, my truth, of the game not being family orientated. In the least.
    It plays like a social media, online, bachelor, type of gameplay.

I play families in 4. I enjoy them. I think that was the OP's point: "family play" isn't the same thing for everyone.

Several months ago there was a really interesting topic here in which people who are playing families in 4 described what "family play" means to them. It was a calm, rational, interesting discussion, and showed many different ways of interpreting "family play" and how Sims 4 meets that for some better than Sims 3, and vice versa.
  • Options
    NoogsterNoogster Posts: 627 Member
    edited June 2016
    So I'd advise you to STEP off. The same way I'm respecting your GRAND OL TIME with the game, you will RESPECT my views on the game. Period.

[img]http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸.com/r/tknbck.gif[/img]

Woah turbo, cool your jets please. This is a just a discussion. LOL.
    May I say that threats are against the rules.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Like, I was SAYING...

Period.

- Make a statement that toddlers cannot be added, the way they have that the game can't be made open world. But that would be pretty blatantly untrue.
    - Make a statement that they won't be added, which might be untrue and which, if true as far as they know now, would mean they couldn't change their minds with breaking that statement and further frustrating players. IIRC, they've recently made it clear that they don't want to make such statements about things because they don't want to backtrack on statements. (Sorry, don't have links)
    - Make a statement that they will be added, in the same quarter as they're going to be doing that adding (it's complicated, involves securities regulations, seems to have been clamped down on recently, and has other topics devoted to it on these forums).
    - Make a statement that they will be added later than the same quarter the statement is in, after altering securities regulations or, perhaps actually possible but I think highly unlikely, convince EA that's it's worthwhile to let them have messed up accounting for a while without consequences even if it means answering to shareholders over it.

A statement that is TRUE.
    And answers the question head-on.
    Period.
  • Options
    Like, I was SAYING...

Period.

And every single one of this options would cause a commotion, just with different flavors of outrage. They can't win, and silence is the answer.
  • Options

The point is: I've noticed that you use "us" like all of us here are mad or feel the same about the toddler issue or the game itself.
    A LOT of players do really enjoy TS4 and will support the product even with toddler still missing, maybe waiting for them to make a happy return or maybe wishing they're never coming at all. We're all different and we all want different things, we play differently too. But this game still has a lot of supporters and satisfied or just contempt players.

When I say US I'm talking about the ones who want toddlers in the game.
    If you are not that person, it doesn't APPLY TO YOU. that goes without saying, IMO.
  • Options
    I can't respect when others are condemning you for having a negative view on the game.
    Like we're ALL supposed to be happy and "JUST BE" consumers.
    No I'm not JUST a consumer.
    I am a supporter of their business.
    Thanks.

I think that's understood. That's true of all of us, though, including those of us enjoying the game.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    mskube wrote: »
    @scobre very well said. I laughed so hard when I read the part about the ducks kissing.
    Well they do. XD I mean there isn't a gap anymore but sigh like Sims do the duck face selfie look when kissing. I just can't take it seriously. :lol:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top