Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

'Family Play' isn't just toddlers

Comments

• Options
    PolyrhythmPolyrhythm Posts: 2,789 Member
    Romantic interactions in this game look silly in general. The kissing animation, the fistpumps when they're about to woohoo, the selfies when they start dating...ehhh. I really just play single sims now.
    (Very off-topic post, sorry :lol:)
    :*:,:*:*:*::*:,:*:*:*::
    v5Yd2X5.png
  • Options
    NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    Eh, all my baybes get sent off to nursery school and come back proper little children, until they ask an adult about another adult they dont know, then they get a little weird.
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Romantic interactions in this game look silly in general. The kissing animation, the fistpumps when they're about to woohoo, the selfies when they start dating...ehhh. I really just play single sims now.
    Nah it is on topic. That's the thing, it isn't just toddlers, but the whole deal that besides single Sims, the Sims 4 just isn't that fun to play. It doesn't do multiple Sims play that well yet.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    I apologize if I offended anyone.
    But I stand by what I said and feel about Maxis/EA.
    I'm entitled to that, just like everyone else is entitled to how they feel about the game.
  • Options
    MorriSanMorriSan Posts: 412 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    Nah it is on topic. That's the thing, it isn't just toddlers, but the whole deal that besides single Sims, the Sims 4 just isn't that fun to play. It doesn't do multiple Sims play that well yet.

I agree that they could look better but I'm not that hung up on my theater probs to illustrate my story. I would be happy to get more but until then my imagination is good enough to fill in the gaps. I have chapters and books of story in my head about why my sim did this or that. What makes me enjoy Sims4 is the houses as background for the story, they are so much better IMHO than what we had in Sims3. Placement of furniture and clutter is much more free. I also love that I'm not pulled out of my immersion by big lags. I can deal with the loading screens as long as the play before and after is smooth. I know beforehand that I'll have a scene cut, lags made me miss stuff without warning. I once missed a first kiss in Sims3 because the game stuttered and I was very angry about that.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,637 Member
    MorriSan wrote: »
    The Sims community could be more vocal, IMO.
    Maxis gets away with a lot of stuff.

The part of the Sims community that is upset about absence of toddlers is vocal. But I hope you can understand that many of us enjoy the game as it is and don't necessarily feel that our a few-days-long life stage needed by other people than us in a video game is what we want to take a big stand on, where we want our energy to go.

I respect that.
    And I think anyone with some sense, should realize that a supporter of the toddler stage does not mean others can't enjoy the game. Or shouldn't be enjoying the game. No one wants Maxis to go down in flames. We may not get another Sims if they went out of business.

But for me, there is TRUTH, my truth, of the game not being family orientated. In the least.
    It plays like a social media, online, bachelor, type of gameplay.

I play families in 4. I enjoy them. I think that was the OP's point: "family play" isn't the same thing for everyone.

Several months ago there was a really interesting topic here in which people who are playing families in 4 described what "family play" means to them. It was a calm, rational, interesting discussion, and showed many different ways of interpreting "family play" and how Sims 4 meets that for some better than Sims 3, and vice versa.

Would you be so kind and point me towards that post? I think I know which one you are thinking of but just in case? And yes, that was what I wanted to point out, that family play has many faces and that I'm someone who considers myself a family player, just one who doesn't need toddlers.
    To my surprise, I have found it! http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/857122/what-defines-family-play/p1
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    The Sims community could be more vocal, IMO.
    Maxis gets away with a lot of stuff.

The part of the Sims community that is upset about absence of toddlers is vocal. But I hope you can understand that many of us enjoy the game as it is and don't necessarily feel that our a few-days-long life stage needed by other people than us in a video game is what we want to take a big stand on, where we want our energy to go.

I respect that.
    And I think anyone with some sense, should realize that a supporter of the toddler stage does not mean others can't enjoy the game. Or shouldn't be enjoying the game. No one wants Maxis to go down in flames. We may not get another Sims if they went out of business.

But for me, there is TRUTH, my truth, of the game not being family orientated. In the least.
    It plays like a social media, online, bachelor, type of gameplay.

I play families in 4. I enjoy them. I think that was the OP's point: "family play" isn't the same thing for everyone.

Several months ago there was a really interesting topic here in which people who are playing families in 4 described what "family play" means to them. It was a calm, rational, interesting discussion, and showed many different ways of interpreting "family play" and how Sims 4 meets that for some better than Sims 3, and vice versa.

Would you be so kind and point me towards that post? I think I know which one you are thinking of but just in case? And yes, that was what I wanted to point out, that family play has many faces and that I'm someone who considers myself a family player, just one who doesn't need toddlers.
    To my surprise, I have found it! http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/857122/what-defines-family-play/p1

You are a pearl, thank you!
  • Options

I agree that they could look better but I'm not that hung up on my theater probs to illustrate my story. I would be happy to get more but until then my imagination is good enough to fill in the gaps. I have chapters and books of story in my head about why my sim did this or that. What makes me enjoy Sims4 is the houses as background for the story, they are so much better IMHO than what we had in Sims3. Placement of furniture and clutter is much more free. I also love that I'm not pulled out of my immersion by big lags. I can deal with the loading screens as long as the play before and after is smooth. I know beforehand that I'll have a scene cut, lags made me miss stuff without warning. I once missed a first kiss in Sims3 because the game stuttered and I was very angry about that.
    Yeah I still have issues setting the scene for my stories. I guess it is just a difference in game play. I like to play dysfunctional families sometimes and the Sims 4 doesn't really allow that. Plus I love being able to sculpt and place lots and set my own setting, so I miss the Town editor that even the Sims 2 had. Sometimes it is nice not having a preset setting and being able to pick our own. I like telling stories of different time periods and rough neighborhoods sometimes. It is just nice having more diversity with gameplay.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    mskubemskube Posts: 483 Member
    @scobre I like to play dysfunctional families to, I like lots of drama in my game.
  • Options
    mskube wrote: »
    @scobre I like to play dysfunctional families to, I like lots of drama in my game.
    Yeah it is just so much more fun having both good and bad things happen in my game. I was expecting the Sims 4 to have drama since the Maxis management said it would, but nope it didn't. It's just so happy happy joy joy majority of the time. I'd like something bad and random to happen in my game. I still think that is why toddlers were axed because of making the game too "challenging and hard" to play. Almost like the Sims has become too easy now that it took all the fun away from the series.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2016
    But without toddlers - to me - it is not complete and not family play that I can enjoy. Heaven knows I have tried with this game, but it just is not the same without them. It is just too creepy for infants to turn 10 and then jump out of a bassinet.

To each their own. I go play Sims 2 and 3 now instead of trying anymore with Sims 4. Sims 4 is not a horrible game by no means - but I just can't play it the way it is. Sorry.

ETA - Also agree with Scobre about the happy, happy, happy thing and how all the challenge is gone. The families never have any drama - even arguments end up in peace and happy smiles all the time.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Yeah honestly I can't create my family without toddlers just like how people couldn't create their families and themselves before the unisex update too. Sometimes we need these tools to tell our stories and I don't want to draw a toddler on my computer screen just to "pretend" like they exist in the Sims 4 when they don't. No amount of pretending will bring toddlers in the Sims 4.
  • Options
    Yeah it is just so much more fun having both good and bad things happen in my game. I was expecting the Sims 4 to have drama since the Maxis management said it would, but nope it didn't. It's just so happy happy joy joy majority of the time. I'd like something bad and random to happen in my game. I still think that is why toddlers were axed because of making the game too "challenging and hard" to play. Almost like the Sims has become too easy now that it took all the fun away from the series.

Agreed way too much happiness. Sometimes random things happen that brings some excitement but I never know what happened to cause it. I was playing with dine out last night, took my sims employees to eat at another restaurant than to a bar for a few drinks and one of my sims got into a fight with another bar patron. That livened up the game but I never got to know why they were fighting.
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    But without them to me it is not complete and not family play that I can enjoy. Heaven knows I have tried with this games and it just is not the same without them. It is just too creepy for infants to turn 10 and then jump out of a bassinet.

To each their own. I go play Sims 2 and 3 now instead of trying anymore with Sims 4. Sims 4 is not a horrible game by no means - but I just can't play it the way it is. Sorry.

No need to be sorry, that is the way you feel. I'm just sad that we can't share enjoyment about playing sims4.

Sims3 isn't supporting my gamestyle which requires no lags. I'm crossing my fingers that it stays smooth in sims4, non laggy, I made do with sims3 and I felt a little bit forced to buy the new stuff to keep it running. I'm not computersavvy but I learned that 3 works best when you download content chronologically. Whenever a patch went live and I didn't go for the big EP (not talking about store content) it seemed to spawn new problems. Then I learned to use Mods that culled the millions of townies and taxies that clogged up my streets.
  • Options
    Agreed way too much happiness. Sometimes random things happen that brings some excitement but I never know what happened to cause it. I was playing with dine out last night, took my sims employees to eat at another restaurant than to a bar for a few drinks and one of my sims got into a fight with another bar patron. That livened up the game but I never got to know why they were fighting.
    That's awesome and yeah I think with the newer packs they are trying to liven up the game a bit more, which is nice to see.
  • Options
    That's awesome and yeah I think with the newer packs they are trying to liven up the game a bit more, which is nice to see.

Yes it was pretty cool first time for me to have something like that happen, just wish I knew what caused the fight. I was controlling another sim, and went to check on my other sim, and she was arguing and the next thing I know a fight breaks out, she's level 10 fitness and lost seriously lol. I made her fight him again because I knew she was capable of winning. I have some photos I took of what was going on I'll try and post them later. Everyone at the bar gathered around to watch.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    But without them to me it is not complete and not family play that I can enjoy. Heaven knows I have tried with this games and it just is not the same without them. It is just too creepy for infants to turn 10 and then jump out of a bassinet.

No need to be sorry, that is the way you feel. I'm just sad that we can't share enjoyment about playing sims4.

Sims3 isn't supporting my gamestyle which requires no lags. I'm crossing my fingers that it stays smooth in sims4, non laggy, I made do with sims3 and I felt a little bit forced to buy the new stuff to keep it running. I'm not computersavvy but I learned that 3 works best when you download content chronologically. Whenever a patch went live and I didn't go for the big EP (not talking about store content) it seemed to spawn new problems. Then I learned to use Mods that culled the millions of townies and taxies that clogged up my streets.

Well most of the issues with Sims 3 was user fixable if you wanted to work at fixing the game (it is a lot of work) - that and a really good pc. Like I run a super computer all the time (hubby is a pc tech - so it makes it easy to not only have a great pc all the time that constantly gets updated - and configured) - and I am knowledgeable about games - finding their issues and fixing them. So Sims 3 plays lovely for me 99.8 percent of the time.

Unfortunately I cannot fix Sims 4's issues that I am unhappy with. I wish I could. LOL.

I say - if you enjoy it - then it is the Sims game for you. That is really all that matters I guess. I am just sad I can't come to terms with Sims 4 or that the devs would make it possible for us all to love it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    Right so after a pm where someone seems to have totally misunderstood my point I'm here to clarify in case I wasn't clear enough.

I said I was sick to death of this stuff because I am-aren't all of you sick of this situation where people feel the need to justify their own play styles?! Isn't it absurd?! People know their own minds. They own what they want in the sims and it is no one's business to comment on what they do or how they feel. It's special to all of us. Noone has the right to tell someone else how to think/feel about it.

It's not fair that because some people who happen to like whatever feature and request consideration act out that other people who like the same things are subject to comments and suggestions that they are somehow responsible for the actions of others?!

Noone should need to justify their play style. You reading this, the OP or I. That was the point I was making. I believe you have a right to what you enjoy and your subjective experience whoever you are. If someone tells you that your experience is wrong they are in the wrong wherever they stand on the game.

I also believe telling someone who believes that their version of family play where toddlers are most important would absolutely be allowed to think/feel that way without people telling them off or saying that they don't have sympathy for their desires and requests of the game (which comes across as the same thing). Their experience doesn't mean anything to your subjective experience. It doesn't mean they think your family play without toddlers is invalid-that only comes into account if that individual says so to you. You cannot assume that because someone thinks toddlers makes *their* family play that means they have any opinion of *your* version of family play whatever that looks like. If they say that directly to you then they have no right to do so and I don't believe many simmers would support anyone doing that.

If we all have choices then we can all 'rule' in whatever way we see fit. Personally I have supported all sorts of other players requests for TS4 that I'm not particularly interested in or enamoured with myself. It's because I enjoy the diverse nature of our community and I love seeing all kinds of other people's stories or creations (from all games). I absolutely support other simmers seeing what they love most in the sims.

I'm just very sad to see how there is this endless pointless discussion over something very simple-there is no 'wrong' way to play the sims. Do as you enjoy in your games, request what makes you happy and if you don't agree with someone's subjective experiences it really doesn't mean anything personal.

Talk about the game and not the players.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    One quote in that "What Defines Family Play" thread sticks with me, because I feel it is still a persistent issue not only in that thread, but this one today and many others:

I doubt that anything has been solved. Some players don't want to validate the play styles of others if they don't conform to what they think. This thread proves there is no set definition to what a play style is to any given player.

I believe that quote still applies today. Whether we're talking about toddlers, the latest patch, or anything else in the game. And I've seen the unpleasant behavior from all sides of the debate, so this isn't an observation toward only those who want toddlers, or those who don't want them. There is A LOT of room for improvement when it comes to respecting each other's play styles.
  • Options
    One quote in that "What Defines Family Play" thread sticks with me, because I feel it is still a persistent issue not only in that thread, but this one today and many others:

I doubt that anything has been solved. Some players don't want to validate the play styles of others if they don't conform to what they think. This thread proves there is no set definition to what a play style is to any given player.

I believe that quote still applies today. Whether we're talking about toddlers, the latest patch, or anything else in the game. And I've seen the unpleasant behavior from all sides of the debate, so this isn't an observation toward only those who want toddlers, or those who don't want them. There is A LOT of room for improvement when it comes to respecting each other's play styles.

Exactly right. @PHOEBESMOM601 is totally right there, as are you.
  • Options

Yes it was pretty cool first time for me to have something like that happen, just wish I knew what caused the fight. I was controlling another sim, and went to check on my other sim, and she was arguing and the next thing I know a fight breaks out, she's level 10 fitness and lost seriously lol. I made her fight him again because I knew she was capable of winning. I have some photos I took of what was going on I'll try and post them later. Everyone at the bar gathered around to watch.
    Yeah that would be cool. I'd love to see pictures of that.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Right so after a pm where someone seems to have totally misunderstood my point I'm here to clarify in case I wasn't clear enough.

I said I was sick to death of this stuff because I am-aren't all of you sick of this situation where people feel the need to justify their own play styles?! Isn't it absurd?! People know their own minds. They own what they want in the sims and it is no one's business to comment on what they do or how they feel. It's special to all of us. Noone has the right to tell someone else how to think/feel about it.

It's not fair that because some people who happen to like whatever feature and request consideration act out that other people who like the same things are subject to comments and suggestions that they are somehow responsible for the actions of others?!

Noone should need to justify their play style. You reading this, the OP or I. That was the point I was making. I believe you have a right to what you enjoy and your subjective experience whoever you are. If someone tells you that your experience is wrong they are in the wrong wherever they stand on the game.

I also believe telling someone who believes that their version of family play where toddlers are most important would absolutely be allowed to think/feel that way without people telling them off or saying that they don't have sympathy for their desires and requests of the game (which comes across as the same thing). Their experience doesn't mean anything to your subjective experience. It doesn't mean they think your family play without toddlers is invalid-that only comes into account if that individual says so to you. You cannot assume that because someone thinks toddlers makes *their* family play that means they have any opinion of *your* version of family play whatever that looks like. If they say that directly to you then they have no right to do so and I don't believe many simmers would support anyone doing that.

If we all have choices then we can all 'rule' in whatever way we see fit. Personally I have supported all sorts of other players requests for TS4 that I'm not particularly interested in or enamoured with myself. It's because I enjoy the diverse nature of our community and I love seeing all kinds of other people's stories or creations (from all games). I absolutely support other simmers seeing what they love most in the sims.

I'm just very sad to see how there is this endless pointless discussion over something very simple-there is no 'wrong' way to play the sims. Do as you enjoy in your games, request what makes you happy and if you don't agree with someone's subjective experiences it really doesn't mean anything personal.

Talk about the game and not the players.

I so totally agree with this whole statement Sparkfairy. It is why though I have tried making sure I add in my statements the words - to me - that I emphasize or -in my own opinion, for me- just because of all you just said. I really do not want to invalidate anyones way of playing - even though Maxis seems to think my way of playing is invalid by not including this little Sim. It makes me upset that I don't seem to matter after being a faithful player all these years and buying everything ever made for the Sims series. I surely do not want to make one of my fellow simmers feel like Maxis makes some of us feel. We should all matter - in my opinion, I must add.

Thank you for always having other simmers backs - no matter where we fall on the play enjoyment scale. Many of us appreciate it all the time.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    Thank you @Writin_Reg <3

It's so unnecessary though. When someone is discussing what makes the game for them obviously they are speaking to their own experience.

When someone comes out and tells someone they don't have a right to their experience because it doesn't match their own that's 100% absolutely wrong. But just because for person a a feature is absolutely necessary to enjoy their game doesn't mean they mean to say that they believe that same thing applies across the board to all sorts of other players and other people are wrong for enjoying it as is. That's a rather giant leap in assumption.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,559 Member
    Thank you @Writin_Reg <3

It's so unnecessary though. When someone is discussing what makes the game for them obviously they are speaking to their own experience.

When someone comes out and tells someone they don't have a right to their experience because it doesn't match their own that's 100% absolutely wrong. But just because for person a a feature is absolutely necessary to enjoy their game doesn't mean they mean to say that they believe that same thing applies across the board to all sorts of other players and other people are wrong for enjoying it as is. That's a rather giant leap in assumption.

What gets to me is someone who can easily avoid a feature telling someone else they are selfish for wanting said feature.
    So their own inconvenience is more important than the other person having anything at all.
    That takes selfishness to stratospheric levels and they are blind to their own selfishness. :s
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Yeah I'm going to ask @SimGuruDrake @SimStaffBethelle @SimStaffGabriel and @SimStaffJessica to monitor this thread. No one should feel harassed over their play style or for wanting a feature especially going as low as to stalk someone's wall or message them for not agreeing with them. Yes I feel offended when people refer to toddlers as brats or demons because I have a toddler nephew of my own. Why it is important to keep it about the game and not about the people which this thread failed to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top