Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @amyedwards1986 - You might want to find a different example. Dishwashers were patched in.
    Toddler stuff attached to a world (TS3) is one of the worst examples imo. They knew a lot of people wanted that, but the only way to get it was buying Aurora Skies as well. The fact they added a lot for free for Sims 4 can't be because they suddenly changed their attitude. The players changed their attitudes.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I have yet to be 'forced' to buy anything. If I didn't want to pay rent, I could sleep outside in the rain and snow. Let alone being 'forced' to buy a game or any dlc for it. :D
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    edited June 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Toddler stuff attached to a world (TS3) is one of the worst examples imo. They knew a lot of people wanted that, but the only way to get it was buying Aurora Skies as well. The fact they added a lot for free for Sims 4 can't be because they suddenly changed their attitude. The players changed their attitudes.

Maxis and the Sims 3 store team are basically separate companies in a way (the store team is still SimGurus and Maxis and all that).

The store team did their own thing than what Maxis did - Maxis was in charge of all expansions and stuff packs for the Sims 3 and decided what to release and what to implement into the Sims 3.

The store team was in charge of the store - they did their own thing and decided what to release for the Sims 3 Store; Maxis won't really were in charge of what was released.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2016
    Simanite wrote: »
    The problem is, seeing that TS4 has sold so many copies (even more already than 2 and 3 in their lifespan apparently) it means that the chances of TS5 being more like TS4 than any of the others is more likely. For us who feel like 4 is missing stuff, this is problematic and worrying. We fear that because the lack of toddlers and family play hasn't left a dint in the games earnings, the developers may think why bother spending money adding them in future iterations if they can make more money adding in as little content as they can get away with.

Where did you read it sold more than Sims 2 and Sims 3 during their entire lifespan? The Sims 3 bases game boasts 10 million sales alone, and Sims 2 did even better, selling 13+ million copies. Sims 4 is no financial failure, but let's not over-state the success.

Not according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

Sims 1 - 11 million
    Sims 2 - 6 million
    Sims 3 - 7.7 million

And that's over the course of their lifetimes. So in two years, less than half the expected lifecycle of 5 years, and far less time in total since past game releases, Sims 4 at 5 million is no slouch and may very well get past 7.7 million not in another three years, but in as little as one or two. I wouldn't underestimate it.
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    i bought it. i even pre-ordered it. i will not make that mistake again. ts4 cured me of ever buying anything from ea without waiting for copious reviews again.

edit: and, if ts4 is really selling well, why isn't ea screaming it from the rooftops like they did with ts3? ea isn't subtle about patting their own back.

You shouldn't preorder any game, from any company. There's not a game at launch these days that doesn't have issues. Batman Arkham Knight and Assassin's Creed Unity are prime examples, neither from EA (WB and Ubisoft, I believe).

TS4's sales are at least half-or-more in digital from Origin. Whereas TS3's sales were largely in retail, as prime digital distribution didn't come til later. And you don't hear much about the dlc store there either. You can't even get TS3's store items from Steam or otherplaces yet. But even Steam and other digital distributions don't release sales numbers. And until digital is the primary/only way to get games, that's how it's going to be.

It's a business thing that I don't have the details for but I'm sure involves investors, marketing, etc. Probably deals with companies wanting to keep good relations with retail stores as well. EA isn't some big exemption to a rule here. Only the indie companies that rely solely on digital distribution talk about sales numbers.

I'm right about overall sales. And you can bet the '5 m' includes downloads and retail purchases. I doubt Sims 4 will double its base game sales before it's retired, but I guess time will tell. Grand Theft Auto V was not from what I'd call an 'indie' developer, and Rock Star was crowing about their nearly $billion in sales the first week, so companies do brag, when they have reason to brag. And maybe that's the problem: 5 million in sales is small potatoes in today's market, at least when you're talking about a corporation like Evil Arts...er Electronic Arts.
    Post edited by Darleymikey on
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options

Maxis and the Sims 3 store team are basically separate companies in a way (the store team is still SimGurus and Maxis and all that).

The store team did their own thing than what Maxis did - Maxis was in charge of all expansions and stuff packs for the Sims 3 and decided what to release and what to implement into the Sims 3.

The store team was in charge of the store - they did their own thing and decided what to release for the Sims 3 Store; Maxis won't really were in charge of what was released.
    That Store isn't/wasn't part of EA :o ?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2016
    Simanite wrote: »
    The problem is, seeing that TS4 has sold so many copies (even more already than 2 and 3 in their lifespan apparently) it means that the chances of TS5 being more like TS4 than any of the others is more likely. For us who feel like 4 is missing stuff, this is problematic and worrying. We fear that because the lack of toddlers and family play hasn't left a dint in the games earnings, the developers may think why bother spending money adding them in future iterations if they can make more money adding in as little content as they can get away with.

Where did you read it sold more than Sims 2 and Sims 3 during their entire lifespan? The Sims 3 bases game boasts 10 million sales alone, and Sims 2 did even better, selling 13+ million copies. Sims 4 is no financial failure, but let's not over-state the success.

Not according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

Sims 1 - 11 million
    Sims 2 - 6 million
    Sims 3 - 7.7 million

And that's over the course of their lifetimes. So in two years, less than half the expected lifecycle of 5 years, and far less time in total since past game releases, Sims 4 at 5 million is no slouch and may very well get past 7.7 million not in another three years, but in as little as one or two. I wouldn't underestimate it.
    Bagoas77 wrote: »
    i bought it. i even pre-ordered it. i will not make that mistake again. ts4 cured me of ever buying anything from ea without waiting for copious reviews again.

edit: and, if ts4 is really selling well, why isn't ea screaming it from the rooftops like they did with ts3? ea isn't subtle about patting their own back.

You shouldn't preorder any game, from any company. There's not a game at launch these days that doesn't have issues. Batman Arkham Knight and Assassin's Creed Unity are prime examples, neither from EA (WB and Ubisoft, I believe).

TS4's sales are at least half-or-more in digital from Origin. Whereas TS3's sales were largely in retail, as prime digital distribution didn't come til later. And you don't hear much about the dlc store there either. You can't even get TS3's store items from Steam or otherplaces yet. But even Steam and other digital distributions don't release sales numbers. And until digital is the primary/only way to get games, that's how it's going to be.

It's a business thing that I don't have the details for but I'm sure involves investors, marketing, etc. Probably deals with companies wanting to keep good relations with retail stores as well. EA isn't some big exemption to a rule here. Only the indie companies that rely solely on digital distribution talk about sales numbers.

I'm right about overall sales. I doubt Sims 4 will double its base game sales before it's retired, but I guess time will tell. Grand Theft Auto V was not from what I'd call an 'indie' developer, and Rock Star was crowing about their nearly $billion in sales the first week, so companies do brag, when they have reason to brag. And maybe that's the problem: 5 million in sales is small potatoes in today's market, at least when you're talking about a corporation like Evil Arts...er Electronic Arts.

EA IS bragging big time on Star Wars, Titanfall, Battlefield - just not Sims 4. I never miss a conference call or Investors meeting. LOL!

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    That Store isn't/wasn't part of EA :o?

They are still part of EA, but they did their own thing than what Maxis done. Think of it like EA owning Maxis owning the store team. :)
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    That Store isn't/wasn't part of EA :o?

They are still part of EA, but they did their own thing than what Maxis done. Think of it like EA owning Maxis owning the store team. :)

Well the Sims 3 store was made with a team out of Salt Lake City Studio and Sims 3 was made on the EA Campus at Redwood Shores - but both were part of Maxis and considered Maxis/EA employees.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think what Colton is saying is this.

EA had two children, one called The Sims 3 development team who made EPs and the other child being the Store team who made Store content.

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited June 2016
    Since EA doesn't release sales figures, we really can only guess at how well their games are selling. I have no doubt that Sims 4 is selling fine, though I'm unsure as to why they're not selling as much DLC as they did in previous games. However, /shrug.

But then when I see articles like this, talking about the sales of other EA games, it makes me wonder. I'm pretty sure if Sims 4 were the best selling Sims game, we'd hear something about it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101951-Dragon-Age-Origins-Reigns-Supreme-as-Best-Selling-BioWare-Game
    http://gamerant.com/dragon-age-inquisition-bioware-best-seller/

It's pretty safe to say that the 5 million pin for the Sims 4 represents 5 million sales. And that's awesome for the franchise and for the future of the franchise. But as it's not saying it's the best selling Sims franchise either, I think you can't assume that it is.
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member
    It is pretty much confirmed now :)
    Thanks to The Simscraper and Simguru Ninja
    KT0YDZM.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I think what Colton is saying is this.

EA had two children, one called The Sims 3 development team who made EPs and the other child being the Store team who made Store content.

Pretty much this. o:)

The development team is Maxis, while the other is the store team. :)
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Still the worst of the franchise. But hey, who trusts reviews and consumers opinions?
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    Still the worst of the franchise. But hey, who trusts reviews and consumers opinions?

I won't argue with you on that.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    TheSimerTheSimer Posts: 1,007 Member

This is your opinion. I don't think that 5 million people would buy a game if it was bad. The "critics" are just a really small part of the sims community.
  • Options

So you are basically saying people who like the Sims 4 do not deserve to have an opinion...

Everyone, no matter who you are, is entitled to an opinion and don't force yours down other people's throats.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    So according to rough half of the forums it 'is the worse game ever' yet else where it is flying off of the shelves (or through Origin) so what do we believe? Half of the forums or the actual figures?

Well, I hate to say it guess but it looks like TS4 is popular after all and I always give credit where credit is due, maybe TS4 is not 'the plum' some have made it out to be :open_mouth:

I still think that TS3 is better though ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    No, LOL. They are the majority actually. Like we've all been saying, just because people are buying it doesn't mean they're satisfied with it. It's not just a few simmers who aren't, it's a LOT. Along with EVERY company that's reviewed the game.
  • Options
    TheSimer wrote: »

This is your opinion. I don't think that 5 million people would buy a game if it was bad. The "critics" are just a really small part of the sims community.
    I happen to be one of those buying people and I'm considering to buy GT now that it has a 50% discount. And I'm hardly a Sims 4 fan.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

So you are basically saying people who like the Sims 4 do not deserve to have an opinion...

Everyone, no matter who you are, is entitled to an opinion and don't force yours down other people's throats.

Don't twist my words. Haven't you been jailed/banned enough for instigating?
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    TheSimer wrote: »
    It is pretty much confirmed now :)
    Thanks to The Simscraper and Simguru Ninja
    KT0YDZM.jpg

I hate to say this, but he can't know this either. NPD Group in trying to stay relevant puts out wildly inaccurate charts that they try to pass off as far more accurate than they are. Here's how they get their numbers -- retail sales (this is pretty good) plus consumer surveys of a fairly small sample which they hope is representative to learn of digital sales.

It's why you don't see EA touting (officials from EA, not a guru) how Sims 4 is the best selling game of the year for two years running with Sims 3 still at number 2. Because they just don't know.

While he could know how many copies of Sims 4 has sold digitally, Steam doesn't release its sales figures (neither does Apple). So there's no way of knowing who released the best selling PC game.
  • Options
    Oh, and for anyone who thinks the NPD group charts are accurate, their 2014 chart listed Sims 4 as number 1, Sims 3 as number 2, and Diablo 3's DLC as number 3. Except Blizzard released the sales data, which was over 4 million. I can guarantee you Sims 3 didn't sell over 4 million copies in 2014.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    @Felicity - He works for EA. EA will know how many copies it sold directly and how many it sold through retailers. Just because they don't release the figures publicly doesn't mean that their own employees don't know, especially for their own product. It's basic information they'd be using for planning project budgets going forward.

I'm just going to go enjoy this bit of more-confirmed-now info about the success of Sims 4 elsewhere, since the Sims 4 forums don't seem to be the place to actually celebrate it. :/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @Felicity - He works for EA. EA will know how many copies it sold directly and how many it sold through retailers. Just because they don't release the figures publicly doesn't mean that their own employees don't know, especially for their own product. It's basic information they'd be using for planning project budgets going forward.

I'm just going to go enjoy this bit of more-confirmed-now info about the success of Sims 4 elsewhere, since the Sims 4 forums don't seem to be the place to actually celebrate it. :/

@luthienrising Yes, he will know how well *EA* did. Not how well Blizzard or Bethesda did. I completely believe that it was EA's best selling PC game, just not that it's the best selling PC game overall. It may be, but we just don't know, and NPD is too inaccurate to rely on.

Edit: I'm not trying to take anything away from the 5 million in sales. I already said that's probably what the pin meant :) It's more the claim that it was the best selling PC game last year which no one can know.

I also think it's good news, the 5 million sold. It's good for the game itself and good for the franchise.

(Sorry about all the edits! It's been a long day.)