Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Azarinop2 wrote: »
    I think it's because of Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Zoella & Alfie etc. Who're advertising/playing the game making kids want it and buying it. They'll have no knowledge of the previous games and won't expect anything as they never experienced anything better from the previous iterations. It's annoying because Maxis will now make content for the unknowlegable kids/newbies more so than us oldies.

I'm probably weong like I am with everything but it was just a thought and i'm sticking with my opinion. Thankyou.

I kinda fail at seeing how turning to a younger audiance is wrong, especially for business.
    Not thinking about attracting younger gamers and make games enjoyable for them is a bit like a suicide move, since newbies are future cash if you manage to catch them. A gaming industry that doesn't work for that can't have a really bright future for its sales.
    It's wrong when you realize not only young people play games. Focusing on just one audience, ignoring other audiences, is never a smart decision I think. As for sales: I'm not young and I do have money to spend. Money I'm not spending right now. I wasn't young when I started playing Sims 3 by the way and I was completely new to the game back then. So you don't have to be young to be introduced to something for the first time.

I never said that only young people play the game. And I never said you have to be young to be introduced to a game for the first time. I just said that not aiming at younger gamers at all and keep addressing at the same audience over and over again, for years, is not a smart business move in the long run, if you want to keep the franchise fresh and alive.
    Feel free to disagree :)
    Games should be for all ages. Sims 4 is a game for all ages. The fact that it lacks features that were dear to many gamers or that it doesn't have stunning, amazing, super immersive gameplay is a different thing. And subjective too.
    Then maybe I misinterpreted the words "turning to a younger audience"? When you turn to an audience, doesn't that mean focusing on them? And doesn't that mean not focusing on another audience? I see a lot of focusing on young people and their culture in this game lately (which started with Sims 3 by the way). I don't think it's necessary to focus on a new group of players age wise to get them in. Because those new players will show up anyway, whether you focus on them or not. Which is why I referred to myself as a new though not so young player. You never know who that new player is, nor how old they are. I'm not very familiar with games, but I am under the impression only The Sims does this. Games my son is playing (Assassin's Creed, Fallout, GTA, Skyrim, Minecraft) aren't aimed at one age group at all. In fact I feel more adressed to watching him play those games than I feel adressed to by my own Sims game lately. Too bad the gameplay of those other games doesn't appeal to me.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    I think it's because of Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Zoella & Alfie etc. Who're advertising/playing the game making kids want it and buying it. They'll have no knowledge of the previous games and won't expect anything as they never experienced anything better from the previous iterations. It's annoying because Maxis will now make content for the unknowlegable kids/newbies more so than us oldies.

I'm probably weong like I am with everything but it was just a thought and i'm sticking with my opinion. Thankyou.

I kinda fail at seeing how turning to a younger audiance is wrong, especially for business.
    Not thinking about attracting younger gamers and make games enjoyable for them is a bit like a suicide move, since newbies are future cash if you manage to catch them. A gaming industry that doesn't work for that can't have a really bright future for its sales.
    It's wrong when you realize not only young people play games. Focusing on just one audience, ignoring other audiences, is never a smart decision I think. As for sales: I'm not young and I do have money to spend. Money I'm not spending right now. I wasn't young when I started playing Sims 3 by the way and I was completely new to the game back then. So you don't have to be young to be introduced to something for the first time.

I never said that only young people play the game. And I never said you have to be young to be introduced to a game for the first time. I just said that not aiming at younger gamers at all and keep addressing at the same audience over and over again, for years, is not a smart business move in the long run, if you want to keep the franchise fresh and alive.
    Games should be for all ages. Sims 4 is a game for all ages. The fact that it lacks features that were dear to many gamers or that it doesn't have stunning, amazing, super immersive gameplay is a different thing. And subjective too.
    Then maybe I misinterpreted the words "turning to a younger audience"? When you turn to an audience, doesn't that mean focusing on them? And doesn't that mean not focusing on another audience? I see a lot of focusing on young people and their culture in this game lately (which started with Sims 3 by the way). I don't think it's necessary to focus on a new group of players age wise to get them in. Because those new players will show up anyway, whether you focus on them or not. Which is why I referred to myself as a new though not so young player. You never know who that new player is, nor how old they are. I'm not very familiar with games, but I am under the impression only The Sims does this. Games my son is playing (Assassin's Creed, Fallout, GTA, Skyrim, Minecraft) aren't aimed at one age group at all. In fact I feel more adressed to watching him play those games than I feel adressed to by my own Sims game lately. Too bad the gameplay of those other games doesn't appeal to me.

Yes, I didn't want to say that focusing on a younger age group should erase older players from existence by consequence. It's just that I think it's normal and natural for real life generations to change little by little and having fun with different things. Which is why I think it's normal and smart for a business to lure younger players in. If the game is unique, the new content is fresh and fun and doesn't remain exactly the same over time, there's very little chance for the game to fail.
    But once again, this doesn't mean that everybody should be happy about the game, especially if it doesn't appeal to them.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    I feel like for the first time ever, the sims is focusing on my age group (I'm 30). Obviously Sims 4 is following current gaming trends when it comes to aesthetics and stuff, but especially with hairs and clothes options I feel like the game caters towards me. It's a subjective experience of course, others my age might not feel the same at all. Age is really just a number.
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    The problem is, seeing that TS4 has sold so many copies (even more already than 2 and 3 in their lifespan apparently) it means that the chances of TS5 being more like TS4 than any of the others is more likely. For us who feel like 4 is missing stuff, this is problematic and worrying. We fear that because the lack of toddlers and family play hasn't left a dint in the games earnings, the developers may think why bother spending money adding them in future iterations if they can make more money adding in as little content as they can get away with.

You mean another Sims game with no Open World, cars of toddlers?

Good luck to them with that one! :D

On a serious not though I have faith in the development team and TS5 could be awesome! :)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    riccardougariccardouga Posts: 436 Member
    They are obviously made-up statistics :wink: and even if is the truth, you are forced to buy expansion/game/stuff packs to make this game feel less empty.
  • Options
    Forest_NinjaForest_Ninja Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited June 2016
    So talk of the forums is about the recent sales figures, and I see some differing opinions about what this means for the game and the future of the series.

Personally I think that it is great that TS4 is selling well and I am not even playing the game but instead I am waiting for future games which may not happen if it was not for positive sales.

I just do not understand the debating however. Why should it matter if the game sales loads? Would that actually effect anyone else's enjoyment over the game? It is easy to say that TS4 might have had a bumpy ride at first but as it appears, there have been some improvements made which a lot of players are happy with. Can these players not actually enjoy the fact that their game is actually slowly becoming popular and will be treated to new content in the future?

It does seem that maybe some players want to see the game fail as maybe that way they will then get the content that they are asking for but myself, I want the series to thrive, be open to new ideas as well as enhance previous features and make them stronger! :smiley:

Weather or not the game is selling a lot or little should effect anyone else's enjoyment of the game and if you don't enjoy TS4, maybe you should be happy that there is now a very good chance of a TS5 coming in a few years which I am also waiting for :smile:

Happy Simming

Peace

Because all of the toddler, bug, and lack of potential arguments have been defeated, and they have no other filler material for the ongoing pseudo-fiasco.
    "Video gaming began as an engineer's hobby and a means of creative expression for those of higher technical inclination. It is expected that those who are capable of higher engineering-related achievements will see value, in electronic entertainment products, where others see failure." -Sasquatch
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Ah, this makes me so happy! This means plenty of Expansion packs coming, woo! <3
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options

Yes, I didn't want to say that focusing on a younger age group should erase older players from existence by consequence. It's just that I think it's normal and natural for real life generations to change little by little and having fun with different things. Which is why I think it's normal and smart for a business to lure younger players in. If the game is unique, the new content is fresh and fun and doesn't remain exactly the same over time, there's very little chance for the game to fail.
    But once again, this doesn't mean that everybody should be happy about the game, especially if it doesn't appeal to them.
    But is my impression correct this isn't happening in other gaming franchises? Assassin's Creed is 19th century, in GTA I constantly hear songs that were playing when I was young, Fallout has a 50's atmosphere, Skytim is medieval and Minecraft I think is pretty timeless.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    amyedwards1986amyedwards1986 Posts: 244 Member
    edited June 2016
    This doesnt change that TS4 is not a bargain. When you invest almost $200 in a game (yes when you combine the game with the expansions and the games pack it reaches that high), you have to expect something above greatness, which is not the fact actually with TS4. The open world, the toddlers, the pets, vacations, University or the seasons are still missing features. When you realize that for the same price you can have the Sims 3 which is now a complete game with all those features included, TS3 wins. Maybe if they lower the price, I could give it a shot but for now I dont see it worth the investment even if Dine Out seems really good.
    11ay6ix.jpg

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us -Helen Keller-
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Slawfish wrote: »
    I feel like for the first time ever, the sims is focusing on my age group (I'm 30). Obviously Sims 4 is following current gaming trends when it comes to aesthetics and stuff, but especially with hairs and clothes options I feel like the game caters towards me. It's a subjective experience of course, others my age might not feel the same at all. Age is really just a number.
    No, age is not just a number ;) Which doesn't mean I don't like things belonging to the generation that is young now btw, like GIF's and meme's (though I frequently make the huge mistake laughing about 'ancient' meme's that are at least six months old). Taking selfies though..., not so much :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

But is my impression correct this isn't happening in other gaming franchises? Assassin's Creed is 19th century, in GTA I constantly hear songs that were playing when I was young, Fallout has a 50's atmosphere, Skytim is medieval and Minecraft I think is pretty timeless.

Assassins's Creed, it depends on the game, the first one was in the 12th century, another one in the 16th, and one in the 18th.

The Sims franchise was about the present more than a time period in particular for me, so I'm not surprised to see it follow the technological advance. A Sims game released today with mostly cathode ray TVs/computers would look extremely odd to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Well, this is an interesting perspective :smile:
    My guess is that it's a matter of taste and creativity from the developers side. Videogames, just like any other work of art, have a broad spectrum of themes, narratives, ambiances. How the age of the gamers would be influenced/influence this, I honestly don't know. Maybe it's the fact that The Sims is a game about life itself where you're the storyteller, you're in charge of what happens and of the storylines to develop (a bit like minecraft is about building/surviving, in a close sense, with no particular objective to achieve), and a game about life should reflect life - in a fun or at least entertaining way, while other games are just about visuals and scripted storylines that are going to finish at one point (and here you mentioned Skyrim :lol: and... well... there might be a few exceptions, obviously).
    I'll think more about this, you made an interesting point.
    KEBB11a.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Forest_Ninja Interesting reply I guess
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Neia wrote: »

Assassins's Creed, it depends on the game, the first one was in the 12th century, another one in the 16th, and one in the 18th.

The Sims franchise was about the present more than a time period in particular for me, so I'm not surprised to see it follow the technological advance. A Sims game released today with mostly cathode ray TVs/computers would look extremely odd to me.
    I mean the last version, that's the one he's playing. Funny thing by the way is they are making phonecalls in 4 with mobiles from the eighties ;)

834f2c48661e710f06b0d91d0a6c0044.jpg

I regret it's not possible to deselect certain nowadays features, but this also goes for Sims 3. Cars and phones are automatic.

edit: Ah, this last remark also touches your post I think @Kiwicantdie . I like TSM, I regret it's so scripted though. But I'd love to be able to play more primitive in a world like Dragon Valley. That icecream car for instance is totally out of place there imo.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm not bothered about sales.

I want a game series I like to do well so that there's more content made for it but I don't really bother about how much say it sold the first week or to date. If I like a game I will probably continue playing it even when it's reached its life cycle end anyhow.
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited June 2016
    So talk of the forums is about the recent sales figures, and I see some differing opinions about what this means for the game and the future of the series.

Personally I think that it is great that TS4 is selling well and I am not even playing the game but instead I am waiting for future games which may not happen if it was not for positive sales.

I just do not understand the debating however. Why should it matter if the game sales loads? Would that actually effect anyone else's enjoyment over the game? It is easy to say that TS4 might have had a bumpy ride at first but as it appears, there have been some improvements made which a lot of players are happy with. Can these players not actually enjoy the fact that their game is actually slowly becoming popular and will be treated to new content in the future?

It does seem that maybe some players want to see the game fail as maybe that way they will then get the content that they are asking for but myself, I want the series to thrive, be open to new ideas as well as enhance previous features and make them stronger! :smiley:

Weather or not the game is selling a lot or little should effect anyone else's enjoyment of the game and if you don't enjoy TS4, maybe you should be happy that there is now a very good chance of a TS5 coming in a few years which I am also waiting for :smile:

Happy Simming

Peace

Those people who DO want to see the game fail presumably for little more than their own enjoyment / vendetta are probably just annoyed that they've lost a part of their "argument" / justification of acting superior or enlightened.*

Personally I take sales figures with a pinch of salt anyway. I think it's great the game is starting to find its own and it's doing well (Kudos to the development team; I know not everyone is happy with the choices made but I think they really have put out some quality stuff) I know at one point EA was touting that TS4 was the best selling game on Origin but that's really not hard when said Origin library is so limited.

*I don't extend this to everyone; just the section of this community that seems to genuinely get off on rubbing people's faces in the game doing "poorly". Though sadly I do think this news will spur more of the opposite end to basically do the same "lawlz you can all stop complainingz now. This game is the BEST!!111!!ONE the sales prove it." so I guess we're trading one group of obnoxious people for another.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited June 2016
    Neia wrote: »

I mean the last version, that's the one he's playing. Funny thing by the way is they are making phonecalls in 4 with mobiles from the eighties ;)

834f2c48661e710f06b0d91d0a6c0044.jpg

I regret it's not possible to deselect certain nowadays features, but this also goes for Sims 3. Cars and phones are automatic.

But it's not unusual for games in a franchise to have a different time settings between iteration, other examples could include the Anno series, or the Age of Empires one. It's not like TS4 have huge technological advances between EPs, they have chosen a timeframe for TS4, which is different from the one of the previous iterations.

SP with retro themes or some particular furniture/architecture styles of the past would be interesting I think, and would enable more storytelling possibilities for those who want that sort of things. After all, not everybody have a modern house with modern furnitures, a modern car etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Darkslayer wrote: »

Happy Simming

Peace

Those people who DO want to see the game fail presumably for little more than their own enjoyment / vendetta are probably just annoyed that they've lost a part of their "argument" / justification of acting superior or enlightened.*

Personally I take sales figures with a pinch of salt anyway. I think it's great the game is starting to find its own and it's doing well (Kudos to the development team; I know not everyone is happy with the choices made but I think they really have put out some quality stuff) I know at one point EA was touting that TS4 was the best selling game on Origin but that's really not hard when said Origin library is so limited.

*I don't extend this to everyone; just the section of this community that seems to genuinely get off on rubbing people's faces in the game doing "poorly". Though sadly I do think this news will spur more of the opposite end to basically do the same "lawlz you can all stop complainingz now. This game is the BEST!!111!!ONE the sales prove it." so I guess we're trading one group of obnoxious people for another.

Well said *nods*.
    Some (many) discussions in this forum appear to be focused on the players and their gaming preferences rather than the game itself, and too many times things are taken to that personal, and totally uncalled for, level.
    KEBB11a.png
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Simanite wrote: »
    The problem is, seeing that TS4 has sold so many copies (even more already than 2 and 3 in their lifespan apparently) it means that the chances of TS5 being more like TS4 than any of the others is more likely. For us who feel like 4 is missing stuff, this is problematic and worrying. We fear that because the lack of toddlers and family play hasn't left a dint in the games earnings, the developers may think why bother spending money adding them in future iterations if they can make more money adding in as little content as they can get away with.

Unlike a year after The Sims 2, where half the developers moved to The Sims 3, with The Sims 2, developers moved onto The Sims 3 about 18 months later, all the current Devs are still working on The Sims 4.

We knew after a year that both The Sims 2, 3 and 4 were coming.

Citation needed. TS3 being worked on 18 months after TS2 release? Source please.

I do not recall a year into playing TS1 (which would've been Hot Date) being excited for TS2 because it was known to be coming. Some simple Wikipedia searching told me they announced development in 2003, 3 years after the release of TS1.

Same thing with TS2, I do not recall when playing Nightlife being excited for TS3 as I knew it was coming.

You forget that not everyone is psychic and knows the future
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    I don't agree because then EA would still just make the games like TS2 which had extremely high sales numbers that broke all records. But instead EA made huge changes both for TS3 and TS4.

I have played many other games from diferent game series and different game companies. Those other game companies usually don't change the games in the same game series very much. But the Sims games have always been changed much more than I have seen in other game series and I am in no doubt why EA sees the need to do this - even though it is extremely expensive because it also means that EA has to pay Maxis for making a completely new game engine for each game and such new game engines take years to develop.

The reason is that the Sims games differ from other game series by having a huge number of expansions. This means that if EA just let Maxis use the same game engine then it would be hard to convince people to buy the new basegame if it was only a slightly improved version of the previous basegame but without any yet released expansions. Why would people then buy the new game when they had so many expansions for the previous game?

As an example let us look at the Sims 2 game engine. This game engine wasn't only used for the basegame and all its expansions. It was actually also used to build new games which became the Sims Life Stories, the Sims Pets Stories and the Sims Castaway Stories. All those games were build on the Sims 2 game engine too and therefore very cheap for EA to develop.

But EA ordered Maxis to make a completely new game engine for TS3 and this new game engine was also use for the Sims Medieval. But not for TS4 which EA again ordered Maxis to make a new game engine for - so the game could be a new game and sufficiently different from TS3 for people to be curious to buy TS4 immediately and not wait until some of the expansions had been released too.

Therefore I am not worried about TS5 for your mentioned reasons because I know that EA will order a new game engine for this game too and for the same reasons as mentioned above. Toddlers will almost certainly return exactly because they were omitted in TS4 (even though they were planned but removed anyway because EA finally chose to use the allocated money to solve other problems instead).

What worries me much more is what EA will focus on in TS5 because I am sure that EA again will target the game at young inexperienced teens who never played TS2 or TS3. This could be themes about social gaming, dressing, partying or other things which inexperienced young teens are supposed to like.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    aaronjc123 wrote: »
    Excellent! The Sims 5 is being funded! :smiley:

Indeed - and all because many people enjoy playing TS4. Shocking, I know! :D

Correction: many people bought the Sims 4. It was going to sell well regardless, as it is riding the success of the previous games.
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member
    I'm hoping that with all the capabilities the engine actually has. They really need to allow an option for people with good computers to have the ability to load each district with its lots loaded and ready to play with a sim walking simply into it. It may not be as good as an open world but atleast it's better than seeing a lot that's loaded and still needing to have it load for the selected lot's sims to be loaded. This is not needed as it's way past TS2 era.

Please Maxis. The loading screens are eating me alive.

I agree with this!
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited June 2016
    i bought it. i even pre-ordered it. i will not make that mistake again. ts4 cured me of ever buying anything from ea without waiting for copious reviews again.

edit: and, if ts4 is really selling well, why isn't ea screaming it from the rooftops like they did with ts3? ea isn't subtle about patting their own back.
  • Options
    Darkslayer wrote: »

Happy Simming

Peace

Well said *nods*.
    Some (many) discussions in this forum appear to be focused on the players and their gaming preferences rather than the game itself, and too many times things are taken to that personal, and totally uncalled for, level.
    What exactly do you find 'well said' in that post then, which is totally dedicated to "those people" and "we're trading one group of obnoxious people for another"? In other words: focused on players, not the game itself? Or is it allright to slate people as long as it's not the people you happen to agree with?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    NatKingSimNatKingSim Posts: 757 Member

Sims 1, Sims 2, and Sims 3 were for all ages as well. Sims 4 on the other hand feel very young: simple, fast, silly, shallow, low spec, etc. This has resulted in other age groups hesitating to buy or not fully enjoying the game.
    bI7Zx0.gif
    Download below