Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    So it's too 'simple' to be modular? That's a shame.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Azarinop2Azarinop2 Posts: 776 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm hoping that with all the capabilities the engine actually has. They really need to allow an option for people with good computers to have the ability to load each district with its lots loaded and ready to play with a sim walking simply into it. It may not be as good as an open world but atleast it's better than seeing a lot that's loaded and still needing to have it load for the selected lot's sims to be loaded. This is not needed as it's way past TS2 era.

Please Maxis. The loading screens are eating me alive.
    Me on a spiritual level
    30vnk7k.gif
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Azarinop2 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that with all the capabilities the engine actually has. They really need to allow an option for people with good computers to have the ability to load each district with its lots loaded and ready to play with a sim walking simply into it. It may not be as good as an open world but atleast it's better than seeing a lot that's loaded and still needing to have it load for the selected lot's sims to be loaded. This is not needed as it's way past TS2 era.

Please Maxis. The loading screens are eating me alive.

Sadly, that's not possible to get rid of loading screens in a neighborhoods. To put it simply, each lot is its own world
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    edited June 2016
    It's nice that we've got some form of statistics for how much the game has sold, it will likely reach 6 million before the end of the year I bet :3 <If it's not statistics for sales, what else could be so important as to make a badge for it?>

Good job Sims Team :) Thanks for making my favorite PC game <3
    Post edited by Prink34320 on
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    And again arn't we kinda back to sqaure one? No one knows what the 5M stands for AT ALL. No one from either side should get hyped up about this. This also would not change the fact of TS4 improvments, lack there-of, and the FACT (Not Opinion) that TS4 has recieved more negativity and controversy surrounding it than any other Sims game. It could sell 500 million for all anyone cares, it doesn't change anything and doesn't mean TS5 could be any better or worse.

Actually, if it's true that Sims 4 is at 5 million+ sales already in its lifecycle, it's a clear indication to the company the game's direction is the right one. Apparently Sims 3 only sold 7 million or so in its entire lifecycle and that was how many years compared to just... 2 here so far?

This is why I laugh everytime someone brings up Sims 4 retail sales at like 2-3 million. Because Origin exists. I haven't bought a single retail thing for the game, but I have every pack thanks to Origin. Those sales matter more than people think around here it seems.

I don't think simmers realize how many new simmers Sims 3 brought in who didn't have a clue about this game. That's because Sims 3 was out of the norm of how sims is played.

That's a very interesting opinion that I disagree with.

The Sims 3 attracted new players based on what it had to offer, not because it was some abnormal game that had no correlation or connection to The Sims franchise. That's absurd. The Sims 4 is also completely different from The Sims 1-3 does that make it out of the norm? Wouldn't each game that released differently be "out of the norm"?

Is there even a "normal" way to play The Sims? The way you play, and the way I play are probably very different. The way I play, and the way other hundreds of thousands of players play are more than likely different. There is no "norm" in The Sims. Unless I've been playing wrong all of these years... Then again, I don't think anyone, including yourself, has the authority to make that kind of assumption.

It's just the sims 3 made it more goal-oriented than before. With WA and the world exploration. They wanted to try the open world concept of other games but then the sims themselves lost a lot of attention. It drew players who played other open world games in. And to them, the level of customization to the sims themselves and how they play was/is different to the level of playing with other game characters.

To me, Sims 3 is way out of the norm of the sims franchise. I prefer this one and sims 1-2.

The Sims 4 is the epitome of goal oriented gameplay. At almost every stage there are goals involved. Did the developers have to change goals in The Sims 3 because they were such a big problem? Nope, they gave us the ability to completely stop the goal driven dialogue boxes from appearing. Therefore removing all goals the player didn't initiate.

The Sims 3 was out of the norm for you because of the open world and creative feaures? I call those improvements, both of which were completely abandoned for the next entry. The Sims 4 is out of the norm. Look at what it doesn't have, compared to what others did. That says enough.

You sound like you're talking about another game. The only goals that are not optional are Career goals (which just combine Opportunities and Requirements).

None of the other goals are forced upon you, and no gameplay is missed by not completing them. Cannot say the same about The Sims 2 or 3, where gameplay is reserved for completing goals, or gameplay can only be experienced through Goals (Sims 3).

I kind of disagree with this sentence as you can bypass the Career Goals by using Cheats and you can even just use Cheats when the Performance Bar is full if you like(although I personally don't do this since I prefer the realistic way of learning new skills and earning the promotion). I think that the only Goal-oriented thing in The Sims 4 that you can't even cheat your way out of is the Dates and even Welcome Wagon, they're the only events that aren't optional to complete even with cheats.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited June 2016
    Most veteran Sims players have bought TS4 out of love for the franchise. This game was aimed at a younger audience, so of course if you collectively keep making more games in a series, it's gonna draw more fans and more sales. But sales have nothing to do with how happy people are with the game after the fact, though. I for one bought the game and never even play it anymore. And please stop saying, "it just needs more time to get more content" if 11 packs don't draw me in, even a little, no amount ever will.
    edited June 2016
    Why do people call The Sims 4 a 'casual game' and not the other 3 games? The series in itself is entirely composed of casual gaming. At least for me, I played each Sims game casually. Although in technicality, I guess that would sometimes depend on the players?
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    Why do people call The Sims 4 a 'casual game' and not the other 3 games? The series in itself is entirely composed of casual gaming. At least for me, I played each Sims game casually. Although in technicality, I guess that would sometimes depend on the players?

I think all Sims games are pretty casual. To me, though, TS4 does feel more casual than the others. For me, it's because I felt like there wasn't much to do in the game beyond chatting, eating, woohoo, whatever. It's easier to keep your sims happy, in fact "Happy" was the emotion that I saw the most. There are little to no fail states for when things go wrong. There are no longer as many random events that you just suddenly have to deal with. And in the bigger scheme of things, there is no world building or editing, traits matter less, life stages and generational play are easier and less challenging, kids basically take care of themselves, there are no T-words to train and look after.

None of this makes the game bad, exactly, because it's all about what you're looking for in a game. But, yes, it comes across as much more casual and directed more at easy, light play. Play TS4 for a couple of hours, then try playing TS2 and you definitely notice a difference.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    edited June 2016
    Most veteran Sims players have bought TS4 out of love for the franchise. This game was aimed at a younger audience, so of course if you collectively keep making more games in a series, it's gonna draw more fans and more sales. But sales have nothing to do with how happy people are with the game after the fact, though. I for one bought the game and never even play it anymore. And please stop saying, "it just needs more time to get more content" if 11 packs don't draw me in, even a little, no amount ever will.

That's pretty much how I feel. Nearly 2 years 11 packs is plenty of time and content. It is what it is. You like it or you don't. All I've seen is a lot of "stuff" and not much that actually has a big impact on the game itself.
    It's nice that we've got some form of statistics for how much the game has sold, it will likely reach 6 million before the end of the year I bet :3<If it's not statistics for sales, what else could be so important as to make a badge for it?>

It's definitely possible that it means sales, and that's a good guess, but if EA/Maxis doesn't actually release the sales numbers, then we're all still in the dark.

It could mean 5 million base game, it could mean 5 million units total (including the packs), it could mean 5 million visits to the gallery, it could mean 5 muffins, lol. I mean, who knows? I just don't guess about things like that because we're lacking facts. I'm not saying that it doesn't mean 5 million sales, I'm just saying all I see is a badge with "5M" on it, and that doesn't mean much to me without any other information.

EDIT: Did he delete the tweet?
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

That's pretty much how I feel. Nearly 2 years 11 packs is plenty of time and content. It is what it is. You like it or you don't. All I've seen is a lot of "stuff" and not much that actually has a big impact on the game itself.
    It's nice that we've got some form of statistics for how much the game has sold, it will likely reach 6 million before the end of the year I bet :3<If it's not statistics for sales, what else could be so important as to make a badge for it?>

It's definitely possible that it means sales, and that's a good guess, but if EA/Maxis doesn't actually release the sales numbers, then we're all still in the dark.

It could mean 5 million base game, it could mean 5 million units total (including the packs), it could mean 5 million visits to the gallery, it could mean 5 muffins, lol. I mean, who knows? I just don't guess about things like that because we're lacking facts.

I think there's definitely more than 5 millions visits on the gallery when there are 12 million uploaded items. XD
    edited June 2016
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

It could mean 5 million base game, it could mean 5 million units total (including the packs), it could mean 5 million visits to the gallery, it could mean 5 muffins, lol. I mean, who knows? I just don't guess about things like that because we're lacking facts.

I think there's definitely more than 5 millions visits on the gallery when there are 12 million uploaded items. XD

I know. :) I'm also sure it has nothing to do with muffins, that was a bit of a joke.

But, just to play Devil's Advocate, we don't know how long ago that button was made. :wink:
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    For me the Sims 4 is casual in that it is as easy or easier to play than the Sims Freeplay. Very user friendly. Like so easy, I was able to play it after on high pain meds that made my brain feel like jelly. Those were good times because I was so high on pain meds after gallbladder removal surgery I didn't notice the bugs or flaws of the Sims 4. Then they wore off and I got woken up by reality. :'( But yes if anyone is going through a major surgery or operation or health issues that causes the brain to wander, I'd recommend the Sims 4. It is the easiest of the bunch to play and nothing bad really happens in the game. I mean the game can literally play without you, which worked for me when I was so sick after surgery. Actually when my brain fogs are bad too, the Sims 4 is good too because my brain feels like a veggie then. Perfect no brain power game to play.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I would only call The Sims 4, or any Sims PC game, casual because you can be online doing other things at the same time while your Sim is doing things. Otherwise, I have a hard time thinking it's casual when my simming sessions tend to be about 2 hours on average.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    So talk of the forums is about the recent sales figures, and I see some differing opinions about what this means for the game and the future of the series.

Personally I think that it is great that TS4 is selling well and I am not even playing the game but instead I am waiting for future games which may not happen if it was not for positive sales.

I just do not understand the debating however. Why should it matter if the game sales loads? Would that actually effect anyone else's enjoyment over the game? It is easy to say that TS4 might have had a bumpy ride at first but as it appears, there have been some improvements made which a lot of players are happy with. Can these players not actually enjoy the fact that their game is actually slowly becoming popular and will be treated to new content in the future?

It does seem that maybe some players want to see the game fail as maybe that way they will then get the content that they are asking for but myself, I want the series to thrive, be open to new ideas as well as enhance previous features and make them stronger! :smiley:

Weather or not the game is selling a lot or little should effect anyone else's enjoyment of the game and if you don't enjoy TS4, maybe you should be happy that there is now a very good chance of a TS5 coming in a few years which I am also waiting for :smile:

Happy Simming

Peace
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Sales don't affect my present enjoyment of the game, but are higly likely to affect my future enjoyment of the game, because more sales mean more packs most likely.

That's why I'm happy if TS4 sales are great :smile:
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,227 Member
    edited June 2016
    My thoughts, The Sims Studio never see the color of the money, EA already used it somewhere else.

If The Sims Studio could use all the money, we would get an EP each month because the team would be bigger.
    Or we would get both quality and quantity instead of a big quantity of low quality content like the latest patch.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I don't understand why this has to be a Sims 3 Vs. Sims 4 thing or about the desirableness of the personal qualities of Sims 4 players? The game's doing well. That means the franchise is doing well. Which is probably good, right? Maybe we could just be happy for the franchise instead of putting each other and the various game versions down, just for once :(
    Even though I like the general message in your post, for me it doesn't work that way because Sims 4 selling well means people embracing/accepting things that I far from embrace or accept. Which is probably why this version vs version is happening in the first place, because of course it's exactly the same way for people who didn't embrace features like toddlers, open world and CASt. And which is why they keep screaming Sims 3 had poor sales. Apart from that: money they made with Sims 3 apparently was used to create a completely different game, so there aren't any guarantees they'll spend Sims money on a Sims game. For me Sims 4 selling well is a bad thing. Is it selling well by the way? Is the 5M button all there is to indicate that? Somehow this team loves cryptograms and riddles. I much prefer calling a spade a spade myself.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    edited June 2016
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Azarinop2 wrote: »
    I think it's because of Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Zoella & Alfie etc. Who're advertising/playing the game making kids want it and buying it. They'll have no knowledge of the previous games and won't expect anything as they never experienced anything better from the previous iterations. It's annoying because Maxis will now make content for the unknowlegable kids/newbies more so than us oldies.

I'm probably weong like I am with everything but it was just a thought and i'm sticking with my opinion. Thankyou.

I kinda fail at seeing how turning to a younger audiance is wrong, especially for business.
    Not thinking about attracting younger gamers and make games enjoyable for them is a bit like a suicide move, since newbies are future cash if you manage to catch them. A gaming industry that doesn't work for that can't have a really bright future for its sales.
    It's wrong when you realize not only young people play games. Focusing on just one audience, ignoring other audiences, is never a smart decision I think. As for sales: I'm not young and I do have money to spend. Money I'm not spending right now. I wasn't young when I started playing Sims 3 by the way and I was completely new to the game back then. So you don't have to be young to be introduced to something for the first time.

I never said that only young people play the game. And I never said you have to be young to be introduced to a game for the first time. I just said that not aiming at younger gamers at all and keep addressing at the same audience over and over again, for years, is not a smart business move in the long run, if you want to keep the franchise fresh and alive.
    Feel free to disagree :)
    Games should be for all ages. Sims 4 is a game for all ages. The fact that it lacks features that were dear to many gamers or that it doesn't have stunning, amazing, super immersive gameplay is a different thing. And subjective too.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    The problem is, seeing that TS4 has sold so many copies (even more already than 2 and 3 in their lifespan apparently) it means that the chances of TS5 being more like TS4 than any of the others is more likely. For us who feel like 4 is missing stuff, this is problematic and worrying. We fear that because the lack of toddlers and family play hasn't left a dint in the games earnings, the developers may think why bother spending money adding them in future iterations if they can make more money adding in as little content as they can get away with.
  • Azarinop2Azarinop2 Posts: 776 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    The problem is, seeing that TS4 has sold so many copies (even more already than 2 and 3 in their lifespan apparently) it means that the chances of TS5 being more like TS4 than any of the others is more likely. For us who feel like 4 is missing stuff, this is problematic and worrying. We fear that because the lack of toddlers and family play hasn't left a dint in the games earnings, the developers may think why bother spending money adding them in future iterations if they can make more money adding in as little content as they can get away with.

Hit the nail on the head ;)
    Me on a spiritual level
    30vnk7k.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @jackjack_k the opportunities were like little side mini-games, and were much more open-ended in terms of how to achieve them than TS4's mini-games. But as always you're free to form whatever opinion you want to have, as all of us are. It just definitely doesn't with mine, and I wholeheartedly disagree.

They can't be considered mini side games, when the bulk of some of the gameplay for EP's like University, WA and Ambitions are built around them, and have only one way to complete them.

Outside those packs, even if they are to the side, they are still required to be completed to experience the full gameplay of the game, as a lot of gameplay is exclusive by completing them. (for example my Sim wrote a biography of his manager, that could only be done via Opportunity. Otherwise he only wrote books that didn't sell for as much. Another Sim entered a eating competition (not Seasons), chess competition etc. lots of gameplay there that's reserved just for those quests).

They aren't really side games if they withhold gameplay that can't otherwise be completed.
    When you install the base game only, a lot of the activities in the open world can only be experienced by completing the goals.

If you want to play the tombs in WA, or the careers I'm AMB then yes, the Opportunities system is an integrated part of the gameplay. But you can also take your sim to the WA worlds without doing Opps at all, and you don't have to play the careers in AMB. The Opps are definitely not required for Uni because I rarely do them, and I don't play ITF at all so can't comment on that.

But I don't see why you think the optional Opp system was more directed than every blessed career in TS4, especially the GTW careers that lead you around by the nose all day long, or all the goals for kids in school, or all the party goals, etc. etc. so again I disagree with you.
    My problem by the way isn't the game having goals, I love a direction. Sandbox - if I am correct - just means it never ends, you can never say "I completed this game". It doesn't literally mean a box filled with virtual sand, now enjoy yourself. I don't mind goals, I like goals, but I don't like goals that leave no room for own interpetation or approach. I like goals that go like "Hi, I'm Pierre and I'd like you to find this relic for me, in your own time". Not goals like "Hi, I'm Pierre and I want you to find 3 gems and 5 beetles before night falls and then you have to sing me a little song - this specific song, not that one - and if you don't it's game over". My issue with Sims 4 isn't that it has goals, the issue is that it has boring goals. Checklist goals. And if I ignore them, there's no direction or challenge whatsoever, then it's literally a sandbox, but not a game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2016
    @Simanite wrote: »

Or:

Since the Sims 4 is holding up so well, and they are upgrading visual aspects etc, and the fact they chose an artstyle that doesn't age, perhaps instead of investing money into The Sims 5, they'll continue to add to The Sims 4.

Unlike a year after The Sims 2, where half the developers moved to The Sims 3, with The Sims 2, developers moved onto The Sims 3 about 18 months later, all the current Devs are still working on The Sims 4.

We knew after a year that both The Sims 2, 3 and 4 were coming.

It seems strange to me that EA would invest in adding features like the Unisex CAS, improved lighting, and upgrading the graphics of Sims and Objects (objects have better appearance, especially circular objects), instead of just giving people more reason to buy a Sims 5. Perhaps they just want to make Freeplay and 4 the "go to game" for more than just 4 years (5 years at a push).

So perhaps those kind of things are coming, since the base game has an audience that keeps on growing.

Maybe one of the reasons EA had the 5 year plan was because the games sold the majority in the first year and the audience stopped expanding. The Sims 4 grew two thirds in its second year, and may grow another half in its third.

They may not need a new game to expand the audience anymore. They may just continue to grow the audience of 4.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    Sales don't reflect my opinion on ANYTHING! The quality of the product does. I don't have as much love for TS4 as I have the others in the series, but I don't hate it either. Restaurants have been number one on my want list since the VERY second I learned there wasn't any. I am pretty darn disappointed with Dine out. A clean, no mods, no CC completely vanilla game is extremely buggy. It don't matter if the restaurant is premade or one you built. It is hit and miss with the wait staff serving the patrons. Sometimes they take orders and serving customers all night. Or they just might take one order, serve that order and then stand over the ONE table all night with the chance they might wet themselves.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´