Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

Comments

• Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited June 2016
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @jackjack_k the opportunities were like little side mini-games, and were much more open-ended in terms of how to achieve them than TS4's mini-games. But as always you're free to form whatever opinion you want to have, as all of us are. It just definitely doesn't with mine, and I wholeheartedly disagree.

They can't be considered mini side games, when the bulk of some of the gameplay for EP's like University, WA and Ambitions are built around them, and have only one way to complete them.

Outside those packs, even if they are to the side, they are still required to be completed to experience the full gameplay of the game, as a lot of gameplay is exclusive by completing them. (for example my Sim wrote a biography of his manager, that could only be done via Opportunity. Otherwise he only wrote books that didn't sell for as much. Another Sim entered a eating competition (not Seasons), chess competition etc. lots of gameplay there that's reserved just for those quests).

They aren't really side games if they withhold gameplay that can't otherwise be completed.
    When you install the base game only, a lot of the activities in the open world can only be experienced by completing the goals.

If you want to play the tombs in WA, or the careers I'm AMB then yes, the Opportunities system is an integrated part of the gameplay. But you can also take your sim to the WA worlds without doing Opps at all, and you don't have to play the careers in AMB. The Opps are definitely not required for Uni because I rarely do them, and I don't play ITF at all so can't comment on that.

But I don't see why you think the optional Opp system was more directed than every blessed career in TS4, especially the GTW careers that lead you around by the nose all day long, or all the goals for kids in school, or all the party goals, etc. etc. so again I disagree with you.

But by not doing them, you miss out on the game. Of course nothing is required, but to play the whole games worth of game-play, you need to do them. Uni has course based Opportunities, which need to be done to get the right grade. I don't mean the Party ones or whatever :)

I'm just saying, The Sims 4 goals don't block of gameplay, unless its for Careers. Nothing wrong with how The Sims 3 does it, it's just different. But still an objective/goal/quest.
  • Options
    @Rflong7 Yes I agree about a CAW tool. Some players would really appreciate that :smile:

I think most of us would even like just a template (grass, roads, lots) and just be able to decorate it how we wish (choose the backdrop objects, trees, flowers, objects etc.)

That's why a lot of us want that Town Life EP, which says we could be able to do that.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @Arletta wrote: »
    I don't get why we've got to fight about this.

The 5M could be any number of things. (Views on Youtube, Number of insults collected, Days or years worked) If it has sold 5 million copies, good. That means the franchise is surviving. If it hasn't, it's still surviving.

It doesn't mean we've got to batter each other to death with the pro's and con's of each iteration. They all have pro's and they all have con's. What they are is the opinion of the person involved. We don't need to be having 'My game's better than yours' discussions.

I just see a discussion over preference, for the most part.
    The game has already sold 2.5 physical copies, it's not hard to assume it was able to sell that much digitally too.

I don't see anyone saying "Well 5 million or not, my opinion means everything!!! The game flopped" LOL :joy:
  • Options
    @Rflong7 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Rflong7 Yes I agree about a CAW tool. Some players would really appreciate that :smile:

I think most of us would even like just a template (grass, roads, lots) and just be able to decorate it how we wish (choose the backdrop objects, trees, flowers, objects etc.)

That's why a lot of us want that Town Life EP, which says we could be able to do that.

Lots of you do? I don't see this Lots of you.... Everytime I say lots or many I get tossed a raspberry. :lol:

I don't want flat trees to *put on the boundaries or empty buildings to make it look "Cool." I want a world creator that not only lets me Choose which neighborhoods go together but what they all look like and their layout.

I mean lots of us would prefer that over nothing at all. We would all want a CAW, but that's just not going to happen. The Sims 4 is too complex. That was discussed in another thread somewhere.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    It does make me happy for the Sims future I admit that future Sims games could be safe. It will be interesting to see where the series goes 15 years from now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Complex? Ahahahaaaa! It's Simplistic layout of neighborhoods. Pffft.

I don't care about neighbourhood layout. I care about the sims living in them.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I care about the sims in the neighborhood and I care about expansion of the neighborhood as well.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options

Every asset from the world is built from the ground up. Like most video games.
    Building a hood for The Sims 4 would be like building a level for a video game.

It's created from scratch. Not using SimCity like tools, of molding terrain, placing roads etc. For example, when they put a road in the game, that road gets designed from scratch. It's not placed down with a tool. That's just one example.
  • Options
    Thing with if the game did sell that many, I don't want to hear anymore "too expensive" excuses of why features can't be done because they can. I have had enough of the "woe as me" excuses when it comes to developing this iteration of Sims. Gurus can do features that Simmers want. They have the talent and means to now. Only reason preventing them now is if they don't want to, that's all. I want the Sims 4 to have to best future possible, so now to continue to attract both old and new customers should be the goal for Maxis.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Hmmm, guess Sims 4 is too complex to let it's end users make their own neighborhoods.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    It does make me happy for the Sims future I admit that future Sims games could be safe. It will be interesting to see where the series goes 15 years from now.

Yes I agree, at least the future of the series is 'safe' for now :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    We have no idea what "5M" means. Why all the fuss?

EA hasn't verified any sales numbers, so everything is conjecture.

Anyway, if it is 5 million sold, that has me more worried for the future.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Exactly, because that just means they will continue putting out stuff that isn't suited to my playstyle at all.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Kelleygirl wrote: »
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

Exactly, because that just means they will continue putting out stuff that isn't suited to my playstyle at all.

Yeah. They basically know that they can ignore core gameplay and keep heaping stuff like ice cream makers and popcorn on top of the base and all will be fine.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    DarleymikeyDarleymikey Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited June 2016
    Likelysold 5 million? Is that base game only, or is that when you include the half dozen stuff/game-packs?

Reminds me of that South Park episode where they were 'reporting' death tolls in the 100's of millions from a beaver 🐸🐸🐸🐸 breaking.
    wallshot_zps9l41abih.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited June 2016
    Excellent! The Sims 5 is being funded! :smiley:

Actually EA is pouring money from some of their IP's to other games, the whole percentage of what they save (without employee salary) is not going to go to TS5. But the other way around may happen later...so..
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Yeah that's really awesome. Hopefully it will motivate the devs to do even better! :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    Yeah that's really awesome. Hopefully it will motivate the devs to do even better! :D

That will always depend on how much budget does EA provide tbh :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Yeah pretty much.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Agree, but I also believe money doesn't equal to quality. :)
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    Woot! Now they have money to add what the rest (Me) of the players want?!

I hope they do too! I miss your worlds!!!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
  • Options

Every asset from the world is built from the ground up. Like most video games.
    Building a hood for The Sims 4 would be like building a level for a video game.

It's created from scratch. Not using SimCity like tools, of molding terrain, placing roads etc. For example, when they put a road in the game, that road gets designed from scratch. It's not placed down with a tool. That's just one example.

OMGoodness--- You got to make a S4 world? Marvelous. It must be easy, like biscuits from scratch... cause withoout a program to make them, then wow- how not to have a plan, @Maxis.

No, but we have insight of how it's developed, again discussed in another thread. Devs talked about it on Reddit.

They design everything using actual 3D rendering tools, not SimCity like CAW program.