Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has already sold 5 million copies

1121314151618...Next

Comments

• Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    jaxie086 wrote: »
    fullspiral wrote: »
    It's a winner! And will blow past series out of the water. :p

This is just false. All the past series blow sims 4 out of the water

Oh look. Someone passing their opinion as fact, definitely never saw this kind of post coming. *shocking* :expressionless:
    Look at all the simmers succumbed to marketing!! Which doesn't surprise me, sims 4 marketing has been milking it

I find that TS4's marketing has overall sucked. So far my favorites were the academy trailers and the get together trailers. But essentially calling people sheep because they don't agree with you is quite rude.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited June 2016
    Half or more of the sales are digital. They, as with just about every other major company, don't discuss digital sales. It's probably got to do with retail relationships and such, but until it becomes the primary distribution for gaming, that's how it is. I'm sure it's not hard to see how the big retailers aren't happy they aren't the only means to sell games anymore.

Companies discuss digital sales.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/26/digital-gaming-sales-hit-record-61-billion-in-2015-report.html

It's just that the NPD (which is where the ESA gets its data from for its top sellers lists) does not count digital sales.

http://n4g.com/news/1850847/esa-slams-npd-for-misleading-2015-video-game-sales-numbers
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »
    Half or more of the sales are digital. They, as with just about every other major company, don't discuss digital sales. It's probably got to do with retail relationships and such, but until it becomes the primary distribution for gaming, that's how it is. I'm sure it's not hard to see how the big retailers aren't happy they aren't the only means to sell games anymore.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/01/26/digital-gaming-sales-hit-record-61-billion-in-2015-report.html

It's just that the NPD (which is where the ESA gets its data from for its top sellers lists) does not count digital sales.

http://n4g.com/news/1850847/esa-slams-npd-for-misleading-2015-video-game-sales-numbers

That first link says nothing about the companies themselves talking about sales. It's from "SuperData Research". There are plenty of third party sites calculating sales from Steam (like SteamSpy) as well. It doesn't mean Valve mentions sales, because they don't. Companies aren't open about it.

I'm sure there are ways for the third parties to track and/or estimate sales, meaning they're not necessarily wrong in the numbers, so I'm not discounting that.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    edited June 2016
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

That first link says nothing about the companies themselves talking about sales. It's from "SuperData Research". There are plenty of third party sites calculating sales from Steam (like SteamSpy) as well. It doesn't mean Valve mentions sales, because they don't. Companies aren't open about it.

I'm sure there are ways for the third parties to track and/or estimate sales, meaning they're not necessarily wrong in the numbers, so I'm not discounting that.

Fair enough. However, companies do talk about digital sales data as it becomes a more common way to obtain games.

I'd guess that this counts digital, for instance.
    https://zhugeex.com/2016/02/the-grand-theft-auto-series-has-sold-in-more-than-235-million-units-worldwide/

Prevalence of digital sales and how to reach players, and collect data definitely seems like something companies are adjusting to, though.

EDIT: This is interesting. From SuperData Research:
    Every month we collect the spending data of millions of unique paying online gamers directly from publishers and developers, totaling 50+ publishers and 500+ game titles.
    https://www.superdataresearch.com

So, they say they get it straight from the publishers. *shrug* Admittedly, I don't know much about them.
    Post edited by GabbyGirlJ on
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    inmyeye wrote: »
    Quite the hullabaloo goin' on. Maybe the 5 means only 5 bugs were introduced with the newest patch. o:)

Yes but it's 5M and 5 million bugs introduced with the latest patch is far more believable.
    raw
  • mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    While that was a good number, lets not get ahead of ourselves. How did it do compared to sims 1 or 3 in that same time frame? You also have to remember that there are far more computers and people playing games now then there was back then. Someone mentioned that TS 4 was the best selling game last year? You have to remember that ts4 only sold on computers. If you look at the list of the top selling PC games last year, all those it beat sold on multiple platforms. Had they all sold just on PC, TS 4 would have been close to the bottom.

While 5M is a respectable number, that is how many units they have sold. The interesting thing to see would be, out of the 5m units sold, how many are still being played a month after purchase? I bet that number is less than 10% of that 5M.

At least they are making some money so you just might get a sims 5.
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    Omaira wrote: »
    Azarinop2 wrote: »
    I think it's because of Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Zoella & Alfie etc. Who're advertising/playing the game making kids want it and buying it. They'll have no knowledge of the previous games and won't expect anything as they never experienced anything better from the previous iterations. It's annoying because Maxis will now make content for the unknowlegable kids/newbies more so than us oldies.

I'm probably weong like I am with everything but it was just a thought and i'm sticking with my opinion. Thankyou.

I kinda fail at seeing how turning to a younger audiance is wrong, especially for business.
    Not thinking about attracting younger gamers and make games enjoyable for them is a bit like a suicide move, since newbies are future cash if you manage to catch them. A gaming industry that doesn't work for that can't have a really bright future for its sales.

True, but in the same line a gaming industry that ignores the oldies that made it big in the past is just another way of committing suicide, we are still here, don't ignore us or forget us, we spend our money too, Why? I just bought TS4 and an expansion and don't even play it, but I like the franchise and want to keep it alive, we love you, love us back.

That's definitely also true.
    I never meant to say that focusing on younger gamers should equal ending the relationship with older players. In an ideal world, nobody would be ignored, or left out.
    It's just my own personal belief that a franchise needs to be loved by many generations to stay successful through time, especially decades.

I agree with you, but I also find that in paying too much attention to attracting new players they (perhaps inadvertently) neglect the existing players. (My opinion).
    It happens in many other aspects of life, where I (and many like me, for we do exchange info too) feel we are being pushed aside and our contribution to whatever aspect of life we contributed to (in this case this game) is brushed under the carpet.
    Sad really, because it was our belief that we were more than marketing figures, and we are not, but worse is that we now know that they will do the same to those they are now trying so hard to please!
    However, I'm still around and will continue to make noise while I can, what else can I do?
    Jerrello wrote: »
    And again arn't we kinda back to sqaure one? No one knows what the 5M stands for AT ALL. No one from either side should get hyped up about this. This also would not change the fact of TS4 improvments, lack there-of, and the FACT (Not Opinion) that TS4 has recieved more negativity and controversy surrounding it than any other Sims game. It could sell 500 million for all anyone cares, it doesn't change anything and doesn't mean TS5 could be any better or worse.

Actually, if it's true that Sims 4 is at 5 million+ sales already in its lifecycle, it's a clear indication to the company the game's direction is the right one. Apparently Sims 3 only sold 7 million or so in its entire lifecycle and that was how many years compared to just... 2 here so far?

This is why I laugh everytime someone brings up Sims 4 retail sales at like 2-3 million. Because Origin exists. I haven't bought a single retail thing for the game, but I have every pack thanks to Origin. Those sales matter more than people think around here it seems.

I don't think simmers realize how many new simmers Sims 3 brought in who didn't have a clue about this game. That's because Sims 3 was out of the norm of how sims is played.

Me for one. I had never even heard of The Sims before, it was a friend that told me I should try the sims..and The Sims 3 was out just then.. so I tried and became addicted, that might be the reason why I am still playing the sims 3 and can not get to like the sims 4, but happy to see it doing well if it means a Sims 5..with open worlds please! (that's what makes it tick for me!)

I've definitely had my fun times with the sims 3 but it wasn't until more than half way through the series that I could really get into it. I couldn't play the sims 3 base game and have it keep my attention, packs like world adventures, and showtime just didn't do it for me. The sims 4 base game is actually good, and if it simply contained half of what the sims 3 base game could have been great.

It probably helped that I had never played the Sims before and so I became so used to TS3 that it's hard for me to relate to TS4.
    I certainly like the sims better than the woody version of ts3, if I could transfer ts4 sims to ts3 game I would be happy, but I do love my open world sooo much I just can't (haven't got the patience) keep waiting for loading screens, I know it does not bother a lot of people, but it does me.
    I also have learned that open worlds are very taxing on computers, so I'm happy for a lot of people that will be able to play the game better, but during the time of TS3 I changed my computer, preparing myself for TS4 (yeah! I'm ready.. TS4..16MB of a monster computer at the ready..he he) well, it serves me right!
    Still I bought TS4 and the first EP played for a while, nearly dropped off to sleep (honestly) and decided that this is not for me, not yet anyway, we will try some other time.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2016
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    It's a winner! And will blow past series out of the water. :p

This is just false. All the past series blow sims 4 out of the water

Oh look. Someone passing their opinion as fact, definitely never saw this kind of post coming. *shocking* :expressionless:
    Look at all the simmers succumbed to marketing!! Which doesn't surprise me, sims 4 marketing has been milking it

I find that TS4's marketing has overall plum. So far my favorites were the academy trailers and the get together trailers. But essentially calling people sheep because they don't agree with you is quite rude.
    Hmmm, guess the same can be said about another post in which this poster was commenting about and I do see this OP's post as an opinion.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    So.. why does it matter so much how many copies they have sold? If it means that there will be a TS5 (that might appeal to a lot more of us, those of us for whom TS4 is not appealing enough) may they sell 20 million copies and good to them. (I will be buying more EP's and whatever just for that) and I was once upon a time telling EA that I would not buy their products again!
    Thinking about it: I like the Sims, I want then to continue with this franchise, I might even get to like ts4, I see some improvements already.
    So plum the rest, I'll buy EA I'll buy.. just get a TS5 (with open worlds, toddlers, and ... a few other things, please!)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    So.. why does it matter so much how many copies they have sold? If it means that there will be a TS5 (that might appeal to a lot more of us, those of us for whom TS4 is not appealing enough) may they sell 20 million copies and good to them. (I will be buying more EP's and whatever just for that) and I was once upon a time telling EA that I would not buy their products again!
    Thinking about it: I like the Sims, I want then to continue with this franchise, I might even get to like ts4, I see some improvements already.
    So plum the rest, I'll buy EA I'll buy.. just get a TS5 (with open worlds, toddlers, and ... a few other things, please!)
    I agree with you but I do not see a lot of people going right out and buy TS 5 like most did with Sims 4 including me. Some are going to wait and see what is offered first and also any hype from EA/Maxis without any backing up that hype is not going to fly very well with some. I just hope TS5(if it happens) is better than Sims 4.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2016

Good Lord YES! Totally agree! The sooner the better.... This line in particular "just get a TS5 (with open worlds, toddlers, and ... a few other things, please!"

Open worlds are NOT an issue when done well - as I play numerous Open world games without issue - and once I fixed all the EA worlds in Sims 3 - I have no issues with those either. So most definitely want to go back to open world and toddlers. Also a world creator for heaven's sake. Please!

Sims 4 bores me to tears....

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited June 2016
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I agree with you but I do not see a lot of people going right out and buy TS 5 like most did with Sims 4 including me. Some are going to wait and see what is offered first and also any hype from EA/Maxis without any backing up that hype is not going to fly very well with some. I just hope TS5(if it happens) is better than Sims 4.

yep. i am done with throwing money at everything sims. i am done with pre-ordering anything with a plumbob. i want ea/maxis to get their act together and stop coasting off of their fans' good graces and the past successes of the franchise. i want ea/maxis to stop thinking that they can scrape together an inferior product that'll sell if they just stamp a pic of a dopey sim on it.

ideally i'd like a competitor to come along and give them a run for our money with a better or at least a comparable product and force them to actually try again, but until then i'm voting by not buying dreck.

edit: i care because if they keep coasting the franchise then it is eventually going to come to a dead stop and die. and i'd like to continue being able to play an interesting, fun version of the sims on into the future when i'm riding in my google self-driving car with my google glasses while a my apple iAssistant gives me my cranky old man meds dropped through the sunroof via my personal amazon plus delivery drone.
    Post edited by Bagoas77 on
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Azarinop2 wrote: »
    I think it's because of Youtubers like Pewdiepie, Zoella & Alfie etc. Who're advertising/playing the game making kids want it and buying it. They'll have no knowledge of the previous games and won't expect anything as they never experienced anything better from the previous iterations. It's annoying because Maxis will now make content for the unknowlegable kids/newbies more so than us oldies.

I'm probably weong like I am with everything but it was just a thought and i'm sticking with my opinion. Thankyou.

I kinda fail at seeing how turning to a younger audiance is wrong, especially for business.
    Not thinking about attracting younger gamers and make games enjoyable for them is a bit like a suicide move, since newbies are future cash if you manage to catch them. A gaming industry that doesn't work for that can't have a really bright future for its sales.

True, but in the same line a gaming industry that ignores the oldies that made it big in the past is just another way of committing suicide, we are still here, don't ignore us or forget us, we spend our money too, Why? I just bought TS4 and an expansion and don't even play it, but I like the franchise and want to keep it alive, we love you, love us back.

That's definitely also true.
    I never meant to say that focusing on younger gamers should equal ending the relationship with older players. In an ideal world, nobody would be ignored, or left out.
    It's just my own personal belief that a franchise needs to be loved by many generations to stay successful through time, especially decades.

I agree with you, but I also find that in paying too much attention to attracting new players they (perhaps inadvertently) neglect the existing players. (My opinion).
    It happens in many other aspects of life, where I (and many like me, for we do exchange info too) feel we are being pushed aside and our contribution to whatever aspect of life we contributed to (in this case this game) is brushed under the carpet.
    Sad really, because it was our belief that we were more than marketing figures, and we are not, but worse is that we now know that they will do the same to those they are now trying so hard to please!
    However, I'm still around and will continue to make noise while I can, what else can I do?

This is what happens when they aren't actually selling enough and they need to appeal to other audiences and age groups.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    And again arn't we kinda back to sqaure one? No one knows what the 5M stands for AT ALL. No one from either side should get hyped up about this. This also would not change the fact of TS4 improvments, lack there-of, and the FACT (Not Opinion) that TS4 has recieved more negativity and controversy surrounding it than any other Sims game. It could sell 500 million for all anyone cares, it doesn't change anything and doesn't mean TS5 could be any better or worse.

Actually, if it's true that Sims 4 is at 5 million+ sales already in its lifecycle, it's a clear indication to the company the game's direction is the right one. Apparently Sims 3 only sold 7 million or so in its entire lifecycle and that was how many years compared to just... 2 here so far?

This is why I laugh everytime someone brings up Sims 4 retail sales at like 2-3 million. Because Origin exists. I haven't bought a single retail thing for the game, but I have every pack thanks to Origin. Those sales matter more than people think around here it seems.

I don't think simmers realize how many new simmers Sims 3 brought in who didn't have a clue about this game. That's because Sims 3 was out of the norm of how sims is played.

Me for one. I had never even heard of The Sims before, it was a friend that told me I should try the sims..and The Sims 3 was out just then.. so I tried and became addicted, that might be the reason why I am still playing the sims 3 and can not get to like the sims 4, but happy to see it doing well if it means a Sims 5..with open worlds please! (that's what makes it tick for me!)
    And me. What people don't realize is that 'not having a clue' doesn't necessarily mean their opinions would be different if they would have had a clue. I have a clue now and still Sims 3 is my favourite, because it happens to cater to my personal preferences the best (I need some tools, some challenge, I need interaction with the game and most of all I need room, freedom and creativity. I'm glad I didn't have a clue, because it made Sims 3 a perfect experience because of that (well, perfect, forgetting about the bugs for a moment). Not only does it suit me best, I also wasn't plagued by things that were copy pasted, nor by things it 'missed'. Seasons in the game? Pets? Yes, that would be great! I waited for them doing other things but I didn't miss them as much as players who had been used to seasons and pets in the predecessor. I was like a child really, happy with everythng because everything was new.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited June 2016
    One of the reasons I feel they don't make a big deal out of selling 5 million is because, if they do, it'll be compared to past releases and be disregarded as, "surprising for this game, but not that important," by a lot of people. The other responses would be happiness at its success, and happiness for it, but worrying about whether that person's playstyle will be left out of the game because of how well it's doing without it. Also, people will never trust anything from something they don't particularly like, which is why I think the original Sim Guru just told us.

"But who trusts numbers? Just go with what your gut says."

Since he knows that people will probably not believe the numbers until it's given to them, and even then people still might not trust them, despite being given evidence to the contrary.

This is where we can all learn about confirmation bias, as it is apparent in these forums, no matter what "side" you're on.
    My guts say the game hasn't been doing all that good, which is why I could buy an expansion for half the price. Which makes me a buyer, adding to the sales, and it's a smart move, those sales, because I am enjoying myself with the game now, where I wouldn't have bought or experienced that if the EP wouldn't have been on sale. The fact people are so happy about this 5M thing is because everyone's gut says what mine does. Or are there similar topics on the old forums concerning sales figures for Sims 2 and 3? I know I never cared.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited June 2016
    Did they confirm it doesn't concern 5M sales including downloads?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kphillips2977kphillips2977 Posts: 135 Member
    I think this is great! I do not want the Sims to fail at all because I really do like the games contrary to the fact that I feel the sims 4 is missing stuff. If it fails that means there is potential for them not to continue on with it and that would upset me. I have been playing a new game and I must say that none of my Sims have been able to hold my attention or make me feel connected to them. However, I still hold out hope this will change as time passes by and if not then good sales means eventually a stronger potential for The Sims 5!!!!!! and this makes me happy!!!
    [img][/img]001701c.gif

• teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    One of the reasons I feel they don't make a big deal out of selling 5 million is because, if they do, it'll be compared to past releases and be disregarded as, "surprising for this game, but not that important," by a lot of people. The other responses would be happiness at its success, and happiness for it, but worrying about whether that person's playstyle will be left out of the game because of how well it's doing without it. Also, people will never trust anything from something they don't particularly like, which is why I think the original Sim Guru just told us.

Since he knows that people will probably not believe the numbers until it's given to them, and even then people still might not trust them, despite being given evidence to the contrary.

This is where we can all learn about confirmation bias, as it is apparent in these forums, no matter what "side" you're on.
    My guts say the game hasn't been doing all that good, which is why I could buy an expansion for half the price. Which makes me a buyer, adding to the sales, and it's a smart move, those sales, because I am enjoying myself with the game now, where I wouldn't have bought or experienced that if the EP wouldn't have been on sale. The fact people are so happy about this 5M thing is because everyone's gut says what mine does. Or are there similar topics on the old forums concerning sales figures for Sims 2 and 3? I know I never cared.

Agree with you JoAnne... when sims 3 was up.. I prepaid almost all the expansions with full price.. in sims 4 I try to get packs, expansions etc.. half price or lower:))) So logically thinking.. yes they could sell 5 mil copies because they often offer half prices sale.. but.. it means that this game is still average.. and still can go down and pretty fast.. although.. I have hopes it wont and still have faith that sims 4 might surprise us;))
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member

i thought about doing that briefly this week (buying ts4 EPs at half price), but i just can't do that without feeling icky to myself and my core belief that the base itself should be its own enticement to me wanting to get the EPs instead of hoping that the additional EPs will finally make the game interesting enough to play. why buy all of the water skiing equipment if your boat is already sinking?
    Did they confirm it doesn't concern 5M sales including downloads?

No. They still haven't confirmed anything at all about it as far as I'm aware.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • LuckyKittenCatLuckyKittenCat Posts: 4,640 Member
    now they probably have 8 million copies bought or something
    I am undead! :smiley: