Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Four minutes. That's how long my game takes to load.

Comments

• Options
    CharityHopeCharityHope Posts: 570 Member
    My game takes 1 minute and 15 seconds to load. Yes, I did time it. :D My saved game files take 1 minute and 30 seconds to load on average. Having tons of CC will make a huge difference in load times. I used to have 15 gigs and it took quite a bit longer to load than it does now. After realizing how little I used most of that CC I just deleted it from my game. I'm much happier with the performance of the game now.
  • Options
    CastaliaFeyCastaliaFey Posts: 47 Member

@sirguylittle Could you give a link to this page, please. I've just changed computers (going from Mac to PC) so I have a serious learning curve here. I bought a PC laptop to replace my aging Mac because I thought it would work better with Sims. (I just watched over half an episode of Last Ship and still loading...) I am beyond frustrated...
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited May 2016
    @CastaliaFey Here ya go, I'm pretty sure this was the link @sirguylittle was talking about.... http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Tips+For+Better+Game+Performance

Edit: Just saw, he did post the link in his post as well... It's in the highlighted portion that says "Tips for better game performance".
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    CastaliaFeyCastaliaFey Posts: 47 Member
    @ChelleJo I'm sorry. I can't believe I missed that. I'm just so frustrated and the forums aren't allowing me to post so I'm struggling with getting help for the multiple issues I have found since changing computers. Thanks so much. I really appreciate the help. Here's hoping I can work things out...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @CastaliaFey No worries. I completely missed it, too. It wasn't until after I posted that I saw it. :D

The reason you're having issues starting topics is because you are a "new member". We've had big problems with spam bots flooding the forums so they've changed the ability for new members to post start threads. If you head to the Sims 3 Tech forums (or sims 4 tech, if you're having problems with Sims 4) you can usually find someone with a similar problem and just post in that thread telling about your problem and someone will help you. We have lots of helpful, nice people here on both tech forums to help. :)
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    1 to 2 minutes from launching into my saved game. It's always been fast and that's over 3 different PCs I've had since Sims 3 released in 2009 (?)
  • Options
    LadyGreenEyesLadyGreenEyes Posts: 928 Member
    That sounds about right, with everything installed. I have that, and a decent amount of custom content, and it's 3-5 for a world. If I get impatient, I switch to TS2 for a while! No matter how long it takes, I don't think I could bring myself to mess with 4.
  • Options
    11Marrielle11Marrielle Posts: 87 Member

A lot of lucky people here... Four minutes is a blessing. My game just took 11 minutes to load (I timed it). Not a big deal unless it decides to crash itself during gameplay and I have to load the game again.
    You may copy or save my posted images, but do not claim them as your own.
    Wishlist: here.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I just timed mine out of interest too. 2 min and five seconds to load my main play save, and under 40 seconds to load my building save ( on a tiny world with nothing but half built houses )
    I haven't tested a new game load in a full world.

I have just over a gb of CC and most of the store.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    It's only time wasted if you sit and stare at the screen while you wait for it to load.
    Personally, I do other stuff while the game loads.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    It's only time wasted if you sit and stare at the screen while you wait for it to load.
    Personally, I do other stuff while the game loads.

Me too. That's usually when I make a cup of coffee, grab a snack or text my friends stupid memes. Something like that. :smile:
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    I'd kill to only wait four minutes. I run the game fairly smoothly on high settings, but it takes about 30 minutes to get into my maij save. :s
  • Options
    HaskorentaroHaskorentaro Posts: 250 Member
    I'd kill to only wait four minutes. I run the game fairly smoothly on high settings, but it takes about 30 minutes to get into my maij save. :s

It differs from person to person since people have different amounts of cc, expansions installed.

Sims 3 alone takes less than 1 minute
    tumblr_n5aovvMXfM1rwvdy0o1_500.gif
  • Options
    RikizziaRikizzia Posts: 648 Member
    edited May 2016
    are you kidding

four minutes? I have to wait an hour, half an hour on a good day. But this is in the main loading screen though, the one where you load your character and stuff. Thats what you guys are talking bout right?

But hey i guess its my fault my game is full of cc crap hahah
    YqMyRUI.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Rikizzia wrote: »
    are you kidding

four minutes? I have to wait an hour, half an hour on a good day. But this is in the main loading screen though, the one where you load your character and stuff. Thats what you guys are talking bout right?

I'm guessing most that have low load times are on SSD's. Since installing my games on SSD I have less than 4 minutes load time. That's from pressing play on the desktop all the way to being in game/save and playing (so both loading screens). With my HDD is was between 7-10 and up.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I'm not using SSD and my load times aren't excessive. I just try to keep my game clean with a little voodoo, low CC and lots of finger crossing ;)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    R3B3CKVHR3B3CKVH Posts: 473 Member
    I had to wait up to 15 minutes on my old laptop. Now it just takes a few, and that's awesome. I read somewhere that hitting the Windows button can unfreeze a game, so I hit the Windows button and paruse the forum. It seems to help with uploading time as well.. Or maybe I'm just busy on the forum and don't notice.
    Split Reflections: A Sim Story by R3B3CKVH
    www.splitreflections.wordpress.com
    Be Sure to Subscribe
    "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
    tumblr_lz7l7oGCyn1qevqqyo1_500.gif

• Options
    Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    R3B3CKVH wrote: »
    I had to wait up to 15 minutes on my old laptop. Now it just takes a few, and that's awesome. I read somewhere that hitting the Windows button can unfreeze a game, so I hit the Windows button and paruse the forum. It seems to help with uploading time as well.. Or maybe I'm just busy on the forum and don't notice.

I guess it's different for different computers. I have found that having the game load while I am perusing this site, extends the load times considerably. Sounds like you have a great computer. :)
  • Options
    pineapplerunawaypineapplerunaway Posts: 153 Member
    My game took an hour to load up one time. I was soo frustrated. It turned out my computer itself wanted to update, and once I did that it now takes around fifteen minutes. I have a lot of CC though. Try checking your computer for updates, PCs seem to slow down when they want you to update.
    Get off my lawn!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    The longest loading times I had were for Bridgeport and that was about three minutes though it was just before my fan died.I've not had that since the fan was replaced unless I tried to load a glitched save.My usual games can take as much as two minutes to load when they get very big and very well progressed.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    I used to have massive load times and like some people mentioned earlier I solved it using s3pe (or Save Cleaner does the same thing). It got rid of my Error Code 12s as well. My save folder went from around 2gb around a year ago to just under 1gb today. Highly recommend especially if you've been playing the same family or town for a long time.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Ohhh my....

So my save game had gotten a longer load time, still loaded in about - I don't know, eight minutes? Seemed like forever-ish anyway. It had been a very short load at the start since I made this world. I wrote it all off to the fact that I have been playing this save since last fall and I play quite a lot. I have also been stuffing folders with all sorts of CC and mods. Add to that I have been doing a lot of building and developing the characters who live in my world and so on and I thought this is just the price I pay.

Then I decided in a fleeting moment of un-stubbornness to 'what the heck, give S3PE a shot at removing these SNAP files and see what goes.'
    Well, what went down the first go-round was I annihilated my game because somehow I ended up deleting all the files, not just SNAP.
    I can't even.
    Thank goodness for a last second copy of the backup file. So much for my cockiness of 'oh, I've got this, I don't need to backup files, pfffffttt' (with added eyeroll for emphasis)
    Well, I didn't 'have this', but thankfully I do now and nothing was lost and my second attempt at cleaning went perfectly. :D

My save file was previously 290MB. It's been cut down to 37.

It loaded in less than a minute.

The biggest box of homemade cookies to @coco for finally, albeit unknowingly, giving me that final bit of urging to go ahead to do this already. I'd seen this mentioned before but just shrugged it off as maybe someday, it's probably too hard to do and probably wont make a difference anyway.

Well, it DID make a difference. A huge difference.
    Everybody--- DO IT!!!!
  • Options
    cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @Jessa_Dakkar Yay! I'm so happy for you! It literally changes everything doesn't it? Enjoy your super fast game o:)
  • Options
    @coco Between Save Cleaner and S3PE which one doesn't work with one of the patch levels? I know I've heard around about one not working with either patch 1.67 or 1.69. I never could remember, that's why I haven't messed with it.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Rikizzia wrote: »
    are you kidding

I'm guessing most that have low load times are on SSD's. Since installing my games on SSD I have less than 4 minutes load time. That's from pressing play on the desktop all the way to being in game/save and playing (so both loading screens). With my HDD is was between 7-10 and up.

Without SSD mine loads in around 4 minutes or less but I don't have a lot of CC (although I lately did add quite a bit more that still isn't merged and that is what pushed me up to the longer around 4 minutes) and only about half the store installed, plus not all expansion packs and currently no stuff packs. I do have some other things sitting here to install later (two more expansion packs and two or three stuff packs). We just a few days ago switched my old HD to an SSD then cloned the old one onto it but I've been busy doing other things and have yet to launch TS3 with it. One thing I can say for sure is that everything else I've done loads WAY more quickly, including rebooting the computer, which now boots just about as fast as a brand new installation of the OS with nothing installed on it.

Of course SSDs aren't exactly real cheap but if a person can afford it, it's a very worthy upgrade. I've had this PC over five years so it was due for a new HD anyway and I wanted to do it before I ended up with the old drive failing so we decided go ahead with the SSD. I also have 8 more GB of RAM coming for it, it's just too bad TS3 won't see any of it.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)