Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Four minutes. That's how long my game takes to load.

Four minutes to never have another loading screen unless I choose to travel to another world. Four freaking minutes. How awful. How could I ever wait such a huge amount of time? And this is with every pack installed.

So, let's see. Doing some math. Four minutes. 60 x 4 = 240 seconds. 240 divided by 20* = 12. 240 divided by 30* = 8.

*For me, Sims 4's loading screens take 20 - 30 seconds on average.

That's 8 to 12 loading screens I'd have to deal with in Sims 4 in the same amount of time if I wanted to travel. Uh...no!
752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif

Comments

• CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Same! But it's usually for a fresh new EA-made world save. Then it decreases as I play. For custom worlds, they vary. I loaded Prato di Livori from Latoya Sims in just 10 seconds, believe it or not.
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I feel the same way. I'd rather wait all at the start than have to go through a thousand short ones every time I wanted to go from one lot to another.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't have long loads either. About three minutes, if that, and I own all EP's and SP's except Katy Perry and movie stuff, and I own the store. I always have 1.5 gigs of CC, which isn't as much as most people, but most of it is default replacement.
    I get the odd hitch in the game around the time of 3am when Overwatch does its thing, but other than that, my game doesn't lag and my load screens aren't excessive.
    I keep my caches clear by deleting them after every play session, and keep my DCBackup folder empty, and do other little "voodoo" things that probably have absolutely no effect on the game, but just make me feel better about it, and I have no issues at all.

I don't play TS4 so I can't comment on how many load screens are present in that.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • FleurkweenFleurkween Posts: 235 Member
    edited February 2016
    I love Open World. It's awesome to zoom out and see what all the other sims are doing around town.
    \cat%20with%20tea_zpsejebanah.jpg
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    CandyCadet wrote: »
    Same! But it's usually for a fresh new EA-made world save. Then it decreases as I play. For custom worlds, they vary. I loaded Prato di Livori from Latoya Sims in just 10 seconds, believe it or not.
    This one wasn't a fresh save. I've had it for nearly a year and played with it a ton. It's not my biggest save, but it's got a long history.
  • CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    edited February 2016
    CandyCadet wrote: »
    This one wasn't a fresh save. I've had it for nearly a year and played with it a ton. It's not my biggest save, but it's got a long history.

EA-made? or Player-made? The lowest I've gone for an EA world, and this is Isla Paradiso, is a minute and a half. The amount of lots and sims in the game determine the load times :) As for Prato, it had none, but it has a lot of scenery :innocent:

Also, I suspect it's the case of World cache files. Deleting them refreshes the world but it's not advisable to keep deleting them or you'll keep returning to the initial loading time. But I heard you shouldn't do this to Macs lol I just keep them in and it helps with loading times for a while.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I dunno... waiting 4 minutes for a game to load... employing voodoo - y'all are clearly crazy. :wink:
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I have a shrine and everything. I sacrifice chocolates to the TS3 God of Smooth Gameplay.

;)
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I only took four minutes to get into a game because I'd left for a few minutes and it had loaded into the town while I was gone.I'd left to start a movie recording on DVD.It really takes up to two minutes to load a game.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    4 min is pretty short for me. Usually it takes longer. 7+ is not unusual, and I've had some saves take 20 min or more to load. Fortunately for those I could use NRaas MasterController to reset the entire town and get things back to 5 min load time. But I had to do that every 2 in-game weeks or so.
  • Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    It is usually about 10-15 minutes for me unless I choose to play a new game; then it takes a little longer. I do have all setting on high though. I guess it wouldn't kill me to lower some of them.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    10 minutes is average for me when I'm loading a world I've played for a long time. I run with all packs installed and settings on high. So, it's not bad at all considering the fact that I don't have to see another loading screen for the rest of my play session unless I do WA/UL/ITF stuff.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    I keep my settings on the lowest, not because my computer can't handle higher settings, but because I simply don't feel there's any need to have them high. Truthfully, after medium settings, they all look the same to me.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    My games load very quick too, still I prefer the sims 4 loading screens. After my lots feel so alive and I don't have to waste up to 3 hours just driving across town.

The open world was beautiful but I felt like it has its drawbacks. Isla Paradiso is the biggest offender for me.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I remember when I let my game file explode to 300 KB and I got a nasty hour loading time once yet after that the game actually worked well and no lag or issues saving.

Really though, after that point I realised I needed to start over, moved all my Sims to a new save file and was getting very short load and save times.

I have since settled for moving my Sims once a year, in the mean time i would make minor improvements to the world and also as i save all my Sims to the bed, I went through and deleted memories and unneeded cars in inventories and also changed Sims clothes.

Starting fresh really does make my game look good but that world itself doesn't need much work so I am now moving into other projects :smile:

But still, four minutes to load is awful when you could have an 80 second loading screen between lots, I think we all know what is the better solution here ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    My games load very quick too, still I prefer the sims 4 loading screens. After my lots feel so alive and I don't have to waste up to 3 hours just driving across town.

The open world was beautiful but I felt like it has its drawbacks. Isla Paradiso is the biggest offender for me.

Oh, Isla Paradiso is HORRIBLE! There's just no excuse for how poorly it was made and not just the world but so many of the lots in it have major problems too. The open world isn't without drawbacks but I'd rather use some mods to deal with some of those things (like how long it can take to get from Point A to Point B with Relativity.

I also have been using Shimrod's Townies Out on the Town mod that increases Sims visiting community lots. I'm not sure how well I like it, though, since I've noticed them often being out and about at all hours of the night when I'd think they would be home in bed otherwise but one thing is for sure, even my town with a population (sans NPCs who number in the scores) of under 20 is one hopping place. :smiley:

As for the original topic I can't say I've ever actually timed it. If I want to start the game I usually do it just before I get up to use the bathroom and by the time I get back it's usually at the load screen for the saves. Those take a while to load but again I've never timed it either because I'm busy playing the mini-game or minimize it and look at something on the internet. I don't have a lot of .package file CC right now and most of what I do have is merged but I'm getting ready to add a few new things so I'll see just how long it takes to get the load time up to the point of desperately merging .package files in order to shorten it again. :lol:
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    I wasn't timing it either. I was watching a video while waiting for it to load and when it was fully loaded, the video was at 3:57.
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    And the vacation worlds never take long to load.

But let's sit through 5 min of short loafing screens instead! Who wants to play a seemless world with no loading screens.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I wasn't timing it either. I was watching a video while waiting for it to load and when it was fully loaded, the video was at 3:57.

Lolz. See, there are secrets to just not even noticing the load time. :D I forgot to say above I also have EllaCharmed's No Intro Movie mod so I don't have to wait for the movie to start and click it away before I head off.

This is the thing I love about games that can be modded. I pay for a game with all these features that overall I really love but some of them don't work as I would like so I can collect mods that will turn it into my ideal. Not everyone's ideals are the same so our choices (or lack thereof) of mods basically tailors the game to suit our preferences.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • wbombjewbombje Posts: 1,244 Member
    Yes, it never does take too long to load, maybe 3-5 minutes for me. I have a really old inexpensive laptop and all of the EPs except one. The saves can take a little longer, though. CAS takes awhile, too, but I'm ok with it cause I have a bit of CC downloaded.
    Ayq5S7Y.png
  • marstinsonmarstinson Posts: 367 Member
    First thing I did (as soon as I found out about it) was to move the game to an SSD (and I'd move the data directory if I wasn't worried that it would cause an instantaneous meltdown - we're talking EA, after all), turn off memories and delete EVERYTHING in the scrapbook. Loading time is about a minute, maybe a bit less.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm really glad it's four minutes for me now as well, but honestly, I could live with eleven as well. Because it's just the wait at the beginning. I did other things while waiting, it wasn't like I was unpleasantly surprised by the wait everytime it happened. So I knew I had some time to kill and found ways to kill it B)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • RoachantRoachant Posts: 25 Member
    Loading is a bit long (4 minutes) when I add a new town or just did a delete of cache files but after that it's usually never more than 3 minutes, usually less. It's something I can absolutely live with considering lag has been severely reduced now.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I'm really glad it's four minutes for me now as well, but honestly, I could live with eleven as well. Because it's just the wait at the beginning. I did other things while waiting, it wasn't like I was unpleasantly surprised by the wait everytime it happened. So I knew I had some time to kill and found ways to kill it B)

That is the same with me. I actually find I get more house work done while playing The Sims.

I could load the game, then do some ironing and then once the game has loaded, play a bit. If I change the house hold, that gives me time to do more ironing and in the end, I could do all my ironing while playing TS3.

I much rather that than those days where I just waste time, watching youtube videos and then regretting the time thinking I could do something else.

I have a free day today, better not waste it so I might as well play The Sims, I have a few students to graduate :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Just installed TS3 on the new computer and wow is it fast. I'll time it next time but I think it was maybe 2-3 minutes?