Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think they are even working on toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I don't think so. If they were going to add them they would have at the beginning when they patched in pools and ghosts. Maybe someday in the long term future but it's not something I believe they are working on.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I don't think so. If they were going to add them they would have at the beginning when they patched in pools and ghosts. Maybe someday in the long term future but it's not something I believe they are working on.

Also it doesn't add up that if they were suppose to be in the game when it came
    out, developers had to have something right? I mean exactly how unfinished were toddlers?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    sophtasticsophtastic Posts: 610 Member
    Going back to the render, it would be silly for them to render one and not tell the CEO to show it anywhere, surely if they wanted to keep it between them they would have.
    For me, I think they're working on it but they're also concentrating on other things and they want toddlers to be a cool thing.
    toddddddllleeeeerrrrrrrssss
    tumblr_n0qwctD0MN1sb146lo1_400.gif
  • Options
    NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Orchid13 wrote: »

out, developers had to have something right? I mean exactly how unfinished were toddlers?

I think they weren't even started! Didn't they decide to cut them because of the tighter deadlines? After release one of the gurus said they would add them in like pools, which were also missing. I think since they are more complex than pools they are taking more time. I don't know which guru said they didn't want to shoehorn them in, and if they were to add them they would do them right.
  • Options
    sophtasticsophtastic Posts: 610 Member

I think they weren't even started! Didn't they decide to cut them because of the tighter deadlines? After release one of the gurus said they would add them in like pools, which were also missing. I think since they are more complex than pools they are taking more time. I don't know which guru said they didn't want to shoehorn them in, and if they were to add them they would do them right.

Exactly, I feel sorry for EA though, because whatever they do (unless it's perfection ) they will probably get hate. The toddlers will have too big heads. They will have weird eyes. They won't be the right size. The transition from baby to toddler will be rubbish. Something, something will get hate if they don't do it right, so half of me is glad they haven't released them yet. I want perfection.

tumblr_lz89rdEPiL1qceyrl.gif
    toddddddllleeeeerrrrrrrssss
    tumblr_n0qwctD0MN1sb146lo1_400.gif
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I'm still hopeful that they'll make a return, but I do have my lines that I've drawn.
    If we don't get them by 2017, or if we get a Generations-like pack and they still haven't returned by then, then I think that's when I'll have to reconsider how hopeful I am.
  • Options
    Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    Do I think they are being worked on? Yes. But like someone said, they could be facing the same issues they had when they first started to develop them before the game's release. But we shouldn't be boarding a hype train until we actually here something from the gurus about em.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    Do I think they are being worked on? Yes. But like someone said, they could be facing the same issues they had when they first started to develop them before the game's release. But we shouldn't be boarding a hype train until we actually here something from the gurus about em.

What "issues" could you possibly be referring to? Honestly, that's simply a lazy excuse not to include toddlers in the game. There obviously weren't any problems including them in Sims 2 or Sims 3, but suddenly they can't add them in Sims 4 without "issues"!? I find that very hard to believe. It's pretty sad and pathetic how they can't even include a life stage in Sims 4 that has been in both games prior.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    No, I don't think they will be back. That's how I keep from being disappointed about this game...at least with that issue.

I did try to play again last night. I didn't hate it. I'm really trying to make myself get used to how different it is compared to The Sims 2 and The Sims 3.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member

What "issues" could you possibly be referring to? Honestly, that's simply a lazy excuse not to include toddlers in the game. There obviously weren't any problems including them in Sims 2 or Sims 3, but suddenly they can't add them in Sims 4 without "issues"!? I find that very hard to believe. It's pretty sad and pathetic how they can't even include a life stage in Sims 4 that has been in both games prior.

I believe Sims 2 and 3 had the same engine. Or similar. I know they reused assests like the pillow fight animations.

Sims 4 is a new engine so not everything is going to work the same. That's not really an excuse in the end though.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options

I believe Sims 2 and 3 had the same engine. Or similar. I know they reused assests like the pillow fight animations.

Sims 4 is a new engine so not everything is going to work the same. That's not really an excuse in the end though.

Well, either way, Sims 2 was a new engine at the time as well. They managed to find a way to make toddlers work. Then again, we're talking about the same people who also claimed that creating a live bear for the 'Outdoor Retreat' pack would be "too hard".
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options

Multitasking. Issues with multitasking is why babies were tied to cribs too. A guru explained how they were having issues with the sims pulling them in and out of thin air like they do with objects when cooking, cleaning, etc. But due to time constraints they had to move on and work on other things.

Do you know what I find sad and pathetic? You continually insulting the devs and gurus because you believe they just sit at their desks all day and twiddling their thumbs. They have time constraints, if they can't do something in a certain amount of time, they have to work on something else. They aren't free to do anything they want. It's a job, not a hobby.
  • Options
    windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think they'll come back honestly, probably they'll use the budget for a generations expansion pack to patch them into the base game. That's what I'd do anyway and it's the smart thing to do..who knows if they'll do it though. But Toddlers were mentioned in a generations pack survey which is why I think that.

I feel like some people might even get mad if they say they're taking a while. The gurus said they wanted to try to get phone cases in get together but couldn't make any promises and some people still got mad anyway when they had to cancel that plan even though they specifically said don't count on it it's not garunteed to make it in.

People get mad at anything especially when our beloved toddlers are involved. Do I want them back, yes. do I think they'll come back? Hopefully.

It worried me that adding toddlers won't be possible if they weren't in the core of the game. I mean in TS2 when they added young adults they were linked to a specific world and context, but they couldn't be taken anywhere else without them aging up

In regards to what you said about how in ts2, the young adults were linked to that world where you couldn't play them in the main world. That's a really good point. And too, they said that with multi-tasking in development, they couldn't get the sims to act appropriate with the child in their arms, that's why they linked the infants to the crib. Maybe that's the problem with the toddlers too. maybe they just can't differentiate the Sim behavior with the multi=tasking in the game. Maybe that's just beyond their ability with the time and money they are allowed.

If that's the case, then I'd much rather have toddlers and robust infants than multi-tasking when they start thinking about/working on the next Sims game (if that ever happens).

ETA: I think I'll post a new thread with that question about which would you rather have? Multi-taking or robust infants and toddlers if a choice needs to be made.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    It takes two years to make pets, so I figure it would take a couple years to make toddlers.

I really wish they would hire a couple more engineers. I'm happy buying quality packs at full price. This is the only Sims franchise, where I'm only buying at discounted prices. If they hired more engineers, the packs (and base game) would be so awesome that I wouldn't wait until the sales.
  • Options

Multitasking. Issues with multitasking is why babies were tied to cribs too. A guru explained how they were having issues with the sims pulling them in and out of thin air like they do with objects when cooking, cleaning, etc. But due to time constraints they had to move on and work on other things.

Do you know what I find sad and pathetic? You continually insulting the devs and gurus because you believe they just sit at their desks all day and twiddling their thumbs. They have time constraints, if they can't do something in a certain amount of time, they have to work on something else. They aren't free to do anything they want. It's a job, not a hobby.

Do you honestly believe everything the developers are Gurus tell you about why or why not something was included or excluded from the game? Rachel Franklin said herself that she believes removing toddlers from the game was "the best decision to date". I think that says enough about how they really feel about adding toddlers.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Well, either way, Sims 2 was a new engine at the time as well. They managed to find a way to make toddlers work. Then again, we're talking about the same people who also claimed that creating a live bear for the 'Outdoor Retreat' pack would be "too hard".

Your ignorance AMAZES me. They had all the time they wanted to develop 2 because it was only the second game in the series and people weren't expecting it to come out after 5 years. Now people expect Sims games every 4-5 years and they have to release what they got or else the fan base would explode.

Please stop using the bear thing out of context (can't believe the number of times I've been telling you this), they said that a fully function bear wouldn't be worth it for a game pack and in the end they wouldn't make much of a profit off it. Animals in sims games require special software engineers, directors, artists, sound actors, etc. And bringing them in takes a lot of money. It's not that they are too hard, it's just not reasonable.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited March 2016
    *sigh* I don't even know anymore. It's not like they announced anything.

Still waiting and hoping for the toddlers. :(

I think the toddlers could be really cute in ts4 style, and I think they could be adorable with the moody Emotions aspect, lol. :smiley:

(I'm going to give it until Christmas. No toddlers by Christmas or New Year's means most likely no toddlers. Meaning I would be done with any new sims franchise until Sims 5...or maybe not even then...)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options

Do you honestly believe everything the developers are Gurus tell you about why or why not something was included or excluded from the game? Rachel Franklin said herself that she believes removing toddlers from the game was "the best decision to date". I think that says enough about how they really feel about adding toddlers.

Maybe she said that because if they continued to pour money into trying to get toddlers to function properly they wouldn't be able to work on other aspects of the game. Maxis aren't given infinite money and time. (Unlike what you seem to believe)
  • Options

Your ignorance AMAZES me. They had all the time they wanted to develop 2 because it was only the second game in the series and people weren't expecting it to come out after 5 years. Now people expect Sims games every 4-5 years and they have to release what they got or else the fan base would explode.

Please stop using the bear thing out of context (can't believe the number of times I've been telling you this), they said that a fully function bear wouldn't be worth it for a game pack and in the end they wouldn't make much of a profit off it. Animals in sims games require special software engineers, directors, artists, sound actors, etc. And bringing them in takes a lot of money. It's not that they are too hard, it's just not reasonable.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the fanbase were actually suggesting quite the opposite of what you claim we did. We wanted The Sims 4 to be delayed so they can add the missing content and features (especially pools and toddlers). You obviously missed that entire backlash when it was happening. Most fans were asking, begging, and demanding that EA/Maxis delay the game so they could improve on it. So, don't give me any "fans expect a game every 4-5 years" excuses. Also, from what the developers have been claiming, Sims 4 was apparently being developed while Sims 3 was still getting new DLC. Not only that, but The Sims 4 was originally meant to be a spin off game called "Sims: Olympus", but they decided slapping "The Sims 4" label on it would bring in more money. This mostly explains the lack of content and features the game has.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options

Maybe she said that because if they continued to pour money into trying to get toddlers to function properly they wouldn't be able to work on other aspects of the game. Maxis aren't given infinite money and time. (Unlike what you seem to believe)

Does it even matter why she said it? The point is the decision to remove toddlers was apparently "the best" one they ever made... which is honestly pretty much a direct answer to whether or not toddlers will ever be added to the game. I (along with many others) have waited long enough. The game has been out for over a year now and we don't even have ANY information on toddlers. They have yet to even say whether or not they're even working on them. Every installment of The Sims lasts around 4-5 years. If The Sims 4 follows the pattern, it would mean that we're almost half way through the current iteration and still haven't gotten toddlers. That's the sad part.

Also, EA is literally one of the richest companies in the world. They make billions of dollars off DLC alone. They can afford to add toddlers to The Sims 4. Stop acting like EA isn't greedy or selfish. They are.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member

Does it even matter why she said it? The point is the decision to remove toddlers was apparently "the best" one they ever made... which is honestly pretty much a direct answer to whether or not toddlers will ever be added to the game. I (along with many others) have waited long enough. The game has been out for over a year now and we don't even have ANY information on toddlers. They have yet to even say whether or not they're even working on them. Every installment of The Sims lasts around 4-5 years. If The Sims 4 follows the pattern, it would mean that we're almost half way through the current iteration and still haven't gotten toddlers. That's the sad part.

Also, EA is literally one of the richest companies in the world. They make billions of dollars off DLC alone. They can afford to add toddlers to The Sims 4. Stop acting like EA isn't greedy or selfish. They are.

The best decision... at the time. She specifically said "I'm not talking about future content" right after that statement. There's really no misunderstanding what that part means. And glad you know that toddlers will never be added to the game because they haven't poured everything they have into a single lifestage... which also has to have modeling done, animations, interactions, coding, as well as using the Emotions System with them in order to create a more fleshed out toddler than TS3 had.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options

How do you think they got that money in the first place? Oh yeah, by having a decent profit margin. They're a company not a charity. If something doesn't make much a profit, they're gonna cancel it. It's simple.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the fanbase were actually suggesting quite the opposite of what you claim we did. We wanted The Sims 4 to be delayed so they can add the missing content and features (especially pools and toddlers). You obviously missed that entire backlash when it was happening. Most fans were asking, begging, and demanding that EA/Maxis delay the game so they could improve on it. So, don't give me any "fans expect a game every 4-5 years" excuses. Also, from what the developers have been claiming, Sims 4 was apparently being developed while Sims 3 was still getting new DLC. Not only that, but The Sims 4 was originally meant to be a spin off game called "Sims: Olympus", but they decided slapping "The Sims 4" label on it would bring in more money. This mostly explains the lack of content and features the game has.

They had to scrap Olympus and start over, since it was supposed to be an MMO, so it wasn't even just about slapping on a new name.
    Having to start over and recreate the game with some of the stuff from the original in such a limited time is probably the reason TS4 lacks in many areas.
  • Options
    LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I'm still hopeful that they'll make a return, but I do have my lines that I've drawn.
    If we don't get them by 2017, or if we get a Generations-like pack and they still haven't returned by then, then I think that's when I'll have to reconsider how hopeful I am.

Yeah, 2017 is waaaay too late. And Generations with no toddler patch? I would lose sooo much hope by then. :(
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

They had to scrap Olympus and start over, since it was supposed to be an MMO, so it wasn't even just about slapping on a new name.
    Having to start over and recreate the game with some of the stuff from the original in such a limited time is probably the reason TS4 lacks in many areas.

Yes its quite likely. However for a lot of people that doesn't represent a good excuse. Olympus was EA/Maxis mistake but who has dealt with the legacy of it? The customer. They didn't make the game cheaper, they hid the Olympus project (or attempted to at least) and they played on the loyalty of simmers to sell the game when it was far from ready.

There is no way the customer should be experiencing long term issues from this sort of mistake. EA/Maxis should have funnelled more staff and money into the budget to really turn it around. Not lay off staff and pretend nothing happened. They have made a fortune out of the sims. We, as customers, have proven for many years how much we are prepared to invest-this is not a cheap hobby-and I believe we deserve better.

I feel for the devs trying to rescue something from Olympus. I'm pretty sure the online order came from above their pay grade.