Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    @CathyTea If we do it in May it would need to be at the middle or end of the month. School doesn't get out until June but it does slow down quite a bit in May.
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    @CathyTea If we do it in May it would need to be at the middle or end of the month. School doesn't get out until June but it does slow down quite a bit in May.

Is it best for you if we do it after school gets out? We've got lots of flexibility--in fact, if you want, pick a week, and you can have it! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

Is it best for you if we do it after school gets out? We've got lots of flexibility--in fact, if you want, pick a week, and you can have it! :)
    Yes, it would be best after school gets out. Could we do mine the week of June 17th?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Yes, it would be best after school gets out. Could we do mine the week of June 17th?

We start on Monday, so do you mean the week of June 13, with Coffee Hour falling on Friday, June 17?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

We start on Monday, so do you mean the week of June 13, with Coffee Hour falling on Friday, June 17?
    Yep, that's what I meant.

• Options

Yep, that's what I meant.

Great! You've got that week! :)

• Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    @CathyTea Looks good to me! :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    oh i'll have coffee by friday. now i just have to figure out what were reading. im always a week off.
  • Options
    oh i'll have coffee by friday. now i just have to figure out what were reading. im always a week off.

Hi, Friendsfan! Yay, coffee! We love it. Here's what we're reading this week: https://rinellie.wordpress.com/my-experiences-with-autonomy/

• Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    That schedule looks good to me, @CathyTea. I'll try to get a new chapter or two out on my story so there's more to read by April 11. :) Also, yay, soon I'll be less busy and can actually focus on reading stuff too so I can be a part of the book club! I hope, at least.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    That schedule looks good to me, @CathyTea. I'll try to get a new chapter or two out on my story so there's more to read by April 11. :) Also, yay, soon I'll be less busy and can actually focus on reading stuff too so I can be a part of the book club! I hope, at least.

That's great! And it's ok, too, if there are just a few chapters, because some of the works we read are looooonnnnngggg. So it would be refreshing to read a new work that just has a few chapters written! It's exciting to look at works in their early stages! :)

• Options
    RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @CathyTea I suppose. And my chapters are pretty long compared to a lot of the other SimLit stories I've read so I guess that compensates a bit. But I'll still try to get more chapters done. They want to get out! :smiley:
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Can't wait to see people try to get through 120,000+ words in a week come March 28th. ;)

On the flipside, I got through this week's reading this morning in about half an hour, and I can't wait for the Coffee Hour discussion!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    VIRTUALEEVIRTUALEE Posts: 2,507 Member
    I am ready for Friday Binge read Completed - My Experiences with Autonomy by @Rinellie !
  • Options
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Can't wait to see people try to get through 120,000+ words in a week come March 28th. ;)

On the flipside, I got through this week's reading this morning in about half an hour, and I can't wait for the Coffee Hour discussion!

Oh, yay! I'm excited for Coffee Hour, too!

With your story, Infra, I can only read it at night. Isn't that funny? I need to wait until I'm the only one awake, and it's dark outside, then I wrap myself in my blanket and disappear into that world...

• Options
    VIRTUALEE wrote: »
    I am ready for Friday Binge read Completed - My Experiences with Autonomy by @Rinellie !

Yay! I'm so excited there's so much excitement about this story! And we can talk about it pre-Coffee Hour if we're too excited to wait! It's called Tea-Time! :)

• Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    edited March 2016
    Ok so I'll put this on my reading list this week!

@CathyTea I see the "undead theme" is filled? I can't think of anything to fit the other themes so I guess I have no suggestions right now.
  • Options
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    Ok so I'll put this on my reading list this week!

@CathyTea I see the "undead theme" is filled? I can't think of anything to fit the other themes so I guess I have no suggestions right now.

It's not filled! We've got room for additions!

• Options
    JLBDreamerJLBDreamer Posts: 622 Member
    @CathyTea Oh ok good! I'll suggest a few that I'm not caught up on yet but are still being updated and authors are around. These are all Sims 3 stories.

Kiss of a Vampire-100 Baby Challenge by @jazen - Its one of my inspirations for doing a supernatural and well-written baby challenge story. Its long but really good. I need to drop Jazen a note now that I have a new account.
    A Moment In Time by @mypalsim1- Isn't done and I'll ask but I think she intends to finish it. Another really good vampire/supernatural story.
    Krisis by @Valpre1983 is extremely long and still on-going but also excellent.

Self Plugs (since I love constructive criticism):
    Wild Hearts- The Wilder Vampiracy is my story and I will be moving it to my new blog here and updating it with the rest of Gen 2 soon but its themed with classic literature/plays inspiring the generational stories.
  • Options
    Just added The More the Wilder by @JoieWilder to our Neighborhood Rotation readings!

Feel free to suggest more things for any of our upcoming readings! I've left in room for flexibility in the schedule...

• Options
    JLBDreamer wrote: »
    @CathyTea Oh ok good! I'll suggest a few that I'm not caught up on yet but are still being updated and authors are around. These are all Sims 3 stories.

Kiss of a Vampire-100 Baby Challenge by @jazen - Its one of my inspirations for doing a supernatural and well-written baby challenge story. Its long but really good. I need to drop Jazen a note now that I have a new account.
    A Moment In Time by @mypalsim1- Isn't done and I'll ask but I think she intends to finish it. Another really good vampire/supernatural story.
    Krisis by @Valpre1983 is extremely long and still on-going but also excellent.

Self Plugs (since I love constructive criticism):
    Wild Hearts- The Wilder Vampiracy is my story and I will be moving it to my new blog here and updating it with the rest of Gen 2 soon but its themed with classic literature/plays inspiring the generational stories.

Awesome! I'd like to suggest that we hold off on Kiss of a Vampire, A Moment in Time, and Krisis. Currently, we're looking at stories that have been started relatively recently. So let's save these for our next "Classics" season.

Let's add yours to the March of the Undead! Do you think that it will be moved to the new blog by April 18? If not, we can circle back around later with a Return of the Undead!

With our Coffee Hours, we're a little less about constructive criticism and a little more about writer adulation! We're fans. But hey, it feels great to be loved, right?

For constructive criticism, we've got a "Writers' Workshop" thread which is a great way to get useful feedback--it's on a bit of a break now, but I'm guessing we'll get active with it in May or June.

• Options
    JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member
    Yay, I'm so excited to have one of my stories coming up again!

I have been doing some thinking lately. I think this was brought up in the past here, but I was wondering what the opinions of everybody would be on having previously book clubbed stories return? I was thinking, perhaps we could do one month where we revisit stories that have come a long way since they were first read here. For example, my story (this is just an example; there are so many others that deserve a relook). When the Thoreau's were read here, I was only in the first 20 odd chapters of generation one. I think it would be reasonable to revisit the Thoreau's now that gen 2 is well underway or later on. You wouldn't read the whole thing, since part of the story has already been featured here; book club would resume either where the previous point left off or resume with a new generation. This would be a really great thing to do for stories that are going to be in progress for a long time, like @CitizenErased14 's Ashes to Ashes. It will be like a completely different story in another generation or two. Some stories didn't get to benefit from coffee hour, either. I think @ThePlumbob 's build Newcrest story was featured before coffee hour was around.
  • Options
    JoieWilder wrote: »

I have been doing some thinking lately. I think this was brought up in the past here, but I was wondering what the opinions of everybody would be on having previously book clubbed stories return? I was thinking, perhaps we could do one month where we revisit stories that have come a long way since they were first read here. For example, my story (this is just an example; there are so many others that deserve a relook). When the Thoreau's were read here, I was only in the first 20 odd chapters of generation one. I think it would be reasonable to revisit the Thoreau's now that gen 2 is well underway or later on. You wouldn't read the whole thing, since part of the story has already been featured here; book club would resume either where the previous point left off or resume with a new generation. This would be a really great thing to do for stories that are going to be in progress for a long time, like @CitizenErased14 's Ashes to Ashes. It will be like a completely different story in another generation or two. Some stories didn't get to benefit from coffee hour, either. I think @ThePlumbob 's build Newcrest story was featured before coffee hour was around.

I think we want to do this for sure! I was just thinking this with @ThePlumbob 's Bloomer Legacy!

Our current schedule takes us up pretty much to the beginning of summer--maybe we can call it Summer ReRuns! (Though it's not really re-runs, more like continuations, but still...)

• Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member

@JoieWilder Yes, this was brought up previously (and I believe the "It's Done!" thread kinda-sorta came about from this discussion!). But I totally see what you mean about Legacies being a bit different. It may get featured in Book Club when it's only one or two generations in, and then you'd have to wait a year or more before it's in the "Done" thread and ready to be discussed again.

I do understand the POV that's been brought up before -- that most people regard Book Club as a place to discover new stories. And I think that's so true! But I would not be opposed to having a special "Throwback" month, or doing something like maybe one week a month as a "throwback", or even one week every-other month or something?

I think this would be really great for legacies :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    JoieWilderJoieWilder Posts: 2,513 Member

@JoieWilder Yes, this was brought up previously (and I believe the "It's Done!" thread kinda-sorta came about from this discussion!). But I totally see what you mean about Legacies being a bit different. It may get featured in Book Club when it's only one or two generations in, and then you'd have to wait a year or more before it's in the "Done" thread and ready to be discussed again.

I do understand the POV that's been brought up before -- that most people regard Book Club as a place to discover new stories. And I think that's so true! But I would not be opposed to having a special "Throwback" month, or doing something like maybe one week a month as a "throwback", or even one week every-other month or something?

I think this would be really great for legacies :)

I agree that this should definitely be a place to discover new stories! It's so great the variety you can find here. The "It's Done!" thread is a really fantastic thing that a lot of people can benefit from. But book club, I think, should also be a venue to, occasionally, revisit stories that have grown and changed. And it doesn't have to just be a legacy. Before it was finished, Dust to Dust would've been a good story to revisit, since SO MUCH changed from the time it was read here and when it was completed.