Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    sabreene wrote: »
    @CathyTea I think that reading list looks great! But I was thinking we should fit your new story in with the 2nd year legacies! I thought it had been on the list before? Did I miss it somewhere?

Well, New World's not really a legacy, though it a continuation of a legacy family! It's more like a neighborhood rotation, so maybe we could squeeze it in after Vee is for Vortex? And it would be fun to have a few other rotations to include in there, too!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    RinellieRinellie Posts: 438 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    sabreene wrote: »
    @CathyTea I think that reading list looks great! But I was thinking we should fit your new story in with the 2nd year legacies! I thought it had been on the list before? Did I miss it somewhere?

Well, New World's not really a legacy, though it a continuation of a legacy family! It's more like a neighborhood rotation, so maybe we could squeeze it in after Vee is for Vortex? And it would be fun to have a few other rotations to include in there, too!

Actually, I was just thinking the other day that since CT does most of the organizing of this thread and suggesting what stories we read, her stories don't really get a chance to be featured. So I think it would be a great idea for us to read New World Symphony! :)
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    @CathyTea If we're doing neighbourhood rotations we should include "The More The Wilder" by @JoieWilder :)
  • Options
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    @CathyTea If we're doing neighbourhood rotations we should include "The More The Wilder" by @JoieWilder :)

Sounds great!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Happy Coffee Hour, Book Clubbers!

This week, we're reading @amberthezombie 's Story of a Legacy! If you haven't read it yet, there's still time! You should be able to get through the three chapter-length memoirs and the 12 chapters in about half an hour or so! And it's very fun with an interesting mystery (involving a favorite pre-made family)...

https://thestoryofalegacywordpresscom.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

And.... now for the questions!

Questions for the Writer

1) I really love the way that you cover the first three generations through memoirs. How did you decide to do that?

2) There are some complicated family relationships here in terms of parentage and illegitimacy. Did you plan that, or did it happen through MC Command Center or some other way?

3) What are you enjoying most about writing your legacy?

4) Do you have a favorite character to write from?

Questions for the Readers

1) What's your response to having the first three generations covered through memoir-style and then diving into greater detail in gen 4?

2) Do you get as excited as I do to see premades in the earlier generations (like Alexander and Johnny)?

3) Who's your favorite character so far?

4) What do you speculate will happen with the mystery about Gwyn's half brother?

• Options
    Excited for another round of Coffee Hour :) Thanks for the great questions as always, CT!

1) What's your response to having the first three generations covered through memoir-style and then diving into greater detail in gen 4?

Well, this is speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that this was done because Amber didn't originally plan on writing about her legacy, but then she changed her mind once she reached the fourth generation. If that's indeed the case, then I think it's a wonderful idea to share a brief look at generations past so that we as readers can come to understand the family better and feel more connected to them :) If Amber chose to do this for another reason than what I'm assuming, then it's still a great idea :lol: I think writing her legacy this way allows for her to put more focus into the plot surrounding this generation.

2) Do you get as excited as I do to see premades in the earlier generations (like Alexander and Johnny)?

You know, it's funny. I didn't ever used to care all that much about pre-mades. I mean, I didn't dislike them or anything, but they were always just kinda there for me. But ever since I started reading SimLit, I've come to like pre-mades a ton, so I do get excited when I see them in stories. Especially when I see Johnny, since I've completely fallen in love with him through reading @sabreene 's prettacy <3 I also really like the Landgraab family, so I'm happy to see them here too!

I like Rosie a lot. She can be a bit of a pest towards her brother, but I've always found that kind of sibling relationship to be very sweet. I also like her confidence and attitude. She strikes me as a woman who knows what she wants and how to get it.

4) What do you speculate will happen with the mystery about Gwyn's half brother?

Hmm, that I'm not sure about. I am relatively certain that the family will find him, and I don't think he'll be particularly excited to see his birth mother after all these years. Er, well, he'll probably feel gratified to finally meet her, but I don't really think he'll be interested in developing a relationship with her. Not right away, at least. Hm, maybe he'll become a love interest for Rosie! ;)
  • Options
    SterretjeeeSterretjeee Posts: 3,019 Member

I find it really unique, it really parts this legacy from others. I do wish we got to know the earlier characters, though. But I thought the same as @Rinellie, with the not-planning-to-write theory. So I'm pretty curious about that!

I love reading about premades in stories! It's always so interesting to see others interpretations of their personalities! I am missing J however ;)

This I find a really hard choice! The story has so many awesome characters and so much of them! I honestly still get confused as to who is who. I'd probably choose Emily, Mercedes and Evan's kid. I found her fairly funny!

I literally have no idea at all! I mean, I'm sure they'll find him and hopefully his mother will still be alive to meet him. But after that... Mystery :lol:
  • Options
    amberthezombieamberthezombie Posts: 214 Member
    Questions

1) I really love the way that you cover the first three generations through memoirs. How did you decide to do that?
    Well @Rinellie guessed right! When I first started playing I never intended to write it to share, but I always had a plot in mind. When I decided I wanted to, I had enough pictures to make short summaries and I got some inspiration from the Taylor Legacy about the memoirs part...

2) There are some complicated family relationships here in terms of parentage and illegitimacy. Did you plan that, or did it happen through MC Command Center or some other way?
    I didn't have MC Command Center for the first generations so if you see the family tree, I made them all with the genetics tool in CAS, or played rotation for a while but now I have MC and it's very helpful, I always love seeing what they all do. As for the story line with Evan, he was autonomously flirting with Mercedes so they had a high pink bar (or maybe that was there before he married Brianna, I can't remember lol) but I planned the pregnancy and the moving out.

3) What are you enjoying most about writing your legacy?
    I think it would be being able to share the story line I had in my head with everyone, and seeing what other simmers thought of it!

4) Do you have a favorite character to write from?
    Definitely Rosie, at first. Then I sort of realized Jayden wasn't getting much attention and he is the heir after all, so I started writing from his POV and maybe now he's my favorite!

Thank you for reading :smiley:
  • Options
    Rinellie wrote: »
    Excited for another round of Coffee Hour :) Thanks for the great questions as always, CT!

Well, this is speculation on my part, but I'm guessing that this was done because Amber didn't originally plan on writing about her legacy, but then she changed her mind once she reached the fourth generation. If that's indeed the case, then I think it's a wonderful idea to share a brief look at generations past so that we as readers can come to understand the family better and feel more connected to them :) If Amber chose to do this for another reason than what I'm assuming, then it's still a great idea :lol: I think writing her legacy this way allows for her to put more focus into the plot surrounding this generation.

Yep, your right! I didn't intend on writing at first at all but a lot of the stories here inspired me :smile:
    Thanks for reading :blush:
  • Options

I love reading about premades in stories! It's always so interesting to see others interpretations of their personalities! I am missing J however ;)

This I find a really hard choice! The story has so many awesome characters and so much of them! I honestly still get confused as to who is who. I'd probably choose Emily, Mercedes and Evan's kid. I found her fairly funny!

How could I forget J lol, I love him in your story! I think he may be dead in my game though... :cry:

Emily was quite difficult to write so I'm glad you liked her!

Also I'm glad you read my story :smile: Thank you :blush:

• Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I thought it was a great idea - and thought about summaries even for generations that were written all out. A way that readers could skip ahead and not read all the details and get to the newer pieces. In this case I suspected (and was right) that it was written that way because they weren't planned to be written so don't have the screenshots, but it was an excellent way to get us up to speed and in the mood.

The cool thing about it was that you kind of got plunged directly in the middle of the action. Like you just moved next door and everyone already had their own lives going on. It made for a different legacy "start" feel. There's a house, there's drama, and you've just started.

I'm curious how much of the premade story line will be used and how much twisted, like why Johnny left. As for the earlier pictures, the scene looking over them was just like when I would go through albums with my grandma. There was always a debate about what people were doing and sometimes even who they were.

Oooh - do I have to pick? I feel like I'm still just getting to know them. I do Like Gwen, but that might be because she has my founder's spouse's blue dress more than anything else. So maybe Jayden is my favorite. He was willing to go visit his dad despite the scandal and is still a decent older brother to his little sister, even if she is evil.

4) What do you speculate will happen with the mystery about Gwen's half brother?
    I loved the way this mystery was introduced, and with Geoffrey Landgraab too!. I'll be eager to see where this arc goes.

@amberthezombie How much do you plan? I'm always curious about this as there seems to be a range. For the fire you had to dictate that (I loved how it made for a good reason to move to a new house). But for the rest? How much is gameplay interpretation vs plot driven? Is Jimmy plot or planned. . . you don't have to answer specifics, of course, if it spoils things.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    ra3rei wrote: »

@amberthezombie How much do you plan? I'm always curious about this as there seems to be a range. For the fire you had to dictate that (I loved how it made for a good reason to move to a new house). But for the rest? How much is gameplay interpretation vs plot driven? Is Jimmy plot or planned. . . you don't have to answer specifics, of course, if it spoils things.

I don't think I plan quite as much as everyone else does, but I never really have done. Sometimes if I have a big idea I do write it out a bit.
    As for the house, there actually was a fire, and I'd only built that house as a temporary one while I was waiting for my DNA request to be claimed (thanks @AIRIS6962 :smile: ) So when I seen the little stove fire I figured it would be the perfect, dramatic reason to rebuild. The fire didn't actually burn the entire house though (is that even possible in the sims?).

Jimmy was sort of a mixture of being planned and gameplay. I wanted Gwen to have a sibling, but I knew that wouldn't really have worked out in the story after she was already introduced, so when I seen that Brynlee actually had a romantic relationship with Geoffrey I was like, ooohh this is perfect!! So I went into CAS, added a saved version of Geoffrey and Brynlee and used the genetic tool to make him, then tweaked him a little bit. Then I had to decide about where he would be and I figured that adoption would definitely be the best way to write him in. I then created his adoptive family!

Thanks for reading <3
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I really love this approach! I was thinking that it could be a really great way to write an entire legacy. It would be manageable for readers: just ten chapters! And it would be a fascinating exercise for writers, as they'd have to select just those few scenes or moments that clearly presented the key elements of each generation.

This also made me think about how interesting it could be to write an entire legacy after it had been completed. It would also be interesting to draft as one goes along, but not to publish, and then to do major revisions throughout as the game developed and finally to publish after the legacy had been completed and after the entire thing had been written and revised.

Back to "Story of a Legacy," I really enjoyed starting with the memoir style and then diving into the specifics with gen 4.

Since I wrote this question... Yes! I do get as excited as I do! LOL! Seriously, though, I really love when Goths and Landgraabs and all the others show up in stories.

I agree with @ra3rei that Jayden is my favorite!

Oh, I can't speculate! I just love the way the mystery is set up and it makes me eager to keep reading to see what happens! :)

I'm really enjoying your story, Amber! Thanks for sharing it with us!

• Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

I really love this approach! I was thinking that it could be a really great way to write an entire legacy. It would be manageable for readers: just ten chapters! And it would be a fascinating exercise for writers, as they'd have to select just those few scenes or moments that clearly presented the key elements of each generation.

This also made me think about how interesting it could be to write an entire legacy after it had been completed. It would also be interesting to draft as one goes along, but not to publish, and then to do major revisions throughout as the game developed and finally to publish after the legacy had been completed and after the entire thing had been written and revised.

Back to "Story of a Legacy," I really enjoyed starting with the memoir style and then diving into the specifics with gen 4.

Since I wrote this question... Yes! I do get as excited as I do! LOL! Seriously, though, I really love when Goths and Landgraabs and all the others show up in stories.

I agree with @ra3rei that Jayden is my favorite!

Oh, I can't speculate! I just love the way the mystery is set up and it makes me eager to keep reading to see what happens! :)

I'm really enjoying your story, Amber! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Thank you :blush:
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member

Well, it confused me when I first started reading, because I thought there was a secret table of contents I was missing. :p But I figured it out eventually.

I enjoyed both the summaries and the more detailed chapters. The memoirs did their job of setting up context and being enjoyable to read.

Yup! And that tends to count for any story.

Idk.

This isn't based off anything, but I hope it goes less-than-spectacularly. In that he isn't open to his biological family like they hoped he'd be. There's something I like about those kinds of twists. But I'll be happy with however it goes. :)
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    Hey-hey, Book Clubbers! Super great reading selection this week, especially for fans of #Meatball and Dr. Angel Locklear! (or should I say... Lockless).

We're reading the Heffner Legacy by @Maladi777 !

Get ready for fun!

• Options
    Do we still need a host? I can do it if no one else has already offered.
  • Options
    Rinellie wrote: »
    Do we still need a host? I can do it if no one else has already offered.

Yay, @Rinellie ! That would be fantastic! I love it! Let me know if you have questions. So excited you'll be hosting!

• Options
    edited March 2016
    All right, y'all. We're serving popcorn at Coffee Hour this week because The Heffner Legacy by @Maladi777 is just one of those stories that leaves you on the edge of your seat, and we all know popcorn is the best snack to eat when you're engrossed in drama. So fill up your bowls and pull up a chair, and let's get this discussion started.

Here's our first set of questions!

For @Maladi777

What made you decide to change the style of the story from gameplay observations to a plot-driven story?

As this is a legacy, do you have plans for where to take the story after Beryl (sadly) passes away?

Who is your favorite character from your story? What is it about them you love?

Did you have different plans for the current gen if Beryl hadn't won the heir vote? Or did you just kind of assume she would win? :lol:

For the Readers

Who is your favorite secondary character? (So no Tony or Beryl ;))

Do you think the BerylxTony ship stands a chance? Or are there too many obstacles that will keep it from happening? (Bonus Question: Do you ship it? But like why would you not though)

What do you think about Tony's recent actions with Beryl's suitors? Has he gone too far? (spoilers if you're not all the way caught up)
    Do you think him killing the child p*** addict was justified?

In the most recent chapter, we get to see another side of Marissa, the dreaded Other Woman. Did your opinion of her change after reading it? Or maybe you always sympathized with her?
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    @Rinellie Thank you for taking the role of the host today! I'm so excited to read everyone's answers! Here are mine:

1. What made you decide to change the style of the story from gameplay observations to a plot-driven story?

At the beginning I was just testing the waters. Stretching the writing muscles so to speak. I'm still kind of experimenting with the narration styles to find out what suits me best. The legacy was always supposed to be a plot-driven story. It's hard to maintain everyone's attention for 10 generations only by gameplay observations. I think you need to be a super entertaining writer for that. :smile:

2. As this is a legacy, do you have plans for where to take the story after Beryl (sadly) passes away?

Yes! I have an outline for stories for both the kids, Christian and Kellie. There might be even more kids in the household in the future. Just wait and see.

3. Who is your favorite character from your story? What is it about them you love?

Well, Tony, of course! I'm under his spell completely. I totally understand why Beryl and Marissa so desperately want to domesticate him. :lol:
    I love his two-facedness. I've read The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie recently and Tony is very much like Logen Ninefingers. Meatball is Tony's demon, his dark side. When Meatball takes over bad things happen, but he also helps Tony survive.

4. Did you have different plans for the current gen if Beryl hadn't won the heir vote? Or did you just kind of assume she would win?

No. :smiley: I was literally biting my fingernails when I saw the votes going to Beryl's siblings. But it wouldn't have mattered in the end, I was determined to tell Tony's and Beryl's story at all cost. If Beryl hadn't won, I would have to come up with additional story for the heir, but the rest would have remained the same.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    MarialeinMarialein Posts: 2,885 Member
    edited March 2016
    1) other character? You mean there are more? Just jocking. :D I love Chris and Kellie. Babs was always one I liked very much.

2) I don't know. I guess I will be satisfed whatever the result will be.

3) No don't thinks so if it is true. And yay for bringing Pinkman to jail but Mr White will be angry . :D

4) I think I like her a bit more now. But I think I never really hated her. She reminds me sometimes at Emily from Revenge.
    Post edited by Marialein on
  • Options
    Happy to see some answers already :) I'm about to head to bed for now, but I'll pop in again in the morning for a second round of questions. See you all then!
  • Options
    Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member

I'm actually a pretty big fan of Brian right now. Originally I thought he would just be "one of the triplets" but after his uhm rather interesting childhood, he really became a distinctive guy. I like that he is protective of Beryl and his family although he doesn't unthinkingly defends everything they do. Does that make sense?

Do you think the BerylxTony ship stands a chance? Or are there too many obstacles that will keep it from happening? (Bonus Question: Do you ship it? But like why would you not though)

Hm I wish it would stand a chance but tbh I don't think it does. Tony is still a wanted criminal after all, settling down with Beryl would put her in danger and her whole family too. It's sad, but that's just the way it is... I don't think Beryl has it in her to leave her family behind for Tony.

What do you think about Tony's recent actions with Beryl's suitors? Has he gone too far?

hm. The one with Dr. Angel was funny, but it soon got nastier. I'm not entirely sure what to think of it. I understand that Tony wants a perfect man for Beryl. Or maybe he doesn't want any man for her at all - which would be extremely selfish since he can't be with her herself. But maybe the right guy will come along at some point.
    I wish he wouldn't have killed that one guy. I'm not sad that the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is dead, but I wish it hadn't been Tony's doing. He just makes it harder and harder to be able to be with Beryl at some point...

In the most recent chapter, we get to see another side of Marissa, the dreaded Other Woman. Did your opinion of her change after reading it? Or maybe you always sympathized with her?

Yes my opinion of her changed. I always thought she was a bit of a manipulative witch. Turns out she has feelings! *shia surprise* I do hope she can move on from Tony. I feel like all women love Tony but no one can truly have him. I like the Brissa ship though. (Or Marian?)
  • Options
    drafonfiredrafonfire Posts: 30 Member
    Q:Who is your favorite secondary character? (So no Tony or Beryl ;))

A:I have to say that Brian is my favorite. He wants to do right by his family, and to genuinely help others, but his methods don't always match up with those of others. What he forced Tony to meet his son, he did it under the wrong mind-frame, and it backfired on himself.

Q:Do you think the BerylxTony ship stands a chance? Or are there too many obstacles that will keep it from happening? (Bonus Question: Do you ship it? But like why would you not though)

A: I think his current status gets in the way of what they could have, and because she is the heir she cannot throw away her obligation to the town.

Q: What do you think about Tony's recent actions with Beryl's suitors? Has he gone too far? (spoilers if you're not all the way caught up)

A: I think his actions are hindering Beryl from moving forward, because he does not find them to measure up. There is a difference of watching from the distance and interfering. And Tony is more interfering because he can not have her to himself.

Q:In the most recent chapter, we get to see another side of Marissa, the dreaded Other Woman. Did your opinion of her change after reading it? Or maybe you always sympathized with her?

A: At first Marissa seemed like a manipulate, spoiled smurf. But after her visit with Brian, it shows that she has a lot of emotion issues that pertain to Tony and her family. She fell for Tony because he gave her the attention she didn't get from her parents. But she also is so used to getting whatever she wanted, that she didn't seem to care for impact on others. I think a relationship with Brian would be good for Marissa, because it would be a healthy relationship. It also could lead her to become more of a selfless person, and create better connections and a new way of life for her.
  • Options

I really like Brian a lot, especially after the last chapter. I also love Chris, and I'm looking forward to getting to know Kellie. Bradley is currently staying at my franchise of Freezer Bunny Dating, so I really like him! He's goofy, always happy, and loves everybody! Plus, he's always exercising! What's not to love?

I don't really think it stands a chance--mostly because of Tony! I think that he feels that he's a really bad guy, and he feels that Beryl is a really good person, and I often find that people who think they're bad tend to put up this divide between them and those they think are "good" and they keep that barrier up as a means of always having distance between the "good" person--possibly, so that she can always represent "goodness."

What do you think about Tony's recent actions with Beryl's suitors? Has he gone too far?

Tony's being Tony! He sort of IS too far! I think he's doing what he feels he needs to. This is part of his whole "good/bad" divide. He's taking on the "badness" so he can protect the "good" person he loves.

I still don't trust Marissa. I sympathize with her, but I don't trust that she'll be good for Brian. Brian has a lot of depth to him and a lot of understanding--he can understand Marissa, but I don't think she'd be able to understand him. Plus, I really don't trust Marissa's dad!

I am, though, getting excited for lots of great plot twists and adventures and skull-duggery!