Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think they are even working on toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    KatyJay88 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    I think they'll come back honestly, probably they'll use the budget for a generations expansion pack to patch them into the base game. That's what I'd do anyway and it's the smart thing to do..who knows if they'll do it though. But Toddlers were mentioned in a generations pack survey which is why I think that.

I feel like some people might even get mad if they say they're taking a while. The gurus said they wanted to try to get phone cases in get together but couldn't make any promises and some people still got mad anyway when they had to cancel that plan even though they specifically said don't count on it it's not garunteed to make it in.

People get mad at anything especially when our beloved toddlers are involved. Do I want them back, yes. do I think they'll come back? Hopefully.

It worried me that adding toddlers won't be possible if they weren't in the core of the game. I mean in TS2 when they added young adults they were linked to a specific world and context, but they couldn't be taken anywhere else without them aging up

They only did that because it was less confusing, as YA were exactly the same as Adults, but had teen clothes and interactions. It was just to make it less obvious. You could use debug items to add YA to your actual household and it worked just fine. However you have to enrol and leave Uni to age up. It was just done as a way to make it look less simple.

They add Pets, which are programmed the same was as Sims they just have a different appearance, to the game just fine. And also support them in future content. Also, we already had confirmation that it was possible to add more life stages. SimGuruGraham confirmed that.

----

Honestly, they said they began exploring the concepts of adding Toddlers in mid 2015, just before Spa Day I believe. There is also a specific life stage in the game files between baby and child, so they already have the programming to add Toddlers to the game. It's just called "Unsupported Age" or something.

The reason why they are staying silent, is there hasn't been a final decision regarding them. We got a Survey from EA (which aren't created by Developers) asking if players wanted Toddlers and PreTeens. So it's still on EA's mind. They just want to know the popularity is there. While people on forums can shout to the rooftops that they want something, what speaks volumes is what players actually play with.

They began working on Babies and Toddlers for the Wii version of The Sims 3, but cancelled them, in favour for adding Weather and Tropical/Beach Content instead. EA's reasoning back then was, they scrapped any content that didn't prove popular and added exclusive content that had been popular instead. So Weather was considered popular from fans, so that was added. And people loved Bon Voyage with it's beach content and the beaches in Sims 3. So that's what took priority.

And my guess, the same thing happened with 4. They cancelled Toddlers and downgraded life stages that weren't seen as a big deal, while adding content that was seen as popular, such as the Hot Date/Nightlife/Late Night content. I'm pretty sure that The Sims 4 base game is the first base game to have official Dates, and Bar/Nightclubs/Lounge venues, with Musicians/Comedians etc.

I don't think it was the best choice, but that's what EA feels would appeal to the biggest audience. And they recently said The Sims 4 outperforms EA's expectations, and the strength on the Sims 4 is what's causing EA to have a lot of success right now. So they feel they are still making the right choices to appeal the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJzTcYwxI0

WOAH hold the phone!!!! When did they say this?! Where was this mentioned?!

She said they were exploring the possibility of adding toddlers, not concepts. Which could range from they were actively looking at developing them, to they were thinking about thinking about developing them. Nothing concrete was shared in the interview, more marketing fluff.

To the OP I really don't know. It's up to Maxis to develop them, if they do I'm sure I'll hear about it. Until then there's no use continuing to waste my time and energy rallying for content the developers clearly do not see as a priority.

Wow good to know. One more question - who is she? Which interview is this?

Rachel Franklin (former executive producer on The Sims 4, now head of Maxis). Not really sure what interview specifically, on mobile atm so I can't go searching for a link.

I do know the interview was published shortly before (maybe after) the first EP launched. It sparked a small amount of controversy over her incessant remarks about the writer "actually getting" her vision for the game (small nod at her belief, as well as other executives, that the player base can't comprehend their vision behind TS4). We really didn't learn a whole lot, but she did say that the omission of toddlers was the best decision they made at the time (again a small spark of controversy emerged).
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    I think they'll come back honestly, probably they'll use the budget for a generations expansion pack to patch them into the base game. That's what I'd do anyway and it's the smart thing to do..who knows if they'll do it though. But Toddlers were mentioned in a generations pack survey which is why I think that.

I feel like some people might even get mad if they say they're taking a while. The gurus said they wanted to try to get phone cases in get together but couldn't make any promises and some people still got mad anyway when they had to cancel that plan even though they specifically said don't count on it it's not garunteed to make it in.

People get mad at anything especially when our beloved toddlers are involved. Do I want them back, yes. do I think they'll come back? Hopefully.

It worried me that adding toddlers won't be possible if they weren't in the core of the game. I mean in TS2 when they added young adults they were linked to a specific world and context, but they couldn't be taken anywhere else without them aging up

They only did that because it was less confusing, as YA were exactly the same as Adults, but had teen clothes and interactions. It was just to make it less obvious. You could use debug items to add YA to your actual household and it worked just fine. However you have to enrol and leave Uni to age up. It was just done as a way to make it look less simple.

They add Pets, which are programmed the same was as Sims they just have a different appearance, to the game just fine. And also support them in future content. Also, we already had confirmation that it was possible to add more life stages. SimGuruGraham confirmed that.

----

Honestly, they said they began exploring the concepts of adding Toddlers in mid 2015, just before Spa Day I believe. There is also a specific life stage in the game files between baby and child, so they already have the programming to add Toddlers to the game. It's just called "Unsupported Age" or something.

The reason why they are staying silent, is there hasn't been a final decision regarding them. We got a Survey from EA (which aren't created by Developers) asking if players wanted Toddlers and PreTeens. So it's still on EA's mind. They just want to know the popularity is there. While people on forums can shout to the rooftops that they want something, what speaks volumes is what players actually play with.

They began working on Babies and Toddlers for the Wii version of The Sims 3, but cancelled them, in favour for adding Weather and Tropical/Beach Content instead. EA's reasoning back then was, they scrapped any content that didn't prove popular and added exclusive content that had been popular instead. So Weather was considered popular from fans, so that was added. And people loved Bon Voyage with it's beach content and the beaches in Sims 3. So that's what took priority.

And my guess, the same thing happened with 4. They cancelled Toddlers and downgraded life stages that weren't seen as a big deal, while adding content that was seen as popular, such as the Hot Date/Nightlife/Late Night content. I'm pretty sure that The Sims 4 base game is the first base game to have official Dates, and Bar/Nightclubs/Lounge venues, with Musicians/Comedians etc.

I don't think it was the best choice, but that's what EA feels would appeal to the biggest audience. And they recently said The Sims 4 outperforms EA's expectations, and the strength on the Sims 4 is what's causing EA to have a lot of success right now. So they feel they are still making the right choices to appeal the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQJzTcYwxI0

WOAH hold the phone!!!! When did they say this?! Where was this mentioned?!

She said they were exploring the possibility of adding toddlers, not concepts. Which could range from they were actively looking at developing them, to they were thinking about thinking about developing them. Nothing concrete was shared in the interview, more marketing fluff.

To the OP I really don't know. It's up to Maxis to develop them, if they do I'm sure I'll hear about it. Until then there's no use continuing to waste my time and energy rallying for content the developers clearly do not see as a priority.

Wow good to know. One more question - who is she? Which interview is this?

Rachel Franklin (former executive producer on The Sims 4, now head of Maxis). Not really sure what interview specifically, on mobile atm so I can't go searching for a link.

I do know the interview was published shortly before (maybe after) the first EP launched. It sparked a small amount of controversy over her incessant remarks about the writer "actually getting" her vision for the game (small nod at her belief, as well as other executives, that the player base can't comprehend their vision behind TS4). We really didn't learn a whole lot, but she did say that the omission of toddlers was the best decision they made at the time (again a small spark of controversy emerged).

Ahh that infamous one. I do know that one. Haven't read the full thing.

Anyways to OP:

I think that "leaked" picture is proof from a render, even if they won't admit it. I have high hopes. I'm not expecting them any time soon, but from the looks of that photo, they have at the very least a composite to work from.
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    No I don't think their coming back and Rachels response to toddlers sealed that deal for me.
  • Options
    JordojordJordojord Posts: 578 Member
    Maybe they could be ? but more than likely not the main focus.
    I normally did not care for toddlers but I wouldnt mind them because regardless they are a life stage
    My Top Picks for an EP:
    University
    Seasons
    Bonvoyage style (Loved those hotels)
  • Options
    JaysWrxldJaysWrxld Posts: 618 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    Polyrhythm wrote: »
    I don't know. Of course I hope they are, and my wishful thinking is that they've been working on toddlers the past year to get them just right. I don't mind if the devs take a while to include them, I just hope they make it it, even if it's a year from now. I also worry if they can be included at all, a lot of things seem limited by the game's engine.

There was that survey that mentioned toddlers (and preteens) though, so I guess if it was utterly impossible to add a new life stage they wouldn't have mentioned it

That's probably true.
    They're probably lacking people in the studio. Probably like 2 people legitimately working on toddlers.
    It's okay.
    Maybe next year we'll get them.
    :)

Next year is too long.. The sims has been out for 3 or 2 yrs!
  • Options
    rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited March 2016
    I don't see them working on toddlers or not being relevant at all. They won't say anything anyway. They leave us speculating whether they are coming or not.

If they are in development, well, then they are. If they aren't, well then they aren't. I'm sure they will make a big hype about it when they are coming. I can't imagine them sticking them just in a patch as a side feature or whatever.

So at this point? Maybe? Maybe not? we don't know, and we will never know until they are actually coming.
  • Options
    SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    Yes they are. They have claimed toddlers are a priority. I believe that to be true, but considering how long it takes to create new bodies with new animations (hello sims 3 pets), it's not going to be a fast project to complete.
    I'm always hoping it's the upcoming EP but won't be discouraged if it's not. One day they will come.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    I feel 2016 will be Toddlers year!
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Slawfish wrote: »
    Yes they are. They have claimed toddlers are a priority. I believe that to be true, but considering how long it takes to create new bodies with new animations (hello sims 3 pets), it's not going to be a fast project to complete.
    I'm always hoping it's the upcoming EP but won't be discouraged if it's not. One day they will come.

They never said they were a priority. They said that if they were to add a new life stage, toddlers would take priority over pre teens :)

• Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Toddlers will come when the time is right, but the time isn't right yet.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    From a business standpoint it wouldn't make sense if they weren't working on them. But I also wonder if they've just thrown in the towel without saying anything. I'm worried it's never going to happen but then I also worry they're going to do a bad job. If they don't release toddlers it will be terrible. If they release toddlers and they don't meet expectations it will be a tragedy.

I've played quite a few games so I'm somewhat used to devs being quiet. I've mentioned this before but I myself am under a few NDAs for jobs I've done. Part of me knows exactly why they aren't saying anything and the other part of me is upset that they're being quiet. I can say they are being unusually quiet for a studio, which makes me question why.

Maybe they're working on toddlers and have been doing so slowly since launch. Maybe they're making restaurants. Maybe there's someone who's working really hard on a fireman. Who knows? The problem is we don't, and I think that's what makes it so hard to want to support the series. I can only hope the future is bright while assuming it's actually dim.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I'm guessing they will come back, but they're not high on the priority list. If they have the metrics on how often they were played with in the prior series compared to other things in the game and they're not here already, then it is what it is.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I suppose they are half done already as initially they were supposed to be in the base game.
    That said, toddlers could be abandoned since the decissionwas taken andmaybe they haven't started working on them again. Who knows?
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    I lost hope and so I try to not think about it too much. It's hard when every other thread is about toddlers :( On one hand it sure gets their attention but on the other hand I get sad every time because they might never come back.
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    They need to hurry up, I've been waiting for way to long. If they're not out by summer honestly I don't know what I'm gonna be like :angry:
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Honestly I've waited for too long now, if they're not out by summer I don't even know... :rage:
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    SimmieSimsSimmieSims Posts: 234 Member
    I think it's really nice that the SimGurus have been communicating with us recently, and I love finding out more about people working on the game, even though I realize they can't tell us much.

To stay on topic, we haven't heard from @SimGuruRachel yet. And she's definitely the one we need to hear from in regards to toddlers and all of our other questions.

@SimGuruRachel - please share your thoughts with us in regards to toddlers. And other things....
    "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - William Henry Gates III
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    I'm pretty sure they're not working on Toddlers. I don't think they ever intend to.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    allieb312allieb312 Posts: 305 Member
    In my opinion, no. They had a Rachel interview on her saying there satisfied with no toddlers.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    I do think they'll come back, just not as fast as we would like/expect. For me it doesn't really matter that much, since i'd rather want them to be added to their full potential, then just a quick patch so they can hurry up. Besides, once you have them, you can play with them for as long as you like, I mean, I still play Sims 2 sometimes. So yes, I do think they'll be added in the future.
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think that they are going to skip toddlers this time round and then put them in TS5 instead so maybe come back in a few years and I am sure that TS5 will have all life stages :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    pinkangelsimpinkangelsim Posts: 389 Member
    honestly at this point I am not sure they will. I have totally given up hope. I think if they are going to give us toddlers it would be better to given soon rather than later.
  • Options
    mookie1981mookie1981 Posts: 189 Member
    I don't think we will get toddlers. They are to hush hush, and quiet quiet about the situation. They don't wan to lose their consumer base so they figure the best way to not lose money on more packs is to just keep quiet. I think its ridiculous the way they act like children tip toeing around the weather or not they are being added. I want toddlers and I miss them, but I will no longer support this game after the end of this year if toddlers are not being added. I just don't see it happening for the ts4 series. Why nod to pets and be quiet about toddlers?
    2vmcal4.jpg
  • Options
    efaspaceefaspace Posts: 85 Member
    I really don't think we'll ever get toddlers in TS4 - it's a huge gap in the game to fill and too big an addition to be included in any kind of expansion pack. It's not an area of the game to "expand on" - it is (to some) a fundamental aspect of gameplay that, if not part of the base game, can't just be plonked in with an EP unfortunately. Obviously this is just my opinion but I don't see how they could possibly do it...