Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 is still better than Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Rotational players probably hated 3, and now it seems that it's Family players' turn to feel left out.

Well, this rotational player absolutely despised The Sims 3 at launch. Boyfriends marrying strangers, parents being culled, larvae everywhere... what a mess! I tried really hard to adapt to playing a single household, but just couldn't do it; I resumed playing The Sims 2 until The Sims 4 was released.

I loved The Sims 4 truly, madly, deeply for more than a year. Until December 4th, 2015, when relationship culling was introduced and rotational play was destroyed. Yes, I know all about MC Command Center - just as I knew all about NRAAS. I just don't think that it should be necessary to mod a game to make it playable, especially when it's changes to the core game that broke it in the first place.
    A lot was improved for the rotational player in Sims 3. They got rid of story progression all together, it's just aging now. No more boyfriends marrying strangers, no more unexpected baby clones for single men, and on top of that mods were developed that catered to the rotational player. Let's hope the same thing will happen to Sims 4 concerning family play.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I'm about as much a rotational player as one can be. I can switch through a dozen or more families in a single session. I've come across only a few issues like finding elder sims I wanted to have played as retired suddenly working at the firehouse, the science lab, the hospital, and so on. However, a simple workaround like making them self employed as gardeners or writers has totally fixed that. Other than that, I really am happy with how things work as I jump around from family to family.

I did not play rotational at launch, as it just simply wasn't my style at the time. So I missed out on the issues which annoyed rotational players.

But as a rotational player in TS3, I absolutely LOVE it.
  • Options
    urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2016
    Read Above

Sims 3 Vs 4

Heck, go buy sims 2 its even better
    If you like a lot of loading screens like sims 4 buy 2

If you want just 1 Big loading screen buy 3

Both are great games
    Sims 2 or 3

You will be really happy and have hours and hours of fun play time.
    you will be able to build or play any way you like.
  • Options
    HIFreeBirdIHHIFreeBirdIH Posts: 1,410 Member
    Rotational play isn't bad in TS3, it's just a bit... unwieldy to do so. When I tried doing rotational play in my main save, I pretty much stuck to one household since it took forever to actually get to another one of my households. I found it much easier to actually do it in 4, since it didn't take forever for me to actually get to another household. It's easier for me to intertwine the households together and create one whole story with every person related to the next. Relationship culling pretty much shook me up, but before I went in I went to get a mod disabling the culling before I jumped into my save to play. I sincerely hope that they get rid of it.
    Just some random Simmer you probably don't even follow on the gallery! Gallery name's the same as my username! Did I just rhyme there?
    xyIcMqt.png
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Rotational play isn't bad in TS3, it's just a bit... unwieldy to do so. When I tried doing rotational play in my main save, I pretty much stuck to one household since it took forever to actually get to another one of my households. I found it much easier to actually do it in 4, since it didn't take forever for me to actually get to another household. It's easier for me to intertwine the households together and create one whole story with every person related to the next. Relationship culling pretty much shook me up, but before I went in I went to get a mod disabling the culling before I jumped into my save to play. I sincerely hope that they get rid of it.

Yeah, I do use a mod to make it a little less awkward in 3. All I have to do is right click on a sim or their picture in the relationship bar or their house and in like two more clicks they are active. No jumping up to edit town, which you have to do in 4 as well - well manage world or something like that. I think the steps are pretty similar, and 4 is a little more streamlined in that regard but not by enough to bother with. So if you ever decide to get back into 3 and want to play in rotation, I would suggest Nraas Master Controller. I jump from household to household without skipping a beat, before an interaction is even over I'm on the other end of it.
  • Options
    I swap households sometimes (I don't play rotational, but sometimes I want to have a look how things are there and then don't save the game) and I don't think that's very complicated? Edit town, press the change households button, click on the household you want to go to and there you go. What did you have to do in 2 to rotate?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,325 Member
    edited January 2016
    If we compare the 16 months...

The Sims 4 + FP01 + GP01/02 + EP01/02 + SP01/02/03/04 vs The Sims 3 + EP01/02 + SP01/02 + Store

Hmmm... The Sims 4 wins.

The Sims 3 EP01 World Adventures was a disappointing RPG.
    The content of SP01 High-End Loft Stuff, SP02 Fast Lane Stuff and Store wasn't awesome.
    Even if we got washer, dryer and tattoos in CAS, the beginning of TS3 wasn't as much amazing as TS4.
  • Options
    mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited January 2016

The Sims 4 + FP01 + GP01/02 + EP01/02 + SP01/02/03/04 vs The Sims 3 + EP01/02 + SP01/02 + Store

Hmmm... The Sims 4 wins.

The content of SP01 High-End Loft Stuff, SP02 Fast Lane Stuff and Store wasn't awesome.
    Even if we got washer, dryer and tattoos in CAS, the beginning of TS3 wasn't as much amazing as TS4.

It's funny that you believe that the more of something there is, the better it must be. Many people are more concerned about the quality of what they get over the quantity; for example, would you rather have fifteen really shoddily made cheeseburgers or three really, really good ones? Sure, you'll be more full from 15 dang cheeseburgers, but will you be satisfied?

Using that comparison, TS4 has put out quite a lot of content in the last 16 months. Some of it has been unanimously good (Spa Day is a brilliant example) and some of it...not so much (hey there, Spooky Stuff, it seems your content is only good for...what...one month out of 12? I am aware some people use it all of the year, please don't start with the "BUT BUT BUT"). At this point, lots of people are getting overwhelmed with the amount of money that's necessary to actually...HAVE all the things available for TS4. At the same time, even if it wasn't always fantastic, there was always a lot of work put into whatever packs came out for TS3 *IN THE BEGINNING*. There was a lot of ambition, even if it didn't always pan out very well, and that's what makes them so special. Tack in the fact that the store allowed you to pick and choose what you wanted out of..."packs", let's call them, instead of forcing you to pay for the whole thing just so you can have that one hairstyle that you think is cute.

I don't know, I'm not gonna sit here and say that either game "wins" because they both have their positives and negatives. But I'm certainly not gonna sit here and say that one wins over the other because one has tons more content that tries desperately to paste over a shaky base laden with problems.

also how dare you i love the washer and dryer those things have changed my life for the better
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @JoAnne65

I forgot some notes.

I was excited by TS3 basegame and EP02 Ambitions but I'm excited by TS4 basegame, FP01 Holiday Celebration Pack, GP02 Spa Day, SP04 Spooky Stuff and EP02 Get Together.

Just I compared the feelings I've got for each games 16 months after they were released.

I was bored with TS3 basegame that's why I was playing TS2 until EP02 Ambitions was released.
    Now it's EP02 Get Together which makes TS4 more interesting.
  • Options
    Landscapes101Landscapes101 Posts: 91 Member
    The Sims 4 is a rough diamond, emphasis on rough. The Sims 3 has many features, offers a wide world with plenty of possibilities but it has one major flaw, TS3 is broken. TS3 is unplayable unless you stuff it with mods that are meant to fix what the developers forgot or were too lazy to do. The Sims 4, on the other hand, lacks so many features, core features but it is playable. TS4 has beautiful graphics and beautiful sims, but those sims lack personality. I would say, the Sims 3 at the very least has more options and more replayability, TS3 sims might have potatoes faces but with some CC they'll look somewhat decent. I wish TS3 was playable and didn't have so many bugs/glitches
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    The Sims 4 is a rough diamond, emphasis on rough. The Sims 3 has many features, offers a wide world with plenty of possibilities but it has one major flaw, TS3 is broken. TS3 is unplayable unless you stuff it with mods that are meant to fix what the developers forgot or were too lazy to do. The Sims 4, on the other hand, lacks so many features, core features but it is playable. TS4 has beautiful graphics and beautiful sims, but those sims lack personality. I would say, the Sims 3 at the very least has more options and more replayability, TS3 sims might have potatoes faces but with some CC they'll look somewhat decent. I wish TS3 was playable and didn't have so many bugs/glitches

I played vanilla TS3 from its launch until TS4 was released. It played well for me so its not the case that it's unplayable for everyone without mods :)
    I have actually had a worse time with bugs in TS4 than the entire TS3 lifespan. It's just a matter of luck! :)
  • Options
    I can second what @sparkfairy1 says. Played the game without any NRaas mods 2009-halfway 2015, when Bridgeport forced me to. I didn't 'stuff' the game with mods, I installed two: Overwatch and Errortrap and that did the trick. And recently I installed Mastercontroller because I love to be able to play with genetics. That's not a necessity though, it's just great I can do that now.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I can second what @sparkfairy1 says. Played the game without any NRaas mods 2009-halfway 2015, when Bridgeport forced me to. I didn't 'stuff' the game with mods, I installed two: Overwatch and Errortrap and that did the trick. And recently I installed Mastercontroller because I love to be able to play with genetics. That's not a necessity though, it's just great I can do that now.

Agreed. Sims 3 was playable for me until Pets. I never got Island Paradise so I didn't experience glitches there, but I heard they were awful. But with those two mods my game was playable post Pets for me again. BUT. I do like the style of S4 better, and also think it really is a diamond in the rough. They have a ton of smoothing out to do before it shines like its predecessors.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    My TS3 game become stable with EP09 University Life but it began to be weird when the boat/swim in the sea system was added with EP10 Island Paradise and become unstable with EP11 Into The Future.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited January 2016

I've never used mods in Sim's 3. Some of the worlds have a bit of lag for me due to routing issues but those are fixable. It was never broken for me and I still enjoy it. From what I read on the forum Sims 4 has it's own set of bugs and glitches and will probably have lots more everytime a new EP or SP is added on.

• Options
    Ridgehand2015Ridgehand2015 Posts: 11 New Member
    > @Toxicdirt_scummm said:
    > I grew up on sims 1, moved on with ease to Sims 2, and didn't hesitate to jump to Sims 3 leaving all other makes behind, but Sims 4 is such a struggle to play. I was so excited for Sims 4 to come out but when it did it was just so disappointing that I don't even see it as a real game, Sims 3 is still my go to sims game. The lack of an open world, the camera angle, the fact that when I open the fridge the shelf doesn't freaking close, no toddlers, honestly there is nothing to do in that game. I'm afraid to waste my money on expansions because I fear the gameplay honestly wont be any better. I already feel like I wasted a good $70 just on the base game. Is there anyone else out there that is still just so disappointed by the Sims 4 like I am?

SO TRUE!!!
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I was playing Sims 3 tonight and I realized just how much I find Sims 3's world more relaxing and appealing than Sims 4's. I never thought I could hate pastels and bright colors so freaking much until after I played Sims 4. The worlds look like they either belong in a remake of Dora the Explorer, or are home to these characters.

lisa_frank_9123.JPG
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member

Yes but TS4 is still baking

"Patience always pays off"

Meanwhile, people are tasting this unfinished product and getting salmonella from the rotten eggs. :/
    :joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol::joy::lol:

& that's true, patient fans with a constantly open purse pay off best for EA :tongue:

who knows, maybe EA reconsiders TS3 as being a rough diamond
    & develops a 64bit version, polishes the graphics & the world maps & releases at least one additional EP "Back To Business"
    :love:

but i wonder what status TS4 will have in 2021
    will there be ever cars ? traits that work ? emotions that not flip by going from one room to another ? actual life stages ? CASt ? CAW ? no loading screen to visit the neighbor ? sims living an actual life instead of props ? i could go on cause this list seems to be endless ...

as to the question - Is TS3 still better than TS4 ?

since september i played lots of different games but still no inclination to even open TS4 (at least it's still installed :joy: )
    i installed TSMedieval anew & am playing there a new game
    i have still a game running in TS2
    i have also still MySims installed & still love it to play there from time to time
    i have still the Castaways Sims of TS2 to finish & the other two Stories to play :smiley:
    i am considering to install TS1 once again which i deinstalled short before TS4 came out
    &
    i installed finally Roaring Heights & yesterday Showtime & will be probably buying my fifth Stuff Pack soon
    i own nearly everything from the TS3 store
    i use besides of some NRaas mods & few CC way less mods in TS3 than i had to if i wanted to even bother with TS4 in its current state

so a clear bold YES - TS3 is still way better than TS4
    for me every sims game is better than TS4, after nearly 17 months since its release still

the main reason for me why TS3 is still better is because
    TS3 offers a living world actually worth that name

could TS3 be better - of course
    but i just sit back while i wonder if TS4's devs will really ever succeed to bring in enough of the missing features to make me bother with it instead to just deinstall it

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Options
    Swiftlover13Swiftlover13 Posts: 2,369 Member

Hmmm... The Sims 4 wins.

This is the most biased Non Colton comment I have ever seen. I also find it rather hypocritical. I don't feel as if the quantity of packs makes the game better quality, quite the contrary actually. Logic only follows that if there is a higher amount of something, usually they will never be as well made. Also, I find it a bit crazy that we had the first 4 stuff packs in such a short time frame.

In regards to World Adventures, I didn't like it much, but it still added 3 new OPEN WORLD holiday destinations that all had certain things to do. I also think that the "RPG" feel of the pack was a bad idea, but I also feel the same about The Sims 4. Having to unlock certain items etc. made the game feel like an RPG, instead of the God game that The Sims is supposed to be. Also, World Adventures is likely no worse than Get To Work (ok, maybe just a bit) as the new content added to GTW is limited to 3 careers, and a new "world", which was simply 3 lots glued together (even TS1 Hot Date had a better world than this). ALSO, I found Ambitions to be one of the most underrated Sims packs, as it added (6?) new careers (5 of which are fully in-depth interactive, as well as the Self-Employed careers). Compare Ambitions to Get to Work, and the 3 new careers it adds feels a bit weak. I feel people overestimate TS4's packs as they seem to add more because of the empty base game (toddlers please.........).

Then the issue of the Stuff Packs. Sure, HELS and FLS didn't add "Awesome" content, but the content is certainly better made than most of the content in ANY of the TS4 stuff packs. Ok, maybe none of them add new functions, but I was pretty sick after seeing that Luxury Party Stuff didn't even reach 20 items. I feel that Cool Kitchen Stuff is the worst offender, however. I mean, 1 new counter type, and a sink that pretty much looks the same as every other sink in the game. I will admit that the Ice Cream Machine is cool, but it doesn't fit my idea of "Stuff Pack".

Other reasons I dislike TS4 include:
    • Culling of sims (kills the family tree and the social interactions)
    • No Toddlers (newborn to 9 year old in seconds!)
    • No Pools or Dishwashers at launch (and you guys thought that no diving boards was bad)
    • Lack of Open World (makes the game feel extremely restrictive and boring)
    • Lack of Create-A-Style (KILLS building and furnishing, yet still performance issues?)
    • Loading Screens Galore! (Even to get to your nextdoor neighbour's house, even though all the furniture is clearly already loaded up inside)
    • Bad Choices for EPs (Don't add Aliens before toddlers plz.....)
    • STILL no base game Seasons or Pets (I understand that they take a long time to make, but they could've at least developed on TS4 for longer)

Hang on. Need to go stop my hands from shaking and fix my Repetitive Strain Injury.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited January 2016
    This is the most biased Non Colton comment
    • No Pools or Dishwashers at launch (and you guys thought that no diving boards was bad)
    • Lack of Create-A-Style (KILLS building and furnishing, yet still performance issues?)
    • Loading Screens Galore! (Even to get to your nextdoor neighbour's house, even though all the furniture is clearly already loaded up inside)
    • STILL no base game Seasons or Pets (I understand that they take a long time to make, but they could've at least developed on TS4 for longer)

Hang on. Need to go stop my hands from shaking and fix my Repetitive Strain Injury.
    I have to disagree with this part. I don't want them to cut off supernaturals just because they messed up and forgot toddlers. I really didn't like how late we had to wait for aliens in the Sims 3 and do not want a repeat of that again. I love toddlers, but I do equally want supernatural versions of them too. I also badly miss ghost babies. GT not having a life state stinks.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited January 2016

I find it rather hypocritical
    • Culling: a good thing, Random NPC homeless townies were culled by using Twallan's mod in TS3 because they were a big annoyance
    • Toddler: another big annoyance in TS3, crying all the time everywhere in the world.
    • Pool and Dishwasher are free and include to the TS4 basegame, your argue is a non sense. TS3 didn't get Tattoos, Body hair, Create A creature or Dryer/Washer at the launch.
    • Open unstable world, endless world loading, endless world saving and Error 12. Your sims were prisoner of an unique world.
    • Create A Style and slow texture loading and overloaded memory
    • Objects Loading galore in TS3, you spend your time to wait about 5min before all the objects are loaded, it's worst if you switch between 8 sims in different places.
    • Bad choices for EP: Let's talk about the annoying mummy and useless simbot, people complained so much they did plumbot.
    • Seasons or Pets ? Seriously you want it without toddler ? You should understand some features are enough complex they can't be added to the basegame. Note: Not everybody wants pets in their game.

• Options
    Landscapes101Landscapes101 Posts: 91 Member
    I should give TS3 a try again now that I have a new computer that probably can run it 10x better. I do agree with previous posts about TS3 pushing the envelope and coming up with really unique ideas and on top of all that one could literally make any story they wanted due to the freedom, The Sims weren't perfect personality wise but with the traits one could make really unique sims at the end of the day, unlike TS4 the three traits you can choose barely do anything, I'm sure they were short on time so they just cut out the addition of other traits like most of the other features. CAS in TS4 is certainly an upgrade but that's all there is to it, once you go into "live mode" you're stuck with the fakest, lifeless, bland world possible, heck, at least, TS2 felt more alive.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The funniest part, TS3 is so unstable, EA recommend to use only 2 or 3 packs at a time (TS3 launcher).
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top