Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any going back? (TS2)

Comments

• Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited January 2016
    @XopaxPax wrote: »
    TS2 is very limiting when it comes to the world or neighborhood, but the gameplay is more complex than TS3 and TS4 together, there are just too many details that are not in recent games unfortunately. :/
    I play TS2 since 2008, and i feel like i didn't even explored 20% of what the game has in it.

Really? I've been pretty much been able to explore the gameplay of the base game within a few weeks, and each pack just a day or two.
    The Sims 4 had more gameplay to explore, personally.

The Sims 3 is king in terms of heaps of gameplay (considering the Store) however I haven't bought store sets for the Sims 3 because they are not worth the price. I will wait for The Sims 3 store to close, and they are no longer available for sale, which is when I'll download them.
    I remember when The Sims 2 store closed, and EA said they were happy for you to download the content for free, and happy for others to upload them for people who missed out. I'm guessing the Sims 3 store will work the same way.

I like to play the game slowly, i have yet to use the retail and law enforcement career of GTW, i still didn't visited the secret places of TS4 neither did i went to Sixam, i also have to visit all the places from Winderburg and a lot of other things, but in TS2 for example, there's too much i have yet to do like finish the university, or finish all the career, idk there's so many things... I think that is just my way of playing the game, i will never understand people that fully explore a entire EP in the release day.
    I really wanted to fully explore TS3, but i when i installed all the Packs+Store content up to University the game started to lag so bad that it was unplayable.

tenor.gif
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    TS2 is very limiting when it comes to the world or neighborhood, but the gameplay is more complex than TS3 and TS4 together, there are just too many details that are not in recent games unfortunately. :/
    I play TS2 since 2008, and i feel like i didn't even explored 20% of what the game has in it.

Really? I've been pretty much been able to explore the gameplay of the base game within a few weeks, and each pack just a day or two.

The Sims 3 is king in terms of heaps of gameplay (considering the Store) however I haven't bought store sets for the Sims 3 because they are not worth the price. I will wait for The Sims 3 store to close, and they are no longer available for sale, which is when I'll download them.
    I remember when The Sims 2 store closed, and EA said they were happy for you to download the content for free, and happy for others to upload them for people who missed out. I'm guessing the Sims 3 store will work the same way.

I like to play the game slowly, i have yet to use the retail and law enforcement career of GTW, i still didn't visited the secret places of TS4 neither did i went to Sixam, i also have to visit all the places from Winderburg and a lot of other things, but in TS2 for example, there's too much i have yet to do like finish the university, or finish all the career, idk there's so many things... I think that is just my way of playing the game, i will never understand people that fully explore a entire EP in the release day.

I play slowly as well, but in terms of new content, I always check out whats there, so that when I come around to it, I know what to expect and how to approach it.

I feel like if you just dive straight into an EP with a current family, you can get sidetracked and ruin what you wanted for them.

Eg. I created some YA and played University within a few days, (including trying the careers). But then I took my current family to Uni one at a time and that took much longer.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,971 Member
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    I agree also being it was made back in a time when tech was not as advanced as it is today I would expect the game to be dated. However, even with new tech some games gameplay is just bleh. I liked the gameplay of TS 2 even though I disliked the twilight effect but there was a closeness between the sims that I do not see with Sims 3 or 4.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited January 2016
    QDog wrote: »
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    I hate TS2 graphics a bit btw, it's a bit too colorless sometimes, so i use this mod, it improves lighting a lot:

MTS_dDefinder-776985-INDOOR.gif
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=290746
    I love that mod. There's definetly a improvement. Mainly because it adds Morning and Evening lighting.

Also if you play in Win8 or 10 you should download the shadow fix:
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585

Wow that looks great! I will definitely download that mod! Many thanks for sharing! :)
    @QDog The scriptorium found here http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=192613 also installs the lightning mod for you - so if you want to improve your game by installing custom modular stairs, e.g. installing the scriptorium, then that's a good idea. It's a bit easier than the manual method. :)

Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »

I play slowly as well, but in terms of new content, I always check out whats there, so that when I come around to it, I know what to expect and how to approach it.

I feel like if you just dive straight into an EP with a current family, you can get sidetracked and ruin what you wanted for them.

Eg. I created some YA and played University within a few days, (including trying the careers). But then I took my current family to Uni one at a time and that took much longer.
    What I have found is that no matter how much I 'explore' Sims 2, there are always situations that I haven't encountered before, and I find new stuff all the time. For example there are animations and interactions that only are used very rarely, and only with specific personalities, so ones can play the game for a looong time and still never encounter them. :)
    And even if you have seen it before, the game has a certain feeling of newness to it, so one gets that tingling feeling of joy because it's all so precious. Ah the sweet moments one gets. CC also helps alot. I remember I used to be really stressed out playing toddlers for example, but when I found those wonderful toddlers mattresses they can crawl into themselves (taken from the petbed interaction) everything became so much easier - also pescado's mods for babies and toddlers really help aswell. But that's just one example.

Anyway, I am happy for you that you enjoy Sims 4 so much - for me though it has very big shoes to fill after loving Sims 2 for so long. ;)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I have different reasons for playing different Sims games. When I'm interested in great game play I play 2. I think it's the best in terms of depth of play. When I feel like building I turn to 3 because I can edit entire towns to my liking. As far as 4, I used to really enjoy CAS and I still do but after that I just close the game because there are just too many things wrong and I'm waiting for them to be fixed.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
    Went back to The Sims 2 about 4 months ago from playing The Sims 3. It was like coming home. Sure there are things in 3 I wish 2 did, but over all I love 2 the best.
  • Options
    aquabluefoxaquabluefox Posts: 74 Member
    I've started getting back into the Sims 2 recently and found it to be very entertaining. I love that I can leave a family and come back to find them in the same place that I left them, and with a mod that makes it so that sims no longer come back home at the same time that they left it I can really enjoy heading out to community lots. It's even better than time in Sims 4 because I can send one sim out for 3 hours and then go back home and play the other sims in the household for 3 hours while the other sim is still away, so every sim in the household gets the attention they need without having to replay time at home.

I miss things like multitasking and the improved CAS a bit, but the depth of the gameplay and the better community lots make it for me. There are proper retail stores and restaurants and I can mix different lot types such as having a restaurant in a night club without worrying about filling certain requirements. There is also much more room for drama to occur because sims are more aware and have better reactions and interactions. Right now I've made a custom neighborhood using one of the templates and am busy filling it up with households and lots over the course of time, all while building a story between the different families. The Sims 2 may have less stuff to do in some areas than Sims 3 or Sims 4, but what it does have feels complete and polished and that really makes a difference to me.
  • Options
    Melbana9Melbana9 Posts: 262 Member
    i love all the drama in sims 2 :)
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 964 Member
    however I am afraid that I may find TS2 too “limiting” after playing TS3 and TS4.

I have gone back to TS2, and think it's the other way around in several ways.
    Any experiences? Do you really miss features such as multi-tasking or the more advanced CAS?

No. In fact, the multi-tasking of TS4 doesn't make much difference. For instance, the sims of TS2 often talks while eating, too. Eating while talking just takes more time in TS2, but on the other hand the TS2 sims don't walk around with their food. I agree the TS2 sims are often more lively than the TS3 or TS4 sims.
    As I mentioned in another post, I have plenty of ideas and storylines planned (most of them involving lots of drama!),

For the time being, I have several storylines going on in Strangetown and it's sub-neighborhood in TS2. In fact, I have lost tracks on most of them. I don't like drama, but the sims don't care. Some sims at college are even made for drama, and I made a few cow mascots and drama professors playable. Furthermore, you never know what the guests or family members are doing while you are not watching.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    I like playing TS3 for the open world etc. but feel more involved with my Sims in TS2. I don't have 4 but have played it at other's places, and I think the emotions in 2 are better than the ones in 4. I **care** about my Sims in 2.
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I tried going back to test it after TS2UC got installed on my computer and I'm enjoying it as an alternative for when I want a TS3 break.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    I love the sims 2 and playing it from time to time, but there are things that I don't like about it, Sims 4 spoiled me in these areas:

1- Lack of multitasking
    2- the better graphics in TS4
    3- Ease of CAS in TS4
    4- Sims not gaining skill points in community lot
    5- Sims not being able to visit their neighbors

Things that TS2 is still superior than TS4:
    1- Toddlers
    2- The retail system is awesome while TS4's retail is bad
    3- Family Tree is more solid in TS2
    4- No culling horror stories in TS2
    5- Sims 2 right now has the advantage of more packs like apartments, seasons, pets. Once we get these in TS4 I am hoping the game will be much better. Get Together has already made my game a lot more fun so I am hoping future EPs will do the same. I just hope GTW will be the worst EP and that no future EP will be worse than it.

Actually...it gets even better:

TS2 has cars with animations and various interactions, which includes car woohoo
    TS2 has far more and better NPC's including grocery delivery
    TS2 has grocery stores and clothing stores in Base Game
    TS2 has aliens and ghosts in the base game
    TS2's worlds are not shredded to pieces and there is an actual world where you can place additional lots
    TS2's sims seem more interactive than in TS4
    TS2 has sligh hair movement and couch pillows also move when sims jump on them or sit or lounge, in TS4 everything is stiff as a board
    TS2 has more and better wall paint/tiles/wallpaper than in TS4 imo
    In TS2 you can change bed frame colours and mattresses independently and same system goes to other objects, it's not CASt, but it's still far better than TS4
    TS2 has round roofs etc.
    TS2 has terrain tools
    TS2 has in-game built world editor/creator

I honestly could be here all day long.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    I like playing TS3 for the open world etc. but feel more involved with my Sims in TS2. I don't have 4 but have played it at other's places, and I think the emotions in 2 are better than the ones in 4. I **care** about my Sims in 2.

I feel exactly the same way :) I don't want to sound like I'm trash talking about TS4 but I just don't know something is really off with the sims in TS4 I don't know what it is but they feel more superficial.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    I have "gone back" to Sims 2 and 3 - currently I'm on a Sims 2 bender and having a blast :blush: It's not just the things to do, indeed it's not even primarily the things to do, but the sims themselves. Different personalities really mean something. They change the autonomous behaviours and if you haven't let your sims run themselves for a while you won't even see most of those things. They also affect attraction and how much they enjoy various activities. Sims have a lot of things that they cannot be directed to do, but will only do on their own. Also things like aspiration failures can actually be gameplay in their own right. You can play to "win" OR play to "fail" and have fun either way!

Also, the number of quirky things that can happen...

Plant Sim/Witch/Werewolf hybrid plays in the bath:
    74Bh4sM.jpg

That awkward moment when a strange man wakes you up and arrests you in the middle of the night (University Secret Society):
    xf8OZLo.jpg

Family Play in Sims 2 wins hands down:
    Cswhhbg.jpg

And may I mention... True Apartments:
    vubHwxF.jpg

What I love about Sims 2 is the depth of the game. Sure Sims 3 has so much more to "do", but Sims were never as complicated little beings as they were in 2. There are so many little details that were never repeated but add up to something special. I played Sims 4 out in a matter of months and now I loathe it (I hope I can get past that one day), Sims 3 I enjoy, but Sims 2 I will always love <3
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @QDog I usually don't go back and play TS2 or TS3, but I got the urge to go back to TS2 this weekend. It's true what everyone has said about the graphics. But it's the little details that TS2 had that makes the game so much fun. The cheating aspect is hilarious. First the music, then the smack down & your Sim is left seeing stars...that is so classic. I also like all the things that kids can do & the interaction with toddlers. I'm a big fan of supernaturals and the alien & werewolf game play is awesome. My game style is family play....I go back to TS2 when I need to get that family play fix. No shade towards TS4, but it just doesn't fit my play style with family play.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2016
    Lately I have found that I’m not having as much fun with TS4 as I would expect and I’m thinking about going back to the “roots”. I have TS2 UC and I am planning to install it and give it a go, however I am afraid that I may find TS2 too “limiting” after playing TS3 and TS4. I was wondering if someone is still playing TS2 or has gone back to TS2, and if they have found this game to still be enjoyable after so much time. Any experiences? Do you really miss features such as multi-tasking or the more advanced CAS?

Just to give you a little bit of context: I don’t really care about closed worlds, or the lack of customization (there is plenty of CC out there). I really like multi-tasking, though. In any event, what I really want is my sims to be more “alive”, and if I recall things correctly, sims were way more lively in TS2. As I mentioned in another post, I have plenty of ideas and storylines planned (most of them involving lots of drama!), however most of the times my sims (in TS4) do not seem to react properly and this just breaks immersion for me (e.g. the parents divorce and their children go on about their lives as if nothing had happened). It feels as if I am fooling myself and playing pretend most of the time (e.g. making a child be mean to one of his parents after he has found them cheating) because sims do not seem to be really aware of their surroundings (except when there is a stupid emotional painting around).

What would be limiting to you? Seeing Sims without buffs on their faces? lol I'm joking. I do not enjoy the moodlet system and maybe you would miss the game telling you how your Sim feels. I actually can't stand the game telling me how my Sim feels. I prefer to see it and believe it.

Would you miss multitasking? I did once in TS2 when I wanted my Sim to go over to the other Sim and chat while the other was eating. He couldn't do that. However, I prefer my Sims setting the table, caring for the toddlers, being able to build houses with a foundation and a garage or shed without one.

I prefer car pools and my Sims owning and driving cars. Sitting in the car cuddling with the radio on. There are some things I do miss from the later games, like feeling good just because the music is on (from TS3). That, I do miss. Or feeling good because the music is on in the room they are in. TS2 can't do that.

But what I love about TS2 more is I am not told at all what I have to place on community lots. So, I can build a shopping center YAY with a restaurant in a different building, and a hotel on the lot, too, and a pool, and a pool hall etc. etc. And just send my Sim there to experience and enjoy it all. Other Sims show up and may be using all parts of that one big lot. I don't have to designate what type lot. I enjoy TS2 still yet, because unlike TS3 and TS4 if I build it they will come...and use every bit of it.

They won't bunch up in group talks where I can't get them separated and they can slow dance and dance and face each other.

I can build my graveyards without worrying about the ghosts being culled they will always be there. I can have real haunted houses and if my Sims don't survive the hauntings, so be it.

I can run asylums and drive them into the ground with insanity...something I can't do in TS3 or TS4.

I can have weather and enjoy the amazing sounds of thunder storms. I can worry my Sim will be struck dead ( but rare after patches) if they are so silly they go out to play in puddles.

I can have a Sim baby from cradle to grave, and grandma and grandpa matter.

I don't know I look at the limitations we have in TS4 because of the multitasking causing problems for future content and I don't know how anybody would ever think TS2 is 'limited'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    Beautifully said, @Cinebar
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    MiamineMiamine Posts: 731 Member
    There's a lot of fun in just the base game and the expansions. Heck you can play the base game alone and have fun for several years. After 12 years I'm still finding new things about this game that I love, just the easter eggs that Maxis put in the game..... But!!!

But with Mods - Wow - Sims 2 is endless in what it provides

1) Working hospitals, schools, banks and prisons, that your sims can visit, can own, and can work in. (and other sims NPC and playables can work in, visit and use. It's all pure sandbox play, prisoners try to escape and you can set them to work, you choose the warden, you build the school, and nurses dream of love and hate patients and phone them up and stalk them when they get home.
    2) Sim Star Treck Worlds - with costumes, vehicles, guns and equipment
    3) A whole Adult expansion, that your sims can use, work in and make profit off (Love is for sale)
    4) A working Sim religion with heaven, hell and consequences (now your sims are prudes)
    5) Build a City Challenge - A sim world owned and run for the sims (only needs base game & OFB)
    6) A banking expansion & modded Sim Guns - Now burglaries and klingon sword fighting are possible
    7) Sims in Love - A mod that makes romance and pregnancy happen without you controlling
    8) Sims Zombie Apocalypse - real zombies doing their thing and attacking everybody
    9) Crazy plagues and diseases which will kill a town dead in an instance
    10) Sims 2 Valhalla - Roman fighting world, with wounds, bloods and death included
    11) Sims 2 child care - yep, just like sims 3
    12) Apocalypse world and urban decay custom content - Fallout 4 in a sims 2 world
    13) Visit other sims - age other sims - Take toddlers out - proper time syncing - yep, mods can do all that

And the best - Not a mod but a total bunch of websites

11) Sims 2 Medieval world - New crops and trees to grow, animals to rear and fight, wagons,, water wells, clothes, ghosts & spooky places, wine, knitting, heck they even have sim pictures for your wall of sim horses that you can buy, own and ride ... and the list goes on, they release content regularly, and many. many creators are involved.

How does a game last 10 years - For sims 2, with it's modders and imagination the list is endless (I've probably forgotten some other things you can do, like ultra modern world ( with top class realist furniture and sims, that is more photogenic than anything provided yet), regency world, victorian world)

Me, I'm still happy just playing the normal suburban game, I'll save the rest for the next 10years or so. My sims get drunk, just like Sims 3 and behave very badly (simslice) When the Sims 3 or 4 release things, our modders adapt it for Sims 2. So we got that pumpkins carving from that spooky pack, but in Sims 2 we grow the pumpkins first and sell them and the carving knife in OFB shops. (watch the knife though, cause we got a modded knife that will kill your sims dead) I'm working on private investigator from Sims 3, it's not as good, but it sure beats sims 4. I got bins you can investigate, I got the board, I got disguises to make my sim into a girl for undercover work. I got objects you can steal and I got a computer than can write reports and get paid for it.

With Sims 2 and modding, anything is possible, when playing with mods, the question is usually "what do I do next"
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I haven't left it even 10 years later, although I admit I did have to take a little break from it for college because the Sims 2 is so addicting. I'm not bored with it. There are some things you can do like apply a graphics ruler to the game and there is a mod to fix the shadows. But those visual things are optional. I still love it and the mechanics of the game are wonderful. It appeals to all of my play styles. <3 I enjoy the Sims 2 UC a lot.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I forgot tribe sims and Sims 2 pets expansion
    Affinity sims has converted Sims 2 pet stories so now your dogs can be trained with equipment

Sims 2 tribes - is a long challenge and needs a lot of kit and cc .. it's starts at caveman and continues to the present day - and yes, Sims 2 (with mods) can do this... toilet bushes are a lifesaver I say.
    SIMS 3:YOU’VE NEVER SEEN THE SIMS LIKE THIS BEFORE! This #1 bestselling award-winner* is better than ever on iPhone and iPod. Contains direct links to the Internet; Collects data though third party ad serving analytics technology. EA may retire online features and services after 30 days’ notice.
  • Options
    PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
    You guys have such great suggestions! I tried going back to the sims 2 a few weeks ago and I have to admit I loved it. I even lost track of time and before I could even realize it more than 4 hours had passed.

Surprisingly enough (or not) I did not miss the sims 4 when I was actually playing the game. It was so much fun! However I did miss it when trying to customize my sims (and I did download custom skins and some hairs) and shopping for clothes. I didn't remember clothes in the sims 2 being so horrible! (Perhaps fashion has evolved too since 2004) . But those are just minor issues and can be solved easily by investing some time searching for CC online. Do you have any suggestions? (I don't know if we are allowed to promote Cc here; if we aren't just forget about my question ;))
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Of course things like hair and clothes are horrible. It's been 12 years
    I just google "sims 2 hair" or "sims 2 clothes and I get a ton of content. Trapping (retired ) is the top modder if you want pretty, well crafted and modern, but then other's have run with this and taken it back to imperfect sims 2 content. (maxis match) https://simlish.dreamwidth.org/ Right now the best clothes and hair are are tumbler or simbler websites.
    There's so much content, you get dizzy trying to find something good. But Trapping sets the standard for others to follow.
    http://trappingit.livejournal.com/
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I like Nouk's hairs: http://modthesims.info/m/23182
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    StormyDayzStormyDayz Posts: 4,035 Member
    There are so many things I love about the sims 2 that it's hard to just come up with a list to post. Funny thing is, I was a die-hard sims 4 fan. Then I had some problems with sims 4 and decided to try sims 2. I played sims online, sims 1 and sims 3 but never sims 2! I got the UC free and never downloaded it. One day I decided to try it. When I started I posted for help on mod the sims because it was so different. The response was overwhelming.

I'm going to list my #1 favorite part of sims 2: whenever I think "I wish there was such and such" in this game... I do a search and darned if 9 times out of 10 someone has made it!