Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there any going back? (TS2)

PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,351 Member
Lately I have found that I’m not having as much fun with TS4 as I would expect and I’m thinking about going back to the “roots”. I have TS2 UC and I am planning to install it and give it a go, however I am afraid that I may find TS2 too “limiting” after playing TS3 and TS4. I was wondering if someone is still playing TS2 or has gone back to TS2, and if they have found this game to still be enjoyable after so much time. Any experiences? Do you really miss features such as multi-tasking or the more advanced CAS?

Just to give you a little bit of context: I don’t really care about closed worlds, or the lack of customization (there is plenty of CC out there). I really like multi-tasking, though. In any event, what I really want is my sims to be more “alive”, and if I recall things correctly, sims were way more lively in TS2. As I mentioned in another post, I have plenty of ideas and storylines planned (most of them involving lots of drama!), however most of the times my sims (in TS4) do not seem to react properly and this just breaks immersion for me (e.g. the parents divorce and their children go on about their lives as if nothing had happened). It feels as if I am fooling myself and playing pretend most of the time (e.g. making a child be mean to one of his parents after he has found them cheating) because sims do not seem to be really aware of their surroundings (except when there is a stupid emotional painting around).

Comments

• Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited January 2016
    I loved TS2 back in the day and last year I installed the whole UC so I could play and get my nostalgia fix. I got bored of the game after half an hour :/ It got to the point where I couldn't remember why I even liked that game. I had to stop playing and uninstall before I tarnished the good memories I have of TS2.

Give it a try though. Sometimes looking back can be quite amusing.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited January 2016
    If I were you I'd try and get the full version which includes every pack. I bought the sims 2 a while ago and then talked to ea online and they upgraded me for free.

I think you might really enjoy the sims 2.

Pros: It's fun and immersive. Carpools, newspapers, toddlers, pets, seasons etc. It's a completely finished game so there is lots to do. Retail is a lot of fun and you can have a home business. The sims feel so smart and alive. They have memories and great reactions to things. I remember my sim was seeing 2 men, and she broke it off with one and married the other. Well, she still had flowers from the first man and when her new husband saw those he went berserk. I thought that was fantastic. I also loved how you can shop for clothes and groceries. And you can sit down and eat at restaurants!

Cons: Sometimes the routing issues get annoying, and having no multitasking can take a bit to get used to. I personally have to have CC to play to make my sims look some-what decent.
    I find while playing the sims 2 I don't have as much control over what I do though. The sim will often look up at me annoyed and refuse to do what I want. Cute the first couple times, really aggravating the 10th time.
    Also, if you aren't fulfilling their aspiration wants they go crazy and break down which can be very frustrating. These sims really depend on you to keep them happy which can impact your game play.

• Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I still play TS2 when the mood strikes and I am never disappointed. :) It always surprises me how much of a challenge it is to keep those sims happy and alive! I have never once missed 'multi-tasking' in 2, and while I do miss CaSt - quite a lot - that never stops me from enjoying myself. Besides, there is CC for that, plenty of it! It is the experience which keeps me, the personality of the sims themselves and the tiniest details of interaction and animation which always bring a smile to my face. The sims in 2 are so lively, so real, so expressive and alive that you probably won't miss the 'multi-tasking' one little bit. You may, there is that chance, but it is worth it to give 2 another shot.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    never to me the sims2 is a boaring outdated game the sims4 is much more fun than the sims2 i much prefer the sims4 than the sims2 that is outdated
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I remember my sim was seeing 2 men, and she broke it off with one and married the other. Well, she still had flowers from the first man and when her new husband saw those he went berserk. I thought that was fantastic.

LOL Those are precisely the things I miss in TS4!! If I tried to do that now in Ts4, the new husband would not react at all to seeing those flowers (well technically there are no flowers in the game either). I would have to direct him to yell at his wife if I wanted to play that story...and then again they would be chatting happily (probably sitting on a bed) after 5 minutes
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    QDog wrote: »
    I remember my sim was seeing 2 men, and she broke it off with one and married the other. Well, she still had flowers from the first man and when her new husband saw those he went berserk. I thought that was fantastic.

LOL Those are precisely the things I miss in TS4!! If I tried to do that now in Ts4, the new husband would not react at all to seeing those flowers (well technically there are no flowers in the game either). I would have to direct him to yell at his wife if I wanted to play that story...and then again they would be chatting happily (probably sitting on a bed) after 5 minutes

Hehe. I believe I direct him to view them or read the card or something, but his reaction was hilarious. I agree the sims 4 could use some items like this. The nice touches like your date bringing you or even sending you flowers. Maybe we'll see something like this in a find love pack. :)
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    I loved The Sims 2, and still do. My only issue is, Gameplay is amazing, but a lack of variety means you keep doing the same thing over and over and it can get boring.

Eg. There's very few gameplay items compared to 3 and 4, so you often find yourself limited to what Sims have what hobbies etc. and what they do in those hobbies. I love it, but I mostly go back to enjoy building a house up from scratch etc.

Rather than play a challenge, or legacy etc.
  • Options

Hehe. I believe I direct him to view them or read the card or something, but his reaction was hilarious. I agree the sims 4 could use some items like this. The nice touches like your date bringing you or even sending you flowers. Maybe we'll see something like this in a find love pack. :)

Haha I don't mind directing my sims, of course I want to be in charge! But I want their reactions to be according to the context and the storyline I am trying to play. That is why I loved that little story :)

I am not planning to quit playing TS4 for good, and probably a find love pack with proper dates etc. would really catch my attention!!
  • Options
    WyrrenWyrren Posts: 724 Member
    I've been feeling the same about sims4. I'd go back to sims3 but my launcher doesn't work anymore so I can't install any of my store content and worlds. Makes me a bit crazy. So there's sims2.

The first few times I played it, I was like... people actually like this? Are they crazy? I just couldn't get around the multi tasking and how everything seemed so simple to me. But I've been trying to play it more over the last few weeks, and I've changed my mind. I actually do like it! It's a challenge. And I like playing young families just starting out, which includes TODDLERS. Not full grown kids. And I like the smaller bodied teens. More realistic. I've just now started looking around at CC to make my sims look better, and I really can't wait to try it out. The building tools though aren't that great. Sadly, I will only build with 4, so I use the pre-made houses in 2. Maybe change them around a little but never build from scratch.

So yeah, give sims2 a try! I still play sims4 when the desire takes me there, but now I just play 2 also. =)
    Origin ID: Wyrren
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited January 2016
    TS2 is very limiting when it comes to the world or neighborhood, but the gameplay is more complex than TS3 and TS4 together, there are just too many details that are not in recent games unfortunately. :/
    I play TS2 since 2008, and i feel like i didn't even explored 20% of what the game has in it.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    skm36skm36 Posts: 2,754 Member
    I still play sims 2 every so often. I love the quirky things they do. I love how they react to different things. I love how siblings don't always get along and will get into a fight. I love watching my sim kid running into the house to show mom or dad their good grade. I do miss having an open world like in 3 and I'm not fond of the time not being the same when traveling to different lots. But, there are so many details with the sims and how they react to everything. It's still a fun game to play in my opinion.
    j7zqrt.jpg
  • Options
    Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    I play both, but Sims 2 brings out my creative side. Sims is much better if you have all the expansions, some cc and mods.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experience! Now I am really looking forward to the weekend so I can install my copy of TS2 UC, download some CC and mods and start playing! I already have some stories planned in my head!!
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited January 2016
    I love playing Sims 2 and I still do but with breaks in between, mainly because I try to load way too much CC, so my game tend to break :p
    But enjoyment wise, no other game beats Sims2 IMO. I just wish I could have a better CAS and play the game in HD and with 64bit and I'd be set.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I love 2! I do play it whenever I don't feel like booting up 4 or miss my sims 2 family, so I say go for it. :) I think it's a pretty good game, and I still enjoy it so it paid homage to my memories from the first time I've played it when I was young.
    The only thing that breaks the immersion for me is how families don't age with you, but otherwise I love it the same :) I especially love the bouts of sobbing when their meter is low, or finding my sims running to the street to beg for money LOL. I think it's a bit tough without multitasking, but it's not impossible. There are mods to make things the way you'd like (I personally use that one mod that silences all the "hey we haven't been talking for a while" messages that I get bombarded with). The little glitches in game make my day, as well.

5429453ec46061212942f1156eba3b81.png

So yeah, try it out. :)
  • Options
    Soulcloud6Soulcloud6 Posts: 267 Member
    The lack of story progression kills sims 2 for me....
    Otherwise I would play it over Sims 4 any day.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I hate TS2 graphics a bit btw, it's a bit too colorless sometimes, so i use this mod, it improves lighting a lot:

MTS_dDefinder-776985-INDOOR.gif
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=290746
    I love that mod. There's definetly a improvement. Mainly because it adds Morning and Evening lighting.

Also if you play in Win8 or 10 you should download the shadow fix:
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=569585
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    XopaxPax wrote: »
    I hate TS2 graphics a bit btw, it's a bit too colorless sometimes, so i use this mod, it improves lighting a lot:

I love that mod. There's definetly a improvement. Mainly because it adds Morning and Evening lighting.

Wow that looks great! I will definitely download that mod! Many thanks for sharing! :)
  • Options

Wow that looks great! I will definitely download that mod! Many thanks for sharing! :)

You are welcome. Make sure you read the page in the link, the installation is a bit different since you are not supposed to put it in the Downloads folder.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @XopaxPax wrote: »
    TS2 is very limiting when it comes to the world or neighborhood, but the gameplay is more complex than TS3 and TS4 together, there are just too many details that are not in recent games unfortunately. :/
    I play TS2 since 2008, and i feel like i didn't even explored 20% of what the game has in it.

Really? I've been pretty much been able to explore the gameplay of the base game within a few weeks, and each pack just a day or two.
    The Sims 4 had more gameplay to explore, personally.

The Sims 3 is king in terms of heaps of gameplay (considering the Store) however I haven't bought store sets for the Sims 3 because they are not worth the price. I will wait for The Sims 3 store to close, and they are no longer available for sale, which is when I'll download them.
    I remember when The Sims 2 store closed, and EA said they were happy for you to download the content for free, and happy for others to upload them for people who missed out. I'm guessing the Sims 3 store will work the same way.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited January 2016

I use that mod, too. As well as a few others, like one which replaces the default grass and of course sim cc.

snapshot_21ceda82_01dbbd0a_zpstzi9wgwq.jpg

snapshot_21ceda82_e25a603a_zpsghjnoje9.jpg
    snapshot_21ceda82_425a6063_zpsb5djhf2y.jpg
    snapshot_21ceda82_c1da0ea7_zpss30sqdrd.jpg
    Post edited by Jessa_Dakkar on
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited January 2016
    I love the sims 2 and playing it from time to time, but there are things that I don't like about it, Sims 4 spoiled me in these areas:

1- Lack of multitasking
    2- the better graphics in TS4
    3- Ease of CAS in TS4
    4- Sims not gaining skill points in community lot
    5- Sims not being able to visit their neighbors

Things that TS2 is still superior than TS4:
    1- Toddlers
    2- The retail system is awesome while TS4's retail is bad
    3- Family Tree is more solid in TS2
    4- No culling horror stories in TS2
    5- Sims 2 right now has the advantage of more packs like apartments, seasons, pets. Once we get these in TS4 I am hoping the game will be much better. Get Together has already made my game a lot more fun so I am hoping future EPs will do the same. I just hope GTW will be the worst EP and that no future EP will be worse than it.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Lately I have found that I’m not having as much fun with TS4 as I would expect and I’m thinking about going back to the “roots”. I have TS2 UC and I am planning to install it and give it a go, however I am afraid that I may find TS2 too “limiting” after playing TS3 and TS4. I was wondering if someone is still playing TS2 or has gone back to TS2, and if they have found this game to still be enjoyable after so much time. Any experiences? Do you really miss features such as multi-tasking or the more advanced CAS?

Just to give you a little bit of context: I don’t really care about closed worlds, or the lack of customization (there is plenty of CC out there). I really like multi-tasking, though. In any event, what I really want is my sims to be more “alive”, and if I recall things correctly, sims were way more lively in TS2. As I mentioned in another post, I have plenty of ideas and storylines planned (most of them involving lots of drama!), however most of the times my sims (in TS4) do not seem to react properly and this just breaks immersion for me (e.g. the parents divorce and their children go on about their lives as if nothing had happened). It feels as if I am fooling myself and playing pretend most of the time (e.g. making a child be mean to one of his parents after he has found them cheating) because sims do not seem to be really aware of their surroundings (except when there is a stupid emotional painting around).

I still play the sims 2, I play every day if I can and if I've only got time for one game? As much as I love the sims 4, there's no contest.
    I love being able to play one family, switch to another and come back and nothing has changed. Pregnant sims are still pregnant and they are all where I left them and not standing outside their house at silly o clock, I'm a writer and I find storytelling the best in 2! (It's not bad in 4 but not as good as 2) I like playing generations and filling the neighbourhood. The game now recognises my graphics card and it looks amazing which helps,
  • Options
    stapeliadstapeliad Posts: 117 Member
    TS2 is so wonderfully quirky it's worth firing it up now and then just for that. I love that squeaky sound the male sims make when they are upset- cracks me up every time. When I sim I usually go for TS3, but TS2 is just wonderful. It is fun to explore things I never did before TS3. It is different enough that it stands on its own. Great game.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    @halimali1980 There are mods that lets your sims gain skilling on community lots. Numenor (Modthesims) has one aswell as Pescado. :smile:

Personally I could probably live with the current cas and other failings of the game, if it was 64bit. Honestly, it would be my dream if it was.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---