Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

From Sim culling to Relationships culling!! What is going on EA?

Comments

• Options
    xhellocoldworldxhellocoldworld Posts: 264 Member
    edited December 2015
    On a related note, my married sims are coming up with whims to "get engaged" or "marry" their spouses. I hadn't played since July, then started again with Get Together, and that's when I noticed the problem. Not sure if it's from an update patch or from the new expansion pack. It's a bit annoying.
    This. This has happened to me too! Sometimes even in the romance section of the conversation menu, my sims get the option to propose. I'm like, excuse me, they already ARE married! :angry:

Also with what others are saying in this thread about having to reintroduce your sims to people has happened to me too, intermittently but it still does. These culling issues are ridiculous.

"The softest echo could be enough for me to make it through."
    ♥♥♥
    sims-traits.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    0Chloe wrote: »
    Is this only happening to rotational players or is it also happening to single-play players? I'm really worried now.

If you never change households or switch during the day and switch back before the day ends, it will not affect you. The relationship culling never happens to the currently played household and only happens overnight.

That said, Sims you assumed know each other in the rest of your game might not actually. What I found is that very few of my not-current-household Sims knew anyone but their immediate family and some random friends and sweethearts and dislikes that the game had assigned them. They did not know their coworkers or the members of the clubs I had set them up in. I can only assume that even if they meet each other in my club or at my party etc., the next day they no might no longer know each other.

At the same time, @Ceres_Meiriona has been testing how long genealogy holds in her game and it's a lot longer. I can only conclude that all this acquaintance-culling is in the interest of preserving genealogy.
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Why should I care if NPCs aren't allowed more than 20 NPC friends? How does this affect my played Sims? And the points you listed said NPCs not Played Sims relationships.

Am I confused? ETA: Second part, if NPC I play has more than 20 NPC relationships they get culled. Why would I care? because I am playing them right? and I would be choosing and probably not let them get involved with that many townies (non played) anyway. Right?

The relationship culling happens to all non-active households, not non-played households. If you play rotationally, it will affect your played Sims. I also saw no evidence in my testing that the game waits for there to be 20 relationships before it culls them, and it culls to a level that leaves room for new ones in its cap.
    DeKay wrote: »
    I doubt this is an intended feature. There's a thread about it in the bugs section.

Yeah, because it was assumed by players to be a bug. The coding @Neia found suggests otherwise.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Reading these posts is so entertaining -- as others have said, just when you think the game can't get any worse or buggier, it does!
  • Options
    applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Ayumap wrote: »
    I really, really don't want to have to rely on mods. I'm not against mods, but I don't want to NEED them.

This is how I feel too. In the beginning I had so many issues with this game and people would tell me "just use mods"... I hated that. I never wanted to use script mods because the game is unfinished and these mods can go unsupported and cause issues (loss of game play elements) when you have to remove them, temporarily or permanently.. I don't like that.

Sadly I think that's just the way things are going to continue to be. There are going to be things we want or dislike and we'll have to rely on our mods. I'm really grateful for the modding community because I could not play (personally) without the mods I have.

You're right. It's going to continue. Why should it change now?
    Very sad it's "developed" to this degree.
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited December 2015
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I have no problems with mods that enhance the play, but why should players depend on third parties to fix the game when it should be EA/Maxis fixing their own game. Same thing was happening with SimCity 2013, people was waiting for the modders for their fixes.

This new relationship culling is a "feature", not a bug. True, it seems to be a bit buggy and hopefully they will work on it, but maybe in general it's the best they can do with what they've got to work with. The game apparently can't handle so many sims and relationships, so to keep it functioning to the level they've targeted for low end PCs this is what they came up with.

When you just flat out don't like certain game design decisions, to the point where you don't even want to play any more, there might be no other choice than to use a mod that changes it.
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    Invader_SimInvader_Sim Posts: 19 New Member
    Wait, that's a feature and not a bug? Well then the TS4 era might be over for me. I haven't touched the game in days because of that, it's unplayable to me now. My play style relied on having all of my sims (I play rotational) to keep their relationships. It's a shame, because I love the game, but I can't play it anymore because of this.
  • Options
    Wait, that's a feature and not a bug? Well then the TS4 era might be over for me. I haven't touched the game in days because of that, it's unplayable to me now. My play style relied on having all of my sims (I play rotational) to keep their relationships. It's a shame, because I love the game, but I can't play it anymore because of this.

If you're open to modding, there are two different options currently, both on Mod the Sims:
    the simple option: Neia's No Relationship Culling
    the complex option: Deaderpool's MC Command Center
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

If you're open to modding, there are two different options currently, both on Mod the Sims:
    the simple option: Neia's No Relationship Culling
    the complex option: Deaderpool's MC Command Center

Yeah, feel free to ask if you want to install either of those - be happy to walk you through it.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    What concerns me is what happens to our games when we have to/if we have to - remove these mods?
  • Options
    What concerns me is what happens to our games when we have to/if we have to - remove these mods?

If you remove the mods the game reverts to vanilla and your sims will get a neurological condition.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Reading these posts is so entertaining -- as others have said, just when you think the game can't get any worse or buggier, it does!

If you want to relish in others misery, I guess.
  • Options
    Ha ha. Neurological condition where they sit on the pot thinking about the Sims they have forgotten?
  • Options
    Ha ha. Neurological condition where they sit on the pot thinking about the Sims they have forgotten?

Yes, known to the local sim doctors as 'Groundhog Day Syndrome'
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    Tbh I'd never load my save without the mods enabled, pretty sure I'd be missing a lot of culled (deleted) sims, never mind the relationship panel, lol.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options

Personally? I've got Origin set to not update my game automatically. That way I get a clearer heads-up that it wants to. Then I stop playing for a while, or start a new save and do something else with it if I can't make myself stop playing. And I have it in my head that if it really came to it, I'd at least learn enough to take over what @Neia has done and keep it working if she decided not to maintain it anymore.
  • Options

I never heard it put more politely. :smiley: I won't expound further... or they will close the thread.
  • Options
    Invader_SimInvader_Sim Posts: 19 New Member
    @luthienrising Thanks, I'll consider those. Hopefully Neia's mod will stay supported as patches and updates tend to break mods and set us back to square one.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I never heard it put more politely. :smiley: I won't expound further... or they will close the thread.

I think I may have it :scream:
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I have no problems with mods that enhance the play, but why should players depend on third parties to fix the game when it should be EA/Maxis fixing their own game. Same thing was happening with SimCity 2013, people was waiting for the modders for their fixes.

This new relationship culling is a "feature", not a bug. True, it seems to be a bit buggy and hopefully they will work on it, but maybe in general it's the best they can do with what they've got to work with. The game apparently can't handle so many sims and relationships, so to keep it functioning to the level they've targeted for low end PCs this is what they came up with.

When you just flat out don't like certain game design decisions, to the point where you don't even want to play any more, there might be no other choice than to use a mod that changes it.

I'm all for inclusiveness, but there comes a point where it is up the player to make sure they can meet the system requirements of a game that they want to play. That is assuming that this brutal nerf is related to performance.

I can't lay my hands on any references, but someone mentioned in a thread that there was some dynamic performance tuning going on as well that was introduced with the patch, so if the game thinks your machine hasn't got the grunt, then certain things are toned down - I think the number of sims allowed on a lot was one of them. Someone else may know more.

Personally, I would like these in some kind of options, so I can do my own tweaking.

Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    It's really annoying. I've started to rely on cheats to create the relationships I want. The game cheats so why shouldn't I? I still don't wish to be doing this all the time...
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    It is a shame because I had actually heard positive things about GT from some players but this itself is another set back.

Culling wouldn't work for me in TS3, I have around 500 Sims in one save including NPCs so any limit would be a serious no for me.

But as for relationship culling, what is the actual purpose? I mean, if Sim culling is 'for performance' then what is the benefit of relationships being culled. If the game had no issues with relationships before then why now?

Just another kick in the teeth really isn't it?

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    It is a shame because I had actually heard positive things about GT from some players but this itself is another set back.

Culling wouldn't work for me in TS3, I have around 500 Sims in one save including NPCs so any limit would be a serious no for me.

But as for relationship culling, what is the actual purpose? I mean, if Sim culling is 'for performance' then what is the benefit of relationships being culled. If the game had no issues with relationships before then why now?

My guess? It's to preserve more genealogy in single-household games.

I'd be less unhappy with it if they'd just put this in the patch notes. Then I'd have known I needed to mod it out. Or give me a choice: do I want genealogy or relationship preservation outside the active household?
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited December 2015

I'd assume it's for performance improvement as well, similar to how having items in a sims inventory can increase load times. I'm guessing though idk for sure. I don't think this method should be "forced" on players though. We should really be able to pick and choose in the settings how we want the game to run with a recommended/default status that can be adjusted. This game is great for rotational play, but they keep doing things that (imo) hurt the rotational player.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    Here I was just about to open Sims 4 to play after being lost in the wasteland for over a month...and just like that, I'm over it :(. I don't play rotational as much but all these culling things are severely off-putting. I don't want to use mods in Sims 4. I had several in Sims 3 because without them the game was a slow, lumbering snorlax of a beast that barely ran. I was really hoping gamebreaking issues would be resolved by now. I stopped playing for a long time before because my sim died and I was afraid her ghost would be culled if I let her generations go on too long and the solution they gave just didn't do it for me.
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • Options

I am still very positive about GT. I think it's brilliant and has absolutely taken my game to another level.

Relationship culling was introduced in the patch and it seems to me an utterly bizarre decision. I am sure they have their reasons, but isn't relationships the whole point of the game, familial or otherwise?

I'm OK now because I am utterly comfortable with modding a game, but many aren't and so they are left with the choice of single sim play and staying in a family and only being able to have wham-bam thank you, maam relationships outside the home if they want to remember them 24 hours later.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    So that's what this is. I was wondering why my sims keep losing friends ( and even those in their groups) Glad the group keeps them together to make it easier to reintroduce them, but how can they all get to very good friends if the game keeps resetting them and making them not know each other.