Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stormwind and Elwynn Forest: latest update 13 July 16

Comments

• Options
    StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    Hi flstrider.
    I haven't played WoW in years, but I love it's aesthetic.
    Since your not building for a MMORPG, you'll be able to include more detail in your world.
    I find real world references are an essential resource/inspiration for all my building.
    Google is your friend :)
    Architecture & city planning I find endlessly fascinating, with an anthropologist, architect, civil engineer & city planner in my immediate family, I come by it honestly.
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
  • Options
    flstriderflstrider Posts: 1,912 Member
    @Gaxili1 Thank you so much! I have always wanted to work on a WoW world

@StellaToronto I thank you for your kind words! In all of my other worlds so far (except Maxis) I have really just "Shot from the hip" never thinking about architecture or city planning but this is going to be a project that will definitely require these very much. Another reason why getting help is such a good thing...lol
    My World's thread linked in Sig
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    HogwartsWitchHogwartsWitch Posts: 101 Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi strider! My Nightelf Teldrassil world is road less I just painted the trails on with the paint tool so my sims will run everywhere or ride if they have a horse but I have Subways to act as the flight paths like in game so they get to the far end of the map quicker and then I just put trees and shrubs around it to hide it from view so its not out of theme just a thought if you wanted to go that way too and your doing a great job keep at it! I would love to see your world when its done! Also quick question do you know if I would be able to download your world and then using CAW edit it to change it to a vacation world so that I could have my night elfs visit it and replace it as one of the 3 default WA counties?
    Current Packs I own which isn't much...

Get To Work
    Outdoor Retreat
    Holiday Celebration
    Laundry Day Stuff
    Bowling Stuff
    Vintage Glamor Stuff
    Cool Kitchen Stuff
  • Options
    @HogwartsWitch I am not real sure how to go about making this a vacation world. I know there are tutorials available on that subject in the CAW FAQ's thread at the top of this forum so you may want to check there for help answering your question.

So I decided to not worry too much about exactness in building this world, even thought I do tend to sweat the details too much...lol. I have laid out the Cathedral Square area and set the canals in place (almost all) and here is what I have come up with so far......

CAW screenshot:
    CathedralSquare.png

The lots running on the perimeter are all 30x20's this may change as the build continues......
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    MiyamaniacMiyamaniac Posts: 67 Member
    This is really beautiful! I haven't played WoW, but it looks really pretty!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Miyamaniac Thank you it is a huge challenge and I appreciate you comments!

This world is more difficult than I thought it would be but I am not giving up! I wanted to put together the Cathedral to get a better idea of the section and here is what I came up with......

From the game
    WoWScrnShot_120912_121016.jpg

and my WIP so far
    Screenshot-9.jpg

This is just a shell for now and I am sure it will change a bit, the details will come later as I work more on the rest of "Cathedral Square"
    Post edited by flstrider on
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    Well it funny how you look at a picture, know something is not right, then as you are flying around in Stormwind you see what you were missing. Here is the updated pics of the Cathedral, still in shell form, but I think I have it looking a little closer to the inspiration pic......

Screenshot-10.jpg
    Screenshot-11.jpg
    Screenshot-12.jpg

More to follow........
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    just added a couple more things to the cathedral thought I would share

game pic
    WoWScrnShot_121015_222724.jpg

update
    Screenshot-15_3.jpg

more to follow.....
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    Gaxili1Gaxili1 Posts: 212 Member
    It's all looking brilliant!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Gaxili1 Thank you so much! it is a challenge but I am really enjoying this one.

Just thought I would share a terrain paint test for the brick "roadways" and get some feedback on this........

Game shot
    WoWScrnShot_052615_161613.jpg

Terrain Paint test
    terrainpaint1.png

I will probably lighten some of the brick but not sure if this is going to be the main "roadway" through the city, just trying something a bit different. More as the build progresses.......
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Looking good FlstRider - and looks like tons of hard work. Hats off to you for sure.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    It looks like you did a good job, looks smudgy and a bit worn like its been around for awhile. I'm in awe of your patience with CAW. I'm taking a break for a bit as EIG started giving me fits and I need to figure out @Rflong7's fix for adding the lots with store stuff. Kinda busy with hubby and MD appts so will try again in a week or so when I hope I can concentrate on her thread.
  • Options
    ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    Another awesome looking world. I played WOW briefly, but never got into it. It would be great fun to make characters for.
  • Options
    DolphineQDolphineQ Posts: 1,799 Member
    edited December 2015
    @flstrider - you baffle me!
    I absolutely LOVE what you have done with Stormwind and I will be first in line to playtest (if you need helping hands with that) it when the time comes.
    I've played WoW since the beginning and there's two places I always wanted to see in my Sims game. Stormwind and 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Bay. It looks like you and your talent are able to make my dreams come true!
    Thank you so much for doing this. I don't care how long it'll take, I have no doubt this world will be worth waiting for.
    Bookmarking for future updates :).

PS: As far as the terrainpainting goes, I'm also on the A team. Looks amazing!
    Please share and support me in my work with rescue cats! https://www.gofundme.com/DolphineQCats

2rgmmvq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Writin_Reg @bekkasan @Clayworld - Thank you all for your comments I always appreciate your kind words!

@DolphineQ Baffle you? How is that? I hope in a good way!

So not doing to much on Stormwind as I want to get back to Eagle Harbor but I did want to check out a terrain paint for the harbor area. No it is not the nice bright brick used in WoW and since I am using the dark walls anyway I did want to try to get a matching paint, here is what I have so far......

Screenshot-14.jpg
    Screenshot-17.jpg
    Screenshot-16.jpg

Again this is just a test so this may change. More as the build continues.....
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    OK, Not really happy with the dark stone paving, so I took that out and started working with the water planes for the canals and tried a new stone paving, here is what I have so far (the water planes are going to be tricky)......

Screenshot-20.jpg
    Screenshot-21.jpg
    Screenshot-18_1.jpg
    Screenshot-19.jpg

I know there is CC stone retaining walls that I could use but I am trying to avoid all 3rd party CC. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated!!!
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    MiyamaniacMiyamaniac Posts: 67 Member
    I love following this project! Can't wait for your next update :-)
  • Options
    @Miyamaniac Thanks!

Just got finished cutting down the lot size for the Cathedral and reworked a few lots around it. The Progress......

Screenshot-22.jpg
    Screenshot-23.jpg
    Screenshot-24.jpg

Just a shell and still need to work on the recolor for the towers but this should be the "final" version of the Cathedral. Looking forward to your comments and suggestions......
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    Shadecaster101Shadecaster101 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Looks awesome! This world is super cool. I can't wait to see what it develops into.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Shadecaster101 Thank you I am having fun with this challenging world!

So this morning while finishing up the exterior of the Cathedral of Light I started to think about incorporating a roadway into this world (yes cars will take away the feel of the city), but being a larger world I thought how could it be done. I made a copy of the world and used the copy to rework it with roads added.

First the exterior of the cathedral......

Screenshot-25.jpg
    Screenshot-26.jpg
    Screenshot-27.jpg
    Screenshot-28.jpg

And the reworked world with some roads added......
    Screenshot-32.jpg
    Screenshot-33.jpg
    Screenshot-34.jpg

The roadway, for those familiar with Stormwind, Will be the canal roads and all of the roads in the trade district through the front gate and out into Elwynn Forest (Shown in red).....
    Stormwind_Roads.jpg

No roads will go into the other districts. Oh this will be a Pre Cata world so the Park will be included instead of the destroyed area. Let me know what you think, still not sure if I am going to add the roads or not. More as the world develops......
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    Stormwindphoto.png
    Say hello to the Stormwind Photo Team, Now listed in Post 3

(yeah ok so having some fun here...LOL)
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    @StellaToronto I have a question for you, I know you are busy with your world (which is awesome by the way!) but if I put together an area with just a general shape of the walls and such could you build me a medieval looking area? I have tried for the past few days and cannot copy that style of build. Here are some of the examples I am working with:

This one is very close to Stormwind
    Medieval%20Town.jpg

And a couple of others:
    59dc813519f7efce13c9594be783765d.jpg
    medieval-town-square-fairy-fantasies.jpg

If anyone else would like to help that would be awesome. I have no luck building these type of lots at all! Thanks!!!
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    Thought I would update the "road" version of Stormwind, I will be using this version to rework the road less world as well I like the way this is going. The dark area's in the pic is what will become the canals......

Overview1.jpg

Once I get all the districts placed I will work on the terrain painting and sculpting as it will give me a better idea of how the rest of Elwynn Forest will be laid out. If there is enough room I may try to add Westfall and possibly Duskwood as well. More as the build continues......
    NewSig.jpg

• Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I like how the roads and canals are placed and seeing the connections showing between the areas on the map is pretty cool!

If @StellaToronto is not able to do it, I would be willing to give it a shot. I'm not real experienced with that style, but I like a challenge and need one to take my mind off OE stuff. I'm still on a break from my world too so have time to try.
  • Options
    ClayworldClayworld Posts: 1,106 Member
    Are these the type of lots you are looking for? I built these quite a while ago for Castle Keep. If you want, take them and adapt them however you would like. I'm not sure my current gaming system will work well for building, giant screen, across the room. If I get my desktop updated, that might make it possible. I built them all with only World Adventures, maybe Ambitions. Ladders and spiral staircases would help maximize the space.

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2304843
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2589331
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2519481
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2415083
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2415081
    http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=2311670