Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you guys think of this whole common core thing?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited November 2015
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    See, I tend to do the rounding thing in my head, like Tia. Makes it easier to add up with all the odd singles on the final number. Either that or adding columns (if using a piece of paper) and carrying over the tens/hundreds etc.

But why do all that extra work? For columns I do this.

24+56+36+78=194

24+56=80
    80+36=116
    116+78=194
    Post edited by DragonAge_300905 on
  • Options
    KandyKandy Posts: 2,008 Member
    For me, we were given a certain way to solve the problem. Didn't like it? Too bad. Then you typically had to explain your answer, and everything you did. I can understand that if you let kids work it out their own way, but making everyone solve it one way then explain it is plum.

Common core was, to my knowledge, implemented so that kids would understand their answer and the problem better by explaining it. However, for some reason kids (at least in my area) are being forced to learn how to solve those problems one way, and one way only. So pretty much, I agree with many of you. Penalizing a kid for solving a problem differently from his/her peers is unfair an just kind of plum :confused:
  • Options
    KafonixKafonix Posts: 75 Member
    This is incredibly idiotic. The current way works far better and less childish. We don't need no cheesy images to learn math.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I'm horrible at math! All it did was make me cry! :bawling:
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    It's not happen to me yet...

Although, I've seen online that a kid lost a point in a test because they did this:

3x6=

6+6+6

Instead of

3+3+3+3+3+3

That's just an example, not the actual question by the way.

But they get the same answer, so why are they complaining?
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    br560 wrote: »

Although, I've seen online that a kid lost a point in a test because they did this:

3x6=

6+6+6

Instead of

3+3+3+3+3+3

Because he thought for himself too much and teachers don't like that. :p
  • Options
    DarkSuperNinjaDarkSuperNinja Posts: 1,204 Member
    Just searched it (also from the UK) and it's the most stupid thing I've ever seen! I ALWAYS work stuff out weirdly for Maths, but 99% of the time get the answer right anyway! Imo, this just looks like laziness on the government's and marker's part; they won't need to check the working out, they just have to compare it.

Either way, it's just making kids lose their initiative. They can't work out questions using their own logic and thinking, they have to do it the way that's been carpeted out for them! Ironically, the entire Common Core thing completely contradicts my Maths teacher, who tells our class to think outside of the box, and work out questions using logic and reason, not just by remembering a specific method...
  • Options
    Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited November 2015
    fyo320.jpg
    Here's the nonsense in all it's fail.

Actually, that is the way I add numbers in my head. It makes about a million times more sense than "add this column and carry the one" 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and I can do it in seconds. To me, it's a trick; a shortcut, and they would have flunked me if I had used it in school. I love math tricks; they make things much easier.

From the little I can read of this, however, it looks as though the first couple of paragraphs of "explanation" would confuse me so much I would give up without even trying.

I watched my nephew struggle with the concept of multiplying and dividing by ten when all he needed to was move a decimal point or count zeros. In everyday life I watch people struggle to figure out how to tip 15% and am appalled. Ten percent? Move the decimal point. Five percent? Cut that ten percent in half. Now add them together. 5+10 = 15. They can't even understand how to get 10% in the first place.

HOWEVER, I think it is beyond stupid to force kids to learn some arbitrary method and fail them if they do not use that method every time. If they LEARN how to THINK and are able to figure out the concept and arrive at the answer, what difference can it possibly make how they got there? If they can show their work and prove it, then how can you penalize them? They KNOW it. They got it right. Stupid school systems. They've been getting it all wrong since I was kid, too. They don't want to teach kids to think; they want to force kids to mimic what they are shown and spit it back on a test.

I learned more about basic arithmetic after I was grown up and discovered that there were "tricks" to math than I ever did in all my years of school.
    Post edited by Sue_D_Nim on
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Come to think of it, I also make one of the addends a round number when computing in my head. But the way it was explained is bad, and if a student finds another method easier, it should be okay.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member

3x6=

6+6+6

Instead of

3+3+3+3+3+3

My teacher taught me to do it either way, as they're both the same.

I mean, whatever you find easiest is the best method.
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • Options
    Shadoza2Shadoza2 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Hansku wrote: »
    fyo320.jpg
    Here's the nonsense in all it's fail.
    That looks confusing.
    We were never taught a method like that and I have never seen anyone using this.
    No idea what this "common core" thing was.

The approach is strange, but the actual process is the same as was done is school decades passing. We used to call it barrowing to round to tens. (26 + 17 = 43) They process barrows 4 units from 17 to make 26 a "ten" number 30. Then they add the balance of the 17 (which is 13) to the 30. So instead of the child having to recall that 6 + 7 = 13 and carry the one ten over, they just do simple "sight" math. It is considered better because it is based on logic skills and the idea is that the older a child gets the easier it will be to apply the learned logic skill to other math problems.

What the grade schools call algebra now, we once called finding the missing number(s)
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member

3x6=

6+6+6

Instead of

3+3+3+3+3+3

I think I'd do it the same as the kid.

3 x 6 = 6 + 6 + 6

is the same as

3y = y + y + y
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Just searched it (also from the UK) and it's the most stupid thing I've ever seen! I ALWAYS work stuff out weirdly for Maths, but 99% of the time get the answer right anyway! Imo, this just looks like laziness on the government's and marker's part; they won't need to check the working out, they just have to compare it.

Either way, it's just making kids lose their initiative. They can't work out questions using their own logic and thinking, they have to do it the way that's been carpeted out for them! Ironically, the entire Common Core thing completely contradicts my Maths teacher, who tells our class to think outside of the box, and work out questions using logic and reason, not just by remembering a specific method...

It's because schools are nothing but "exam factories" now, spitting out compliant little workers for big business, who don't think for themselves or question how things are done...
  • Options
    LazerRay3LazerRay3 Posts: 312 Member
    I didn't have to read much in this thread to see that Common Core is just going to be an epic fail, just like "New Math" (that was before my time, but my father has mentioned it).

Instead of teaching kids to think for them self, they are being taught to be mindless drones, and this is just wrong in my point of view.

There is no reason to force a single method on something this simple, its like mowing a lawn or sweeping a floor, you do them the most efficient way possible (Yes, I'm using those as examples since I had people try to force their methods onto me about them, I fought it and won out).
  • Options
    thankucatgodthankucatgod Posts: 398 Member
    LazerRay3 wrote: »
    There is no reason to force a single method on something this simple, its like mowing a lawn or sweeping a floor, you do them the most efficient way possible (Yes, I'm using those as examples since I had people try to force their methods onto me about them, I fought it and won out).

Ugh, the sweeping thing. I've ALWAYS held the broom "weird" (my cousin does too, we're both left handed so I think that could be why) and my parents, grandparents, aunt, etc. Always give me a hard time about it. The way I see it, as long as the dust and dirt makes it to the trash can, it doesn't matter.