Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

-: ATTN - if your game won't start, READ HERE :-

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    tamalinn wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora, I am so impressed by how to managed to figure all of this stuff out.

It's not me, @tmethei was the first to post the workaround. I just collected information and asked people to try out different things. I suggested adding in the reference to the newer CPUs but only because it seemed logical as the sticking point was on Macs with the Broadwell processors.

You have too much faith in me ;)

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    AshpeefAshpeef Posts: 173 Member
    [...] I just collected information and asked people to try out different things. I suggested adding in the reference to the newer CPUs but only because it seemed logical as the sticking point was on Macs with the Broadwell processors. [...]

Well, the parts of the quote I Italicised almost define 'managing'. And that in the good way!
  • Options
    AllyssaGardAllyssaGard Posts: 2 New Member
    edited November 2015
    @BluebellFlora
    I was wondering if you knew where the GraphicsCard.sgr is? I was looking around my Mac for it, but couldn't seem to find it..
  • Options
    AllyssaGardAllyssaGard Posts: 2 New Member
    edited November 2015
    Where is the GraphicsCard.sgr?
  • Options
    @AllyssaGard

Applications > The Sims 3, right click on The Sims 3 base game and select Show Package Contents. Navigate to Contents > Resources > transgaming > c_drive > Program Files > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > Game > Bin
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    PerfectWithFlawsPerfectWithFlaws Posts: 6 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > RK_13 wrote: »
    >
    > So other people who have EP's can't get their game to work either?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Some yes but not all. There are 4 groups of people with the affected Macs -
    > * Those whose game doesn't work at all, not even the base game
    > * Those whose base game works but breaks as soon as one or more EPs are added
    > * Those who can't get their games to work after editing the graphics files
    > * Those who can get their games to work after editing the graphics files
    >
    >
    > The only common denominator is that they are all Retina MacBook Pros or 2015 model MacBook Airs with Intel Iris, Intel Iris Pro or Intel HD 6000 graphics.

It's True - I edited my files but now I can't even open the launcher to start the game.
  • Options
    @PerfectWithFlaws

At the moment there is no other fix. Some are managing to get it to work, others aren't unfortunately.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    OliviaMorriceOliviaMorrice Posts: 1 New Member
    Has anyone actually gotten it to work on:

Macbook air (early 2015)
    1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

I'm not sure if it's worth even trying :disappointed: :
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    It's always worth trying to get your game to work.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    xxthemagicxxxxthemagicxx Posts: 1 New Member
    I have an early 2015 13" Macbook Air and have not been able to get TS3 to run at all. I have no packs installed either. I have also tried all variable options above with no luck! I'm willing to keep trying things if there are suggestions! Thanks!
  • Options
    tandagtekintandagtekin Posts: 4 New Member
    @BluebellFlora

Hello, I have the same problem as @wendyp7 , I saw your article and her problem was exactly the same as mine. I was following the steps that she followed while resolving her problem, but I'm stuck at somewhere. I can't find " elseif (match("${cardName}", "*IvyBridge*")) ", could you tell me if it's at top, middle or bottom and send a screenshot of it's place (so that I can see with which lines it's between so that I can recognise it when I see those lines). And I have one last question, after this process I think of installing some packs. If I solve this problem with the base sims 3, will there be any problem with packs?
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora

Hello, I have the same problem as @wendyp7 , I saw your article and her problem was exactly the same as mine. I was following the steps that she followed while resolving her problem, but I'm stuck at somewhere. I can't find " elseif (match("${cardName}", "*IvyBridge*")) ", could you tell me if it's at top, middle or bottom and send a screenshot of it's place (so that I can see with which lines it's between so that I can recognise it when I see those lines). And I have one last question, after this process I think of installing some packs. If I solve this problem with the base sims 3, will there be any problem with packs?

With the file open just hit CTRL and F to bring up the search bar and type in IvyBridge. You can always add it manually, just make sure it's under the Intel section.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @BluebellFlora

Thank you so much I solved my problem, but when I closed the game and re-opened it. It stucked on the launch screen again... I looked if my settings have been changed (GraphicsCard.sgr etc.) but they were the same. What should I do now?
    Post edited by tandagtekin on
  • Options
    Thank you so much I solved my problem, but when I closed the game and re-opened it. It stucked on the launch screen again... I looked if my settings have been changed (GraphicsCard.sgr etc.) but they were the same. What should I do now?

Oh no really? Did you install any EPs or do you still have the base game only installed? I forgot to mention that in my last post, sorry. Some EPs do seem to screw up the files again but I mention on my web page that those files should be checked too. Not enough people have been forthcoming about which EPs they can play with and which ones they can't unfortunately.

Did you change any in game graphics options when you managed to load it?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora

I did not install any EPs or changed anything, I guess it should ask the product code but it doesn't
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    @BluebellFlora

So I checked my settings and everything and I've seen that nothing had changed. I suppose it only works for the first launch?
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    @BluebellFlora

By the way, I was just reading an article about bypassing the launcher (which you've written something as well). I'm going to apply those steps but there's something that I didn't understand. It says;

"locate the line CedegaGameName about ⅔ down"

how do I locate a line 2/3 down. How is that possible?

About two-thirds of the way down the info.plist file is the line that you're looking for. To find a line two-thirds of the way through a file, open the info.plist file in TextEdit, in your mind estimate what would be two-thirds of the way to the bottom of the file, and find that line. Then edit it.
  • Options
    MadMan5126MadMan5126 Posts: 366 New Member
    I tried these steps, and it's still not working. Is there anything else I can do? :(
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora

So I checked my settings and everything and I've seen that nothing had changed. I suppose it only works for the first launch?

No, I have no idea why it's so temperamental. EA really need to release a fix. They keep saying they're looking into it but have yet to prove it.

@MadMan5126 if there was I'd post it here and on my site.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    MadMan5126MadMan5126 Posts: 366 New Member
    oh okay. Thank you though! I guess ill just have to learn to love the sims 4 lol
  • Options
    MisklecticMisklectic Posts: 1 New Member
    @BluebellFlora said:
    > Just an update. It seems that editing the EP GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files does help with Pets, Seasons, University Life and Supernatural. However, the Late Night, Ambitions and Island Life packs have very different .sgr files so they're proving trickier. The Simmer who is helping me is playing on a new 12" MacBook (I know, amazing!) with the Intel HD 5300 graphics and a Broadwell processor. We copied and pasted the base game files into the EP folders for the EPs they have managed to get to work.
    >
    > So I'll admit, I really didn't think editing the EP files would make a difference but it apparently does :)

Hey BluebellFlora,
    Firstly, thank you for your advice. I've been following your site and forums closely to try get sims 3 working on a macbook pro.

SPECS:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Games:
    Sims 3
    Late Night
    Pets
    University Life
    Showtime
    Ambitions
    Generations
    Outdoor stuff
    Master Suite Stuff
    Fast Lane Stuff
    High-end loft stuff
    Town Life Stuff

Sims 3 minus University life would start but was crashing frequently.
    After Installing University Life from origin the game would crash after launching - freezing on the blue sims icon screen. After force quitting it would say 'cannot start game process...'

I changed the sims GraphicsCards.sgr & GraphicsRules.sgr to match my device ID and specs..
    This worked without a single crash!

Next time I jumped on...Same screen happened.

So this time I changed all GraphicsCards.sgr & GraphicsRules.sgr of all expansion packs.
    This Worked again, except only once.

After attempting to clear Cache files, thumbnails, starting without the sims 3 file in documents, going offline..nothing was working until I quit 'cider' in the Activity Log.
    This seems to have worked except I am getting some graphic issues - such as Town View is all white - , and occasional crashing (at least the game is starting now)

I copied your comment earlier that certain expansions have different GraphicsCards.sgr & GraphicsRules.sgr files,
    Because I copied all my files to the base game I was wondering if you had come across a solution for the other expansions i.e Late Night, Ambitions??

Thanks.
  • Options
    Misklectic wrote: »
    SPECS:
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
    Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Games:
    Sims 3
    Late Night
    Pets
    University Life
    Showtime
    Ambitions
    Generations
    Outdoor stuff
    Master Suite Stuff
    Fast Lane Stuff
    High-end loft stuff
    Town Life Stuff

Sims 3 minus University life would start but was crashing frequently.
    After Installing University Life from origin the game would crash after launching - freezing on the blue sims icon screen. After force quitting it would say 'cannot start game process...'
    Yep, you have to go into Activity Monitor and stop the processes. I have a web page on it here.

I changed the sims GraphicsCards.sgr & GraphicsRules.sgr to match my device ID and specs..
    This worked without a single crash!

Next time I jumped on...Same screen happened.

So this time I changed all GraphicsCards.sgr & GraphicsRules.sgr of all expansion packs.
    This Worked again, except only once.
    This keeps happening and I've no idea why. Did you change any in game graphics options after you successfully managed to start the game the first time?

After attempting to clear Cache files, thumbnails, starting without the sims 3 file in documents, going offline..nothing was working until I quit 'cider' in the Activity Log.
    This seems to have worked except I am getting some graphic issues - such as Town View is all white - , and occasional crashing (at least the game is starting now)
    I'm adding to look for Cider in my above linked help page. I think because I always equate TS3 with Cider I forget that others don't - thanks! :) As for the white town view, that's also really common but you can play on your lot and travel ok I think?

I copied your comment earlier that certain expansions have different GraphicsCards.sgr & GraphicsRules.sgr files,
    Because I copied all my files to the base game I was wondering if you had come across a solution for the other expansions i.e Late Night, Ambitions??
    No, unfortunately not. I'm still hoping that someone will try out different methods so I can add them. I don't have one of the affected Macs so am solely reliant on others trying stuff out.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    If you have Time Machine, you can always pull out your saved games (your most recent saves) and restore the Sims 3 folder (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3). I've had to do that and that always works for me. Just add your most recent saves back once you've restored the folder.
  • Options
    roicitoroicito Posts: 2 New Member
    I have read the whole 8 pages of this forum and tried every single thing you guys suggested. I am desperate and don't know what to do! I miss playing The Sims 3. Has someone come with a solution to this? In particular for MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB. It didn't even launch at first saying it was already running, but now I have gotten it to get to the Plumbob part when it freezes. Progress has been made... But I still can't play! Not even once! I have Late Night, Ambitions, Generations, and High End Loft Stuff. Please tell me Im not alone in this. :'(
  • Options
    You are not alone. However, there is a thread in the Mac User's Best Friend thread stickied at the top that should direct you on how to get your game to work on the newer Macs.