Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

-: ATTN - if your game won't start, READ HERE :-

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    tamalinn wrote: »
    RK_13 wrote: »
    I made the changes because I only got it to work for about 10 minutes and then the game froze while I was in CAS.

I went ahead and put the file i downloaded in the trash. Im not sure what it is but it did have something do do with the sims 3. The file was called To-9335-1.67.2.024001

That file is the super patch. Did you run it after you installed the base game?

^This^

It's the Region 1 super patch for the disc version of the game. Are you playing the disc version or the digital version? If you're playing the digital version you want this patch.
    apple-signature.png
  • RK_13RK_13 Posts: 15 New Member
    Im playing with the digital version. Should I still download the patch even if the game is up to date?
    Im playing with the digital version. Should I still download the patch even if the game is up to date?

Did you patch through the Launcher previously? It never hurts to download the super patch.

When you got the game working previously, was that only with the base game?
    apple-signature.png
    edited September 2015
    Yeah it was only with the base game. I had to shut down my computer about 10 times but now i can't do that anymore. And when it was working it was actually working pretty well until it froze.

I updated it through launcher and if i remember correctly I also updated the expansion pack.

When I download the super patch where should I put it?
    So something goes horribly wrong after adding in EPs for some people, very strange.

The super patch just runs automatically and patches the game. I wrote a guide on my website if you get stuck.
    apple-signature.png
    edited September 2015
    So other people who have EP's can't get their game to work either?
    edited September 2015
    So other people who have downloaded EP's have been having the same issue?

Edit: I didn't realize I posted the same comment twice lol
    So other people who have EP's can't get their game to work either?

Some yes but not all. There are 4 groups of people with the affected Macs -
    1. Those whose game doesn't work at all, not even the base game
    2. Those whose base game works but breaks as soon as one or more EPs are added
    3. Those who can't get their games to work after editing the graphics files
    4. Those who can get their games to work after editing the graphics files

The only common denominator is that they are all Retina MacBook Pros or 2015 model MacBook Airs with Intel Iris, Intel Iris Pro or Intel HD 6000 graphics.
    apple-signature.png
    edited September 2015
    That's unfortunate. I don't know why it works for some people and not others. Hopefully someone will be able to figure this out in th future. Thanks for all your help though
    edited September 2015
    That's unfortunate. I don't know why it works for some people and not others. Hopefully someone will be able to figure this out in th future. Thanks for all your help though

Yes. We're trying to figure it out and have managed to come up with that fix recently but not a magic fix for all unfortunately.

You're welcome - thanks for your feedback :)

apple-signature.png
    edited September 2015
    Is have faith that someone will eventually figure out a universal fix. I just have to be patient.

I have a question. Whats the difference between Ivybridge and Sandybridge?

Edit: What if I downloaded windows on my Mac?
    Post edited by RK_13 on
    @RK_13 you could try although I'm pretty sure the graphics card isn't supported in Windows either.
    apple-signature.png
    That's strange because I feel like everytime I try to play the game it crashes due to cider. And i find it weird that I did get cas working pretty well once before. So I might download windows. But there's a possibility I'll install it incorrectly though so I'm a bit hesitant. I don't want to mess up my laptop.
    But there's a possibility I'll install it incorrectly though so I'm a bit hesitant. I don't want to mess up my laptop.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/579888/how-to-install-windows-using-boot-camp-step-by-step-instructions-with-screenshots/p1
    apple-signature.png
    edited September 2015
    I think I'll wait because I can still play on my mom's computer. Again the instructions are a bit too confusing to me and I don't want to risk messing up my laptop.
  • Astrid-AstrixAstrid-Astrix Posts: 3 New Member
    @BluebellFlora I've followed your advice for the graphics card yet when i load sims 3 (only the base game is installed so far and i haven't updated it yet) i still get the sims 3 has crashed with the blue screen with the green plumbob in the background. Any advice or am i for lack of better words screwed. :(((

here's my computer stats in case you need them

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
    @BluebellFlora I've followed your advice for the graphics card yet when i load sims 3 (only the base game is installed so far and i haven't updated it yet) i still get the sims 3 has crashed with the blue screen with the green plumbob in the background. Any advice or am i for lack of better words screwed. :(((

here's my computer stats in case you need them

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Can you update it? Use the super patch, not the Launcher. Check the edited files again after patching to make sure the patch hasn't changed them.

Check your Device ID, I think yours is 0x162b.

Did you try adding in the extra lines I detailed here? http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14067128/#Comment_14067128 In the TS4 equivalent file it says Intel Broadwell HD Graphics so you could try that:

elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Intel Broadwell HD Graphics*"))

I'm just guessing really but it won't hurt to try. Something is still proving problematic on the 2015 models :( To cover all bases in the GraphicsCards.sgr file, try adding in all lines that may be relevant:

elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Haswell*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Broadwell*"))
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Intel Broadwell HD Graphics*"))
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*IntelIris6100*"))
    seti isCardMatched true

apple-signature.png
  • ichabodkatieichabodkatie Posts: 15 New Member
    edited September 2015
    @BluebellFlora I have a MacBook Air 13 inch early 2015 with a 1.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and Intel HD Graphics 6000 card. I had not been able to launch the Sims 3 since getting this laptop a couple of weeks ago but then came across the instructions on your online guide to resolve the issue. It worked the first two times that I went to play the game and then mysteriously stopped working! Now I get the same frozen blue screen with the green plumbob as before. I have no idea why the fix ended up reversing itself and double checked that all of the edits to my graphics files are still there. Not sure what else to do. Any ideas?
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Try this. Do you have Time Machine turned on? If so, move out your most recent saved games to your desktop. Go back to a day that Sims 3 did work and restore the Sims 3 folder (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3) from that date and add back your saved games. That should work.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, that did not work. The game still froze and now I am getting the "Cannot start the process when the game is running" error. I am about ready to give up on TS3. Do you know if TS4 should work with my computer?
    Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, that did not work. The game still froze and now I am getting the "Cannot start the process when the game is running" error. I am about ready to give up on TS3. Do you know if TS4 should work with my computer?

In the first page of the instructions is a link to my guide on temporarily fixing the "Cannot start the process..." Error. Try that and then try launching the game again. Can you also check the resolution settings in your Options.ini file and tell us what they are?

apple-signature.png
    Thanks for your suggestion! I did not see the Sims 3 running in the CPU tab of Activity Monitor but am still getting the same error.

Resolution = 1400 900 0
    pseudoresolution = 0,0
  • xoxtrecixoxxoxtrecixox Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! Thank you for the help you've provided for us, poor souls. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't work. I followed the instructions, and yet nothing. Ugh. Any new discoveries on how to fix this problem will be gladly appreciated.
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > ichabodkatie wrote: »
    >
    > Thank you for the suggestion! Unfortunately, that did not work. The game still froze and now I am getting the "Cannot start the process when the game is running" error. I am about ready to give up on TS3. Do you know if TS4 should work with my computer?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In the first page of the instructions is a link to my guide on temporarily fixing the "Cannot start the process..." Error. Try that and then try launching the game again. Can you also check the resolution settings in your Options.ini file and tell us what they are?

Hi, I did not see the Sims 3 running in the CPU tab of Activity Monitor but am still getting the same error.

Resolution = 1400 900 0
    pseudoresolution = 0,0

Do you have any other ideas on how I can get TS3 to start working again? If not, is it worth upgrading to TS4 or will I still have the same issue? Thanks!
    @ichabodkatie sorry, been away for a few days.

In Activity Monitor there may have been a process referencing Cider? Normally an unresponsive process will be in red so it would be worth scrolling down the list.

You should be able to play TS4 fine.
    apple-signature.png