Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

-: ATTN - if your game won't start, READ HERE :-

BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
edited August 2015 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
Update 30th August 2015 -
Thanks to @tmethei, @the11thmoon, @wendyp7 for detailing their graphics cards and posting how they fixed their issue. We finally now have a fix that works! I've written a really comprehensive guide on my website with detailed instructions for all affected Macs :D

On this very helpful forum for Mac users we already have Tremayne's fantastic stickied thread - "A Mac user's best friend..." which has links to every possible conceivable problem you are experiencing on your Mac in relation to The Sims 3. Believe me, we have seen all issues before, your problem isn't new and you are not the only one experiencing it. That post should be your very first port of call before you even think about starting your own thread.

In the last few months the most frequent post is that the user's Mac will not load the game at all past the loading splash screen. The Launcher opens (trust me, you should be extremely thankful that that even happens), the user presses the big Play symbol, the game loads the blue splash screen with the green plumbob then nothing. Zilch. Nada. Nani mo. Niente. Zero. Not a sausage.

I'm going to hazard a guess now that you're thinking "but my Mac is superduper and new and can do absolutely anything including the washing up and take the kids to school". Yes, yes it can do all those things but it can't play The Sims 3. Why? Because your super pretty, all singing, all dancing Mac has a graphics card inside it's pretty aluminium casing, attached to the beautifully designed logic board, which isn't supported in the game. In plain speak, the game doesn't know what to do so gives up.

If you have one of the following graphics cards (GPU) in your Mac, you have a problem:
  • Intel Iris and Iris Pro - found in the following Macs:
    1. All Late 2013 Retina 13" MacBook Pros and subsequent models
    2. Entry level (cheapest) Late 2013 Retina 15" MacBook Pro and subsequent models
    3. Late 2014 mid (2.6 Ghz) and higher (2.8 Ghz) spec. Mac mini
    4. Entry level (cheapest) Late 2013 21" iMac
  • Intel HD 6000 - found in the following Macs:
    • Early 2015 11" MacBook Air
    • Early 2015 13" MacBook Air
  • AMD Radeon R9 M370X - found in the following Mac:
    • High spec. (most expensive) Mid 2015 Retina 15" MacBook Pro
- : - : - : -

Now, you have two options to try and get your game working:

Option 1 -
This is thanks to two wonderful Simmers who have taken the time to post how to possibly get your game working. It involves concentration and courage so pay attention! You must understand though that this fix doesn't appear to be working for everyone:
  1. Read this thread by @tmethei. It gives extremely clear and concise instructions on where to find the relevant files that you have to change for the game to recognise your graphics card. His instructions are for the Intel Iris Pro.
  2. If you have the AMD Radeon R9 M370X read this post and this post by @the11thmoon. They used tmethei's instructions but substituted Intel Iris for their AMD Radeon GPU.
  3. If you have the Intel HD 6000..... well, I'm afraid I don't have the exact line you need to add to the GraphicsCards.sgr file as no one with this GPU has bothered trying yet. You could always be the first and post your success story here to share with others.

Option 2 -
Try just running the base game with no Expansion or Stuff packs, patched up to date, 1.67.

- : - : - : -

And one more thing, please, please, please, PLEASE don't moan about it not working. We all know how awful it must be for you but here are the steps for you to try and get the game working on your Mac. EA aren't going to release a patch to miraculously fix this. The Sims 3 finished when the last Expansion Pack, Into The Future, was released in October 2013. The last patch, 1.67, was released in January 2014. No one else can do this but you, there is no magic fix. You are all on your own.

I highly recommend you also read Caspin's very helpful thread and WinMacSims3's equally helpful thread. Yes, we have an overload of threads on this issue but us helpers hope that by saturating the Mac forum with posts about the same thing but with different titles, it may stop the same threads being posted over and over and over again. Capisce?

If you can add anything constructive to this thread then it would be most welcome :)

@Tremayne4260 @caspinwall @igazor @tamalinn @Ashpeef @WinMacSims3
apple-signature.png
Post edited by BluebellFlora on

Comments

• the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    You are WONDERFUL @BluebellFlora
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    You are WONDERFUL @BluebellFlora

If you knew me you probably wouldn't think so but thanks! ;)

All I do is consolidate information and try and make people aware of issues and how they can try and fix them themselves. We all have to learn somehow.

apple-signature.png
  • tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    THANK YOU.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I will add this to the Stickied thread this evening when I get home.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    I thought it would be helpful as a copy and paste link more than anything. Rather than typing the same advice over and over just direct them to here.

I really wish someone with the MBA would try the workaround.....
    apple-signature.png
    Just updated the OP. I've now read two separate posts where people with only the base game and maybe one EP installed have managed to get the game to work.
    apple-signature.png
  • Elf67Elf67 Posts: 1,198 Member
    It is also well known that the digital version can take a long time to start (sometimes as long as 15 minutes) and you may get an error message saying game cannot start, but it starts anyway after you hit ignore.
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    It's really sad that EA doesn't care about The Sims 3. Regardless if The Sims 3 is on OS X or Windows, it really needs an update. Take a look on this thread Compiled list of bugs in The Sims 3, there are loads of bugs that hasn't been fixed. In addition, some Worlds (such as China and Isla Paradiso) are impossible to play TS3 due to lag which is jarring if you brought Island Paradise since that town is the only way to fully enjoy all Island Paradise features. Some Ambitions professions such as Firefighter sometimes doesn't work in 1.67 an example being the Small Fires. University is somewhat bugged such as everyday party invites and to top things off, a major bug can occur during graduation prohibiting you from getting the Degree and extra Trait.

And to add insult to injury for Mac users, EA hasn't bothered to update The Sims 3 to support Intel Iris so people who have Macs (particularity Retina MacBook Pro computers) manufactured in 2013 are unable to play the game without workarounds. Although The Sims 2 on Mac and The Sims 4 were later patched to support Intel Iris/Iris Pro, The Sims 3 remains as the only game incompatible with it. In addition, TS3 has problems with other GPUs and while a workaround is possible, EA won't likely fix it.

Hopefully this could be helpful for users who want to play TS3 on a Mac as well as those who doesn't want TS4.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
    There are fixes to China and Isla Paradiso that were done by another Sim creator. And NRAAS's mods. They help a lot and I can play both worlds.
    Sims 2 for Mac wasn't done by EA. It was done by a company that seems to care more about it's customers.
    edited July 2015
    Elf67 wrote: »
    Sims 2 for Mac wasn't done by EA. It was done by a company that seems to care more about it's customers.

I forgot to add that. Aspyr released the Mac version of TS2 and The Sims 2 Super Collection. Aspyr patched the Super Collection to support Iris and other newer graphics including the AMD FirePro used in the Mac Pros. However, keep in mind that only applies to the Mac version, the Windows version from EA has never been updated to detect newer cards causing glitches that were probably not present in the Super Collection or older PCs.
    That's what I meant. Aspyr created the Mac version and it is available through the Mac store. I only wish they included everything that was in the free Windows version. And of course, the Mac version isn't free. But it does go on sale once in awhile-I got it for half price. It runs much better than Sims 3 does. Not sure if this is because it is specifically for Macs or because EA didn't do the programming for it. Now if Aspyr would only do Zoo Tycoon!
    I'm afraid Aspyr will never the get the rest of Sims 2 *sigh* We told EA at the time we wanted it, but they ignored us. I basically had to the same thing to get Sims 2 UC to run on my iMac, and it's ok. :)
    Some of my favorite games were PC only or were only ported for older Macs. Since I had difficulty using my desktop PC, I replaced it with a Windows laptop to play those games. I put the free Sims 2 collection on that. I might eventually buy a new desktop geared more towards the visually impaired, but the laptop is good enough for now. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to go with a Windows desktop, as they use the same illegible font on new Macs as they did for ios 7 and 8. Apparently Apple's new CEO doesn't care about the visually impaired as much as Jobs did, since Windows PCS are now more visually impaired friendly than Macs are!
    BUMP!
    I'm going to Bump the thread so that the Mac users can read it easily.
  • AcatsimmerAcatsimmer Posts: 57 Member
    Thank you, I was just really upset that it isn't working on my mac. I did the graphics card thingy and i have a question:
    When i open the sims 3 the plumblob with a 3 shows up and it just stays there, It has worked before, but now it just is frozen. Do you know anything i can do?
    kcDovEA.png
    Click on the banner above to visit my tumblr, and see the Bennett Legacy and simming on Mac tips!
    Move your Sims 3 folder to your Desktop (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3) and start the game back up. You won't have your saved games or CC (Yet) and it clears whatever happens to prevent the game from running. I use Time Machine and so I go back to an earlier day (when the game was working fine) and restore my Sims 3 folder from there, but I take out my most recent saves and add them back in. That seems to clear whatever was preventing the game from starting up.
  • wendyp7wendyp7 Posts: 18 New Member
    Have there been any updates on a way to fix the problem for the Macbook Air 2015?
    wendyp7 wrote: »
    Have there been any updates on a way to fix the problem for the Macbook Air 2015?

Nope. It's up to those of you with the problem to try and enter your details into the GraphicsCards.sgr file.
    apple-signature.png
    Alright, I'll just be patient and see if anybody else does. I'm not amazing at working with computers and I don't want to make the problem worse!
    wendyp7 wrote: »
    Alright, I'll just be patient and see if anybody else does. I'm not amazing at working with computers and I don't want to make the problem worse!

If anybody else does what? Updates the file? That's the sole possible solution, so you can see that lots of folks have already tried it. If you're concerned about your computer skills, make a copy of the file, put the original somewhere safe, and update the copied file. If it works, you can delete the original file, and if it doesn't, then you still have the original file.
    The problem is I don't even know where to start :(
    Start by reading the instructions. Then make copies of the files you'll need to edit so that if you make a mistake, it won't matter. Then use the instructions to edit the files.
    Should I use the instructions for the Macbook Pro and update it the same way?