Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What happened to the 'Generations Attitude' they had back in 2011?

Ok, so I was just messing around on Youtube and stumbled across a small preview for Generations (a TS3 EP for those who don't know) and I couldn't believe it, a few familiar faces from the dev team including Ryan (now moved on) and Graham talking about a rich and in depth new EP called Generations.

What they were showing us was light years away from the doom and gloom some people experience now, Sims of different ages being given new interactions, new features and new objects and not even a new world needed to show it off, the only TS3 EP to not have a new world, but did we need it with CAW?

The video shows some cute family moments, as well as some daft pranks and a few parties, but nothing that was in favour of one over the other.

Yet here were are in 2015, and we have now gone down to the most basic of things, yet it is most of the same dev team, the same studio almost throwing excuses here, and cleverly worded reasons there, but what about the old attitude? Back in those days, they just got on with it, they just did it. They even said that they 'listened to their fans' to give the players what we want and guess what, I think that they actually did, as Generations turned out to be a popular EP, something for everyone! :smiley:

So what has changed, just four years later?

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCwGZxRW2Yg
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    and not even a new world needed to show it off, the only TS3 EP to not have a new world, but did we need it with CAW?

Source:

Seasons tho
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    u-Punf.gif

That's what happened.

Oh yes, the new management team...

Now where did my thread go, oh here it is, in feedback

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    A lot of things got culled unfortunately including life stages. I miss when generations used to matter to Maxis. :( Same with towns and supernaturals as well.

Well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    A lot of things got culled unfortunately including life stages. I miss when generations used to matter to Maxis. :( Same with towns and supernaturals as well.

I miss when customer satisfaction and feedback use to matter to EA and Maxis. :(
    Me too. Now we are nothing more than numbers to them. Just telemetry stats.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

I miss when customer satisfaction and feedback use to matter to EA and Maxis. :(

Or if we are old enough, we are seen as 'has beens' and no longer valuable members of the community compared to the 'target audience'

True and I'm not even that old. Survey ageism things did stink.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options

Or if we are old enough, we are seen as 'has beens' and no longer valuable members of the community compared to the 'target audience'

True and I'm not even that old. Survey ageism things did stink.

If you are over 17 you are 'too old' in their books. No respect for long term players what so ever

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Interesting how word of mouth spreads with this topic I made too: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/856272/do-any-of-your-family-members-play-the-sims

It seems like a lot of the younger Simmers either learn about the Sims from either a sibling or their parent. So if the parents/older siblings aren't happy, who really is going to spread word of mouth about the game? It seems like a costly expense if they rely on just getting new Simmers only while spending millions on commercials etc.
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    What changed 4 years later? Olympus happened...or didn't happen, but, they used the dregs of it to give us a game, shortcuts included because the engine that was supposed to be so awesome...wasn't. That is what happened...and, oh yes...RF happened and she does not GET IT.
  • Options
    InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    Great vid it makes me sad that I came into the sims, though glad I stuck around to find out things I didn't know you could do with the Sims 3. I use to think the tree houses were rabbitholes it's nice to see they can play with them and those pranks were awesome xd.

• Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    It's also sad to be here since the beginning, playing the original game, falling in love with it, and just enjoying the over all awesomeness of it. And then being asked for feedback with the development of each new EP, and also being asked what we wanted in a new Sims game. And to know just how great a product EA and Maxis can produce, and now to see this (Sims 4). It really is sad. :( And infuriating.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I like how Ryan said we really went to our fans to see what THEY wanted just like now Generational play is what we want sadly Sims 4 is not the players vision they couldn't care less what we want now.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    The vid is cool, what i didn't like though was the staged scene for the prom night. I really hope they add a real, interactive one this time. Someone just has to say to Rachel: "It's technically a party!" and it might happen!
  • Options
    Kat In A BoxKat In A Box Posts: 91 Member
    edited October 2015
    They'll probably just make a Sims 4 version of Generations, and try selling it off to all the "family simmers".

Sorry if that came out wrong. I just meant that EA will probably just sell what they've taken out of the base game as an expansion pack. Which really isn't acceptable.
    Post edited by Kat In A Box on
    it__s_a_cat_in_a_box_by_equinejumper2-d5375js.jpg
    Cats are cute! =^.^=
  • Options
    My kids, they are teens ( 17 -14) but they play families, they don't want to party either. And my 10 year old loves toddlers. Their her favorite lifestage. She normally has a mom and dad, and the rest of the household are toddlers. LOL
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    They tried to go the mobile game route, that's what's changed. Instead of supporting the fans that have kept the sims alive their trying to get a new crowd by making the game about parties and young adult life.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited September 2015
    Here is the trailer of the result we finally got by the way :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hajq1nwsAM&ab_channel=TheSims

Why I bought generations: Because it offered many new (and interesting) ways to party - finally for the teens which made me play around with families for the first time. Sorry guys, but this is just how the franchise has always been.

Even an ep like free-time has a party and club scene in it's trailer and added to the party-related content.

[img]http://cdn.🐸🐸🐸🐸/instances/54407636.jpg[/img]

And I love it!

Edit: Before you guys ask: I count myself to the older generation (I am in my very late 20's ;-) ). My university time lays two years behind me though. Got a grade in law ( bachelor of law) and a diploma in economics (in germany that is). And I still can't get enough of parties. I guess some things will never change :open_mouth: . Well, maybe they will, eventually.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2015
    Ok, so I was just messing around on Youtube and stumbled across a small preview for Generations (a TS3 EP for those who don't know) and I couldn't believe it, a few familiar faces from the dev team including Ryan (now moved on) and Graham talking about a rich and in depth new EP called Generations.

What they were showing us was light years away from the doom and gloom some people experience now, Sims of different ages being given new interactions, new features and new objects and not even a new world needed to show it off, the only TS3 EP to not have a new world, but did we need it with CAW?

The video shows some cute family moments, as well as some daft pranks and a few parties, but nothing that was in favour of one over the other.

Yet here were are in 2015, and we have now gone down to the most basic of things, yet it is most of the same dev team, the same studio almost throwing excuses here, and cleverly worded reasons there, but what about the old attitude? Back in those days, they just got on with it, they just did it. They even said that they 'listened to their fans' to give the players what we want and guess what, I think that they actually did, as Generations turned out to be a popular EP, something for everyone! :smiley:

So what has changed, just four years later?

Source:

That was the only reason I came back to the TS3 back then. After the announcement of WA I left and only checked out TS3 again after this EP. Yeah, I would like to be able to have that feature to show their home videos on their TV again. That was actually a very planned out EP and gave more depth to the Sims in TS3. Which I felt it sorely needed. Just as this game does. But nowhere do I see an interview like that saying 'we went to the fans and asked them what do you want?' in this game. Sure, they have asked in feedback etc. but they don't deliver what people have said have they.

ETA: BTW this isn't a feedback thread nor does it belong in feedback. It's a discussion.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    what hasn't changed in 4 years. I love generations TS3 but its very buggy and so is the sims 4 base game, Neither have been fixed :s

Yes it would have also been nice if Prom was not a rabbit hole

What has changed TS4 is lesser than its predecessors and does not belong in the same category as previous sims games

• Options
    Here is the trailer of the result we finally got by the way :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hajq1nwsAM&ab_channel=TheSims

Why I bought generations: Because it offered many new (and interesting) ways to party - finally for the teens which made me play around with families for the first time. Sorry guys, but this is just how the franchise has always been.

Even an ep like free-time has a party and club scene in it's trailer and added to the party-related content.

[img]http://cdn.🐸🐸🐸🐸/instances/54407636.jpg[/img]

And I love it!

Edit: Before you guys ask: I count myself to the older generation (I am in my very late 20's ;-) ). My university time lays two years behind me though. Got a grade in law ( bachelor of law) and a diploma in economics (in germany that is). And I still can't get enough of parties. I guess some things will never change :open_mouth: . Well, maybe they will, eventually.

No one is saying there is something wrong with parties. Heck, House Party was one of my favorite Eps for The Sims. it just seems that Sims 4 main focus is the party lifestyle. Since the start though there has been focus on all aspects of life than just parties. Sims 4 missed all of that and just has focused on that one issue. :(
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!