Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

-: ATTN - if your game won't start, READ HERE :-

Comments

• Options
    wendyp7wendyp7 Posts: 18 New Member
    Ok well i'll just see how it goes, i'd like to avoid uninstalling it if I can. Thanks again! :)
  • Options
    sparkleisacolorsparkleisacolor Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm having this same problem and I have an old Mac (21.5 iMac, late 2009) with an ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB graphics card. This is a new problem that happened after Yosemite. I had it working for awhile, but now it's not working again and nothing seems to be working. Anyone else running a late 2009 iMac with Yosemite having this problem? I've been scouring forums but haven't been able to find anything that's helped.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    I'm having this same problem and I have an old Mac (21.5 iMac, late 2009) with an ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB graphics card. This is a new problem that happened after Yosemite. I had it working for awhile, but now it's not working again and nothing seems to be working. Anyone else running a late 2009 iMac with Yosemite having this problem? I've been scouring forums but haven't been able to find anything that's helped.

Your problem isn't incompatible graphics as your graphics card is supported. Do you have a lot of Expansion Packs installed? Seasons, Pets?

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I have them all installed (I quite like my expansions). I removed all my CC already, so it shouldn't be anything to do with that.
  • Options
    I have them all installed (I quite like my expansions). I removed all my CC already, so it shouldn't be anything to do with that.

That's your problem unfortunately. Your iMac's graphics card has 256Mb VRAM, it's struggling with all the heavy processing and rendering required for all the EPs, especially Seasons and Pets.

You could try lowering your graphics settings. You could also delete the caches files. Read this thread for info on the ones to delete - http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/658546/mac-help-threads-guides-please-start-here-before-posting-a-problem-updated-05-06-15/p1

Whilst you're on that thread read up about Cider too :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Ok after fiddling with it for awhile, lowering the graphics settings seems to work, but I have to do it manually to the Options.ini file because I can't even get the game to open. However it only seemed to work once, which is frustrating. I'm going to try a full uninstall/reinstall to find the breaking point for my graphics card. I'm honestly considering just buying a PC purely for playing TS3. TS4 doesn't run particularly well on this machine either plus I loathe it. Sigh.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Ok after fiddling with it for awhile, lowering the graphics settings seems to work, but I have to do it manually to the Options.ini file because I can't even get the game to open. However it only seemed to work once, which is frustrating. I'm going to try a full uninstall/reinstall to find the breaking point for my graphics card. I'm honestly considering just buying a PC purely for playing TS3. TS4 doesn't run particularly well on this machine either plus I loathe it. Sigh.

Thanks for your help!

Don't uninstall and reinstall yet. Drag the Options.ini file to your desktop and the game will recreate a new one based on default settings :)

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Nope, that didn't seem to work. I've deleted all the cache files, I'm working with a newly generated The Sims 3 folder in my Documents, I've got things set up to bypass the launcher and I have it set to the lowest screen resolution (I think) and still getting that Black Screen of Death.
  • Options
    Update: Got it working! In the end this seems to be a launcher issue. Here's what I did, in case it helps anyone:

1. Removed my The Sims 3 folder from My Documents. I put it on my Desktop.
    2. Set up the game to bypass the launcher.
    3. Once it was set to bypass the launcher, I found I had to double click the icon for the base game. Right clicking and choosing open won't work for some reason. Double clicking gets the game to load.
    4. I started a new test game to make sure everything was working, once I was confident it was I moved back in my saved games from the TS3 folder I put on my Desktop.
    5. Once I was sure my saved game was working okay, I moved my DCCache and DCCacheBackup folder back into the newly generated TS3 folder in My Documents (when I bypassed the launcher all my store content disappeared from the game, this got it back).

I did A LOT of finagling with the screen resolution in my Options.ini file, but once I got the game to load I changed it back to default then manually adjusted the screen size to 1600 x 900 and the game has been loading fine. All is well for the time being!
  • Options
    RK_13RK_13 Posts: 15 New Member
    So I recently downloaded the sims 3 starter pack on my early 2015 macbook air and like many other mac users I realized that the game would not work. Then I came across a list of instructions that i found on Bluebella's website and it claimed that would make my laptop compatible with the game. But after many attempts I still couldn't get it to work. So now I'm back to square one. Does anyone have an idea on why editing my graphics cards didn't work? Im so desperate.
  • Options
    @sparkleisacolor - That's great, well done :)

@RK_13 - If you followed the instructions carefully it should have worked. I know they are quite complicated but I did simplify them as much as I could. Did you check your GraphicsCard.sgr files after editing them. Yours should look like this:
    hd6000.png

Adding the Broadwell line is key to getting it working on your Mac. The GraphicsRules.sgr should look like this:
    rules-6000.png

And, crucially, did you use the right Device ID?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @BluebellFlora Im pretty sure I did everything right.
    Heres what my GraphicsCards.sgr file looks like:
    card 0x0116 "Mobile SandyBridge GT2"
    card 0x0126 "Mobile SandyBridge GT2+"
    card 0x1626 "IntelHD6000"
    card 0x1626 "Mobile Broadwell GT3"
    card 0x29A2 "GMA 3000 (G965 Express Chipset Family)" unsupported
    card 0x29A3 "GMA 3000 (G965 Express Chipset Family)" unsupported
    card 0x2772 "945 (82945G Express Chipset Family Graphics Controller)" unsupported
    et Family Graphics Controller)" unsupported

And heres what my GraphicsRules.sgr file looks like:
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelLowmedium
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*SandyBridge*"))
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelMedium
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*IntelHD6000*"))
    seti isCardMatched true
    else
    seti cardLevel $cardLevelLow
    seti isCardMatched true
    endif

I can also assure you that my device ID is correct.
    Also Im not quite sure how to change my resolutions to 1400 900 0. Do I change the resolutionheight to 1400, the resolutionfresh to 900, and the resolutionwidth to 0?
  • Options
    Oh and I forgot to mention that I keep getting the error message, "The sims 3 late night quit unexpectedly", despite the changes I made.
    Process: cider [315]
    Path: /Applications/The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app/Contents/Resources/AddOns/The Sims 3 Late Night.app/Contents/MacOS/cider
    Identifier: com.transgaming.thesims3ep03
    Version: 1.0 (1.0)
    Build Info: Cedega-5.3~5.3
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: ??? [1]
    Responsible: cider [315]
    User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2015-09-02 20:50:49.779 -0700
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)
    Report Version: 11
    Anonymous UUID: CCEA076F-019A-A136-30E3-9DBF7A417498

Im not completely sure what cider is but it seems to be causing the problem
  • Options
    Give this a try, adding those 3 highlighted lines in:

gcsgr.png

I'm really confused as this is working for so many but a couple of you can't get it to work. Are you also getting the "Cannot start process while the game is running" error message too?

As I don't have an affected Mac I'm reliant on others to try these changes.

Cider is the software EA used to make the game Mac 'compatible'. The game thinks it's running in Windows. There is a link in the stickied help thread that explains it in more detail.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @BluebellFlora - I tried everything you suggested and it still isn't working unfortunately. I even uninstalled the game and reinstalled it then I edited the graphics cards again, but that didn't work either.

I used to get that error message but then I figured out what the problem was.

Has anyone tried calling the EA customer service? If so what did they say? I doubt that they have insight on the problem though. It sucks that mac users have been forgotten about.
  • Options
    RK_13 wrote: »
    @BluebellFlora - I tried everything you suggested and it still isn't working unfortunately. I even uninstalled the game and reinstalled it then I edited the graphics cards again, but that didn't work either.

I used to get that error message but then I figured out what the problem was.

Has anyone tried calling the EA customer service? If so what did they say? I doubt that they have insight on the problem though. It sucks that mac users have been forgotten about.

I'm sorry :( I'm really curious now as to why it's not working.

EA have been contacted but their interests appear to now lie with Sims 4 :(

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    waverly03waverly03 Posts: 10 New Member
    Mine is also not working. I have the base game and world adventures currently installed and patched. I edited the two files.
    I also am getting the cannot start process while game is running error..
    Pretty disappointing.
    I've been playing sims 4 on my mac and have gotten a little tired of it, so I wanted to try sims 3 out again. I haven't played it since 4 came out.
    I have the 13" MBP early 2015, with intel iris 6100.
  • Options
    waverly03 wrote: »
    Mine is also not working. I have the base game and world adventures currently installed and patched. I edited the two files.
    I also am getting the cannot start process while game is running error..
    Pretty disappointing.
    I've been playing sims 4 on my mac and have gotten a little tired of it, so I wanted to try sims 3 out again. I haven't played it since 4 came out.
    I have the 13" MBP early 2015, with intel iris 6100.

Have you been using Activity Monitor to quit the process? Instructions are in the guide.

Still not understanding why it's working for some and not others. What's your Device ID? Did you patch after or before changing the files?

It seems that those of you having issues are the ones with the Broadwell processors (2015 13" MBP and MBAs).

I'll do a bit more digging...

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    @waverly03 @RK_13 Please can someone with a 2015 model MacBook Pro or Air try this:

In the GraphicsRules.sgr file here:

grulessgr.png?w=625&h=297

please add in the following:

elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Haswell*"))
    seti isCardMatched true
    elseif (match("${cardName}", "*Broadwell*"))
    seti isCardMatched true

so it looks like this:

haswellbroadwell.png
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @BluebellFlora Ill try that out and tell you if it works.

But I would like to tell you that I previously got it to work once on my own the old fashioned way. I just shut off my computer multiple times and the base game eventually worked. Also my friend who has mbp 2015 can get the sims 3 to work by just shutting off her computer about 5 time, I don't know if this info helps at all but its sort of like my last last resort.

Also when I edit the files should I changed intelHD6000 back to ivybridge?

Edit: It didn't work on my macbook air ):
    Post edited by RK_13 on
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @RK_13 🐸🐸🐸🐸 :(

Well it's always one of those classic techy answers isn't it? Turn it on and off again and it will work :) Trying a PRAM reset wouldn't hurt though I guess - https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18761?locale=en_US

It's weird that it's easier to get it to work with just the base game. I know more EPs can cause the Mac to struggle but it's a graphics card issue so would affect the base game only too.

It's still not making sense why it's working for some though. Do you have anything running that may interfere? Any 3rd party software installed that could alter performance?

What 15" MBP does your friend have? The entry level one or the higher spec. with dedicated AMD Radeon graphics? Is there any software you both have in common (apart from stuff from Apple)?

Thank you for trying :)

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I think she has the MPB with lowest specs possible.

I also found it weird that it worked with just the base game.

I did download something that might affect the sims 3 but I honestly don't know what it is. I got it thinking it would help the game but it didn't. I'll delete it and tell tkm what happens. I'll also take the PRAM test and tell you my results.

Also should I revert the changes I made to my graphics card and start all over?

Finally I want to note that I got it working before I made any changes to the graphics cards. I may have mentioned it earlier but I think it's something you should know
  • Options
    Finally I want to note that I got it working before I made any changes to the graphics cards. I may have mentioned it earlier but I think it's something you should know

So why did you make the changes if it was working? Was that with just the base game and patched up to date - the 1.67 patch?

What was it you downloaded, do you know the name or have a link?

You won't get any results to report after doing a PRAM reset. It explains in Apple's article what it does.

I wouldn't bother reverting the changes, just replace the two files you've edited with the copies you made before starting the editing process.

The 15" MacBook Pro has a Haswell processor, not a Broadwell like yours. I think this is where something is not quite right although other users with your Mac have managed to get it to work, it's so puzzling.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I made the changes because I only got it to work for about 10 minutes and then the game froze while I was in CAS.

I went ahead and put the file i downloaded in the trash. Im not sure what it is but it did have something do do with the sims 3. The file was called To-9335-1.67.2.024001
  • Options
    tamalinntamalinn Posts: 1,435 Member
    I made the changes because I only got it to work for about 10 minutes and then the game froze while I was in CAS.

I went ahead and put the file i downloaded in the trash. Im not sure what it is but it did have something do do with the sims 3. The file was called To-9335-1.67.2.024001

That file is the super patch. Did you run it after you installed the base game?