Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on family play and family play fans

Comments

• Options
    JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    missmani09 wrote: »
    i REALLY miss toddlers! :(
    tumblr_n0pmjkvPTl1sqgario5_500.png

Isn't this TS Freeplay? I am so JEALOUS! (Sorry, picture heavy.)

wpid-wp-1415566442716.jpeg
    wpid-wp-1415566480351.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    sims-hobbies-iphone-screenshot02_656x369.jpg?cb=1365796024

A toddler playhouse???
    20140722-120236.jpg?w=820

Sigh. REALLY?! We spend 60-80 bucks on TS4 & TS Freeplay gets toddlers AND awesome family play??? -_____-
    I wish this game wasn't online, otherwise I feel like I would have more fun with it than TS4....

Look at the animations! Sitting on the edge of the tub, how hard would that have been to put in 4?!

EA gave them more focus because you have to spend awful amounts of money on in game currency to get them :/ But we paid 60, for the Sims 4, it should be NO exception.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Olympous had a FP like currency. Awful.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Do you remember this comment from a Sims 4 developer?
    "They’re both [pools and toddlers] really important features that are close to our hearts. We didn’t have the time during production to do them right for base game so we made a really hard decision to wait to do it properly instead of something half-baked. I know it’s sad, but our hearts are in the right place.” –Dave, The Sims Studio (via Luana on Twitter) June 25, 2014 (Both accounts were deactivated the same day it was posted) | Image
    Could that mean that toddlers really were planned for the base game but they didn't have time to make them properly so they are currently tweaking them and adding them later to the game? :open_mouth:

If that is the case then why not just tell us? Why the silence? I, for one, would be MORE than happy to wait if I knew they were coming. Sure, I wouldn't buy any DLC's until they arrived but EA would be guaranteed my money when the time came.

I just CANNOT play this game in the state that it's in. My body and mind psyically won't allow me. I feel repulsed my TS4.

--T

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited June 2015
    To7m wrote: »
    "They’re both [pools and toddlers] really important features that are close to our hearts. We didn’t have the time during production to do them right for base game so we made a really hard decision to wait to do it properly instead of something half-baked. I know it’s sad, but our hearts are in the right place.” –Dave, The Sims Studio (via Luana on Twitter) June 25, 2014 (Both accounts were deactivated the same day it was posted) | Image
    Could that mean that toddlers really were planned for the base game but they didn't have time to make them properly so they are currently tweaking them and adding them later to the game? :open_mouth:

If that is the case then why not just tell us? Why the silence? I, for one, would be MORE than happy to wait if I knew they were coming. Sure, I wouldn't buy any DLC's until they arrived but EA would be guaranteed my money when the time came.

I just CANNOT play this game in the state that it's in. My body and mind psyically won't allow me. I feel repulsed my TS4.

--T

Because they can't announce anything in advance because of this tax thing ? It's not as if they have announced anything else either. We only know about upcoming content, not long before, so that tells us toddlers won't come in the next weeks, because then they would have been able to talk about it. Other than that, it's entirely speculation, and that's not specific to toddlers or family play : restaurant, night club, cars haven't been announced too.
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member

--T

During that same time frame another dev said they didn't want to "shoehorn" toddlers into the game. I think people misunderstood the definition of shoehorn, which means trying to fit something into an inadequate space. People chose to think it meant, oh they'll get to it later, but for me it simply means that they never intended for toddlers to be in the game in the first place. And I certainly haven't seen any indication that that's going to change. For me that means the Sims ended at 3.
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I agree! As far as I'm concerned, we have paid for those things already! So why don't we have them? :|

Thanks for the explanation, @marcellala. I don't know exactly how many hours I've played TS4 but I've basically ignored the emotions system because I think it was a poor design choice for what should be (but really isn't much of one) a life simulation game. I have no interest at all in trying to manipulate my sims emotions in order to skill up or earn achievements.

I'm pretty indifferent to them. I prefer TS2's way of expressing emotion. How they could blame us for things they had to do and didn't like and how they wanted to see the ghost of a burglar. Those reddened portraits were golden.
    I wouldn't mind TS4's system at all if it was more meaningful (deeper and longer lasting buffs) and less glitchy. You're right that it's mainly concentrated on skilling and making your sim or others act like puppets (make the grieving widow flirty one day after her husband died so she can jump into a pool with J Huntington!).
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    edited June 2015
    Neia wrote: »

--T

Because they can't announce anything in advance because of this tax thing ? It's not as if they have announced anything else either. We only know about upcoming content, not long before, so that tells us toddlers won't come in the next weeks, because then they would have been able to talk about it. Other than that, it's entirely speculation, and that's not specific to toddlers or family play : restaurant, night club, cars haven't been announced too.

Sorry, don't buy that. If I were building a game like this I would be doing the exact opposite, regardless of rules, to what EA are doing. I'm not even asking them to announce what they're doing for future content. Right now, I don't even care what it is. I'm not buying it either way. I just want to know about toddlers. They're a basic feature, not something that comes with an EP so it's not exactly a surprise is it?

--T

During that same time frame another dev said they didn't want to "shoehorn" toddlers into the game. I think people misunderstood the definition of shoehorn, which means trying to fit something into an inadequate space. People chose to think it meant, oh they'll get to it later, but for me it simply means that they never intended for toddlers to be in the game in the first place. And I certainly haven't seen any indication that that's going to change. For me that means the Sims ended at 3.

I take the same meaning from that as you. Although I do think they were supposed to be there. I just think they screwed up. Which is fine. Tell us, and I'll move on. Maybe with TS4, maybe without it but we have a right to know.

--T

ETA: rephrase. Said 'we' instead of 'I'
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member

--T

Sorry, don't buy that. If I were building a game like this I would be doing the exact opposite, regardless of rules, to what EA are doing. I'm not even asking them to announce what they're doing for future content. Right now, I don't even care what it is. I'm not buying it either way. I just want to know about toddlers. They're a basic feature, not something that comes with an EP so it's not exactly a surprise is it?

--T

I take the same meaning from that as you. Although I do think they were supposed to be there. I just think they screwed up. Which is fine. Tell us, and I'll move on. Maybe with TS4, maybe without it but we have a right to know.

--T

ETA: rephrase. Said 'we' instead of 'I'

I agree.

As for they haven't announced anything in advance? Not true. We know months ahead about pools and careers when they gave us ghosts. So that sets the precedent.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yes, a couple of months, which is not that much in advance. We learned about ghost/pools/careers at the beginning of october and careers came mid december. That's why I think it's unlikely toddlers will come in the next weeks, because then we would have most likely heard about it.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    Yes, a couple of months, which is not that much in advance. We learned about ghost/pools/careers at the beginning of october and careers came mid december. That's why I think it's unlikely toddlers will come in the next weeks, because then we would have most likely heard about it.

While i agree with your conclusion, they also didn't tell us about family trees in advance. I think it's just a change of policy.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    marcellala wrote: »

While i agree with your conclusion, they also didn't tell us about family trees in advance. I think it's just a change of policy.
    That makes a lot of sense. And it would explain why we were only just hearing about the SP a few days before their release.
  • Options
    You have a point, well at least they haven't announced a dozen of singles party EPs for the three next years, that would be far more worrying than silence in my mind :)
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member

Hum,,,,well wonder why it is only the sims franchise then? EA touts their other games high and low for months before launch/SP/EP. The Sims must be special. Twitter is always tweeting something about the other games. :/
  • Options
    Terrylin wrote: »

Hum,,,,well wonder why it is only the sims franchise then? EA touts their other games high and low for months before launch/SP/EP. The Sims must be special. Twitter is always tweeting something about the other games. :/

Yes and even the sim gurus talk about the other games too!

I suspect what's going on is they don't know what direction they are going in next. It reminds me of SC2013 a lot and that's my biggest fear :(
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited June 2015

I suspect what's going on is they don't know what direction they are going in next. It reminds me of SC2013 a lot and that's my biggest fear :(

Personally,,,,I feel that they have had so much backlash that they don't want more. It boils down to, with the last two SP some of us are VERY disappointed that they are nothing but party related,,,that's it party, party, party. While feedback is given on not only family gameplay but also fixing long standing issues. I can see the trying to limit the outcry to a few days before the release of an EP/GP/SP as to have angry feedback flood here/FB/Twitter. Grandma always did say if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all! Think that kinda fits here. Maxis has nothing we want to hear so they are not saying anything at all!

eta; They know what direction they were going,,,,it just didn't work out that well. Now where do you go??? To me it is looking more and more like the same direction SC2013 went. That game wasn't dead, it could have been built on. But instead they shut it down forever! Just because people were disappointed in their idea and direction,,,,Vision!
  • Options

Personally,,,,I feel that they have had so much backlash that they don't want more. It boils down to, with the last two SP some of us are VERY disappointed that they are nothing but party related,,,that's it party, party, party. While feedback is given on not only family gameplay but also fixing long standing issues. I can see the trying to limit the outcry to a few days before the release of an EP/GP/SP as to have angry feedback flood here/FB/Twitter. Grandma always did say if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all! Think that kinda fits here. Maxis has nothing we want to hear so they are not saying anything at all!

eta; They know what direction they were going,,,,it just didn't work out that well. Now where do you go??? To me it is looking more and more like the same direction SC2013 went. That game wasn't dead, it could have been built on. But instead they shut it down forever! Just because people were disappointed in their idea and direction,,,,Vision!

It's a shame. You would think it would be a compliment that people care enough to literally beg to be included. It means they did it right before for those particular players before or the demand wouldn't be there.

They should be proud of their entire body of work. It doesn't sit well if they want to pretend the last 15 years didn't exist. They should be proud and building on their legacy.
  • Options
    For the first time, I'm actually dreading TS5 (if we get it). It's obvious EA don't care, I'm sorry, but caring is actally telling people not to worry and showing them something to reassure them that everything is fine. Are EA doing that? Nope. I actually had a dream last night that I saw an ad for "The Sims 4 Wild Party Stuff!", then I walked a bit futher and I saw a TS5 ad, I can only remember briefly, but on the ad there were Sims dancing. For a bit after I woke up, I didn't know it was a dream, and only realised when I saw nothing about it on the forums. I didn't know it was a dream, as I wouldn't be all that shocked if something like it really did happen.

All of the TS4 dlc has gradually gotten more single Sim oriented.

Outdoor Retreat:
    Okay, we could take our kids camping, but it lacked in so many ways. I would have loved for us to be able to take the babies with us, and put them in a baby swing on the sand while the rest of the family swam in the lake. Or have a baby carrier (I forgot what it's called but a sling thingy that the mom wears and the baby goes in it) if the family wanted to do other sports like canoeing. Vacations are a perfect time for family bonding, campfires were nice, but simply not enough.

Get To Work
    I know this is a career oriented expansion, so there is some single play bound to be involved. Every playstyle deserves some attention and at first I figured "okay, it's the goal oriented players and single play players turn to get an expansion for them", so I just let it go, thinking it would be ours or anothers play styles turn next. Sadly, this was not the case.

Luxury Party

I actually think I died inside, (in a bad way). Another single Sim expansion?

Perfect Patio

See what I said for luxury party, I thought the same for this.

I won't be surprised if we do get "The Sims 4 Wild Party stuff" next.
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I'm holding onto one final hope that maybe they'll tell us something positive at Gamescon. Probably crazy optimism but I'm just not ready yet to give up entirely. If they continue with their wall of silence and/or they feature nothing but Sims Freeplay at Gamescon, then I guess that's a pretty clear indication of what things are going to be like from now on.

I have nothing against Sims Freeplay. I played it for a week around 2 years ago, it just doesn't fit my play style. I just wish they'd put as much work into a game for us Dollhousers, instead of trying to force us to play their vision. I've been satisfied playing my own vision for 15 years now, I don't need someone who clearly doesn't understand sandbox games to school me on how I should be playing. That's what I love so much about Sims 2. Each player's "vision" can be as different as the next, it doesn't matter. There's plenty of toys for all interests in the Sims 2 toybox. That's what I wanted for Sims 4, the best of 2 & 3 put together with a couple neat new concepts.

I guess I'll just maintain a holding pattern until Gamescon.
  • Options
    I'm holding onto one final hope that maybe they'll tell us something positive at Gamescon. Probably crazy optimism but I'm just not ready yet to give up entirely. If they continue with their wall of silence and/or they feature nothing but Sims Freeplay at Gamescon, then I guess that's a pretty clear indication of what things are going to be like from now on.

I have nothing against Sims Freeplay. I played it for a week around 2 years ago, it just doesn't fit my play style. I just wish they'd put as much work into a game for us Dollhousers, instead of trying to force us to play their vision. I've been satisfied playing my own vision for 15 years now, I don't need someone who clearly doesn't understand sandbox games to school me on how I should be playing. That's what I love so much about Sims 2. Each player's "vision" can be as different as the next, it doesn't matter. There's plenty of toys for all interests in the Sims 2 toybox. That's what I wanted for Sims 4, the best of 2 & 3 put together with a couple neat new concepts.

Gamescom is going to be descision time for me. If they announce a positive change, I'll stick around. If not, if it's just more party or single Sim stuff, that'll be my ticket to walk away from the game I have loved for 14 years. (I saw 14 years, for obvious reasons).
  • Options
    I have great expectations for Gamescom too, we will probably hear about the next EP and it will be the 1 year anniversary. I sure hope I will be pleasantly surprised !
  • Options
    For the first time, I'm actually dreading TS5 (if we get it). It's obvious EA don't care, I'm sorry, but caring is actally telling people not to worry and showing them something to reassure them that everything is fine. Are EA doing that? Nope. I actually had a dream last night that I saw an ad for "The Sims 4 Wild Party Stuff!", then I walked a bit futher and I saw a TS5 ad, I can only remember briefly, but on the ad there were Sims dancing. For a bit after I woke up, I didn't know it was a dream, and only realised when I saw nothing about it on the forums. I didn't know it was a dream, as I wouldn't be all that shocked if something like it really did happen.

All of the TS4 dlc has gradually gotten more single Sim oriented.

Outdoor Retreat:
    Okay, we could take our kids camping, but it lacked in so many ways. I would have loved for us to be able to take the babies with us, and put them in a baby swing on the sand while the rest of the family swam in the lake. Or have a baby carrier (I forgot what it's called but a sling thingy that the mom wears and the baby goes in it) if the family wanted to do other sports like canoeing. Vacations are a perfect time for family bonding, campfires were nice, but simply not enough.

Get To Work
    I know this is a career oriented expansion, so there is some single play bound to be involved. Every playstyle deserves some attention and at first I figured "okay, it's the goal oriented players and single play players turn to get an expansion for them", so I just let it go, thinking it would be ours or anothers play styles turn next. Sadly, this was not the case.

Luxury Party

I actually think I died inside, (in a bad way). Another single Sim expansion?

Perfect Patio

See what I said for luxury party, I thought the same for this.

I won't be surprised if we do get "The Sims 4 Wild Party stuff" next.

Just adding on, I think I lost interest in this game a while ago, I'm just waiting for an announcment that deep down I KNOW I will never hear...
  • Options

I feel exactly the same way.
  • Options
    mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    edited June 2015
    You need to face the reality that our play style does not fit the target audience that this game was designed for. Remember what it started as and that screams a whole different play style. It's their game and their vision. I think that the decision they made has bite them in the behind, but I'm also sure that they are going to keep pushing forward with that vision. I have given up on sims 4 and no matter what they do will not add it back on my HD, EVER! Unless any future sims games are heads and shoulders above all the previous sims the series will stop with sims 3 for this family. If they want my money, they will cater to me, not the other way around.
  • Options
    mmoblitz wrote: »
    You need to face the reality that our play style does not fit the target audience that this game was designed for. Remember what it started as and that screams a whole different play style. It's their game and their vision. I think that the decision they made has bite them in the behind, but I'm also sure that they are going to keep pushing forward with that vision. I have given up on sims 4 and no matter what they do will not add it back on my HD, EVER! Unless any future sims games are heads and shoulders above all the previous sims the series will stop with sims 3 for this family. If they want my money, they will cater to me, not the other way around.

I respect your position completely. I sometimes feel daft for holding that little bit of hope, but its diminishing every single day. Especially with the silence. That does nothing but further damage and hurt in an already upsetting situation.
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    I really want to have hope for family life in the sims 4. There can still be fun things in the game, but its not complete unless I can bond with family sims. And I actually enjoy going through a sims life from birth to death like I do in the other 2 games. Otherwise it will never add up and will never be complete in my eyes.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    mmoblitz wrote: »

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that I should face that reality. I'm just not ready to make that final jump. We all go through that process on our own timetable, there's no right or wrong. We've all got that "had enough" threshold, it's just wired differently for everyone. My "had enough" will be Gamescon. That's what works for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top