Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    SweetPea wrote: »
    I'm not sure if anyone else has a problem identifying the location of doors and windows when placing rooms you have picked up and moved or on placing premade rooms bit I'd love if they could make them clearer just for placement!

@SweetPea I don't work with the styled rooms myself, but it was easy to hop in game and see what you're talking about. I think that it's a very good request, and I've added it to our index.

Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The following are Build Mode requests and bugs that I have removed from the index tonight in order to do some housecleaning. I don't want to lose track of them though, so I'm posting them here. These should all be resolved; if you find that one of them isn't, please let me know.
    • 10/12/14 Enable column stacking (requested by DippyDesigns) <-- can do with bb.moveobjects
    • 10/12/14 Allow us to place ceiling lights on the top floor of an open story area. <-- can do with bb.moveobjects
    • 10/24/14 Let us place columns on diagonal corners (requested by aquilifer) <-- can do with bb.moveobjects
    • 11/8/14 Allow us to put water emitters in pools (or give us new water emitters that will work in pools) (requested by RyeCris16) <-- can do with bb.moveobjects
    • 11/15/14 Let us place water emitters (with color options) on terrain or floor tiles. <-- can do with bb.moveobjects
    • 10/26/14 Let columns and other non-interactive objects intersect with roofs. <-- now works with bb.moveobjects :)
    • 10/26/14 Let roof heights be adjusted down closer to windows. <-- now works with bb.moveobjects :)
    • Allow windows and other non-interactive décor on walls by stairs. <-- now works with bb.moveobjects :)
    • More slots on counters and other surfaces or better yet, enable free placement on surfaces. <-- now works with bb.moveobjects :)
    • Add option to set decor to non-interactive so it can be shifted, resized, etc. <-- no longer necessary since we have bb.moveobjects
    • 10/17/14 Add ability to turn off auto placement of objects in the same manner as with counters/cabinets (requested by sarahewhy) <-- no longer necessary since we have bb.moveobjects
    • 10/17/14 Allow shelves to hold more objects; some 1 tile objects fit and others won't. It would be nice if some shelves could hold 2 tile objects as well (requested by HessethRan) <-- no longer necessary as we can cheat them on there with bb.moveobjects
    • 10/26/14 Let us place clutter on pedestal sinks and toilet tops. We should at least be able to place soap on a sink! <-- and now we can with bb.moveobjects! :)
    • 11/15/14 Let us place decor on walls oriented at 90 degrees to a door. <-- now possible using bb.moveobjects :)
    • 11/15/14 Let us place curtains around/over doors. <-- now possible using bb.moveobjects :)
    • 10/2/14 Add gallery links or item codes in order for downloaders to get directly to specific builds (requested by hmsdrco2001) <-- The new online gallery satisfies this request.
    • Exterior and interior lighting affecting color hues in strange ways (see pg. 4) <-- I haven't experienced this for a few builds, so I think it must have gotten tweaked.
    • Simple Wooden Double Door frame graphics glitch (see pg. 3) <-- fixed in the 12/16/14 patch
    • Window Color on upper stories graphics glitch (see pg. 4) >-- appears to have been fixed
    • Columns and windows can be placed together when the column is placed on left side but not on the right side of the window when on a diagonal (see pg. 5) <-- no longer an issue when using bb.moveobjects
    • Return Desklight graphics glitch (see pg. 5) <-- fixed in the 12/16/14 patch
    • Graphics glitches when stacking diagonal half gabled roofs (see pg. 5) <-- appears to have been fixed in the December patch
    • Sunny Day Torchiere lamp bug (see pg. 6) <-- fixed in December patch
    • Enlarged shelves preventing placement of objects on the other side of a wall (see pg. 6) <-- no longer an issue since we now have bb.moveobjects
    • Prima Computer doesn't show as additional content in the Gallery (see pg. 7). <--Now fixed
    • Allow windows and other non-interactive décor on walls by stairs. <-- now works with bb.moveobjects :)
    • The space a bar requires should be slightly reduced (see pg. 7). <-- No longer an issue with bb.moveobjects
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    • 10/12/14 Enable column stacking (requested by DippyDesigns) <-- can do with bb.moveobjects

I want to point this one out. As I mentioned in your Testing MOO thread last December, we can stack columns with MOO. However, it looks weird if you want to stack each other with different wall heights. :p

MOO_Problem_3.png
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • Options
    @RyeCris16 I see what you're saying. Let's request columns that scale to wall height.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Here are my requests and bug reports after completing my latest build:

Requests:
    • Add an option to hide or show roofs.
    • Please add smaller rocks.
    • Consider adding 1-2 *shorter* levels to wall height. If this went along with applying levels modularly (i.e. to a particular room, not across the whole lot), it would enable split levels. As you can see in the image below, there is plenty of room for the wall height to bump down 1-2 notches (from the current lowest wall height) without sims bumping their heads on the ceiling.
      wallheightrequest_zps15371e4c.jpg
    • I would really like to see the return of arched bridges, like those we used to be able to make using CFE.
      arch-bridge-1346494065jdc.jpg

Yet I don't want CFE to return. Instead of that, how about adding a bridge toolset similar to the roofing tools? I envision controlling the bridge's width and height as well as how concave or convex it is (obviously within reason so that sims could route properly and look normal when crossing it). Not only could you build arched bridges that way, but you could also build hanging bridges, like the ones I built in TS3 using CFE (very painfully) - see image below.
      frontext.jpg
    • Let us height adjust the flat roof (when it's added - I trust it will be :D ) in the same manner as half gables, so that we could have the effect of a half level but with a flat roof, not a sloping one.
    • Let us use the MOO height adjustment on roofs (i.e. 9 and 0). We could achieve some nifty stacking effects if we could do that.
    • I would really like to see some corner counters that are flattened outward instead of cutting inward (see image below):
      kitchencornerpiece_zps295fc750.jpg
      Yes, you can MOO them into place as I've done in the shot above, but then it becomes unusable space - can't put a sink on it, etc. The Harbinger Counter has pieces that can work like this, but it is the only counter style that does, and you can't put a sink on it either.
    • Speaking of which, I would like to see more pieces, such as dressers, desks, stereos, shelves etc. sized to fit in corners:
      cornerfurniture_zpsae6b8577.jpg
    • I would love the addition of a log cabin wall style that actually has the rounded texture to look like logs. What we got was very flat and looks more liked striped wall paper to me:
      badsiding2_zpse124ae8a.jpg
      I worked around this in my latest build by using MOO'd objects as siding, but obviously that is far from ideal!
      extbackday1_zpscf56957a.jpg
    • Please add stone columns. It would be great if they were about the size and with the same styles as the Outdoor Retreat Odor Killer Trashcan which I stacked to simulate columns (see picture above).
    • I want the ability to see under and place objects at ground level under the foundation again (we had this in TS3).
    • Let us freely rotate wall sculptures (those defined under build mode). Currently, we can only use <> to position them. I would like 360 degree access.

Bugs/Glitches
    • With MOO if you try to span levels with windows, there is a graphics glitch:
      windowsglitch_zpsff4c46e4.jpg
    • There is a graphics glitch with the half gabled roof when you have two pieces placed side by side (from the top they look like a single piece) and the roof is exposed to the room below:
      halfgablestouchingfineabove_zps1bbb22f7.jpg
      halfgablestouchingbiggap_zps5e530e78.jpg
    • Graphically, the ceiling for a level appears to be lower than it should be - this is evident when flooring for an area above a room is partially removed. It makes open story areas look pretty ugly:
      ceilingshouldbehigher_zps6cf000ba.jpg
    • Bug or Feature? Wall lights don't actually light up the wall, but other types of lights (paced there with MOO) do:
      uglyroofinside_zps4e53f9f2.jpg
      walllighting_zps4ff7f81f.jpg
    • Graphics glitch: the wall edge sticks out where the wall connects to stairs, and it looks bad:
      unsightlystairsseam_zps51e5dfd6.jpg
    • Windowbox décor objects (in the Indoor Plants category) placed outside and not against a wall (via MOO) drop to ground level even though their default height is elevated (I think this goes along with the MOO Height Adjustment issue reported in the Testing MOO thread).
  • Options
    k3okik3oki Posts: 107 Member
    edited February 2015
    @k3oki It turns out that we didn't already have a request specifically for enhanced split levels, so I have added it as an item to the index. When it comes to attics, I think I need more clarification on what you want. You could in theory build an attic now if your home is two levels, because you can use the third level for the attic. Are you looking for more levels (we've requested them) or a new, specific type of room that would be designated as an attic space? Any images that might help illustrate what you'd expect to see?

@BryonyRae
    By attics (penthouses) I mean, creating a room that uses a part of the roof as a wall, to achieve functional rooms with these shapes:

4kj7yld.jpg

To achieve this we need a new roof/room type or upgrade the existing ones with these features:

1- Roof "walls" needs to be independent from each other. Right now, there's no way to paint or delete a single wall created by the roof tool.

Z77BteP.jpg

2- Roofs also needs ajustable height for the walls, easily by adding height arrows on the sides and/or adding the arrows in the lower side of the roof and wall height buttons in the other side.

H8ke9Xz.jpg

j93Z2vP.jpg

3- Roofs are always visible in buy/build mode unless you use the “no walls view”, this needs to be changed in order to paint walls, place wall decorations, etc.

BPQHjKA.jpg

4- Placeable Windows on the roofs

XKQtkdS.jpg?1

Hope this clarify all :smile:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    @RyeCris16 I see what you're saying. Let's request columns that scale to wall height.
    This request is truly a great idea! Thanks for adding this to your list. :)

OK, I have only one request (that I remember) I want to throw in:
    * I'm not sure if it has been already requested, but we want a half-grid or free-grid placement on doors and windows.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    k3oki wrote: »
    By attics (penthouses) I mean, creating a room that uses a part of the roof as a wall, to achieve functional rooms with these shapes:

1- Roof "walls" needs to be independent from each other. Right now, there's no way to paint or delete a single wall created by the roof tool.

2- Roofs also needs ajustable height for the walls, easily by adding height arrows on the sides and/or adding the arrows in the lower side of the roof and wall height buttons in the other side.

3- Roofs are always visible in buy/build mode unless you use the “no walls view”, this needs to be changed in order to paint walls, place wall decorations, etc.

4- Placeable Windows on the roofs

@k3oki Thanks! That definitely helped clarify your request. We do already have #1 and #3 in the index. Your #2 is actually a good alternative to my request for the addition of a flat roof that we could height adjust (in terms of thickness). I think that Maxis probably could tweak that half gable pretty easily to do as you're suggesting; then we could simply use that as our flat roof piece. As for #4, I'll request it, but I can see how it would be hard for them because roof angles can change so much and windows are (at least for now) stationary objects that cannot be adjusted in terms of their angle. It's almost like they'd have to make a specific object in the style of a roof with windows pre-placed, and then you'd blend actual roof into it on the sides, top, etc...

@RyeCris16 Yes, that was requested. It would definitely be helpful!

• Options
    rabidkitty07rabidkitty07 Posts: 416 Member
    Glass roofing for greenhouses.
    My Origin ID: rabidkitty7

• Options
    Thank you, @rabidkitty07. Can't believe we didn't have that in the index already! :o We need glass ceilings too!
  • Options
    CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    edited February 2015
    [*] Graphics glitch: the wall edge sticks out where the wall connects to stairs, and it looks bad:
    unsightlystairsseam_zps51e5dfd6.jpg

In a similar vein, the wall of the stairs won't connect to the wall underneath it either:

tumblr_njdr06bzWb1s873l7o10_r1_1280.jpg

I can cover it up with a trim as you can see on the left side, but I don't want to use a trim in this build :( I know I'm not using the stairs as I'm supposed to, but come on, if they're giving us stairs with walls, then at least make them work :p And that still leaves me with the vertical gap.

I usually don't work with a lot of outdoor lights, but I did in my latest build and I found that they're pretty unreliable.

tumblr_njdr06bzWb1s873l7o9_r1_1280.jpg

This is simply one layer of those round lights on all the zigzags, but for some reason the left and right zigzag lights emit less light than the one in the middle. I had to layer lights in some places to even it out. And after changing some stuff in the interior, the outdoor lights changed in some other zigzags and I had to layer some more. Like I said, I usually don't use lights this way so I don't know if it's common, but it annoyed the hell out of me :p

And I know it's already in the index of the OP, but I just wanted to add another voice in favour of brighter lights! Trying to get some decent lighting in rooms, especially ones with the tallest wall height, is terrible. You have to add so many lights, multiple layers, it unecessarily drives up the cost.

I think that's all for now...

edit: OOPS nope got something else to whine about :p

tumblr_nkb169c9Z11s873l7o1_1280.jpg

Can we please get rid of that annoying standard grey trim that appears under balconies/'floating' rooms? Covering it up with another trim doesn't always work because the colour/pattern sometimes doesn't match or it simply doesn't fit the look you're going for. omg that right window is placed 1 mm too low this is going to haunt me forever
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Options
    @Cerrydd First of all, I had to LOL regarding your window placement comment - you sound like me! :D

Very inventive use of stairs there, and I'm sorry it doesn't wind up looking exactly as you might have liked. I don't get why they are so poorly aligned.

Regarding your lighting issue, did you by any chance try rotating the home on the lot to see if anything changes depending upon which way it faces? That might help us figure out if it's being affected by the ambient "night" light. It sounds like you did observe an effect from interior light. Have you tried plopping a sim on the lot, turning off all lights, and then only turning on the exterior ones? That would help to confirm if it's an issue of interior light affecting exterior (beyond what it should).

That trim has always bugged me too, and I sort of had it lumped into the ceiling recolor request, but I think stating it as a specific request couldn't hurt!
  • Options
    hmsdrco2001hmsdrco2001 Posts: 818 Member
    I think it's probably public knowledge that EA/Maxis holds occasional conference calls and community days with Sims fans and fan sites to disseminate information about upcoming developments for The Sims. One such community day is coming up for the new Get to Work expansion pack. I am not participating in that community day, but I did participate in the February conference call announcing the expansion pack. Perhaps, they invited me because of the interview I did with VentureBeat. Who knows?

Regardless, the production team asked for feedback from everyone on the game so far. I couldn't get a word in, and perhaps that's good, but they invited us to send feedback by email as well. I really wanted to voice my frustration with the loss of critical creative tools in the game--restrictions I think are undoubtedly affecting the reception of The Sims 4 in the Sims community, especially the creative community. I don't know if I'll ever be invited to another such conference call or community day (and frankly, that's of no concern to me), so I figured this was my last chance to tell them my concerns--hopefully in a constructive and articulate manner.

So I emailed them my thoughts a few days later. I know my thoughts might not reflect yours, but I figured I'd share anyways. I tried to limit my discussion to three major points. But I also mentioned this incredibly helpful and productive thread in my summary. If these thoughts resonate with you, please feel free to share or comment. I'm just one small voice, but I'd love if we as a community could make some sort of difference and impact on the future of The Sims.

I'm attaching screenshots here, but here's a link to the actual file if you'd like to translate the PDF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uvd0xp4d5yxfwx/FeedbackBillSchloss.pdf?dl=0. You can also find everything at my blog: http://billsimnyc.blogspot.com/2015/03/questioning-future-of-sims.html

Page1_zpsz6phuwtj.jpg

Page2_zpsxri1avr5.jpg

Page3_zpshnmkykkd.jpg

Page4_zps1sogd5wh.jpg

Page5_zpsm0gixldw.jpg

Page6_zpspoeztlks.jpg

Page7_zpsetlxyvmr.jpg

Page8_zpsuicq3mcv.jpg

Page9_zpsd1rskyub.jpg

Page10_zpslqo9ozt8.jpg

Page11_zpsb6nezucu.jpg

Page12_zpsyqxozhia.jpg

Page13_zpsbjzhvejo.jpg

Page14_zpsnlwsoise.jpg
  • Options
    @hmsdrco2001 Love your feedback article - so thoughtful and well written! I'm glad you sent it to EA, and thank you for sharing it with us. You certainly touched on some major points, and I appreciate that you pointed EA to the thread as well.

For me, building in TS4 has been such a combination of highs and lows; it's like we've been treated to a tantalizing glimpse of what could be a truly evolved toolset when/if fully realized, but I have always mourned some of the trade-offs. I hope that they've considered what we've said in this thread as well as what you and other builders have directly told them. It's a shame to see someone as talented as you turn away from the game!

I also want to briefly touch on your points re: terraforming and CFE. I was pretty clear in stating that I didn't want CFE back when I created this thread, and frankly, I've always been surprised that no one jumped in to debate it. :o However, while I'm not a big fan of CFE, I would definitely like to see some sort of tool added that would allow us to create hills, valleys, and various elevations to the land. It's just when it comes to the structures themselves that I'd rather see other ways to add height, split levels, and nesting within terrain than CFE, and I think that the roofing system (with the addition of more types, styles, and colors) already allows for many of the looks that we could formerly only get with CFE. Whatever they decide to do on this particular issue, I just want to plead that they do it with a lot of QA. The introduction of MOO has been something of a mess, and that was a cheat that when used carefully, worked pretty flawlessly in TS3. I am terrified that if they bring a CFE cheat into TS4, it will be even more painful than it was in TS3!

At any rate, thank you for stopping in @hmsdrco2001, and I hope that eventually they will add enough back into build mode to get you interested and inspired again. We miss you!

• Options
    rabidkitty07rabidkitty07 Posts: 416 Member
    I was busy last night creating a sunken living room for a house I'm working on when the thought occurred to me. Stairs should wrap around outside and inside corners. So I guess I'm saying they need to be interlocking like you can do with counter tops and cabinets. They would look nicer and more seamless! :)
    My Origin ID: rabidkitty7

• Options
    CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    Hi, Ms Bry!! I am one to agree with you about CFE. It helped me create some really cool features in my builds, BUT it was usually more of a pain than a help. Floating ceiling tiles......hated those things.....♥♥
    But...having said that, I would really like some kind of terrain tool where I can raise and lower the ground. I detest flat landscaping. It is not natural. This game lacks so many things we had with Sims 3. Why couldn't they give us the best of both. CAS did slow my laptop, but only when I went overboard. We do need textures and the ability to change a color to match our creative style. MOO is a train wreck in Sims 4. Routing issues I can deal with, but items disappearing randomly is really annoying. It's the little codes here and there that have been overlooked, and those are usually the ones that make the game so hard to like. I LOVED building with Sims 3.......not so much with Sims 4. I know it's early, but we have took several steps back and it looks like EA/Origin will be playing catch up for a very long while. Sad...very Sad! I hope they look at your thread, Ms Bry! Some amazing Simmers have posted very good advise. Let's see if EA takes the bait. ;)
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1
  • Options
    gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    I would have to agree about CFE although I used it in Sims 3, but that doesn't mean I liked it. I would prefer if they came up with a way to adjust walls by room, preferable giving us an arrow, so we can just drag it to the height we want, like the roof height adjustment and if they could do the same thing with foundations that would be awesome!

I would also like to see scale-able dinner tables, so you can place it then drag it out to the size you want.

I just have to say that I have heard a lot of people complaining about Sims 4's restrictions, However I have to admit that some of the new features are excellent. Being able to pick up a room and move it or grabbing a room and changing the size without having to tear down walls and building new ones. The roofing tool is better, we just need more types. Being able to move the whole house is great. Adding a foundation after the entire has been built is awesome, just need more control over it and be able to use the wall treatments on it, instead of being restricted to a few styles.
  • Options
    Hello again Bry, sorry to jump to your topic but:

The Sims 4: Get to Work is very exciting for us! :smiley:
    And just to let you know, basements are likely to return as it was shown in the retail store trailer *woot woot*: :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HrNTk670z8
  • Options
    lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    I have to say I couldn't of thought of a better list my self! I realize it's so hard to not make comparisons with the sims3 and things like CASt which I love and miss so much in the sims 4. That being said I would love if they added more patterns to walls floors and furnishings. I feel like everything is so plain. Where are the polka dots, chevrons, stripes, and just fun and funky patterns? I need patterns and more yellow would be great like doors and shutters. And, what is with the lighting? It's so crazy how I can have 3 of the same curtains (or anything else for that matter) in the same room but they all looking different colors? It's just bland I think. Half walls are a must! I never realized how much I used them in the Sims3 until I couldn't in the Sims4. Adjusting terrain would be wonderful even just a little. everything is so flat lol More stairs types and ladders would open up so many more design styles. I would also love more medium sized rugs. I feel like they are either HUGE or tiny and most don't even fit in my rooms! I do like a lot about the Sims4 building options but like many other I feel like so much is missing. Thanks for giving us a place to voice our options on this :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• Options
    @rabidkitty07 Are there any images you could post that would illustrate what you mean? I'm having a hard time picturing it...

@gmcrozier That's a neat idea about the tables! I'll add it.

Yes, @RyeCris16, I am cautiously optimistic about the expansion, but for me, a lot hinges on whether they finally enable the transfer of crafted items, collectibles, and debug items. I would really enjoy building an art gallery and/or photography studio, but not if the art and photos I put into it won't transfer. I'm definitely interested in how they implement basements, especially when you've got a house on foundations...
    You're welcome, @lisa17ann, and yes, new patterns are desperately needed. I imagine we're all getting to the point where we're sick of the same old choices, many of which don't go well together. It was good to read that @ruthlesskk has been keeping the pressure on Maxis about this; we've been asking for more options since the game was released, and I hope they're coming soon!

• Options
    bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    edited March 2015
    In Sims 3, there was a lounge chair that when you put it next to another identical chair, it would change into a 2 seater lounge. If you position the seats right, you could make a modular or L-shaped lounge (without the need to use MOO). I would like to see EA/Maxis bring that lounge chair back. It gave you the option of making a larger lounge if you had large families - especially if you didn't want to have to put in 2 x 3 seater lounges etc. (I checked and didn't see this mentioned on the list on the first post of this thread.)
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• Options
    @kamb1403 We would definitely love to get some modular seating back! It is on the list under Decorating, but I called it sectional furniture - I'll add modular to the description too so it's more recognizeable. Thanks!

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I am very excited about the latest patch! Maxis addressed several of our requests, so I have removed them from the index. Here's what has been improved:
    • Mailboxes were added
    • Debug objects now transfer (although, like MOO in general, they are not completely consistent)
    • More levels were added - we now have 4 above ground and 2 below.
    • Basements were added.
    • We can now place the Garden Planter Box on flooring.
    • Collectibles and in-game crafted items now transfer.
    • The "Original By" designator now sticks to the uploaded lot unless it is bulldozed.*
    • The filter for un-owned objects set to false by default now.
    I also removed my request for more very small décor objects. Of course, we can always use more décor of varying sizes, but now that we have access to debug objects and they transfer, there are tons of tiny objects in there.

I still need to review our bug/glitch list and will start on that tomorrow, but for now, the above additions are great news for us! :) To @SimGuruHouts and all of the gurus involved with making these happen, thank you so much!

* Regarding the "Original By" designator sticking - this conclusion is based upon my individual testing. I have been unable post patch to "take over" a lot by any means I can come up with. I hope that the rest of you will try everything you can think of - I am crossing my fingers that it's rock solid though. It will make this one the best patch ever, at least as far as I'm concerned! :D

• Options
    DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    We should have predefined basement rooms like with normal rooms, square, octagonal, triangle. Why can we only build square ones? Pools can be triangle shaped...
  • Options
    Can anyone who deals with complex roofing please check as to whether you still get the "Wall Does Not Exist" error?