Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @hirondelle09 you may already know this, but you can place friezes by wall lengths (vs. entire room) if you hold down SHIFT while placing. We do have the request in for full manual control of friezes and edging though.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    When new worlds are released (or if the existing ones are modified at some point), I would like to see some 30x20 lots where the longer dimension faces the front of the lot. There is one 30x20 lot in Willow Creek that *looks* like it should be oriented with the longer side facing the front, but when you go into it in build mode, you can see that it's the short end. We have 40x30's that face both ways; we should have the same option for 30x20's.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    edited December 2014
    Here's my latest set of feedback. The good news is, I think we have already uncovered the majority of bugs/glitches and have figured out most of our "want-to-haves" because my list is not nearly as long as it has been in the past. :p

Suggestions:
    • Add hanging plants (really miss these from TS3)
    • Let us select a color/style for the top edge of pools (or use the fountain style tool).
    • When building with the flat shapes, it would be helpful if we could have a 1 tile square flat piece to select. I often find myself placing the existing 3x3 flat square and then downsizing it. On a small lot, finding the space to plop it down without connecting to other rooms or flats can be a challenge.
    • Please add fencing that matches Galvanized Horizontal Railing and Horizontal Aluminum Railing Systems.
    • If we are not going to be able to select our own Gallery pictures, please at least improve the Gallery camera. For instance, 30x20 lots get cut off in their Gallery shots, unless you build the structure back a good distance from the front of the lot or place a tree at the front of the lot. Here's a visual example of what I'm talking about:

Base Gallery Shot:
      30x20cutoff_zps2c2e4f62.jpg

Gallery Shot After Placing Tree:
      30x20withtree_zps85760824.jpg
      I have not found any other objects capable of causing the camera to pan back like this, so thank goodness for trees at least, but I don't think many people know about this trick and are often just stuck with images that cut off their lots.

Also, it would be so helpful if we could set the camera's zoom and at least select the angle too. Most of the Gallery shots are taken from more of a high angle like this:
      galleryshot_zps9a757279.jpg

And many builds would benefit greatly if the shot were taken from a lower angle like this:
      wishgalleryshot_zpsc565136d.jpg

Glitches
    • The Prima computer does not show as additional content in Gallery lots, which makes it confusing for downloaders when they get the message that an object has been deleted (because they don't have the bonus item). It would be nice if that message would at least provide the name of the object that was deleted.
    • The Falling Water Modern Fountain clips beneath flooring on 2nd floor:
      fallingwtrftnprob_zps1b30fb74.jpg
    • If you create a diagonal pool that intersects foundation, the part of the pool which intersects can't be painted and sticks out. this occurs when using a thinner foundation, like Firmament Foundation. Thicker foundations cover the glitch.
      pooledgesticksout_zpsf9e5966f.jpg
    • Bars require too much space between them if you want to place them such that you can have one bar opposite the other; for some reason, they're extending slightly past the one tile collision box you'd expect:
      barprob1_zps4e723191.jpg

You then have to move the opposite bar back a touch more which won't let it seamlessly connect with other counter pieces in the arrangement:
      barprob2_zps9d40ac47.jpg

edited December 2014
    So we now have the MOO patch in our hot little hands (I hear there are careers too, but I'm not sure :p ), and it has opened a whole new world for us as builders! Very exciting day, and I want to thank @SimGuruHouts and his team for gathering our feedback and providing us with this wonderful tool! To use MOO, turn your cheats on and then type bb.moveobjects. As a bonus, we can also adjust object heights by selecting the object and pressing 9 (to go up) and 0 (to go down).

I have been doing a lot of testing today with the help of other builders and have uncovered a few caveats that you need to be aware of:
    1. MOO'd stuff transfers (yay)! However, as with enlarged objects, in order to preserve MOO'd objects, downloaders need to place the lot in Build Mode, not Manage Worlds. If placed from Manage Worlds, all MOO'd objects that overlap will be obliterated.
    2. In order to preserve enlarged objects that have been MOO'd to overlap other objects, the downloader needs to have MOO turned on when they place the lot. After placement, they should be able to turn it off and play normally. <-- Still not 100% on this. Have had variable test results.
    3. Wall objects like mirrors can be adjusted up but not down when placed on a wall. If you want to lower their height, you will have to actually place the object first and then the wall.
    4. Doors and windows are still constrained to be placed centered on their wall segment.
    5. Debug objects still don't transfer.
    6. Columns still cannot be freely placed (but they can be floated :D ).

I'm sure there's a ton more to be discovered, so as you work with various objects and try new things in your builds, do let us know what works and what doesn't. I have updated the index post for this thread and have used strikethrough to indicate the various requests that have been fulfilled by the addition of this cheat (several!). In addition, I've noted that a couple of graphical glitches were fixed. Please take a look at the post and see if I've missed anything. In a week or so, I will be removing the items which have been fixed or are no longer necessary, so if you don't agree on any of them, let me know. I still have more testing to do on some of the bugs/glitches and will do another update if I find any more that are fixed.

Happy building, everyone!
    Post edited by BryonyRae on
  • follyfootfollyfoot Posts: 3,450 Member
    Thank you so much Bry for this information. :) Looking forward to building with MOO again :):) Folly
  • KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    BryonyRae, thanks so much for all your hard work on this; so nice to be able to read this thread and know that you've tested what will work with the latest patch!
    edited December 2014
    You're very welcome, @follyfoot and @Kelleygirl. I used to be a developer at one point and spent a lot of time on QA, so the truth is I look forward to all of the testing and discovery that comes with a new patch. Nostalgia, I guess. :p Glad if it helps anyone!
  • BakieBakie Posts: 279 Member
    BryonyRae wrote:
    3. Wall objects like mirrors and paintings can be adjusted up but not down when placed on a wall. If you want to lower their height, you will have to actually place the object first and then the wall.

I use ALT when placing paintings, this way you can place them anywhere you want. So both up and down too. ;)
    Want to make your own Custom Content for The Sims 4, but don't know how to start? Please visit my Youtube Channel for multiple English Spoken tutorials:
    <url="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrMuxltq5mlcMjf6h7qrKzQ">BakieGaming YouTube Channel</url>
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    So we now have the MOO patch in our hot little hands (I hear there are careers too, but I'm not sure :p ), and it has opened a whole new world for us as builders! Very exciting day, and I want to thank @SimGuruHouts and his team for gathering our feedback and providing us with this wonderful tool! To use MOO, turn your cheats on and then type bb.moveobjects. As a bonus, we can also adjust object heights by selecting the object and pressing 9 (to go up) and 0 (to go down).

I have been doing a lot of testing today with the help of other builders and have uncovered a few caveats that you need to be aware of:
    1. MOO'd stuff transfers (yay)! However, as with enlarged objects, in order to preserve MOO'd objects, downloaders need to place the lot in Build Mode, not Manage Worlds. If placed from Manage Worlds, all MOO'd objects that overlap will be obliterated.
    2. In order to preserve enlarged objects that have been MOO'd to overlap other objects, the downloader needs to have MOO turned on when they place the lot. After placement, they should be able to turn it off and play normally.
    3. Wall objects like mirrors and paintings can be adjusted up but not down when placed on a wall. If you want to lower their height, you will have to actually place the object first and then the wall.
    4. Doors and windows are still constrained to be placed centered on their wall segment.
    5. Debug objects still don't transfer.
    6. Columns still cannot be freely placed (but they can be floated :D ).

I'm sure there's a ton more to be discovered, so as you work with various objects and try new things in your builds, do let us know what works and what doesn't. I have updated the index post for this thread and have used strikethrough to indicate the various requests that have been fulfilled by the addition of this cheat (several!). In addition, I've noted that a couple of graphical glitches were fixed. Please take a look at the post and see if I've missed anything. In a week or so, I will be removing the items which have been fixed or are no longer necessary, so if you don't agree on any of them, let me know. I still have more testing to do on some of the bugs/glitches and will do another update if I find any more that are fixed.

Happy building, everyone!

Thx for this! Sadly this means I won't use MOO, as it will not stick for most users...
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    Thanks for the info Bry! I will certainly not be using MOO then if it is does not transfer! So sad that the debug items still does not tranfer too! :(
    I goofed on that, @Bakie. I'm not sure why I said paintings...they're fine. I think I did have the issue with another wall object besides mirrors, but I can't remember what it was now. Not a painting though. :p
    @DieterPrivate I wouldn't completely abstain from using it, Dieter. I think that, just as with enlarged objects, we just have to be sure we provide a little note to people that they need to place the lot in build mode (and in some cases advise that they have MOO on - I'm not a big fan of that one though). I've been doing that for a while already, as nearly ever build I've done utilizes enlarged objects, and I haven't had any complaints about it.
    @yanti68 It does transfer, yanti, it's mainly just placing lots from Manage Worlds that's a problem (as it has been in the past for enlarged objects).
  • aquiliferaquilifer Posts: 206 Member
    I tend to do drafts of buildings (or, more often, parts of buildings) on large lots, so I have lots of room to play around if I suddenly need to extend something 20 squares in any direction, or such. I also frequently build several versions of the same thing right next to each other, where I can compare them. For example, about half of the individual houses in the Medieval Fantasy Town started out as autonomous structures which later got positioned into place. The trouble with this, though, is that you can't just save a building (or part of a building) to your library on a large lot, and then open it up on a smaller lot. I have a suggestion for a solution, however.

I would like a temporary clipboard of sorts. I would like to be able to save anything that can be picked up with the "Move House" command to the clipboard, exit the lot, load a different lot, and paste the building from the clipboard into the new lot. Basically, I want to be able to use the "Move House" command to pick up something on one lot and set it down on another.

It seems like it should be a pretty simple bit of programming, since the game already retains this information when you use the "Move House" command.
  • sawdustsawdust Posts: 1,003 Member
    I just found this thread and read through the list on the first page so hope I didn't miss it but, unless I'm doing something wrong, if I have a room with two different wall coverings and I want to change one of them, holding shift down now covers the entire room not just the one type of covering I want to change. I find myself constantly having to redo my feature walls if I decide I want another wall covering on the rest of the room.

Also wall objects (which seems to include fireplaces) won't stop snapping to the walls even if you are holding down "alt". I wanted to place a toilet roll on a fence built next to the loo and had to demolish the wall first to make it place without snapping to the wall.
    @aquilifer I think a function like that would be very helpful, and I'll add your request. One thing you could try in the interim is to save your structures as rooms. If you do this before you've detailed out the interior (or temporarily remove interior walls), you can pretty much save each structure and then add it to a different lot from your Library. You do have to save each level of the structure separately too, but it's easy enough to place them back on top of each other on the new lot. Saving a room will not save any roofing, so that's probably the biggest negative of it. However, from my testing, saving a room does preserve other stuff on the exterior, like windows and shelves. So you could do a good bit of detailing on the exterior prior to saving it and not lose much of it.
    edited December 2014
    @sawdust Both great observations, and I will add them to the list. I'd noticed the wall styling a while back but I guess it didn't bug me enough to really make me take note :p . I often do multiple styles within a room, so I'm used to just handling individual wall segments. As for the wall objects snapping to the walls, yeah. That is really starting to bug me now that we have MOO - I want to just freely place those objects like any others, and I can't without removing nearby walls. And re-adding walls can sometimes remove MOO'd objects, I've discovered. It really starts bogging the whole process down! It would be great if holding the ALT key would disable that behavior.
    I'll add a couple of new requests I've got while I'm at it:
    • Add a diagonal flat piece (so we don't have to delete fences every time we want to do a diagonal)
    • Add windows that are the same height as the basic 1 tile doors, such as the Yes Siree Door!

Saving a room will not save any roofing, so that's probably the biggest negative of it.

Yes, 90% of why I want this is to be able to transfer roofing. (Surprise. . . .)
    aquilifer wrote: »
    Yes, 90% of why I want this is to be able to transfer roofing. (Surprise. . . .)

Yeah, I kind of figured that, but it was worth a shot. :p

Can anyone working on builds with complex roofing comment on whether they are still getting "Wall does not exist" messages? This is one of the bugs I'm checking on with the most recent patch. In my Rock N Roll House build, I experienced the bug and couldn't adjust walls in most of the structure after placing the roofs, but it appears that I can do so now. Progress?
  • bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    edited January 2015
    Post edited by bokylie1 on
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

• VolvenomVolvenom Posts: 61 Member
    Can anyone working on builds with complex roofing comment on whether they are still getting "Wall does not exist" messages? This is one of the bugs I'm checking on with the most recent patch. In my Rock N Roll House build, I experienced the bug and couldn't adjust walls in most of the structure after placing the roofs, but it appears that I can do so now. Progress?

I built a house just around the time of the patch and had troubles with a roof that was lower than the floor I needed to put walls in. I'm pretty sure it was after the patch, but I would like someone else to verify this please.

edited December 2014
    I haven't experienced this in a while, but I can't be completely sure whether that's because it has been fixed, or because my building process has adjusted to avoid it. Still, you're not likely to find any more complicated roofing.

I have, however, had some problems adjusting the eaves on one side of a roof section at a time. My game crashed three times when I was doing some roofing, all while I was adjusting the eaves independently. It doesn't happen every time by any means, since I had at least 30 roof pieces which needed adjusting, but my game never crashed before.
  • sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    Couldn't see it in the thread, maybe I am missing it...

I would love to have the ability to delete flooring on a curved (raised and not raised) foundation. You cannot do this on the curve, as it deletes the curve. If I want to have curved fencing on the corners of my lot (or wherever) I cannot have any height to my house foundation and I have to cover the tiles with that fake grass (if I have no foundation), which is off from the "real" grass in color... That being said, even being able to have multiple height foundations would be better than nothing.
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979