Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited January 2015
    Oooh! It's gonna be a long list.

OK, just to let you know, the gallery already identified the PRIMA computer that @cbrock7 had a problem on her lot, which I always forgot to tell you:
    Prima_Computer.png

I have another one request to follow:
    *Ladders that has same function as in The Sims 3: Island Paradise (yeah, don't have TS3, but I always research about that game), which I also forgot to mention that.
    Post edited by RyeCris16 on
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    I agree with pretty much everything that appears on the list, but here are my additions:

Objects:
    1. Some traditionally-styled doors for the tallest wall height. At present the only doors made for this wall height are modern in design, which is very limiting.
    2. A modern-styled, single-pane medium height window. The only modern styled single-pane windows are the full length one, the much smaller square one and the little privacy window.
    3. Some modern-styled fireplaces - actually, just more fireplaces altogether.
    4. Dormers, domes, towers/turrets and similar objects which could be placed on roofs, so as to create the illusion of additional levels. This would make it easier to live with the current three level limitation.

Building tools:
    The ability to select an object for placement and rotate the screen view simultaneously, without having to let go. It works with walls and flooring, but not with objects, and it is driving me nuts.
  • BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @sherrylynn8779 Yes, we have those two requests in the Index; they're both listed under General Building.

@RyeCris16 Okay, that is pretty weird. I just went into the Gallery to check, and it does *not* show me the Prima Computer on cbrock72's lot. Don't know why it would show for some viewers and not others... I will add your request for ladders.

@FKM100 We already have a request to "Make same style of doors and windows available at each level height" which would cover your traditional doors request. I will add the medium modern window request. We already have the request to "Add fire pits and electric fireplace styles," which I think would cover your fireplaces request. I will add your roof décor request. As for rotating the screen, you can do this if you are in TS3 camera mode - just hold down the middle mouse button and move the mouse to rotate. Have you tried that?
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited January 2015
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @sherrylynn8779 Yes, we have those two requests in the Index; they're both listed under General Building.

@RyeCris16 Okay, that is pretty weird. I just went into the Gallery to check, and it does *not* show me the Prima Computer on cbrock72's lot. Don't know why it would show for some viewers and not others... I will add your request for ladders.

@FKM100 We already have a request to "Make same style of doors and windows available at each level height" which would cover your traditional doors request. I will add the medium modern window request. We already have the request to "Add fire pits and electric fireplace styles," which I think would cover your fireplaces request. I will add your roof décor request. As for rotating the screen, you can do this if you are in TS3 camera mode - just hold down the middle mouse button and move the mouse to rotate. Have you tried that?

Thank you for your reply and for adding my requests. By the way, when I mentioned "domes" in my post, I actually meant to say "cupolas" (ie, not just domed roofs, which have already been requested), but I couldn't think of the right word at the time.

And thank you for your suggestion about rotating the screen with the mouse, but I can't use the mouse for rotation (although I am using TS3 camera controls), because I am already left-clicking it to hold and move the object that I want to place. I need to be able to use the < > keys, so that I can rotate the screen at the same time. This is really important when moving a wall object from one wall to the opposite wall, because you need to be able to rotate the screen so that you can see the wall on which you intend placing it.

And one last request, which I did not include in my previous post (sorry to be so disorganised): Since we already have different wall heights, could we not also have swimming pools of different depths? I am thinking, in particular, of more realistic pool depths for residential lots.
    @kamb1403 Looks like I missed your post - yes, we've got curved walls requested. :)

@FKM100 You're welcome! I'll update the language in the index. I'll also check out what you're talking about with wall placement and rotation in game when I get a chance (thanks for giving me a detailed example of what you're trying to do). As for the pool height, the devs have (at least initially) tied it into wall and level height, so if we're talking about an above ground pool, you can adjust its height by adjusting the height of your walls on that level. Until they move to a fully modular system like we've requested, i.e. each unit (room) with its own height, etc. settings, we aren't likely to get separate settings for pools. I hope we'll see it happen someday!
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member

Oh! That's too bad. I just quite lucky that the gallery showed me the PRIMA computer from cbrock 72's lot. I think the gallery needs some major improvements. But just for curiosity, what version on her lot did you checked? Because she had a second version which she replaced with other computer.
    Anyway, thanks for adding ladders to your list. :)
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • bokylie1bokylie1 Posts: 804 Member
    edited January 2015
    Post edited by bokylie1 on
    Forum and Origin ID: bokylie1

RyeCris16 wrote: »

Oh! That's too bad. I just quite lucky that the gallery showed me the PRIMA computer from cbrock 72's lot. I think the gallery needs some major improvements. But just for curiosity, what version on her lot did you checked? Because she had a second version which she replaced with other computer.
    Anyway, thanks for adding ladders to your list. :)

You're right, @RyeCris16, I just hadn't looked far enough down her list. It does indeed appear to be fixed! The only thing that puzzles me is that last week, I downloaded a lot and got that same message about not having an object on it. I figured it was the Prima Computer again... Does anyone know if there are any other bonus/one-off type objects out there that the Gallery might not yet be showing?

edited January 2015
    FKM100 wrote: »
    And thank you for your suggestion about rotating the screen with the mouse, but I can't use the mouse for rotation (although I am using TS3 camera controls), because I am already left-clicking it to hold and move the object that I want to place. I need to be able to use the < > keys, so that I can rotate the screen at the same time. This is really important when moving a wall object from one wall to the opposite wall, because you need to be able to rotate the screen so that you can see the wall on which you intend placing it.

@FKM100 I'm still not getting it. I created a simple 3x3 room and placed a painting on one wall. To move it to the opposite wall, I first clicked on it using the left mouse button. I did not hold the left mouse button down, because once it is picked up, it stays selected until you place it again. I then clicked on the middle mouse button and moved my mouse left to swing the camera around to the opposite wall. I then positioned the painting and left-clicked again to place it. What am I missing here?

Yep @kamb1403 that gets back to our top 2 requests under General Building:
    • Adjust level height by room/unit rather than across the entire lot.
    • Apply foundation to room/unit rather than across the entire lot.
  • ElectraPotatoElectraPotato Posts: 156 Member
    Elevators, escalators, and different types of stairs that can be angled or placed on the wall (floating maybe?) would be cool. I'm also still waiting on glass floors that you can see through and some also frosted... it would be useful for skylight creations and walking over grass or water or WHATEVER! just to look fancy.
  • ReesesPiecesNo1ReesesPiecesNo1 Posts: 1,023 Member
    does anyone know how to remove the grid in build mode? Its starting to drive me crazy
    edited January 2015
    @ReesePiecesNo1 Just type G, and it will temporarily turn grid lines off. They will pop back on when you save, switch to live mode and then back to build mode, etc.

@ElectraPotato yep, those are some of the earliest requests we have made. :)
  • ReesesPiecesNo1ReesesPiecesNo1 Posts: 1,023 Member
    edited January 2015
    @BryonyRae
    Thanks so much!
    edited January 2015
    A few new things to add after completing my latest build.

Requests:
    • I would like more modern styled curtains/blinds and in particular, some that are sized for smaller windows.
    • Thinner strips for the half gabled roof please. We could create some very neat effects if we had half tile or even thinner strips of it to work with.

Glitches:
    • Graphics glitch: rooftop shadow at night. Why is it there? It's like a shadow from *below* the roof, and it exactly mirrors the structure of rooms below:
      roofshadows1_zps1351a1e1.jpg

It's only a problem at night. At all other times of the day/evening, there is no shadow:
      normalshadows2_zpscd3ab6fa.jpg
      So is night lighting from the interior causing the problem?
    • Rug stacking is unreliable. I guess I haven't reported this before, but I should have, because it is really annoying. I've encountered this problem since I started building in TS4. You'll lay one rug partially over another, deliberately, in order to create an effect:
      rug1_zps0fa870af.jpg

But when you reload your save or place the lot from the Gallery, they may no longer be stacked in the right order. I was hoping MOO would fix this, but it didn't.
      rug2_zpsd8f0f20b.jpg
    • Windows placed on a pool wall are too reflective; no matter how you try to light the interior of the pool, the effect will still wind up murky. Also, it appears that animated objects will not display through the window; I haven't tested everything, but fountain jets definitely will not display:

updaquarium_zps3dc79aff.jpg

This is a shame, because given a few more aquatic themed objects, it would be great fun to be able to design fish tanks and aquariums like we used to in TS3. There were never any issues with clarity when doing this in TS3:

ts3fishtank_zps9a8469c6.jpg

Edit: One more thing, thanks to an innovative build by @Zita1966, Sheik Alaba's Pools, I discovered that we can place archways on pool walls. I thought this might provide a solution to my murky aquarium issue, because there are no visibility issues with the archway. However, there are also no water effects when using it, so it didn't pan out. Nonetheless, I'd like to post a photo of it, because it is certainly closer to the visibility I'd like to see!

archwaytank_zpsc2a33375.jpg

Post edited by BryonyRae on
    edited January 2015
    comments are wanted so deleting mine

Yes, it has been, @kamb1403. We have an index of all requests made and bugs reported so far on page 1, first post. I know it's rather long, but it's worth going through to see whether your request has already been made.
    edited January 2015

I'm certainly not asking you to refrain from comment, @kamb1403! It was just a suggestion so you wouldn't have to wonder if something you wanted to request has already been requested or not.
  • CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    Not sure if it's a bug or intended, but I thought it was weird.

tumblr_nf3k66nN9F1s873l7o3_r1_250.jpg

These windows are exactly the same, but the one on the left costs $145 and the one on the right $150.
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • DieterPrivateDieterPrivate Posts: 459 Member
    Cerrydd wrote: »

These windows are exactly the same, but the one on the left costs $145 and the one on the right $150.

Maybe the guy making this window is left handed? It was harder for him to make the right one.
  • sherrylynn8779sherrylynn8779 Posts: 2,102 Member
    @BryonyRae
    Thank you for the reply about my request. I appreciate your poignant reply! :smile:

A thought: it would make it easier for people to digest that information on the front page if it were sub-categorized further. Ex: Under General Building: headings could include Roof, Foundation, Windows... you get it I am sure. This way the Gurus can pick apart this information easier as well!

I love this thread and the Moo thread. I check them often to see if there are things that are happening in my builds that others have experienced (to determine user error vs. coding error). The list of requests are purely awesome in respect to shear size and scope (breadth) of things that have not been included in this iteration of the game. With hope we will see most, if not all of these come to fruition.
    My Twitter:: My Facebook:: Gallery Name: sherry_lynn1979
    Cerrydd wrote: »

@Cerrydd I actually think it may be deliberate due to the little story behind the windows you can read in their descriptions. The left shuttered window was manufactured by robots and was the intended design, while the right one was due to an assembly line malfunction, and the shutter is attached "to the wrong side." :p I find it ironic that we are paying more for the "mistake!" I'll ask if it was intended.

@sherrylynn8779 The way I categorized it, roofing, windows, etc. are already separate categories below "General." I intended General to be for mostly the big ticket build mode items that wouldn't really fit into those categories. It might help if I give a little summary of the index categories, and I am open to suggestion for additional categories if you guys think that something really doesn't work where it is (but please bear in mind that I don't really want to spend a bunch of time re-organizing and sub-categorizing; it's no more exciting to do than it is to read :p ).

So here's how the index breaks down:
    • Cheats
    • General Building - intended to cover requests pertaining to foundations, walls, levels, modularity, placement, and build objects/tools we want
    • Landscaping - tends to cover everything primarily considered "outdoors" - fencing, plants, pools/fountains, and the like
    • Roofing
    • Doors/Windows
    • Stairs
    • Decorating - everything related to colors, styles, additional decor objects, and placement for decorating purposes. It is the largest category and could probably do with some sub-categorization. Let me know if you have particular suggestions.
    • Gallery - requests related to proper lot viewing and transfer
    • Other - stuff that doesn't seem to fit any of the other categories
    • Bugs/Glitches - wanted to keep them separate from requests and also easier to see if a bug/glitch you've experienced has already been reported if you can look in that specific section

• CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    @Cerrydd I actually think it may be deliberate due to the little story behind the windows you can read in their descriptions. The left shuttered window was manufactured by robots and was the intended design, while the right one was due to an assembly line malfunction, and the shutter is attached "to the wrong side." :p I find it ironic that we are paying more for the "mistake!" I'll ask if it was intended.

:# I did read the description, but it didn't make sense to me. The manufacturer should raise the price of the 'good' window to $150 too, maximize profit, amirite? I may or may not be overthinking this... ;)
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i want locks for the bathroom doors. since they aren't able to lock my sims get embaressed a lot. sorry if it was mentioned already i just found the thread today so i haven't read the whole thing.