Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Selecting a new desktop ...

I am currently running TS4 on an ancient laptop and I have been looking around at new desktops - hoping someone can tell me if the one I want will not only meet but hopefully exceed the requirements for TS4. Like anyone else here, all I really want is to play the sims at max resolution with no problems (well, no problems due to my computer). Thanks in advance :)

My favourite so far is the Asus ROG G20, specs below:
Processor Type: Intel Core i5 4460
Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Hard Drive Capacity: 1 TB
Pre-loaded Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-Bit
Graphics Card: nVidia GTX750-2GD5
Dedicated Graphic Card: Yes
Video Memory: 2 GB

I can give you more details on specs if needed,
1love
Dear EA/Maxis,
I am incredibly disappointed with the lack of answers provided by you in regards to issues and bugs with TS4.
I will not be purchasing anything more from you until a proper venue for dialogue is opened.

Sincerely,
A concerned simmer

Comments

• Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    Yes max
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    You will be fine on the sims 4 , are you also playing the sims 3?
  • Options
    Letty91Letty91 Posts: 432 Member
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > You will be fine on the sims 4 , are you also playing the sims 3?

I haven't played in quite some time and I likely wound't be loading it onto this new computer, would it not be able to handle both?

1love
    Dear EA/Maxis,
    I am incredibly disappointed with the lack of answers provided by you in regards to issues and bugs with TS4.
    I will not be purchasing anything more from you until a proper venue for dialogue is opened.

Sincerely,
    A concerned simmer
  • Options
    Letty91 wrote: »
    > @phoebebebe13 said:

I haven't played in quite some time and I likely wound't be loading it onto this new computer, would it not be able to handle both?

1love

Oh most likely it would
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    > @phoebebebe13 said:

1love

It will be fine to play the sims 4. Since it is a laptop not a desktop the 750 card may not work as well on all eps on the sims 3. But you could try on med with some of or all the sims 3. Desktop is always stronger than laptop. The 750 card is a stronger card on desktop than laptop.I have a similar ASUS laptop with the 770 card. I play most of the sims 3 on high but I do lower a few settings. This is with all eps and store etc.
  • Options
    cale2003 wrote: »
    > @phoebebebe13 said:

1love

Oh most likely it would

Cale laptop is always weaker than desktop. Im sure op can get away with the sims 3 but on med settings to run the game smooth. Maybe a few on high. The cards they put in laptops are different than the desktop and less powerful. My card is is 770 on a laptop and with all eps , store, etc I have to lower some settings to med.
  • Options
    @Letty91 you will be able to play the sims 4 on max no problem with that laptop. The Sims 3 has higher requirements than the sims 4
  • Options
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Letty91 wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It will be fine to play the sims 4. Since it is a laptop not a desktop the 750 card may not work as well on all eps on the sims 3. But you could try on med with some of or all the sims 3. Desktop is always stronger than laptop. The 750 card is a stronger card on desktop than laptop.I have a similar ASUS laptop with the 770 card. I play most of the sims 3 on high but I do lower a few settings. This is with all eps and store etc.

what I am playing on now is a laptop but the specs I posted are for a desktop - unfortunately I am a newbie and can't post links, if you have the time just type " ASUS ROG G20 Gaming PC " into google and I'm sure it will pop up!

thanks for your help, it is seriously appreciated!

1love
    Dear EA/Maxis,

Sincerely,
    A concerned simmer
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @Letty91 I thought you said it was a laptop my mistake. You can play the sims 3 and 4 on that if it is a desktop

You just need to set up your nvida card and control panel to put vsync so the game's fps stays at 60 fps. especially for the sims 3. When you get the computer if you need help with that just post back.

mine is an ASUS ROG laptop and I love it. I think you will really enjoy this computer :D

PS just checked newegg it has good reviews too
  • Options
    @Letty91 I thought you said it was a laptop my mistake. You can play the sims 3 and 4 on that if it is a desktop

You just need to set up your nvida card and control panel to put vsync so the game's fps stays at 60 fps. especially for the sims 3. When you get the computer if you need help with that just post back.

mine is an ASUS ROG laptop and I love it. I think you will really enjoy this computer :D

PS just checked newegg it has good reviews too

Yes you need to cap TS3 at 60fps anything above 100fps is dangerous imo and can burn out your graphics card
    PC Specs:
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    6685561181.png
  • Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I am currently running TS4 on an ancient laptop and I have been looking around at new desktops - hoping someone can tell me if the one I want will not only meet but hopefully exceed the requirements for TS4. Like anyone else here, all I really want is to play the sims at max resolution with no problems (well, no problems due to my computer). Thanks in advance :)

My favourite so far is the Asus ROG G20, specs below:
    Processor Type: Intel Core i5 4460
    Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
    Hard Drive Capacity: 1 TB
    Pre-loaded Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-Bit
    Graphics Card: nVidia GTX750-2GD5
    Dedicated Graphic Card: Yes
    Video Memory: 2 GB

I can give you more details on specs if needed,
    1love
    See if you can find a 750TI, its a little better than the vanilla 750.
    What budget do you have in mind? Because Asus can be overpriced.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    The Asus Rog is listed at $950 CAD, and I really wouldn't want to spend much more than that considering I really don't spend all that much time on my computer at home. I am going to shop around some more, but other than big box stores I'm not really sure where I can go that might actually have knowledgeable staff as well as a decent selection.

1love
    Dear EA/Maxis,

Sincerely,
    A concerned simmer
  • Options
    @Letty91 read this thread. On the last post Chester posted 2 computers that may work for you. Chester does not like the case on the the computer you posted. Thinks it's too small may overheat.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/820206/msi-laptop-for-sims-3-and-sims-4#latest
  • Options
    excellent, thank you all so much!

1love
    Dear EA/Maxis,

Sincerely,
    A concerned simmer
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Your welcome. Im glad those will work for you! Enjoy your new computer :D
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I'm looking to purchase a gaming computer soon. Sims 4 is barely hanging on on my Pc & my Mac has too much lag for me to enjoy Cities Skylines. Would this computer be good for running both games?
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1Y3HWTA_enUS543US564&sboxchip=Shopping&biw=360&bih=615&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p,cat:325,pdtr0:950630|950631&tbm=shop&q=gaming+computer&sa=X&ei=HqoBVabgNcz3oAT16ILABw&ved=0CBUQvSs#spd=16476287851155685994
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    edited March 2015
    aprilrose wrote: »
    I'm looking to purchase a gaming computer soon. Sims 4 is barely hanging on on my Pc & my Mac has too much lag for me to enjoy Cities Skylines. Would this computer be good for running both games?
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1Y3HWTA_enUS543US564&sboxchip=Shopping&biw=360&bih=615&tbs=vw:l,p_ord:p,cat:325,pdtr0:950630|950631&tbm=shop&q=gaming+computer&sa=X&ei=HqoBVabgNcz3oAT16ILABw&ved=0CBUQvSs#spd=16476287851155685994

City Skylines requirements are higher than the sims 4. Look in spending $800 or more for a computer. Always go for the recommended requirements or above. For example city skylines needs 6gb ram. windows takes up 1-2 gb ram so you need a computer with 8gb ram. A good video card that is dedicated and not integrated with 2gb ram just for the card.and good i5 processor or better

This is for cities skylines

Minimum:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+, 3.2GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 5670, 512 MB
    DirectX: Version 9.0c
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

Recommended:
    Processor: Intel Core i5-3470, 3.20GHz or AMD FX-6300, 3.5Ghz
    Memory: 6 GB RAM
    Graphics: nVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, 2 GB or AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2 GB
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @aprilrose the 2 computers chesterbigbird posted in this thread the cyberpower computers would be better choices for cities skylines and the sims 4 but the one you posted in the $300-400 range would not work

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/820206/msi-laptop-for-sims-3-and-sims-4#latest
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 oh rats, thanks so much though I'll check out.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    aprilrose wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 oh rats, thanks so much though I'll check out.

your welcome and sorry those game specs are higher. A lot of new games coming out have higher specs. Gaming computers have really gone down in price though. 5 years ago you would be paying $5000-$6000. I was surprised to see the iMAC $1000 to $3000 and in 5k resolution. I thought it would be more
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 Yeah they have come down a lot. I like the computer mentioned in the thread & it has my favorite color on it. I'll be saving up to get it or something similar.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    @aprilrose that would be your best bet. Save for a good computer. At least you know what price range. Those computers I think are a march sale that Chester posted. There are new computers coming out all the time. By the time your ready to buy there maybe something else out or a different sale.so just come back to this forum ask for help when when your ready.
  • Options
    StymieStymie Posts: 169 Member
    Thankfully, Cities Skylines is a very optimized game. As long you reach their spec, it will play smoothly on med-high settings.
    Intel Core i7 4790k| 8GB Ram | MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G | MSI Z97-Gaming 5 Mobo | Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard | Logitech G700 Gaming Mouse|
    Steam Profile (Feel free to add me but leave a comment first)
    13VpVgn.jpg
    Origin: StymieG
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @phoebebebe13 I'll definitely be back when I'm ready. You've been a big help :) Thanks!
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    @aprilrose you are so welcome :D