Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Selecting a new desktop ...

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    aprilrose wrote: »
    @phoebebebe13 @chesterbigbird I've been reading some horror story reviews from some upset customers regarding cyberpowerpc. Is there another company out there you would recommend? I really don't want any issues after spending $1,000+ on a computer. Granted they were reviews from 2012 but you never know. Do either one of you own one from them?

Right now I'm eyeing and leaning towards the Asus ROG G20 which was mentioned in the original posters post and I believe I read that Phoebe has one. It's more in my price range without going crazy and the reviews are pretty good. If i read the specs right i should have no problem playing sims 4 & cities skylines with this one.
    Can you post the specs here, the Asus ROG G20 has many different configurations. Phoebe has the Asus laptop not desktop. However as a pc builder I would turn away from the Asus.. simply because its a very small form desktop and thus it be very tricky to upgrade.
    The Cyberpower reviews you could be reading might be from the pre built non configured desktops, this is why I prefer to configure them myself for other people.. because then you know exactly what is going into it. With the Asus you will have no idea what brand components have been used. If you configure your own pc you know exactly what you are getting. You do not look at a desktop as a whole.. you look it it from each component that has been installed. CyberPower only build the pc.. they don't make the parts. Unless you want a pre built.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @phoebebebe13 @chesterbigbird I've been reading some horror story reviews from some upset customers regarding cyberpowerpc. Is there another company out there you would recommend? I really don't want any issues after spending $1,000+ on a computer. Granted they were reviews from 2012 but you never know. Do either one of you own one from them?

Right now I'm eyeing and leaning towards the Asus ROG G20 which was mentioned in the original posters post and I believe I read that Phoebe has one. It's more in my price range without going crazy and the reviews are pretty good. If i read the specs right i should have no problem playing sims 4 & cities skylines with this one.

I have an ASUS ROG but it's a laptop.. To get good specs on a laptop $1400 range. This is my laptop with a newer card and I did buy my laptop from same vender since he was cheaper than everyone else on my laptop. This also comes with both SSD and HHD . It comes with 2 hard drives.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G5IKWFO/ref=psdc_565108_t1_B00COQIKKA

• Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited March 2015

I have an ASUS ROG but it's a laptop.. To get good specs on a laptop $1400 range. This is my laptop with a newer card and I did buy my laptop from same vender since he was cheaper than everyone else on my laptop. This also comes with both SSD and HHD . It comes with 2 hard drives.

Yeah i thought I read you had a laptop from the same company.
    The Asus ROG 20 is a desktop and the specs are pretty equal to the Cyberpower one and the ram is expandable which is always a plus for me. I'm really itching at the Asus now and the design is really nice and slick.

Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options

Yeah i thought I read you had a laptop from the same company.
    The Asus ROG 20 is a desktop and the specs are pretty equal to the Cyberpower one and the ram is expandable which is always a plus for me. I'm really itching at the Asus now and the design is really nice and slick.

This is the model with the thin case. Chester did not recommend it because the case is small and thin. Might be hard to change things out with a smaller case. I dont know haw well it will stay cool. Ill look for testing reviews and see what I come up with . Chester wont be on until later but im sure will respond when they come on the forum
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @chesterbigbird http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-red/8448199.p?id=1219334567161&skuId=8448199

some of the reviews regarding cyberpowerpc were malfunctioning parts or parts lasting for a very short time (a month even). I don't want that from an $1,000 computer.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    Here is a good review. Just so you know with any computer if you open it while under warranty you void the warranty so you can not upgrade the ram or you will void the warranty.

http://techgage.com/article/asus-rog-g20-gaming-pc-review/

There are some others in here who have cyberpower and had no issues I ordered one It not here yet so I cant tell you how it will work yet.

BTW the computer is the one chester did not like the case but Ill let them fill you in after they read reviews on that desktop.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    @chesterbigbird http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black-red/8448199.p?id=1219334567161&skuId=8448199

some of the reviews regarding cyberpowerpc were malfunctioning parts or parts lasting for a very short time (a month even). I don't want that from an $1,000 computer.

This might be better and has a better card. The one you posted has the 750 card. This one has 760

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220798&cm_re=asus_desktop-_-83-220-798-_-Product
  • Options
    also @aprilrose if you look at the computer you posted the 750 card has 2gb ram, the asus I posted is the 760 card with 3gb ram for the card. The case is also bigger.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 I'm just really nervous about making such a major purchase like this. I don't know what to choose. I really like the sleek Asus. I'm so confused :(
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    edited March 2015
    @phoebebebe13 I'm just really nervous about making such a major purchase like this. I don't know what to choose. I really like the sleek Asus. I'm so confused :(

The other computer I posted is better. Go for better not looks. In fact when someone posted the computer you were looking at Chester suggested the asus I posted instead. Just because ASUS put ROG (republic of gamers) on the end of that computer and the other ASUS is not listed as ROG its still a better computer. It has a bigger case more ventilation, better card with more ram on the card. Cities Sylines specs are higher than the sims, you want a better computer not a pretty one.

Cities Skylines video card recommended requirements is 660 or better. The 760 would be equal or slightly better. They no longer sell the 600 series cards

760 is slightly better than the 660

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-760-vs-GeForce-GTX-660
  • Options

That's a pre built CyberpowerPC possibly made with the bot so good brand name components.. its all about what's inside.. my only recommendation is to configure a CyberpowerPC yourself with well known trusted components.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options

This might be better and has a better card. The one you posted has the 750 card. This one has 760

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220798&cm_re=asus_desktop-_-83-220-798-_-Product
    I would still go for CyberpowerPC configuration.
    Would be easier to upgrade with CyberpowerPC and also picking your own parts is a plus.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    @phoebebebe13 oh i mentioned sleek to differentiate the two. I prefer performance over looks though. The one you posted specs look great. I added it to my list. I'm more than happy to get a shack size tower as long as it runs like a beast lol
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options

Would be easier to upgrade with CyberpowerPC and also picking your own parts is a plus.

I agree but if she does not want to get the cyberpower than I say the asus I posted is the better than the one she posted.Cities Skylines recommended is 660 card or better. Teh computer she posted is 750 and the one I posted is 760 with more ram on the card
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 oh i mentioned sleek to differentiate the two. I prefer performance over looks though. The one you posted specs look great. I added it to my list. I'm more than happy to get a shack size tower as long as it runs like a beast lol

You need a computer with at least a 760, 860,960 or better card for cities skylines. The one you posted has a 750.
  • Options
    Well if I go the custom route I will really need your expertise @chesterbigbird if you don't helping a novice out.

Guess i can narrow it down to either the Asus tower @phoebebebe13 mentioned or a custom cyberpowerpc then.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    Well if I go the custom route I will really need your expertise @chesterbigbird if you don't helping a novice out.

Guess i can narrow it down to either the Asus tower @phoebebebe13 mentioned or a custom cyberpowerpc then.

If you go the custom route let chester build it. Then you can decide if you want custom or the asus factory build. With the custom chester will also be able to get you a newer card 800,900 series. the 700 series is older. I guess its been out around 2 years. I have a 700 series in my laptop. The custom chester built for me is the 900 series cards.
  • Options

I can help you. It's only early here in Australia.. so latter today I will go and configure something for you. :)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    edited March 2015

I can help you. It's only early here in Australia.. so latter today I will go and configure something for you. :)

Great thanks sooo much Chester! :) No worries I can wait.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    @aprilrose
    Here is one I configured for you.. it has all good quality parts.. that I know to be good.. also good reviews on each part.
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1GW3W5
    It has the added monitor and speakers.. so its all you need.
    The bad reviews I have seen for cyberpower is mostly from people picking the standard power supply (they are rubbish) and the standard case (also rubbish.) you can get a good pc if you have someone (like myself lol) that can help you. I have also included a small SSD drive that can be used for ultra fast boot times.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    LG 34" ultra wide

• Options
    Letty91Letty91 Posts: 432 Member
    just as a mini update (for anyone that cares to know) I was actually given a Lenovo V570 (laptop) and is does soooooo much better than my old laptop as far as running TS4 (let's face it, it really couldn't have done worse). But I am so content - it will be a while now before I worry about getting a laptop. Thanks again to everyone who helped :smile:
    Dear EA/Maxis,
    I am incredibly disappointed with the lack of answers provided by you in regards to issues and bugs with TS4.
    I will not be purchasing anything more from you until a proper venue for dialogue is opened.

Sincerely,
    A concerned simmer