Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4, what a rip off.

Comments

• Options
    GreenDayGreenDay Posts: 669 Member
    I've just got the game recently because I have a Mac, but I find that I have the same complaints as many... I've been a loyal Sims fan since 2002, and I feel like this is the weakest base game of the bunch.
    I like aspects of the multitasking feature but there's SO MANY bugs with it, such as:
    sims playing musical chairs when multitasking and taking far longer to do the task because of that
    actions towards specific sims being cancelled because they keep wanting to make it into a group conversation
    the action not being completed because the sim gets "distracted" by playing musical chair

There's also other little things missing that really bother me such as having the ability to chose how long a sim performs a task for (working out - work out until fatigued, sleeping - sleep until fully rested, skilling up - read until reach next skill level, etc)

I also feel that this emotions system is super flawed as well - my sim changes emotions so often that it gets annoying, and it makes me wonder if there's something wrong with them lol. It also feels less personal than in sims 3, where it would say how the sim you're talking to is feeling about you.. now they just have generic emotions, and saying something odd does not affect their mood or what they think of you. In TS3 I really cared about what my sims would say to others, now as long as it's something "friendly" or "funny" it doesn't seem to matter what you say - the sim is going to like you.
    For example, I had my sim insult someone - he seemed mad - then I said something nice, and all was fine again like it never happened.

I hate how EA is trying to say how this emotions system is something revolutionary and brand new, when it really feels like a step back.

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be so long, I just have a lot of complaints that I guess I wanted to make, but I'm sure they've all been said before...

• Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    I think toddlers will be added sooner or later if we complain enough. I mean, what helped us get pools back? And ghosts? (I don't think many people missed those, though) If it isn't added in a patch, I'd expect it to come in a Generations EP. I'm not really missing it, but I loved how they couldn't do much themselves and it's the stage where the parent and the child bond most :(

I think toddlers need to be added in as a patch otherwise it could potentially drag down the whole game.

The thing with The Sims is EA can never just assume everyone has all the expansion packs so for that reason things introduced within expansion packs are generally never expanded upon again. It would be a severely bad judgement call if EA choose to use an expansion to introduce toddlers because then when are they ever going to get more content and interactions? They can't very well put those into subsequent expansions because then people who don't have the pack that introduced toddlers will resent paying for content they physically can't use.

This on top of the fact that at this point, regardless of my opinion on toddlers, they were a staple of the franchise and were expected by default to be in the game. If EA tried to charge money for their addition it would not go down well IMO.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The game is really Sims 2.5, it is a revision of Sims 2 with all the caffeine taken out and a lot of fluff no punch.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ASDF0716ASDF0716 Posts: 1,703 Member
    Darkslayer wrote: »
    I think toddlers will be added sooner or later if we complain enough. I mean, what helped us get pools back? And ghosts? (I don't think many people missed those, though) If it isn't added in a patch, I'd expect it to come in a Generations EP. I'm not really missing it, but I loved how they couldn't do much themselves and it's the stage where the parent and the child bond most :(

I think toddlers need to be added in as a patch otherwise it could potentially drag down the whole game.

The thing with The Sims is EA can never just assume everyone has all the expansion packs so for that reason things introduced within expansion packs are generally never expanded upon again. It would be a severely bad judgement call if EA choose to use an expansion to introduce toddlers because then when are they ever going to get more content and interactions? They can't very well put those into subsequent expansions because then people who don't have the pack that introduced toddlers will resent paying for content they physically can't use.

This on top of the fact that at this point, regardless of my opinion on toddlers, they were a staple of the franchise and were expected by default to be in the game. If EA tried to charge money for their addition it would not go down well IMO.

I feel like most people would be satisfied if they patched in a "basic" version of toddlers and then expanded on all of the life stages with a Generations EP.
  • Options
    ASDF0716 wrote: »

I feel like most people would be satisfied if they patched in a "basic" version of toddlers and then expanded on all of the life stages with a Generations EP.

I agree, give back the toddlers as they were in TS2 and then subsequently expand upon them in connection to whatever theme the expansion pack is going for. I.E. In Seasons creating those adorable onesie padded snowsuit things for toddlers, letting toddlers have unique interactions for playing in the snow / rain etc.
  • Options
    JimilJimil Posts: 4,443 Member
    Right? Wonder what happens after they abandon this game since it didn't capture enough customers to continue funding for more future content. I can feel that this game is going to end up like Medieval.

You guys think toddlers will solve everything? lol please. They've completely forgotten that this game even exist. Blockbuster games are beginning to be released. Soon this game will be irrelevant to this new generation of gaming - it probably is now.
  • Options
    Jimil wrote: »
    Right? Wonder what happens after they abandon this game since it didn't capture enough customers to continue funding for more future content. I can feel that this game is going to end up like Medieval.

You guys think toddlers will solve everything? lol please. They've completely forgotten that this game even exist. Blockbuster games are beginning to be released. Soon this game will be irrelevant to this new generation of gaming - it probably is now.

Yeah, that's why they're bringing out an expansion pack in just over a month.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

• Options

Better start counting how many EPs can they even make for this game. Or it will soon extinct.
  • Options

Better start counting how many EPs can they even make for this game. Or it will soon extinct.

Well clearly at this point we don't know do we? It could go like TS3 and have a lot of releases over the span of 5 years or it could go the way of Sim City.

You don't have the answers any more than I do.
  • Options
    RoyaiChaosRoyaiChaos Posts: 905 Member

Yes, this would be the best path and they would get the best of both worlds. Pleasing players and earning money. Of course some people would still complain, but I think most people would accept it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    You're going the right way to kill off The Sims aren't you. All by yourself.

Mind you If EA could bring out a separate game called "Toddlers" for those who want them I, for one, would be very grateful.

B)>:)

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Mchap353 wrote: »

Mind you If EA could bring out a separate game called "Toddlers" for those who want them I would be very grateful.

See- this attitude, I will never understand. If you don't want to play with toddlers, JUST SKIP THE FREAKING STAGE.

Oh, it's such an inconvenience for you to click on something and click "age up"...
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Well clearly at this point we don't know do we? It could go like TS3 and have a lot of releases over the span of 5 years or it could go the way of Sim City.

No I suppose not. Though chances are, it's very thin that it could be successful as TS3. You see, that game, alone, budgeted 3 separate Sims projects - Medieval, Sims 4, and Simcity. And with enough funding to provide more EPs than its predecessors along with its own Store feature. Y'all better start pouring all your money for the game if you want it to thrive lol
  • Options

Mind you If EA could bring out a separate game called "Toddlers" for those who want them I would be very grateful.

See- this attitude, I will never understand. If you don't want to play with toddlers, JUST SKIP THE FREAKING STAGE.

Oh, it's such an inconvenience for you to click on something and click "age up"...

I always did.

• Options

Ehhh, I always prefer more options. But I agree, we already have "age up".
  • Options
    edited February 2015

No I suppose not. Though chances are, it's very thin that it could be successful as TS3. You see, that game, alone, budgeted 3 separate Sims projects - Medieval, Sims 4, and Simcity. And with enough funding to provide more EPs than its predecessors along with its own Store feature. Y'all better start pouring all your money for the game if you want it to thrive lol

I haven't looked at sales figures nor am I that interested in doing so. It wouldn't surprise me to hear TS4 hasn't done as well as TS3 did over the same time period partially because the franchise as a whole is getting very watered down at this point and partially because the game did leave a lot to be desired for people who had greater expectations but EA are patching this game on a fairly regular basis (by EA standards that is) and we've already had a small game pack release and we're getting an expansion pack very soon.

I think it's a little early yet to say TS4 is dead in the water, forgotten by the development team and all but abandoned.

If the content remains as consistently good as I think it is then yeah, I'll keep spending my money. If EA drop the ball for me then I'll be bowing out of another sims franchise. I won't however take pleasure in it's failure - I'll be disappointed and sad.
  • Options

Mind you If EA could bring out a separate game called "Toddlers" for those who want them I, for one, would be very grateful.

Did you know?:

Toddlers are one of the major causes that this game had an unsuccessful release.
  • Options

Did you know?:

Toddlers are one of the major causes that this game had an unsuccessful release.

Don't I know! I read the forums and am sorry for those who want them back but the comments are getting too vitriolic.

As an "elder" myself I don't think that they are adequately catered for in the game and get killed off too easily but I don't complain too much about it. Aren't toddlers promised in future anyway? It always bugs me that elders stoop and seemingly don't wear a bra. Are all elderly Americans like this? Shouldn't there be options for botox and facelifting! ;)

The way things are going there will be more elders playing the game than young ones if what you write is true.

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    You aren't alone in your feelings towards the Sims 4. It took me about a month to go from kind of liking it to finding flaws with the game. I've just learned from my experience with the Sims 3, adding more EPs won't fix the core game. I have a feeling modders will need to come to the rescue again.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    You aren't alone in your feelings towards the Sims 4. It took me about a month to go from kind of liking it to finding flaws with the game. I've just learned from my experience with the Sims 3, adding more EPs won't fix the core game. I have a feeling modders will need to come to the rescue again.
    It is really a shame that modders has to fix what EA/Maxis should have done in the first place amd I just shake my head when I hear someone say the Devs is working hard when the product is definantly flawed and may stay flawed while they move on to the next project. I see it happening to Sims 4 and will be flawed for the life of Sims 4.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    SelenaGrey wrote: »
    I like to play it once in a while but I can't seem to stick to a single game save. I think the idea of starting a new sim is fun and exciting but once I get in game I run out of things to do fairly quickly.

I love to build, and I appreciate the new build tools but the color options are SO limited that each house and room looks like the last one.

I wish I got this game on sale. It is not worth what I paid for it. I'm also upset because I feel myself wanting to buy the expansion because my sims are starved for something to do. I know that was EAs plan all along. :(

This. They're not stupid. After fifteen years, they know what they are doing. The problem is that we keep letting them do it. By their own admission, people readily admit: "I'll buy anything Sims."

It's really not just EA or EAxis, either. As a community, I don't think we've really done enough to disincentive this form of monetizing behavior.z

I was recently reading something about the jump from Cities XL to Cities XXL and people are 🐸🐸🐸🐸 because- they basically did nothing but change the color of the UI and are now selling the exact same game for another $40.00.

EA Sports games have this exact same problem and year after year, people keep dolling out the dollars. Who's really at fault? We are the one's that keep falling for it year after year.
  • Options
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    It is really a shame that modders has to fix what EA/Maxis should have done in the first place amd I just shake my head when I hear someone say the Devs is working hard when the product is definantly flawed and may stay flawed while they move on to the next project. I see it happening to Sims 4 and will be flawed for the life of Sims 4.

The issues are different for TS3 and TS4. TS3 has a lot of content, but everything is slow and buggy. TS3 has less content, but it's generally faster and has less bugs in comparison.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    RoyaiChaos wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »

The issues are different for TS3 and TS4. TS3 has a lot of content, but everything is slow and buggy. TS3 has less content, but it's generally faster and has less bugs in comparison.

Of course, because while EA/Maxis knew of the problems it also can be contributed to the specs of some people's machines and some was using specs that was way below the minimum and looking at the type of program Sims series is where you got multi-programs running within one base program it will tend to become bogged down. I use the machines listed in my signature box and never used mods and had a few problems that was contributed to EA/Maxis, China in WA and IP have known problems and to date they were not addressed to my knowledge but other than that the game worked great for me and also having experience with computers I also could pinpoint problems that may be my fault. IMHO it was the statement that "My grandmother's computer can run Sims 3" was misleading. Sims 4 may appear to have less bugs for the moment but to me it goes beyond bugs, it is what the game brings to the table for the gamer and each gamer has a preference that is different. I play many games and I know what to look for in Sims 4 and right now in my opinion Sims does not have the drawing power that Sims 3 had and that was a base game.

Sims 4 has also limitations that may be due to the engine and how EA/Maxis engineered the game and the EPs/SPs/GPs are also going to reflect those limitations so therefore I and nobody else here can really say how much can be brought to the game. Now there is the question of creativity and customization and even if it is a base game it still needs to be part of the game at the earliest part of the game because creativity and some form of customization draws a lot more players especially if you want that income and to say it may be added in cannot be assured by us and only by EA/Maxis. I do not think Sims 4 is all that bad but it is up to EA/Maxis make the most of the game that draws all genres of people and not one. Sims 4 to is dumbed down so one genre of people can play it and it negates the others because it does not scale up or down with the exception of the video card. Sims 4 cannot make the most of the specs I have because of how the game is engineered. You would think EA/Maxis would tweak Sims 3 to run better on people's machines that was having the problems and didn't that is why I posted I shake my head because it is their product and they made it and I also take in account of their history with other games as well and compare. SimCity is one where they left it to the modders to fix what they could not fix, all I posted here is my opinion.

Post edited by Goldmoldar on