Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Goodbye Open World... Hello Rose Tinted Glasses

Comments

• Options
    EasyToReadEasyToRead Posts: 7,813 Member
    edited February 2015
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    I love how hardly anyone here is willing to admit the problems they had with TS3 and how everyone has gradually turned the thread into a 'this is what is wrong with TS4 thread,' despite that fact that this thread was created to serve as a reminder that however many faults TS4 has, TS3 wasn't perfect either and had just as many complaints in regards to the bugs, glitches, and lag. I've been accused of creating this thread simply to bash TS3 which is not the case at all, I invested heavily in TS3, both time and money. I've not once said TS4 is perfect, infact, quite the opposite, I know full well that it suffers from it's own problems and I too am disappointed in the lack of base game content which shipped with the game (in regards to the missing staples, I actually feel that in regards to build and buy mode TS4 offers more in it's base game than either TS2 or TS3). However, I'm not going to sit here and say that TS3 was perfect and use that as even more of an excuse to slam TS4. It wasn't. A large number of us complained about it. Yet everyone seems to have forgotten that now and believes TS3 was perfect.
    What do you mean people aren't willing to admit?! There is nothing to admit! We didn't have that many problems and issues in Sims 3 compared to Sims 4. No one said Sims 3 was perfect either. I don't understand where you are getting all of this from..... :|
    hEFcp6z.gif
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    Most of the serious issues with the sims 3 could be fixed or mitigated with mods, in my experience, in the Sims 4 the issues run far to deep to be readily fixed with mods, there are just too many fundamental features missing or incomplete.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited February 2015
    CK213 wrote: »
    The open world is the most overrated aspect of TS3 and whilst I'd love to see it return without all of these problems I for one am quite happy to play a game that I can actually enjoy for more than an hour at a time without it crashing, freezing, lagging, completely breaking, or burning out my graphics card. Goodbye open world, you won't be missed.

I would preferred them to invest the time and money to provide a better solution, not eliminate it.
    Are they competent developers or not?

Those weren't big issues for me as my game played decently, except of Isla Paridiso, for which I went around fixing the lag causes. With the downgraded world size and graphics, why do we need loading screens for five lots when when we had towns of 90+ lots without loading screens in The Sims 4? I prefer an open world.

THIS. I don't get this: "Don't improve it, just remove it"-policy.

And this also why i don't get how you would profit from people admitting how they didn't like stuff in TS3, OP.
    Because than the devs can say: "Look, how smart or choice of removing stuff that didn't work properly was. People praise us for this!"
    This might not bother you as long as they don't remove stuff you love, but it can always happen to your favourite features in a different iteration...
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited February 2015
    HollowVoid wrote: »
    kimjo313 wrote: »
    And how many places are you going to post this??? So here is the same answer I gave you on the other post.

But whose fault is it that TS3 was so poorly scripted? EA'S. Modders created mods that made the open world much more user friendly. Not EA. Caw creators created worlds and tested them before they released them so they had no routing errors and played much smoother without issues than EA'S. So if EA had done it RIGHT, then an open world would not have been a bug fest. So instead of correcting what was wrong with the open world, they threw it out and returned somewhat to a a 12 year old style game. And even that has issues as the time management aspect is a disaster.

Most of the complaints about TS3 open world/ story progression were issues created by shoddy work from EA and users computers that were only up to specs for the base game.

Just my opinion.

kim :\

My computer is far beyond the realms of what is required to play TS3. The fact is the open world functioned poorly; an amazing concept, a terrible execution. It's also the limits that the open world posed on the game. So many things couldn't be done in TS3 (such as OFB) because the game had to load everything at once; you couldn't switch from living a Sim to managing a business as in TS2. Hence why so many of the features built into TS3 over the years were half baked. With TS4 we will be able to experience everything in it's entirety. TS3, on paper, is amazing. To actually play the game is incredibly disappointing.
    Hardly believable, anything remotely "beyond the realms of the requirements" could have easily put up with the game for months (depending on the world) before the breakdown started happening after extended play of a single save.

You are attributing issues to the concept of open worlds that do not belong to it. Every single issue or limitation experienced in TS3 was the fault of the developers, not open worlds. Many of the half baked features were proven to be fixable without even touching the game engine, most of the performance issues were fixed via a single modder, proving yet again that the only ones at fault were the developers. Several user made worlds were created with routing in mind. Nearly every single issue was shown to be fixable, and those who did, had the chance of enjoying a much more advanced and stable game knowing that the only reason things were not being fixed, was because the developers lacked the knowledge and/or motivation to do so.

I could keep going, but there's no point. Logically, they were supposed to keep moving the series forward and augmenting, maintaining the status quo, etc. I ain't going backwards over a decade, I'm not going to play despite my play style being gone, and more importantly, I'm not pouring cash into a product that hardly tried to progress the franchise and was scrambled together in roughly a year after the high suits realized they were high when thinking the franchise should have been online.

It was the way in which the open worlds were coded and designed by the developers that lead to so many issues. So yes, it is the open worlds. If you're going down the route of, 'it's the developers' then you could say that actually, nothing in the game causes in issues. It's ALL down to the developers.

I also take offence to being called a liar. My computer IS well beyonds the realm of the requirements for TS3, as are the computers of hundreds of thousands of other players who found the game nigh impossible to play. Do you not remember the disastrous release of Island Paradise; Isla Paradiso was basically unplayable for the majority of players.
    Again, doubtful your computer is "well beyond" the realm of the requirements of TS3. My rig is mid-high end and had no problems with Island Paradise for a month before it began to show the slightest of lag/stutter despite being designed extremely poorly and even then it took me a few minutes to fix it. Also, where do you get this "majority" estimation? Forums? Facebook? Youtube? None of which are accurate measurements of any defining number of the total players of The Sims, so no, that's your assumption.

And yes, that's the route I'm taking, because people tend to associate a concept to a problem. "Open worlds will always bring lag and issues" is a fairly common expression which is completely false, the concept of open worlds does not tie with the issues, proven several times in TS3 via talented players. I stand by what I said.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Andygal wrote: »
    Most of the serious issues with the sims 3 could be fixed or mitigated with mods, in my experience, in the Sims 4 the issues run far to deep to be readily fixed with mods, there are just too many fundamental features missing or incomplete.

Yep, that's the thing. Sims 3's routing issues were fixable via mod. Will the issues with grayed-out sims and time management be fixable? That won't be fixed via mod, but it has to be addressed.

I really like the idea of allowing several lots to be open -- you can still have your gardener garden, your active career sim be active in their career, and perhaps even have a kid playing at the park. You could visit your neighbor while your sim at home worked on their book or explored the cosmos.

We'll see what happens. As I said before, people are talking about the open world not because of nostalgia, but because if you're going to bring in active careers, there are some real issues when it comes to managing time progression. And this time, there's not a modder around to fix them.

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2015
    I love how hardly anyone here is willing to admit the problems they had with TS3 and how everyone has gradually turned the thread into a 'this is what is wrong with TS4 thread,' despite that fact that this thread was created to serve as a reminder that however many faults TS4 has, TS3 wasn't perfect either and had just as many complaints in regards to the bugs, glitches, and lag. I've been accused of creating this thread simply to bash TS3 which is not the case at all, I invested heavily in TS3, both time and money. I've not once said TS4 is perfect, infact, quite the opposite, I know full well that it suffers from it's own problems and I too am disappointed in the lack of base game content which shipped with the game (in regards to the missing staples, I actually feel that in regards to build and buy mode TS4 offers more in it's base game than either TS2 or TS3). However, I'm not going to sit here and say that TS3 was perfect and use that as even more of an excuse to slam TS4. It wasn't. A large number of us complained about it. Yet everyone seems to have forgotten that now and believes TS3 was perfect.

Not true - the fact is i cannot make what is wrong with Sims 4 right - but i could make what was wrong with sims 3 right and without the use of mods. Anyone could and I spent months and months experiementing and fixing things then adding my findings to share with everyone in the gift forum of all places in a thread about fixing the lag and other issues in Sims 3 without mods. The fact a simmer could and did fix the game without reprogramming (which a mod just reprograms script in the programming the same as a patch can )- meant it did not have to be reprogrammed to make it better. Of course it would have been nice had the fixes been done in programming - but it was possible without it.

The fact remains I cannot fix sims 4 because things needed to fix sims 4 is not even in the game to fix. I cannot make Sims 4 more fulfilling and fun no matter how hard I try. Believe me I have endless hours to mess with a sims game and no amount of hours can fix it. It needs to at least exist somewhere in the game in the programming and map to even began to find solutions.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    kikahkikah Posts: 13 New Member
    > @Cokeandaltrock said:
    > this always happens. when TS5 is released people will do the same with TS4.
    if they cut more things, yes
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    Here you go again dragging in Island Paradise, an EP released 4 years into TS3. Four years. Four years and how many Stuff Packs and store content and patches? To compare to a Base Game only 5 months along with one Game pack a few patches, no SPs, no EPs, in a forum for TS4's upcoming EP GTW, because apparently everyone who is curious about 'Get To Work' needs to read your diatribe about how TS3 was a stinker for you so maybe we need to cut TS4 a little slack? Really?

I have played TS3 most of the day today. Started out with a little TSM then jumped over to TS3 because I am in the middle of working on a cupcake shop and getting my sim advanced through the Investigator career. I do not have the issues you suffered with from TS3. Not everyone did. Even if I did, I don't need to sit back and say. "Oh, well TS3 was laggy for me so therefore TS4 is a better product and I shouldn't voice any opinions over what I am unhappy with'.

Really?

Open world was coded poorly, it had issues. Mods fixed them. Isla Paradiso was poorly designed causing stuck sims. Whose fault is that? EA?
    Good thing they aren't the same ones working on TS4... oh wait...
    Well I am sure they'll see to every bug and glitch that comes down the pike with TS4 just like they did with TS3.. oh, hold on...

Just because something was done poorly first does that mean it should never be attempted again? Where would this world be if everyone had that philosophy?

Thank goodness EA wasn't there when the first wheel was invented. Can you imagine? A wooden cart of cavemen happily bouncing down the road to grab some nectar with the bros and a wheel pops off scattering battered and bruised bromagnons into the puckerbrush in a cloud of dust. That would have been the end of that. Wheel bad. Wheel ow. No more wheel.

I'm not using IP as a comparison of the content level within the game at this point. I'm using it as an example; Isla Paradiso was unplayable for most Simmers.

The fact that everyone in this thread has had to use mods to be able to play TS3 speaks volumes. I don't need mods for TS4.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member
    A lot of people are finding Sims 4 more or less unplayable without mods because the game keeps deleting Sims after there is a certain population (and dead Sims count), somebody had to make a mod to stop it from doing that.
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited February 2015
    Here you go again dragging in Island Paradise, an EP released 4 years into TS3. Four years. Four years and how many Stuff Packs and store content and patches? To compare to a Base Game only 5 months along with one Game pack a few patches, no SPs, no EPs, in a forum for TS4's upcoming EP GTW, because apparently everyone who is curious about 'Get To Work' needs to read your diatribe about how TS3 was a stinker for you so maybe we need to cut TS4 a little slack? Really?

I have played TS3 most of the day today. Started out with a little TSM then jumped over to TS3 because I am in the middle of working on a cupcake shop and getting my sim advanced through the Investigator career. I do not have the issues you suffered with from TS3. Not everyone did. Even if I did, I don't need to sit back and say. "Oh, well TS3 was laggy for me so therefore TS4 is a better product and I shouldn't voice any opinions over what I am unhappy with'.

Really?

Open world was coded poorly, it had issues. Mods fixed them. Isla Paradiso was poorly designed causing stuck sims. Whose fault is that? EA?
    Well I am sure they'll see to every bug and glitch that comes down the pike with TS4 just like they did with TS3.. oh, hold on...

Just because something was done poorly first does that mean it should never be attempted again? Where would this world be if everyone had that philosophy?

Thank goodness EA wasn't there when the first wheel was invented. Can you imagine? A wooden cart of cavemen happily bouncing down the road to grab some nectar with the bros and a wheel pops off scattering battered and bruised bromagnons into the puckerbrush in a cloud of dust. That would have been the end of that. Wheel bad. Wheel ow. No more wheel.

I'm not using IP as a comparison of the content level within the game at this point. I'm using it as an example; Isla Paradiso was unplayable for most Simmers.

The fact that everyone in this thread has had to use mods to be able to play TS3 speaks volumes. I don't need mods for TS4.

... Did you even read her comment? She wasn't speaking about content level, she was speaking about how a base game with little add-ons is always more stable than one with several EPs.
    You're not trying to discuss this properly, you just want to be right.
  • Options
    IgnitedTobi1IgnitedTobi1 Posts: 926 Member
    I've never had any game breaking problems with 4. I guess I'm just lucky.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    edited February 2015

Really?

You are comparing how a game ran four years into it with 10 EP's, 8 SP's, lots of DLC and patches... to one out only five months with only a single Game Pack and a few patches.

The fact that you can't seem to grasp that not EVERYONE has had to use mods to be able to play TS3 also speaks volumes but you can't seem to hear that with your fingers planted firmly in your ears. Isla Paradiso, TEN EP's in. Talk about apples to mackerel.

• Options
    mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member

Really?

Exactly. It speaks volumes about the developer's lack of care about the stability of their own product.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member

This.

I played TS3 up to about Supernatural on a dual core E5200 with a GForce 9600 GT and 4gb of Ram and I never had had a problem with crashing, freezing, overly lagging or any of what you've been describing. Sure, it was a little slow, it was an outdated rig that was over 4 years old, but I know how to tweak my games and my system to get a decent result from it. My PC now far surpasses those poor old specs, and runs TS3 with all EP's and most SP's perfectly. My game is well modded to try and deal with the poor coding and the routing issues which IS an EA problem. I also never had issue with these "empty lots" that you're going on about.
    From what I saw on the old boards, TS3 was only rendered unplayable for many of those who were trying to play the game with a ton of EP's on underpowered hardware.
    I had many issues with the lack of family gameplay, dumbed down interactions and kindergartener playstyle in TS3 but all of those are personal issues and nothing to do with the games performance.

To quote you, I'm gonna be honest, and I don't care if it comes across as rude, but I'm really sick of people coming in here and forcing their opinions on everyone else as fact. I don't need you telling me what TS3 did or did not do and passing it off as gospel, when my game clearly performed differently than yours.
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    The beginning is always full of promise, am I right? Why not just enjoy the game you like without thinking the rest of the world needs your words of wisdom by slamming a game that others still enjoy.

Absolutely this.

Also, touching on the forum thing, TS3 forums often had their moments, especially when Showtime was announced ,but I never saw the boards in the uproar of dissatisfaction that these are.

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    It seems to me that Simmers are ALREADY starting to view TS3 with rose tinted spectacles, despite a lot of us complaining about the game from the moment we got the base game in our hands. I just posted this in another thread but I thought it deserved a thread of its own to help remind a lot of people just why they were complaining about TS3.

I'm gonna be honest, and I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but I'm really sick of people going on about the open world aspect of TS3.

Throughout the tenure of TS3 THE most complained about aspects of the game were the lag, glitches, bugs, routing errors, lack of Sims just about anywhere... you name it, people moaned about it. The Sims team have removed the open world, the feature which created and contributed to ALL of these issues. It means we can enjoy a game with little lag, far fewer glitches, fewer bugs (certainly in relation to the world around our Sims), almost no routing errors (a little clipping is a small price to pay), and a lively vibrant environment FULL of Sims to interact with. And yet, all I read these days are threads regarding the lack of open world and how much people miss it.

Do people not remember how, for a lack number of users, TS3 was rendered almost unplayable because of the issues caused by the open world. How about the excitement surrounding Island Paradise, only for that to completely waiver when most of us discovered that we couldn't play for more than one Sim day without the whole thing completely lagging and glitching out on us? The fact that you could travel to all these wonderful lots... to sit by yourself because there where no Sims to be found anywhere. Heck, in Showtime they even had to create a cardboard cutout of a Sim crowd just to make it look as though your Sim was a huge superstar playing to hundreds of fans... when infact there were only five.

The open world is the most overrated aspect of TS3 and whilst I'd love to see it return without all of these problems I for one am quite happy to play a game that I can actually enjoy for more than an hour at a time without it crashing, freezing, lagging, completely breaking, or burning out my graphics card. Goodbye open world, you won't be missed.

I personally think the devs have done a fantastic job on TS4 and I'm happy to have moved on from TS3 to a game that I can really play and enjoy.
    Of
    And how many places are you going to post this??? So here is the same answer I gave you on the other post.

But whose fault is it that TS3 was so poorly scripted? EA'S. Modders created mods that made the open world much more user friendly. Not EA. Caw creators created worlds and tested them before they released them so they had no routing errors and played much smoother without issues than EA'S. So if EA had done it RIGHT, then an open world would not have been a bug fest. So instead of correcting what was wrong with the open world, they threw it out and returned somewhat to a a 12 year old style game. And even that has issues as the time management aspect is a disaster.

Most of the complaints about TS3 open world/ story progression were issues created by shoddy work from EA and users computers that were only up to specs for the base game.

Just my opinion.

Selective memory and you are correct, EA/Maxis developed and produced Sims 3 as well as Sims 4 and if there is any indication Sims 4 has it's share of bugs and issues and will continue to do so. It was not created by a third party and it was not fan made. Sims 3 worked fine for me with the exception of IP and that problem was due to EA/Maxis poor programming and it has yet to be fixed. So looking at EA/Maxis track record with it's prior projects it will be the same for Sims 4. As far as creativity in Sims 4 it has not enough due to it's limitations and I doubt any EPs/SPs/GPs can get over them limitations.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    It seems to me that Simmers are ALREADY starting to view TS3 with rose tinted spectacles, despite a lot of us complaining about the game from the moment we got the base game in our hands. I just posted this in another thread but I thought it deserved a thread of its own to help remind a lot of people just why they were complaining about TS3.

I'm gonna be honest, and I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but I'm really sick of people going on about the open world aspect of TS3.

Throughout the tenure of TS3 THE most complained about aspects of the game were the lag, glitches, bugs, routing errors, lack of Sims just about anywhere... you name it, people moaned about it. The Sims team have removed the open world, the feature which created and contributed to ALL of these issues. It means we can enjoy a game with little lag, far fewer glitches, fewer bugs (certainly in relation to the world around our Sims), almost no routing errors (a little clipping is a small price to pay), and a lively vibrant environment FULL of Sims to interact with. And yet, all I read these days are threads regarding the lack of open world and how much people miss it.

Do people not remember how, for a lack number of users, TS3 was rendered almost unplayable because of the issues caused by the open world. How about the excitement surrounding Island Paradise, only for that to completely waiver when most of us discovered that we couldn't play for more than one Sim day without the whole thing completely lagging and glitching out on us? The fact that you could travel to all these wonderful lots... to sit by yourself because there where no Sims to be found anywhere. Heck, in Showtime they even had to create a cardboard cutout of a Sim crowd just to make it look as though your Sim was a huge superstar playing to hundreds of fans... when infact there were only five.

I personally think the devs have done a fantastic job on TS4 and I'm happy to have moved on from TS3 to a game that I can really play and enjoy.

I think the open world and a everything else they took from the game was because it started as an online game. When they trashed that idea they took what was left and made the sims 4. It wasn't because they were fixing the lag or any of that. If that were the case why are they patching back the things they took out to begin with? Did they take toddlers away because of the lag? They took them out because of it being an online game. I still play the sims 3. Everyone didn't have problems with the sims 3. Why I have no idea but mine always played for me. A lot of people are having problems with the sims 4 and I suppose there are some who can play without problems.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    You're not trying to discuss this properly, you just want to be right.

This is why I've always given threads like this the side-eye. Why do people feel it's necessary to pass judgement on the opinions of others, and get bent out of shape when their opinion isn't accepted as gospel? If you want people to respect your opinion then do the same for them, rather than start some huge judgmental post about "My opinion is superior to yours and this is why."
  • Options
    LatteCrabLatteCrab Posts: 2,935 Member
    I love how hardly anyone here is willing to admit the problems they had with TS3 and how everyone has gradually turned the thread into a 'this is what is wrong with TS4 thread,
    WHY does this have to be a Sims 3 bashing thread?
    The nonstop back & forth "I am right, you are wrong", about this is uncalled for, and boring.

Not everyone had the same issues with Sims 3. I had some, but not as bad as others.
    Sims 4?
    A huge disappointment to "me".
    But I'm not making threads about it, or ranting & arguing with everyone that disagrees, all over, pushing my opinions as facts...

And I haven't had "rose-tinted" glasses since I was young and had prescription lenses with double rose tint
    (IRL, my mother's generous gift, since I hated glasses, lol. ).
  • Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited February 2015

Really?

good for you, but i need mods in the sim 4, because of the amount of bugs and glitchs in this game, make me very angry, i can't play this game without mods.

tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options

Just my opinion.

My computer is far beyond the realms of what is required to play TS3. The fact is the open world functioned poorly; an amazing concept, a terrible execution. It's also the limits that the open world posed on the game. So many things couldn't be done in TS3 (such as OFB) because the game had to load everything at once; you couldn't switch from living a Sim to managing a business as in TS2. Hence why so many of the features built into TS3 over the years were half baked. With TS4 we will be able to experience everything in it's entirety. TS3, on paper, is amazing. To actually play the game is incredibly disappointing.
    I and many will never get to play Sims 4 in it's entirety due to it's limitations and it does have limitations. My computers which are all listed in my siggy with the exception of the laptop and server plays great. So I have to disagree with you if you talking about a game that has no customization, no neighborhood creators and no terrain editors and I probably would like Sims 4 better if it had any of that and it does not. You now have to wait until EA/Maxis gives us one and how often do you think that will happen? I nor you can't answer that because there is no answer. If you have a good time playing Sims 4 then that is good for you, but others do not agree with you and probably never will.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    My computers which are all listed in my siggy with the exception of the laptop and server plays great.

You... take your gaming pretty seriously... don't you...
    *side glances all the PC's*

Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    My computers which are all listed in my siggy with the exception of the laptop and server plays great.

You... take your gaming pretty seriously... don't you...
    *side glances all the PC's*

Believe it or not I am not a hardcore gamer, I just have different uses for them. :D
  • Options
    I find it hilarious that people keep referring to missing features as if they were fixing something. They're not. They're the cheap way out, a way for EA to not deal with the problems the other game had but instead to just delete everything they felt was difficult. Open worlds have been implemented by tons of other games really successfully and are definitely not impossible (case in point: Sims 3 worked fine with outside mods, so it was perfectly possible to do, just maybe not for the EA team).

You know what you do when your technicians aren't good enough to do their job? Either you educate them further or you fire them. What you don't do is to just leave it. If a plumber I hired tells me he can't fix the sink but if I feel like it he could simply take the sink away because at least that way I don't have a faulty one he'd also not fix the problem.

Now, fair enough, Sims 4 runs on my machine without crashing while I needed mods for the Sims 3. Then again nothing really works in TS4 actually. It might not crash but Sims go and make coffee while the grim reaper takes their partner, they decide to play the guitar while their wife and mother of their five kids autonomously decides to flirt with and kiss the neighbour.

And yeah, there are more sims on the communal lots. But you know what? I'm sick and tired of seeing the Goth family everywhere and to run into the pancake family on every single lot I visit one after the other. They might force tons of sims to be there but they're always the same. And then there are townies, random strangers I can't even visit in their home because they are all basically homeless. If anything that's the opposite of a populated world, it's an empty one. Again instead of fixing the problem by making worlds big and populated they decided to go down the easy road - add about five houses sims live in and make the others just show up randomly. Nobody cares, right?

I like Outdoor Retreat and I'm hopeful for this new expansion. But please don't put TS3 down because I loved that game and I don't know why people have to put it down in order to talk TS4 up. Because in my opinion nothing at all was fixed. Modders fixed things and I will forever be grateful to them for their hard work and dedication.
    You made some good points especially about the modders and I never had to use them but for the others that had to I have wonder why can a bunch of modders get something to work that EA/Maxis themselves could never get to work or they were too lazy and I give credit and discredit when due. I just do not see that spark that I got from Sims 2 or 3. Sims 2 to me was the best even with loading screens and Sims 3 comes in a close second because of the lack of interactions and a lot of rabbit holes.