Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Goodbye Open World... Hello Rose Tinted Glasses

MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
It seems to me that Simmers are ALREADY starting to view TS3 with rose tinted spectacles, despite a lot of us complaining about the game from the moment we got the base game in our hands. I just posted this in another thread but I thought it deserved a thread of its own to help remind a lot of people just why they were complaining about TS3.

I'm gonna be honest, and I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but I'm really sick of people going on about the open world aspect of TS3.

Throughout the tenure of TS3 THE most complained about aspects of the game were the lag, glitches, bugs, routing errors, lack of Sims just about anywhere... you name it, people moaned about it. The Sims team have removed the open world, the feature which created and contributed to ALL of these issues. It means we can enjoy a game with little lag, far fewer glitches, fewer bugs (certainly in relation to the world around our Sims), almost no routing errors (a little clipping is a small price to pay), and a lively vibrant environment FULL of Sims to interact with. And yet, all I read these days are threads regarding the lack of open world and how much people miss it.

Do people not remember how, for a lack number of users, TS3 was rendered almost unplayable because of the issues caused by the open world. How about the excitement surrounding Island Paradise, only for that to completely waiver when most of us discovered that we couldn't play for more than one Sim day without the whole thing completely lagging and glitching out on us? The fact that you could travel to all these wonderful lots... to sit by yourself because there where no Sims to be found anywhere. Heck, in Showtime they even had to create a cardboard cutout of a Sim crowd just to make it look as though your Sim was a huge superstar playing to hundreds of fans... when infact there were only five.

The open world is the most overrated aspect of TS3 and whilst I'd love to see it return without all of these problems I for one am quite happy to play a game that I can actually enjoy for more than an hour at a time without it crashing, freezing, lagging, completely breaking, or burning out my graphics card. Goodbye open world, you won't be missed.

I personally think the devs have done a fantastic job on TS4 and I'm happy to have moved on from TS3 to a game that I can really play and enjoy.
tFU6JMe.png

Comments

• Options
    CokeandaltrockCokeandaltrock Posts: 70 Member
    this always happens. when TS5 is released people will do the same with TS4.
  • Options
    AndygalAndygal Posts: 1,280 Member

Only if they cut even more features from TS5 then they did from TS4, in which case I will flat out refuse to buy it.

• Options
    natashifiednatashified Posts: 3,314 Member
    Hello rose tinted glasses, goodbye open world.....
  • Options
    AubreyHartAubreyHart Posts: 132 Member
    I don't feel I do either. I loved 2 when it came out. I think a lot of the issue is they have gone from Closed world in 2, open in 3, then closed again in 4. Feels like a lot of not very well thought out ideas.

Although I do prefer 4, to three. And have recently started playing 2 again.
  • Options
    Sim_LucentSim_Lucent Posts: 689 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Well, the issues with TS3 actually could be fixed -- the same team that is bringing you TS4 decided to leave that to the realm of modders in TS3. But two modders separately fixed the open world issues. Routing errors were a problem, but that's not a problem with the concept at all; it's a problem with the implementation.

However, the choice is not, "Buggy open world" and "closed world." There are other options -- like a well programmed open or semi-open world.

.. Did these modders by chance share the fix? If so, I would love to know where so I can check it out! :)
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    I can say the same for you. You have rose tinted glasses looking at loading screens. We still have bugs, glitches, and sooner or later those loading screens time will increase. The developers should learn how to code better and shouldn't rely on removing features of the game. What if the Sims themselves cause bugs and lag the game too? Remove them as well lol.

They already are increasing. Though the last patch helped quite a bit, I can tell you that many people still are experiencing longer loading screens as their saves get older. As your saves get bigger, as your towns get more populated, and as your inventories become more full, as buildings are changed around, well, these all take time to load.

The interesting thing I find is the people who I've talked to who have this issue have, as I do, high end computers. We're talking i7s, 16+GB RAM, SSD drives, 64 bit OS. Maybe we notice it more because we have higher expectations due to our rigs (and our experiences playing other games on said rigs).

• Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    edited February 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »
    EasyToRead wrote: »
    I can say the same for you. You have rose tinted glasses looking at loading screens. We still have bugs, glitches, and sooner or later those loading screens time will increase. The developers should learn how to code better and shouldn't rely on removing features of the game. What if the Sims themselves cause bugs and lag the game too? Remove them as well lol.

They already are increasing. Though the last patch helped quite a bit, I can tell you that many people still are experiencing longer loading screens as their saves get older. As your saves get bigger, as your towns get more populated, and as your inventories become more full, as buildings are changed around, well, these all take time to load.

The interesting thing I find is the people who I've talked to who have this issue have, as I do, high end computers. We're talking i7s, 16+GB RAM, SSD drives, 64 bit OS. Maybe we notice it more because we have higher expectations due to our rigs (and our experiences playing other games on said rigs).

I've had the same save since when The Sims 4 was launched and noticed my load times go from 5 secs to almost 30secs. Has the Sims in town have progressed it's caused the coding to try and reset the town every now and again i.e clean up sims etc which i'm guessing is caused by the "sims stopping while time progresses" bug which is happening.
  • Options
    Just because the first time they tried it, it was flawed. That doesn't mean that they can't do it again but better. *cough Olympus**
  • Options
    MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited February 2015
    kimjo313 wrote: »
    And how many places are you going to post this??? So here is the same answer I gave you on the other post.

But whose fault is it that TS3 was so poorly scripted? EA'S. Modders created mods that made the open world much more user friendly. Not EA. Caw creators created worlds and tested them before they released them so they had no routing errors and played much smoother without issues than EA'S. So if EA had done it RIGHT, then an open world would not have been a bug fest. So instead of correcting what was wrong with the open world, they threw it out and returned somewhat to a a 12 year old style game. And even that has issues as the time management aspect is a disaster.

Most of the complaints about TS3 open world/ story progression were issues created by shoddy work from EA and users computers that were only up to specs for the base game.

Just my opinion.

kim :\

My computer is far beyond the realms of what is required to play TS3. The fact is the open world functioned poorly; an amazing concept, a terrible execution. It's also the limits that the open world posed on the game. So many things couldn't be done in TS3 (such as OFB) because the game had to load everything at once; you couldn't switch from living a Sim to managing a business as in TS2. Hence why so many of the features built into TS3 over the years were half baked. With TS4 we will be able to experience everything in it's entirety. TS3, on paper, is amazing. To actually play the game is incredibly disappointing.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Options
    Vlaxitov wrote: »

No this doesn't always happen.

People didn't have to slam TS1 to feel good about playing TS2.

People didn't have to slam TS2 to feel good about playing TS3.

Its only now that its always happening.

I blame more active internet users.
  • Options
    knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    Moodbeamy wrote: »
    And how many places are you going to post this??? So here is the same answer I gave you on the other post.

But whose fault is it that TS3 was so poorly scripted? EA'S. Modders created mods that made the open world much more user friendly. Not EA. Caw creators created worlds and tested them before they released them so they had no routing errors and played much smoother without issues than EA'S. So if EA had done it RIGHT, then an open world would not have been a bug fest. So instead of correcting what was wrong with the open world, they threw it out and returned somewhat to a a 12 year old style game. And even that has issues as the time management aspect is a disaster.

Most of the complaints about TS3 open world/ story progression were issues created by shoddy work from EA and users computers that were only up to specs for the base game.

Just my opinion.

My computer is far beyond the realms of what is required to play TS3. The fact is the open world functioned poorly; an amazing concept, a terrible execution. It's also the limits that the open world posed on the game. So many things couldn't be done in TS3 (such as OFB)

No matter how good your computer was, it's not going to change the poor coding of the open world.
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2015
    Yes. You're right. S3 had issues, but not because of the open world (I never liked it anyway). The issues were caused by bad programming.

As for S4 doing it differently to give us smoother gameplay, I think not. We've run into bad programming once again.

S4 Since Launch:
    • Broken Ultra speed and no keyboard assignment
    • 2 'say goodbye' interactions with no changes to the wording
    • Sims standing inside each other while chatting
    • Uncleanable toilets
    • Neighbourhoods becoming borked like one neighbourhood has merged with another (very rare)
    • Broken bar. Sims dont always get their drink when they order it.
    • Loads progressively taking longer for some people
    • Can't graft sage on to basil
    • Cowberries disppear entirely when put into a planter.
    • Musical chairs
    • Game crashing to desktop for some users

Since December:
    • Broken moodlets
    • Bar more broken than before. Sims now oder consistently one after another, and still recieve no drink--fixed in Feb
    • Children and teens showing up in bars
    • Broken multitasking
    • Sims taking longer to complete tasks as if they think they're multitasking when they're not
    • Sims suddenly jumping to a standing position as if they've been reset during conversations
    • Sims standing on sidewalks when entering home lots
    • Musical chairs became progressively worse
    • Some players experience an issue where food can't be retrieved from the fridge

Since February
    • Children and teens still showing up in bars
    • Ultra speed is still broken
    • Plumbing items brought into a house after move in are unusable by sims
    • Food brought into a house after move in causes the fridge to be broken. Trying to sell it will say the object is not found

Anything that isn't crossed out and doesn't say fixed in my list still exists.

These are just the issues I've run into or witnessed from other players.

There is a fully compiled list over at the EA Sims 4 Bug report thread. Feel free to take a read:
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/READ-FIRST-Compiled-list-of-Bugs/m-p/3445209#U3445209
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I like the Sims 4 :p Having a semi open world doesn't bother me at all I think that it would be very cool if they opened the neighborhoods for us to go to our neighbor's houses but I don't miss it from TS3. What annoys me the most is the big gaps between lifestages and I still hope toddlers will make a come back in a patch, some people me included really need them!
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    Moodbeamy wrote: »

Just my opinion.

My computer is far beyond the realms of what is required to play TS3. The fact is the open world functioned poorly; an amazing concept, a terrible execution. It's also the limits that the open world posed on the game. So many things couldn't be done in TS3 (such as OFB)

And did see the part about SHODDY CODING BY EA?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln