Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inquisitr-"Did Maxis and EA Games just admit the game is a flop? "

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Okay, just a follow up on those thinking that SimGuruGrant cares enough beg:

ts4-simgurugrant_twit-01.jpg

As you can see... NOT :smirk:

2 words: damage control :p

LOL! You guys crack me up!

This guy obviously lost the simguru popularity contest a long time ago since: "things change"--although you have to love that quote when their sales records changed right along with those "things".

Anyway, can anyone wonder why this guy lost his password here :smirk:
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member

This guy obviously lost the simguru popularity contest a long time ago since: "things change"--although you have to love that quote when their sales records changed right along with those "things".

Well, apparently his account was setup with, and I quote from himself; "Some weird admin stuff." and it isn't so easy to recover.

Well, GG devs, if you can't do something as simple as recovering your account on a forum board via its administration panel, I wonder what goodies we will see in the future for TS4. That is assuming he's even telling the truth.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

"lost" he just doesn't want to be in a place where we can write books worthy of what's wrong with the game lol
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

Haha! Actually there are others higher on my list of gurus I am unhappy with.

Well he is a self proclaimed idiot....says so all the time....so that might have something to do with it. Oh he did tweet he's trying to figure that out, like he would ever use it. I asked if that meant we could look forward to seeing him sometime in the future....*crickets* yup that's what I thought :|
  • Options
    FairyLights1FairyLights1 Posts: 759 Member
    It's a fun game, but it really is a step backwards from 3..

I feel creativity is limited, from no Create a style, to limited amount of lots, no create a world.. It just really sucks in that way, cause you just feel you are in the limits of the game's surroundings..it looks pretty, but you can do virtually nothing in it!

To correct what they did wrong would be easy..put back in the game what the fans have always loved..and make it even better!
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    I hate to break it to you but I had faith that 'player first' was a real thing-that once he was made aware he would do something about this. But I think it's safe to say he knows now and where has it got us? Absolutely nowhere.

I expected better of EA under Andrew Wilson for those reasons but so far I see the absolute opposite actions by his company to what he says. And you know that saying? Actions speak louder than words...

I cannot wrap my head around the situation at all. They are looking a gift horse in the mouth in terms of our loyalty.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member

Seamoan wrote: »
    Vlaxitov wrote: »
    Yeah the culling is an unbelievably bad design choice.

What, you couldn't regulate the population by cutting off the random importation of sims beyond a certain point?

You couldn't just give us a hard number for a max limit of sims to work with?

The way it is now isn't even slightly reasonable and they don't even disclose how it works at the onset of the game.

All they really need to do is add a button to the UI, along with other options please like aging, etc please - that says Manage Population, you then select household you wish to lock and keep. If that is too hard, then it really is stuffed.

TBH I never needed sims randomly imported into my neighborhoods either.

I think most of us are capable enough to create or import our own townies.

Indeed, that is true for me as well.

Then add a button that says Generate Random Population for those that don't want to create everything themselves. The code to do this function is obviously there.

I don't know why they keep going so far away from this when it's obviously an option people always want. It should work like TS2's townie tree/gun worked with NPCs/Townies - if you want your own, create your own - if you want us to create it for you, click the button and we'll create it for you.

My secret dream is that they would do this with entire neighborhoods so we can set stuff up the way we want to set it up.

This is my dream, too. Just let me create the townies and give them jobs that actually account for something in the neighborhood. --And I've been playing Medieval lately and am still enamored at the way the whole town works together. Every sim has a job or position in the town and they fulfill it. I wish they would throw those kinds of townies into the game. Just for the background...to actually do something and perform. This wandering sim with nowhere to go and nothing to do is a bit over the top and unnecessary.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Does anyone else remember hearing a guru talk about how we can create a pool of townies that our game would draw from? I took that to mean that our game would pick our sims from our libraries instead of create randomly generated, not in world, culled on a regular basis sims. I had visions of setting the townie pool for each world we got so they would all fit with the style.
    Did I dream that? Was that something that changed?

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited January 2015
    Does anyone else remember hearing a guru talk about how we can create a pool of townies that our game would draw from? I took that to mean that our game would pick our sims from our libraries instead of create randomly generated, not in world, culled on a regular basis sims. I had visions of setting the townie pool for each world we got so they would all fit with the style.

That was probably scrapped.

They also said things like all life stages present in past games would be in TS4 and we would be able to draw out a path for our Sims to walk in. Just more stuff that never happened.
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member

They always say, things change....
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

I remember that too!! You haven't lost it :D
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    06Bon06 wrote: »

I remember that too!! You haven't lost it :D

"Things change."
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

That was probably scrapped.

They also said things like all life stages present in past games would be in TS4 and we would be able to draw out a path for our Sims to walk in. Just more stuff that never happened.

But they said that nearing release...at least the first release date. I also remember one of the gurus saying something like he watched a townie stomping across the park in a wedding dress and it appeared that she had been left at the altar. I took that to mean that the townies were actually going to be doing things on their own...like getting married at the park and getting left at the altar. I didn't realize that he just hadn't ever played the game.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    lol, thanks! I wasn't sure if I had just made it up because it sounded like a nice idea or if it was something which was mentioned. Good to know I wasn't imagining this.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

I do remember that. That was Graham. But he wasn't talking about pulling the sims from your library. He said there is a file in the game (I do not remember which), but it holds all the "random sims" that show up in town. He said you could delete all the names in the file, and make sims and add those sims you made names to the list, so they would be the sims chosen to be townies. It was in theory, as he had never actually tried it.
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Seamoan wrote: »
    Yeah the culling is an unbelievably bad design choice.

What, you couldn't regulate the population by cutting off the random importation of sims beyond a certain point?

You couldn't just give us a hard number for a max limit of sims to work with?

The way it is now isn't even slightly reasonable and they don't even disclose how it works at the onset of the game.

All they really need to do is add a button to the UI, along with other options please like aging, etc please - that says Manage Population, you then select household you wish to lock and keep. If that is too hard, then it really is stuffed.

TBH I never needed sims randomly imported into my neighborhoods either.

I think most of us are capable enough to create or import our own townies.

Indeed, that is true for me as well.

Then add a button that says Generate Random Population for those that don't want to create everything themselves. The code to do this function is obviously there.

I don't know why they keep going so far away from this when it's obviously an option people always want. It should work like TS2's townie tree/gun worked with NPCs/Townies - if you want your own, create your own - if you want us to create it for you, click the button and we'll create it for you.

My secret dream is that they would do this with entire neighborhoods so we can set stuff up the way we want to set it up.

This is my dream, too. Just let me create the townies and give them jobs that actually account for something in the neighborhood. --And I've been playing Medieval lately and am still enamored at the way the whole town works together. Every sim has a job or position in the town and they fulfill it. I wish they would throw those kinds of townies into the game. Just for the background...to actually do something and perform. This wandering sim with nowhere to go and nothing to do is a bit over the top and unnecessary.

This is exactly how I play too :). I'm medieval and every single one of my lovingly, hand-crafted sims has a purpose in the world. Even if it's just some NPC, they have an identity, a job and a recognizable name. This is a fun sims game for me, my sims have a place and all work together in a really cool way. That's TS2 though, letting me play however I want to play. I'd even be okay with story progression if I could create the environment and sims myself. I just want some control back.

More on topic - I still think that Maxis/EA knows they messed up and are trying to turn back the hands of time with this free trial. I'm glad though, I got to validate that this isn't the game for me.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Wait, in Sims 2, you can actually select non-played sims and have them work and progress in their jobs? I would love to have something like that. A button click where you can actually direct their lives without having to actually play them would be, for me, a decent alternative to story progression.

I'd also like their relationships to not progress unless I deliberately had the active sim directing it.
  • Options
    Crunchie885Crunchie885 Posts: 529 Member
    CursedDice wrote: »
    Looking for a new creative director? Hmm.. Who is the current creative director?

http://careersearch.ea.com/redwood-city/game-design/jobid5537106-creative-director-jobs
    In case anyone is interested.

There's a creative director!?

Is that why the most creative thing we have are angry poops :(
  • Options
    cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    CursedDice wrote: »
    Looking for a new creative director? Hmm.. Who is the current creative director?

http://careersearch.ea.com/redwood-city/game-design/jobid5537106-creative-director-jobs
    In case anyone is interested.

There's a creative director!?

Is that why the most creative thing we have are angry poops :(

Keyword: Weirder Stories

Very weird indeed
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • Options
    SeamoanSeamoan Posts: 1,323 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Wait, in Sims 2, you can actually select non-played sims and have them work and progress in their jobs? I would love to have something like that. A button click where you can actually direct their lives without having to actually play them would be, for me, a decent alternative to story progression.

I'd also like their relationships to not progress unless I deliberately had the active sim directing it.

In the sims 2, every single one of my sims works for another sim or is an npc. That way, even if it's not a sim I want to play out, I can still have some kind of attachment and cheat/select/play them if I feel so inclined (like if I want a sim to fall in love with another sim, I'll get them to a place with my playable sim, select them and then play out the romantic stuff in that environment. Think speed dating with a bunch of sims). And since they all work for my playable sims, I can get my sim to promote all the townie sims to whatever job level I feel like they deserve. Not to mention that the sims all have cool career titles like "manager at Seamons fancy resturant".

Then I age them up when I age the sim I'm playing up, so it's like story progression where I have total and absolute control. And no babies popping up unless I play it out myself.

And I'm convinced EA and Maxis will do everything in their power to take feedback to heart since they realize that the Sims 4 is flopping.

• Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited January 2015
    Wow you all have been busy while I was gone! I've caught up now, so will just add a few thoughts about things I've read the past 6 pages. My apologies in advance if I make little to no sense - I'm diabetic & had a bad sugar episode, so while I feel like communicating here again I may not sound coherent. Lol

EA/Maxis relationship - Imo someone, somewhere is being fed a line of bull & believing it. It could even be a two-way thing. It makes no logical sense to me with The Sims being one of the most successful games series ever that Maxis would be treated as a lesser development team than any of EA's others. If anything, I'd think the reverse would be true.

Too expensive/too hard - I think this is two lines of bull being fed to us - one from each side of EA/Maxis. This ties in to my statement above in regard to budget for Maxis, as well as the lack of communication with us on what is or is not possible to implement in TS4.

I get that EA wants to make as much money as possible, & that the original direction of the game was scrapped. When the decision to go in a new direction was made, there had to be at least one meeting regarding the additional costs related to that choice - & unforeseen expenses have to figure into that equation.

The development side had to give some sort of realistic timeframe estimate. Granted, they seem to not have final say & may have been given a shorter timeframe in which to get things done. But if what I read earlier about them working on 50 EPs simultaneously is even remotely true, then they needed to shift some people around as I said in an earlier post. Talk about too many irons in the fire! No wonder they keep saying things are too hard.

I'm not buying any of it. I think EA fully understands the concept of spending money to make money, & also fully understood there would be significant additional expense when they changed the game's focus. I also believe the development team is capable of doing much more than they want us to believe, & since they managed to become part of the development team I assume they actually are qualified to perform the job for which they were hired.

I think both sides believe we know far less about programming, business management, etc. than we actually do. So while they keep saying it's too expensive or difficult, & we can't know for certain that it isn't, I just get the feeling they're patting us all on the head like we're children while saying it, like we couldn't possibly comprehend anything technical or mathematical. And I find that more than a little irritating.

Edit to add a forgotten "a"
    Post edited by SpradaciSproj on
  • Options
    InannaWintermoonInannaWintermoon Posts: 3,400 Member
    Wow you all have been busy while I was gone! I've caught up now, so will just add a few thoughts about things I've read the past 6 pages. My apologies in advance if I make little to no sense - I'm diabetic & had a bad sugar episode, so while I feel like communicating here again I may not sound coherent. Lol

EA/Maxis relationship - Imo someone, somewhere is being fed a line of bull & believing it. It could even be a two-way thing. It makes no logical sense to me with The Sims being one of the most successful games series ever that Maxis would be treated as a lesser development team than any of EA's others. If anything, I'd think the reverse would be true.

Too expensive/too hard - I think this is two lines of bull being fed to us - one from each side of EA/Maxis. This ties in to my statement above in regard to budget for Maxis, as well as the lack of communication with us on what is or is not possible to implement in TS4.

I get that EA wants to make as much money as possible, & that the original direction of the game was scrapped. When the decision to go in a new direction was made, there had to be at least one meeting regarding the additional costs related to that choice - & unforeseen expenses have to figure into that equation.

The development side had to give some sort of realistic timeframe estimate. Granted, they seem to not have final say & may have been given a shorter timeframe in which to get things done. But if what I read earlier about them working on 50 EPs simultaneously is even remotely true, then they needed to shift some people around as I said in an earlier post. Talk about too many irons in the fire! No wonder they keep saying things are too hard.

I'm not buying any of it. I think EA fully understands the concept of spending money to make money, & also fully understood there would be significant additional expense when they changed the game's focus. I also believe the development team is capable of doing much more than they want us to believe, & since they managed to become part of the development team I assume they actually are qualified to perform the job for which they were hired.

I think both sides believe we know far less about programming, business management, etc. than we actually do. So while they keep saying it's too expensive or difficult, & we can't know for certain that it isn't, I just get the feeling they're patting us all on the head like we're children while saying it, like we couldn't possibly comprehend anything technical or mathematical. And I find that more than little irritating.

I like how you think <3
    It's quite drop from the top, so how ya feeling down there?
  • Options
    VlaxitovVlaxitov Posts: 5,798 Member
    edited January 2015
    I get that EA wants to make as much money as possible

That and art are two things that are irreconcilable.

Skip to 2:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCFublsFIXg
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    edited January 2015
    @Vlaxitov One of my favorite films. :)

I guess I was lucky in my working days. I worked as an artist, including in the computer gaming industry. I never worked anywhere that our budget was so limited that we were crippled.

I also never worked anywhere where I could say something was too hard - I'd have been fired.

ETA: Off-topic but $20-$25 million. I had to smile at that.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top