Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inquisitr-"Did Maxis and EA Games just admit the game is a flop? "

Comments

• Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    @Vondiita
    Vondiita wrote: »
    gM1V25e.png

I really love the game, despite it's faults. But for me, just this
    tweet alone screams "desperation".

WHOA! A simguru is actually begging. I knew the game was doing bad in sales. Like it took two or three months just to make the one million mark when The Sims 3 made one million in one week! But to see this. WHOA! I'm dumbfounded. There's no color plumbbob for that. My plumbbob might as well crash and break my coffee table. This is ridiculous lol.
  • Options
    nilaniusnilanius Posts: 1,984 Member
    nilanius wrote: »
    My favorite part happens at 2:33 of the video - it's what I've said for months now was their plan all along.

Yep, when I saw that I was all "OMG... this is so what is happening with Sims 4 right now!". They really are making people buy missing content that should of been in the game from the start, from origin as "game packs" lol

Exactly. It also speaks to what others have mentioned about not understanding who their true customer base is.

I also believe what others have previously said re EA banking on tweeners & microtransaction-type players coming aboard the USS Sims in droves. They felt us older simmers were too old to be considered in their vision - I mean I'm 52; I couldn't possibly still be interested in gaming. :unamused: Plus, most people I know that are my age aren't into microtransaction-type games, so we didn't fit their vision yet again.

Unfortunately for them, there are plenty of us old fogeys that are still keen enough of mind to understand economics.

Edit for typo that caused plum censor

What got me, was the fact the forum kept redirecting the youtube link to a plum channel lol. I looked the link itself over, and could see absolutely no reason why the forum would do that. Also, I'm still pretty young in my late 30's. And I plan to game game game game till I die lol.
    tumblr_static_plumbob.gif
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Cyron43 wrote: »
    colton147 wrote: »
    LOL so even Grant admits S4 is not his favorite game!
    laughing-019.gif

His boss seriously needs to pull him off of Twitter, or at least require him to submit his entries for review before posting.

I think people forget that even tweeting is publishing, and when you're using your companies name, ever tweet is a press release. For good or bad, Twitter is not the same as chatting with friends. I think people seem to forget that social media is not the same and just chatting with people.

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Sims1 & 2 had expansions in 6 months.

Sims3 had its first expansion in 5 months.

It is now 4 1/2 months...so whats the deal with Sims4?

Or......are they just planning to put out 'game packs' every couple of months at 20 bucks a pop?

Have EPs been confirmed at all? I know they were talking about a GP every three months, but I haven't seen anyone but fans talk about EPs.
  • Options
    SpradaciSprojSpradaciSproj Posts: 1,272 Member
    My favorite part happens at 2:33 of the video - it's what I've said for months now was their plan all along.

Yep, when I saw that I was all "OMG... this is so what is happening with Sims 4 right now!". They really are making people buy missing content that should of been in the game from the start, from origin as "game packs" lol

Exactly. It also speaks to what others have mentioned about not understanding who their true customer base is.

I also believe what others have previously said re EA banking on tweeners & microtransaction-type players coming aboard the USS Sims in droves. They felt us older simmers were too old to be considered in their vision - I mean I'm 52; I couldn't possibly still be interested in gaming. :unamused: Plus, most people I know that are my age aren't into microtransaction-type games, so we didn't fit their vision yet again.

Unfortunately for them, there are plenty of us old fogeys that are still keen enough of mind to understand economics.

What got me, was the fact the forum kept redirecting the youtube link to a plum channel lol. I looked the link itself over, and could see absolutely no reason why the forum would do that. Also, I'm still pretty young in my late 30's. And I plan to game game game game till I die lol.

Someone tried to post a link to the same video yesterday & the same thing happened. I'm glad you got it in here properly so I could see it. :)

I also plan on gaming until I die. They can pry my mouse from my cold, dead hands. Lol
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    ejoslin wrote: »

Or......are they just planning to put out 'game packs' every couple of months at 20 bucks a pop?

Have EPs been confirmed at all? I know they were talking about a GP every three months, but I haven't seen anyone but fans talk about EPs.

Those Sims 4 Origin cash card things mention EPs.
  • Options
    JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

Really confirmed?? No, but they did say there will be EP's in the future. Of course things change. :|
  • Options
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Really confirmed?? No, but they did say there will be EP's in the future. Of course things change. :|

I do recall them saying before release that even when the game released, they already were working on 50 expansions... at once...

So we've got number 1: Outdoor retreat - adds a single camping vacation world, and a couple object

So if we go by that tiny bit of a pack...

Game Pack 2: Toddlers galore - new life state toddlers, and a few objects

Game pack 3: family time! - family tree, maybe a few objects

and the list goes on and on. No thanks EA.
    My current feelings about The Sims 4. Here is hoping The Sims 5 can restore The Sims franchise.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited January 2015
    No one should have to force themselves to like a game. I've seen a few people mention that now. A game should be involving, captivating and entertaining on its own, and a player should never have to keep plugging away at attempting to enjoy it almost as if it were a job. Once that happens, then it should be clear that there is a problem, either with the player perhaps outgrowing said game series, or, with the game itself. Since the folks I've seen make this remark are still playing TS3 and in some cases TS2 then I believe the problem doesn't lie with them outgrowing the series, and that the issues lie with the game itself.

I'm not a PR person, or Dev, neither do I work in marketing. It just seems like common sense to me, so If I can see this, why can't those people ? Do they need to be hit over the head with a bag of hammers before they realize that "hey! There's an issue here and it isn't with our player base..." or are they really SO blind and clueless that they just can't see the trees for the forest?
    Or is it just stubborn pride, embarrassment or apprehension from EA in regard to admitting that they were wrong, and that they directed their developers to rescue their pre-fail freeplay MMO and attempt to turn it into an entire sims game that most certainly lacks the love and care that have gone into prior versions?

Edit - CURSE this IPad and its auto correct!
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    I do recall them saying before release that even when the game released, they already were working on 50 expansions... at once...

So we've got number 1: Outdoor retreat - adds a single camping vacation world, and a couple object

50?! That seems a bit optimistic. Perhaps they should've cut down on expansion packs development & concentrated on a complete, functional actual sims game.

• Options

Ahhhh you still think we are getting toddlers. That's so cute :p
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member

50?! That seems a bit optimistic. Perhaps they should've cut down on expansion packs development & concentrated on a complete, functional actual sims game.

More like, 50 store items GP
  • Options
    Cyron43Cyron43 Posts: 8,055 Member
    edited January 2015
    laughing-019.gif

His boss seriously needs to pull him off of Twitter, or at least require him to submit his entries for review before posting.

I think people forget that even tweeting is publishing, and when you're using your companies name, ever tweet is a press release. For good or bad, Twitter is not the same as chatting with friends. I think people seem to forget that social media is not the same and just chatting with people.
    You know what? I am thinking about this behavior since hours and - well it's just a feeling - but for me it looks like Grant doesn't care much anymore. He knows very well from the past that we are able to read between his lines. Maybe he got his layoff already? Please, I don't want to start rumors here. It's just a thought!

This space is for rent.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

Well, lad..I be older than thee, and tha'll 'ave to pry 't controller fra my cold dead 'ands.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    dbl post
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    Pary wrote: »
    No one should have to force themselves to like a game. I've seen a few people mention that now. A game should be involving, captivating and entertaining on its own, and a player should never have to keep plugging away at attempting to enjoy it almost as if it were a job. Once that happens, then it should be clear that there is a problem, either with the player perhaps outgrowing said game series, or, with the game itself. Since the folks I've seen make this remark are still playing TS3 and in some cases TS2 then I believe the problem doesn't lie with them outgrowing the series, and that the issues lie with the game itself.

I'm not a PR person, or Dev, neither do I work in marketing. It just seems like common sense to me, so If I can see this, why can't those people ? Do they need to be hit over the head with a bag of hammers before they realize that "hey! There's an issue here and it isn't with our player base..." or are they really SO blind and clueless that they just can't see the trees for the forest?
    Or is it just stubborn pride, embarrassment or apprehension from EA in regard to admitting that they were wrong, and that they directed their developers to rescue their pre-fail freeplay MMO and attempt to turn it into an entire sims game that most certainly lacks the love and care that have gone into prior versions?

Edit - CURSE this IPad and its auto correct!

Yes I never understood why anyone would want to try to force themselves to like a game. I have seen people say that, I know you spent money on it, but geez you can't make something, something it's not.

I have no idea, really they can not be blind to this. It is everywhere. Disappointment is oozing all over the internet, no matter where you go. So no I do not think they are not seeing it, they saw it before the game was even out first hand. If you saw those LP's, their "enjoyment" of the game is so forced and scripted, it was horrible to watch. I'm sorry but if a developer has to try to force themselves to like a game, or even just to say something positive about it, then that is a game I don't ever want to touch. Compared to old Sims LP's, where it looked as if they were actually enjoying what they were doing, you could see the pride they had in their work. That does not exist for this game, physical language speaks louder then words.
  • Options
    DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    Welcome To The Sims 4: 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Expansion. From the makers that brought you bare. I mean The Sims 4 comes a brand new expansion that's a play of words a minute. You think you paid all of your bills. Well I'm hear to tell you that's a load of crap. Sims can now only pay part of their bill in order to calm the bill collectors down while trying to gather the rest of the funds. You can even lie and say your going to pay your bills tomorrow through the use of the computer. Are you ready for more group activities. This expansion includes a soccer ball, a hacky sack, swings, and a foot and hand ball. What is 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about it. It's all decor. Decor to give you new outdoor decorations to create the illusions of actual activitiy. No interactive options needed. This expansion is all about the illusions.

From paintings of toddlers to chalk drawings of Sims swimming in the ocean we have provided many new decor items to create illusions of what our fans loved of the past. We are here to tell you that this expansion will bring you a lot of false hopes to provide your Sims of new stories to tell from a "just got punked" prospective. Be prepared for your Sims to be "Tactile" and "Intuitive" this summer. lol.
  • Options

Honestly, doubt it. I was only using toddlers as an example. I don't even think they can even add a family tree, since they designed the system to completely erase unplayed sims after a while, to a point where it is as though they never existed. So a family tree would not work because past relatives, would be disappearing from that tree like crazy.
  • Options
    laughing-019.gif

Twitter, Facebook and it's ilk will be some really nasty, bad chicken coming home to roost for some people in the future.

He does need pulling off twitter, he should be posting in a calm discussion thread similar to the technical chat thread with SimGurMax which is one of the best threads I have read on these forums, until it gets derailed at about page 20.
    Awake.
    The day's divinity....
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    edited January 2015
    laughing-019.gif

You know what? I am thinking about this behavior since hours and - well it's just a feeling - but for me it looks like Grant doesn't care much anymore. He knows very well from the past that we are able to read between his lines. Maybe he got his layoff already? Please, I don't want to start rumors here. It's just a thought!
    Or maybe he's burned out and upset because he knows the game is a fail and can't do anything about it? Just a suggestion...
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options

Honestly, doubt it. I was only using toddlers as an example. I don't even think they can even add a family tree, since they designed the system to completely erase unplayed sims after a while, to a point where it is as though they never existed. So a family tree would not work because past relatives, would be disappearing from that tree like crazy.

I didn't think it was possible to make me any sadder about TS4, but I think you're right about family trees. :cry:

Incest as a game norm - nice family game you're selling, EA. :disappointed:
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    laughing-019.gif

That or he doesn't have that critical sensor when dealing with the public. You can say anything to friends but when you are releasing information to the public as an employee, you better think twice what you wrote, He got in trouble for saying toddlers would be in game and that begging tweet of his was removed.
  • Options

Indeed I think your right. What were they thinking with this "sims culling"? It is awful, family and friends disappearing, you try to start up a romantic relationship with someone, get to know them...boom their just gone! :| Seriously who thought this up and thought it was a good idea?
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member

Indeed I think your right. What were they thinking with this "sims culling"? It is awful, family and friends disappearing, you try to start up a romantic relationship with someone, get to know them...boom their just gone! :|Seriously who thought this up and thought it was a good idea?

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named?
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options

I didn't think it was possible to make me any sadder about TS4, but I think you're right about family trees. :cry:

Incest as a game norm - nice family game you're selling, EA. :disappointed:

Yeah I know, when I saw a Guru explain why sims and even ghosts would disappear after a while, I knew then, the game can never have a family tree if it will empty the graves after a couple generations. Even Sims 2 has family tree! And considering that incest bug still prevails to this day, I don't want to see my favorite sim's daughter, suddenly get it on with her brother when she and him age to teens. Just... no... But given also the size of the world, to spread the family out cuz I like having the kids move out into their own place, eventually I'd end up with a world completely full of my sims relatives... Then who would they date? They wouldn't be able to date too long, they'd have to hurry the relationship along with townies very quickly or else townie one day the following week goes poof.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top